Nurse Seo

100 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

01 | Nurse Seo

 

:::

 

 

Seohyun is a 25 years old nurse for three years and still counting.

 

Within these three years, she had accomplished a lot of things, including being the best nurse in every year. That's how good she is in her chosen career.

 

But It wasn't easy as it seems to be. To be able to do her job, she has to give up her time with her family, friends and give up her first love. But all of these are worth it, every time she can hear praises from doctors and so as the patients in the hospital. Everyone adores her basically.

 

Despite all of her accomplishments, she remains humble and kind hearted person. Perhaps of the fact that she encounters different kinds of people around the hospital.

 

"Nurse Seo, Doctor Kim asks you to come over her office." Upon hearing the call, she leaned into the little kid lying in the hospital bed and whispers, "Be back later, Jeno." She kissed his forehead and leaned out, smiling sweetly. She rubs his cheeks with her thumb for quite a while before she turns on her heels and left the ward casually.

 

She let out a relief of sigh and proceeds to the mentioned Doctor earlier. She knocked twice on her door before she was told to come in. She did as what the doctor say, greeting a bow to the doctor consequently.

 

"Mrs. Kwon, meet Nurse Seo, she's the best nurse in our hospital." Doctor Kim introduces, referring to the person sitting before her.

 

Seohyun's attention shifted to the person sitting while back facing her. She put on a best smile as the woman turned her head to her.

 

"She's the best nurse?" The woman look at her from head to toe, as if trying to convince herself that she is THE best indeed. She felt a little intimidated as the latter returned her attention to the doctor. "Give me someone that can look over twenty four hours. It looks like this girl will just eat everything in our refrigerator. How can you tell me she is THE best? Eh?"

 

Seohyun was stunned. "Excuse me?" As she felt offended as well.

 

"Mrs. Kwon, Nurse Seo-"

 

"In what rank are you in the Licensure Exam, Miss?" The cold gazes from the woman made Seohyun gulped and felt her heart nervously beating. suddenly freezes when she tried to answer. "Or how did your MCAT went? Did you score high? You are only the best if you do."

 

"What? You're mute now?" The woman spats, not even blinking.

 

She wanted to answer but her doctor signals her to come out for a while. She exhaled and slowly complied. She bowed then left the office casually. But the moment she's outside, she stomped her feet out of irritation. "What kind of a woman is that?" She muttered and puffs. "Some people doesn't seem to have the right to live with that kind of attitude." sure, she doesn't like it if people judge her with only her looks. "Aish, she just made me really pissed." Leaving the office completely, she headed to the cafeteria, giving herself time to relax before going to her job.

 

-

 

Exhaling, Seohyun composed herself, fixed her black hair and slowly reached for the doorknob after knocking on it twice. She pushed the door gently, and walked in, bowing consequently. Once again, the same woman is still in her seat. Yet, she seemed not going to talk trash on her anymore.

 

"Nurse Seo, I want you to meet Mrs. Kwon-Jung Jessica again." Doctor Kim told her. "Mrs. Kwon, Nurse Seo, the only qualified nurse. She will be with you starting tomorrow as we start for your therapy."

 

The woman slowly gets up and turned to her, the same cold gazes. However, she held out her hand towards her. "Jung Jessica. Just call me in that surname. Oh, Nice to meet you, Nurse Seo." her face is poker.

 

"N-Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Jung." Seohyun is apparently confused. Her eyes averted right away to the midget Doctor. "What is this Doctor Kim? I don't seem understand what is going on."

 

Doctor Kim stood up and approached them. "Nurse Seo, Mrs. Jung... she has a stage three cancer. She needs a private nurse that will look into her. Out from the nurses I have presented, it happens to be you, the only nurse that can take care of her 24 four hours."

 

"Really? B-But I haven't even agreed? How can you immediately decide?"

 

"Twenty-five Thousand dollars a month, I assume you would agree?" Mrs. Jung butted, almost immediately.

 

Seohyun widened her eyes in surprise. "Are you kidding me? My salary here is-"

 

"I'll double it then. Deal?"

 

Agape and still speechless... Seohyun grabs Doctor Kim's arm and drags her outside, signaling the cancer patient to stay where she is before they have completely went out. "Is she some kind of stupid rather? Why would she hire me with that kind of amount? Bu-But... No way! I don't want this job, Doctor kim." she firmly disagreed. With the kind of attitude the woman is showing to her, she's pretty sure not going to like being near with her.

 

"I knew you would be like this. But Nurse Seo, think of your family and their needs first. That amount she's offering can already send your younger brother to college. Give your parents a restaurant business. Or even, give yourself a time for break. Go out of the country after this job. Come on, I know you can do this. Just ignore whatever she is showing to you. Aren't you the best nurse?"

 

Seohyun was mute, as the words she heard from her Doctor seem to be convincing. To think, she had been doing her best to provide her family what they needs. This is going to be her chance. "Is she... serious with the amount she offered?" She hesitantly asks, making sure of it.

 

Doctor Kim smiled with the question. "She's desperate - I mean, she wanted to recover from her cancer... She's not going to kid around at this time. So... you want to take this job now?"

 

"Well... " She paused. "I'm... quiet interested now. So tomorrow?" and a grin plastered in her face.

 

"Let's go back." Doctor Kim gesutres Seohyun to come inside again. Which the latter complied.

 

Seohyun smiled friendly to the woman. "I'll take the offer now." and held out her hand.

 

"It's a deal, then." Mrs. Jung shook their hands together, not leaving this young girl's eyes.

 

'Her eyes, why are they so icy? Geez, I hope I can survive.' In Seohyun thoughts as she continued to smile. '24 hours with a tiger? For my family, I can do all things. Fighting Seo Joohyun!'

 

-

 

After waving goodbye to her colleague and few patients, Seohyun made her way out of the hospital, exhausted. She keeps on massaging her shoulders left and right, rotates her head around until she is now heading to the bus stop.

 

A huge yawn appeared escaped , before she mumbles, "I still need to buy groceries for this week, buy vitamins, return the book to Suzy, and buy dog food and... Buy new pack of jellies." A big smile however plastered her face, as she thought of her favorite. Something that she enjoyed to munch while she's busy or bored.

 

Making up her mind, she runs all the way to the bus stop. However, just when she arrived there, a car stopped right in front of her. And before she could figure who is it, the car window rolled down, and a familiar face in the driver seat can be seen.

 

"Are you going home straight? I'll drop you there." It's none other than, the midget Doctor Kim. Kim Taeyeon is her full name.

 

"No, thanks, Doctor Kim. I'll take the bus only. Besides, I'm still dropping by a convenience store." She replied, smilingly.

 

"Then I'm going to drop you there, Nurse Seo."

 

"Yes? I-"

 

"I would be disappointed if you won't take my offer. Do you want that?" Threatened Doctor Kim, flashing a wide grin. "Come on, before someone could tow me away."

 

Sighing in defeat, Seohyun drags her heels to the open door in the passenger and bowed to her Doctor before she buckled on her seat belt. She felt so shy, but she can not disappoint her.

 

"Exhausted?" Doctor Kim casually asks, taking a glance to the young nurse.

 

"Yes." Seohyun lowly answered.

 

"Well, I think it's always like that. I mean every after shift." Doctor Kim let out a huge yawn after she said her words.

 

Seohyun giggles lightly when she saw the yawn from the older woman.

 

"I'm so silly." A soft chuckle escaped the latter's lips.

 

"Quite, Doctor Kim." Seohyun said. "Oh." Just then, she noticed a magazine in the compartment of the young doctor. She did not hesitate and took it. "Isn't this... Mrs. Kwon-Jung?" She pointed to the cover of the magazine. Basically, a business magazine, with the blonde woman as the cover. "What is she doing here, Doctor Kim?"

 

Doctor Kim glances and smiles. "Yeah, the very successful Jung Jessica. She's the owner of that number one real estate in our country. Don't you know about her, Nurse Seo? Or haven't you heard her name?"

 

Seohyun looked flustered after she heard the information. "Pardon?" Which is really new on her ears.

 

"Your reaction just say it."

 

"She's the richest among all the rich in this country?" She exclaimed.

 

"The richest of all the richest. But despite that, she goes to every foundation or poor places and donate money." Taeyeo chuckled, amused by the young girl's reaction. "You are so adorable, Nurse Seo."

 

Seohyun is speechless again. "Wow." Because apparently, she just reminds herself that she is about to work with this woman.

 

"Anyway, speaking about her... She's honestly my sister-in-law. That is why, I really recommended you for this job. I couldn't trust anyone besides you. Glad you take the offer, Nurse Seo."

 

Seohyun sighs. She put the magazine back to its place and asks, "How did someone so successful is ill?" Or rather, she wonders. She thought about what she said earlier, she felt a bit bad.

 

"I was the one who diagnosed her... I couldn't answer that question." Doctor Kim felt heavy in her chest. She still can remember how sad were Jessica's face when she told her the result of her test.

 

"Does her family know now?" Seohyun immediately felt the emphaty. She slowly turned, facing the midget Doctor.

 

"Nope. She doesn't want to tell them. Um, to tell you, she's divorced."

 

Seohyun's lips formed into an 'O' shape, as she felt regretful and she knows, she shouldn't be asking anymore. She turned her head outside, and keeps shut instead.

 

As the car fell into a complete silence, Taeyeon wishes in her mind that she will do well in healing her in-law.

 

 

***

 

 

The next day’s comes so fast, Seohyun stood outside the Kwon-Jung residence, amazed and lips are parted. The gate is so tall like the one she can see in movies or dramas, if the character is rich. The house, that seems to have three floors, is modern, not the castle type however. But the maids and butlers are indicating the person living in the house is indeed the richest.

 

She's sure going to have a tour, so she can not lost her.

 

"Close your lips, otherwise, some fly will have an interest and thought it's their home." Jokes Taeyeon as she passes over the frozen young nurse.

 

Snapping out of her own trance, Seohyun hastily catches up with Doctor Kim. "Are you sure this is from a normal person? I mean, a normal person l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter