Pre-debut Worries

Fanservice

It didn't take us long to become inseparable. I guess Mingyu was the complete opposite of me and that's the reason we worked out. I wouldn't go as far as saying we completed each other or that he was my soulmate, but I felt comfortable around Mingyu and that's probably the only important thing to be mentioned. I didn't feel burdened when being around him and therefore I stuck close to him.

Not only did Mingyu make me feel at ease, but he also managed to give me a feeling of importance. Whenever he was having a bad time or didn't know how to handle certain things, he would search for me and ask for my help. Whenever good news hit him or he just randomly had a cheerful mood, which happened more often than you could imagine, he would excitedly come to my side and try to share his happiness with me. 

The first person Mingyu ran off to whenever anything important happened was me and I was more than happy with that.

Of course, time flew and I managed to get closer to the other trainees too, but in the end I still felt like I was only connected to them because of Pledis meanwhile Mingyu felt like a real friend. Like someone who'd always stick to my side and help me through life. 

And I didn't have to hope for Mingyu to feel the same way because I already knew he did. I knew how much he relied on me and how happy he was to have me besides him. I knew because he told me over and over again how important I was and how much I meant to him.

Because, believe it or not, when the insecure sixteen year old me needed to let out his frustrations and someone to talk to, Mingyu was always there to listen. He was so good at cheering me up and helping me to forget my problems that I almost didn't have any. I felt complete bliss and loved my life the way it was. Suddenly, I was totally okay with the stressful life we had as trainees. It didn't matter anymore that I had to go to school and endure hours of training everyday because Mingyu was there, by my side, making my life colorful.

I didn't even care about the fact that Pledis kept moving our debut date. First they said it would be at the end of 2012, then they moved it to 2013, just to tell us that we'd have a show first and the debut would follow afterwards.

So in early 2013, 17TV, a live broadcast which basically simply showed us training started airing. Our group got named 'Seventeen' and the plan was to have seventeen members debut together. 'Tempest' never debuted since Yusang and Youngwoon left Pledis and therefore Jihoon, Seungcheol and Doyoon joined us on 17TV. All of us knew that more trainees would be coming since we needed seventeen members for the plan to work out, but nobody felt pressured anymore since we sort of already knew that we had a spot in the band.

And all of us thought we'd debut together when 17TV would come to an end, just like Pledis had told us.

Well, that was until 17TV ended and nothing happened. Pledis declared we weren't ready yet and soon, a second season of 17TV started, just to be followed by a third, fourth and fifth season. 

It was a mess, to be honest.

Not only did we still wait for a debut when the end of 2014 neared, but also Doyoon, Mingming, Samuel and Dongjin were either removed from the group or left by themselves. Other trainees named Jisoo, Jeonghan and Minghao joined throughout this whole messed up plan, so at the end of 17TV, only thirteen trainees made up Seventeen and all of us knew that Pledis' plan didn't really work out.

The debut didn't happen in 2014 either.

As I've said, I didn't care much since I enjoyed being a trainee, but I often caught others talking about leaving since they thought a debut would never happen. 

"Do you want to leave too?", I asked Mingyu once and all I got from him was a shrug. He, just like the others, hated the fact that we didn't really know what was happening. 

"I've wasted more than two years in this company, I don't think they'll get rid of me that easily", he then told me, wearing a small smile on his lips. But I knew his smile was fake and the words he said didn't have a meaning.

I knew how depressed Mingyu was and how much he was trying to hide it from me.

Both of us sat on the practice room's floor, our backs against the wall, facing the mirrors on the other side of the room.

"I just don't understand it, you know? We've been training so hard and now they can't give as a debut because we aren't enough members and the concept doesn't work out anymore? What kind of bull is this?", Mingyu complained, his voice starting to crack. I knew he was about to cry and simply put my arm around his shoulder, making him lean his head against mine since I was slightly shorter than him.

"I don't think it's because of that. I heard Pledis is broke, that's probably the reason they can't give us the debut", I told him my honest thoughts, sighing. 

"Are you serious? Well, then that's even more of a reason for debuting us! We'll earn money then, don't they realize that?", Mingyu let out in sobs: "I'm so sick of this. I hate how they can't share things with us and keep us waiting. I feel like I'm just going to be trapped in our tiny dorm for the rest of my life. That's not what I came here for."

"So you do think about leaving", I concluded, my voice thin and upset. If there was one thing I feared at that time, then it was Mingyu leaving my side. Sure, after being around the other trainees for more than two years, I didn't feel uncomfortable around them anymore and thought of them as important people in my life, but they weren't Mingyu.

They weren't the ones that had kept me going all this time.

"Honestly, I would leave if it wasn't for you. Remember, we promised each other to debut together", Mingyu answered, letting out a small laugh, wiping off the tears making their way down his cheeks: "Back then when I thought a debut follows after becoming a trainee, of course. I'm not so sure about that anymore." 

"Mingyu, to be honest, let's just forget about that promise", I told him after a few seconds of silence: "You don't have to stay here if you think it doesn't make sense. Besides, I have the others and you're probably the best when it comes to finding new friends. We don't have to stay together."

I hated myself for saying these words, but I probably would've hated being the reason for Mingyu's unhappiness even more. I knew that he'd easily be accepted into another company and quickly befriend the trainees there. And so I voluntarily gave him the chance to leave my side, just to make sure he'd be able to follow his dreams. 

"That's so stupid, Wonwoo. You keep talking about how you're close to the others now but just yesterday you hid behind the blankets when Minghao came into our room, just so you wouldn't have to talk to him", Mingyu said and started to laugh.

"Wait, you saw that?", I asked, embarrassed. 

"Urm, yeah? I was right next to you", Mingyu explained, still laughing: "So quit talking about how you'd be okay without me because both of us know that you'd just go back to being awkward."

"Hey, that's not true! It's just weird with Minghao around since he hasn't been with us for that long and I just don't really know how to talk to him", I tried to defend myself, but Mingyu just kept laughing, ignoring my reasonable argument completely.

"Just shut up already and admit that you need me here", he breathed out, trying to control his laughter. Annoyed, I rolled my eyes, but at the same time I felt a smile creep on my lips. Happily, I ruffled through Mingyu's hair: "Well, maybe I kind of need you here. But just kind of."

Mingyu, finally having controlled his laughter, smiled brightly at my words: "Good, because I kind of need you with me too."

And that was how our one and only conversation of leaving each other's side ended.
______

It was around that time when Mingyu and I first heard about the whole 'Meanie' thing. Since both of us weren't as active as others when it came to the whole social media thing, we'd always been clueless when it came to what exactly fans did in their free time.

It was Jeonghan who told us that we were pretty popular and that our fans loved us together. I didn't really understand what he meant by that and didn't feel like asking, but Mingyu did and that's how we found out that some of our fans apparently thought we were in love and had given us a couple name. Meanie.

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard", I simply told Jeonghan and nudged Mingyu, indicating that I wanted us to leave, but apparently Mingyu was quite interested in the nonsense Jeonghan was talking about, since he didn't give me the slightest bit of attention.

"So they think we love each other? They think we're gay?", he asked and started to laugh: "Just because we're close? Woah, some fans sure have wild fantasies."

"Well, basically they don't really think you're together, but just want you to be. They probably know that you're straight", Jeonghan explained: "They call it 'shipping' and I guess since you two are so close to each other you're quite popular."

"I had no idea I could be liked because I'm close to Wonwoo. This is so weird", Mingyu exclaimed and then looked at me, giving me a huge smile: "We're basically making each other famous, isn't that cool?"

"Mingyu, that's not cool but just weird. Who knows what kind of creepy thoughts these girls have? I don't even want to think about this", I told him, feeling uncomfortable with the whole topic.

"Oh Wonwoo, you seriously have to stop being so uptight when it comes to these things. It's just fans having their fun, so stop worrying and just accept it. It's not like that's the truth, so just let them be", Jeonghan told me and shrugged his shoulders. With that, the conversation was over for him, so he stood up, wanting to leave the room.

"Wait, what does 'Meanie' even mean? Why is our couple name not just like the other ones where two names are put together?", Mingyu asked before Jeonghan could leave but was only answered with a short laugh: "I have no idea." 

"Let's google it then", Mingyu told me and took out his phone. He unlocked it, went on Google and typed in 'Meanie', just for numerous websites with the word to appear, not one of them being about Mingyu and me.

"Why is our couple name some random English word, that's so unfair! I don't even understand why they would call us that", he complained, making me smile a bit.

"If you're so interested, then maybe you should add 'Seventeen' to the 'Meanie'. That'll probably help", I told him. Honestly, I felt way more than just uncomfortable at that moment and didn't understand how Mingyu could be so interested in the whole 'shipping' concept. I simply found it creepy and did not want to dig in any it further.

Mingyu kept going through different sites and kept reading, clearly struggling since most of the texts were in English, until he let out a happy "Ah, I got it!". 

"What?", I asked, shocked at the fact that Mingyu actually managed to find out: "What is it?"

"So, since the fans didn't know your name at first, they just called you 'Beanie' because you always wear beanies and mixed with the M from my name it becomes 'Meanie'", Mingyu explained, amazed: "And I thought they think we're mean or something like that."

I laughed. This whole thing was way too absurd to me, meanwhile Mingyu seemed way too happy about it. Didn't he feel the least bit uncomfortable when thinking about fans wanting us to be in a relationship? I didn't get it. I seriously didn't understand how he could be so calm in this situation. 

"Okay, so now that you know just close the damn site and let's not talk about this ever again. This is getting awkward", I told Mingyu my honest feelings about the whole thing, but he didn't do as I said. He kept reading fans' comments about us and smiling brightly. 

"They think we're cute together", he laughed and totally ignored how damn uneasy and annoyed I was. And suddenly, I just had enough.

"That's it, I'm leaving. This stuff is seriously way too weird", I announced, stood up and rushed off. I was mad. Mad because Mingyu didn't realize how uncomfortable I was. Mad because he just kept ignoring me when I clearly indicated that I wanted him to stop talking about it. Mad because we didn't share the same thought when it came to this topic. I was simply mad.

I'd always been proud of the relationship I had with Mingyu. I was happy about being close with him and honestly just liked him around me. And now that I'd found out what some fans imagined because of our closeness, everything felt wrong. I suddenly felt like always being with Mingyu and only relying on him had been a mistake, which had led to these stupid assumptions.

So when Mingyu happily sat down next to me a few minutes later and tried to put his arm around my shoulder, the only natural thing for me to do was to stand up and leave his side.
______

A/N: Woah, I seriously did not plan on making drama happen this early. It just sort of did? Well, don't get too upset though, the story still has a long way to go before the real drama happens. So enjoy this cute and fluffy ride before it gets dark~

Anyways, thanks for reading and for the lovely comments, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!