Chapter 33

White flowers

The following day I tell Joonho everything that yoongi told me. He is shocked most of all, and also kind of mad that yoongi never told me this in the 6 months we’ve been dating. “Are you going to go talk to him today?” He asks me. I shrug my shoulders. “I don’t know, I have a bad feeling about all of this,” I respond. 

 

****

 

Bora texts me to come meet her in a park nearby my apartment so we can talk. I head over and find her sitting on a bench in front of a small pond full of ducks. I sit down next to her and she grabs my hand. I hold her hand tightly and look over at her. 

 

“I want you to know that I thought a lot about everything you told me. It’s a horrific thing that you had to go through, I can’t even imagine. I just don’t know what you want to do now,” she tells me. “I know, and I’m sorry for not telling you sooner but as you can see it was a lot for me to deal with. I’ve been thinking a lot too, and I’ve come to a decision,” I say. She looks up at me and notices my face change to a pained expression. “I want to take a break from us,” I tell her. 

 

“What? Why? I don’t understand,” she replies. Tears threaten to fall down her face. “It’s not because of you. I don’t want you to think that I don’t love you, because I do. It’s just that Jihyun coming back has really gotten into my mind, and I need to clear my head and get a grip on reality, which is that she’s back now,” I say. She nods her head. “Of course, I’ll just be going then,” she responds, standing up. 

 

I stand up and grab her hand before she can walk away. “I do love you Bora, and I’m truly sorry.” She gives me a small smile and pecks my cheek, before turning around and walking away from me. 

 

****

 

I had a bad feeling and I guess it was right of me to feel like that because yoongi wants to take a break from us. As I walk back to the house tears fall down my face, I know he’s doing it because he’s confused which makes sense but it doesn’t hurt any less for me. I guess this is how he felt when I was forced to take a break from him several months back. 

 

I decide to still make the most out of the summer and make plans to job hunt tomorrow morning. 

 

I wake up to the sunlight shining bright through my curtains. I squint my eyes and rub them with my hands. It’s about 11 o’clock, I’ve slept in. I quickly take a shower and change into black high waisted shorts and a light blue cropped shirt. I straighten my hair and decide I should really change it, something else I can do today I suppose. 

 

I walk around the centre of the city past all the shops and find a hairdresser. I walk in and ask them to dye my hair back to normal, black, then add some burgundy highlights, they then cut it to right above my shoulders. I smile at the finished product, a whole new person. I pay them for the good job and head out to the streets again. 

 

Conveniently I find a hiring sign in a small coffee shop nearby and realize it’s the same place I studied with yoongi last week. I enter and walk up to the counter. A handsome guy with black hair and a grin on his face looks over at me. “How may I help you?” He asks. “I saw the hiring sign in the window, I’m looking for a job right now,” I tell him. He nods his head and heads to the back room. A few minutes later he emerges with an application form. 

 

“Fill this out and bring it back to me, I’ll give it to my boss.” I grab the form and sit at a table nearby, as I’m filling out the form he brings me a cup of coffee. “Thanks...umm?” “Oh, my names Jongin. Kim Jongin,” he replies. “Nice to meet you, my names Bora,” I tell him. He smiles and walks around the shop giving other customers refills. I finish filling out the form and hand it back to him as I pay for my coffee. 

 

“So, what’s your story?” He asks me. I give him a questioning look. “What do you mean?” He leads me to an empty table and we sit down. “Your likes, dislikes, favourite food, boyfriends, girlfriends, anything,” he explains. “Ohhhh...there’s not much. I’m 18, I go to the high school nearby. I love coffee and I dislike brusselsprouts.” He laughs and he honestly looks so adorable. “That’s more than I expected you to tell me. Well, I guess I’ll tell you a bit about myself. I’m 19, I actually just finished high school but I’m going to be doing a victory lap in September to study music, dance and singing,” he says. 

 

We talk for a little more but he has to get back to work, we exchange phone numbers and I head over to Jungkook and Jimin’s apartment. I lay down on the couch and they sit on chairs across from me, they’re my personal therapists. I tell them what happened and they look surprised. 

 

“Well, I think it’s for the best that he wants to keep you out of it in case there are any problems. You did the same thing to him before as well, and it was in yoongi’s best interest,” Jungkook tells me. I nod my head. “Yeah, I understand. It’s just hard to be on the receiving end of that but at least I still have you guys,” I respond. They smile and come over hugging my tightly. 

 

The next day I get a call from the coffee shop to come in for an interview. I put on jeans and a floral t shirt and make my way over. I spot Jongin on my way in who smiles and greets me, then leads me to the boss’s office. I sit down in front of the boss, who asks me questions regarding school and money. I tell him I can work full time this summer, but in September I’ll have to be part time. He agrees and hires me right away. 

 

“You can start right now?” He asks. “Of course!” I smile. He shakes my hand and tells me that Jongin will train me on everything I need to know. I put on the uniform, which is whatever pants with a black turtleneck shirt and a light brown apron. 

 

“I’m so excited to be working with you!” Jongin exclaims. I smile at him and agree. He teaches me how to work the till, hold a tray with coffee, use the coffee machines and just general cleaning. “We’re open every day from 10am until 5pm, except Sunday we’re only open noon until 5pm,” he tells me. “Alright cool. Let’s get started then,” I reply. 

 

Right then I see yoongi and jihyun coming into the coffee shop. I hide behind the counter and look up at Jongin who’s laughing at me. “Are you good?” He asks, I vehemently shake my head. “The guy and girl who just walked in, I don’t want to see them. Can you please help them? I’ll explain after,” I tell him. He nods his head. “Don’t worry, I got you.”

 

****

 

I think I made the right decision regarding Bora and I, she shouldn’t be dragged into everything. I give Jihyun a call to meet up, and head to a nearby coffee shop. We walk inside and sit in a booth. “You want a coffee?” I ask her. She nods her head. “Cappuccino please,” she smiles at me. I head to the counter and ring the bell. 

 

“How may I help you today?” A handsome tall guy asks. “Uhm, yeah can I get a cappuccino and a black coffee,” I say. He nods his head. “You can go ahead and pay, I’ll bring the drinks to your table when they’re ready.” I pay for the drinks and go back to the table, sitting down. 

 

****

 

“You can come up now, he’s gone,” Jongin says. I slowly stand up and sigh in relief. “I’ll make the coffee, will you bring it to them?” I ask him. He nods his head and smiles. “As long as you tell me what’s going on.” I agree to tell him when we have our lunch break. 

 

Time goes by fast and I don’t have to face yoongi and jihyun, which is great. When it’s not as busy in the shop Jongin and I take a quick break to eat some food. “Let’s hear the story,” Jongin says grinning at me. “I’ll give you the short version for now. The guy is my boyfriend, and the girl is his ex. She came back after leaving over a year ago and he decided he needed to figure out so me and him are on a break from our relationship,” I tell him. 

 

“Wow....I understand why you didn’t want to see him then. Do you think they’re getting back together?” He asks. I shrug my shoulders. “I’m not sure. He told me he still loves me but I guess I’ll see what happens over time,” I respond. He stands up and pats my back. “Let’s get back to work.” 

 

****

 

“So, I feel like we should talk about everything that happened.” I tell jihyun. She nods her head. “After you saved my life, they transferred me back to a hospital in Daegu. Then I went to rehab to get my life back on track. I just decided to go to school there until I was ready to face you again,” she explains. “You claim you’re still in love with me,” I point out. “I wasn’t lying,” she says, “ever since I met you I’ve been in love with you and no matter what happened, my feelings never changed.” 

 

“You need to know that I’m not sure how I feel about everything. But I have moved on, the girl you met in the apartment was my girlfriend for the past six months,” I tell her. She looks shocked and then asks me, “was? You’re saying you broke up with her?” I shake my head. “No, we’ve decided to take a break from each other so that I can figure out everything now that you’re back. I just need time and I don’t want to drag her into all of this.” 

 

“I get that you need time, I’ll give it to you. I’ll be staying in this city and going back to the high school to finish grade 12 in September,” she says and stands up leaving. I run my hands through my hair frustrated. Why’d she have to come and mess up what I have? I love Bora, and I want to be with her, the only reason I’m doubting my feelings is because of jihyun. I stand up and leave the shop.