Chapter 8

Dust of an Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Son Dongwoon was having a Very Bad Day.

Not only was it the second day of school, which was the reason enough for any day to qualify as awful, but he had spent most of it in the nurse's office, waiting for the nurse to have time to free his hand from the soccer ball which was superglued to. He is grouchy, frustrated, missing the top layer of skin on his right hand, and now he is being treated as an errand boy. Again.

 

He hated being the youngest person on their team. He was a first year and a regular now. He had more important things to do than play fetch for a sunbae’s friend.

Dongwoon scowled fiercely as he trudged up the stairs to the second floor of the Arts Building. The music classrooms were on the third floor while the practice areas were on the fourth floor and supposedly that was where Seo Joo-Hyun would be.

 

‘Why? Can't the girl walk by herself? She is in high school for crying out loud! It isn't like SMent is . . . dangerous . . . or . . .’

 

Except, you know, today.

 

Stupid Kyuhyun-sunbae and his need to terrorize everyone.

 

Donghae had mentioned that the girl is rather accident-prone and that she was also very shy around people she didn't know well. He guessed that he could understand why he wouldn't want someone like that wandering around all on their own after a day like this one. Still, he sulked, why must it be him who has to do it? There is an entire team's worth of pre-regulars standing around doing nothing. One of them could have done it. Mediocre soccer players though they all had mastered the art of walking and would have been perfectly capable of collecting one small girl. He hoped that this didn't become a habit.

 

The halls were empty, most people having decided to skip any club meetings in favor of going straight to their dorms after today.

WIMPS.

He wondered how the girl had fared. He's hoping that she wasn't crying. Crying girls were way outside his area of expertise and whenever he saw one he tend to just ignore her and hoped that she would stop on her own.

 

BACKGROUND MUSIC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDVVEZ8SQRY

 

He could hear a piano music coming from farther down the hall and he decided to follow it. Even if it isn't her whoever it was probably had a better idea of where she was than he did.

Dongwoon wasn't a classical music fan. He had seen few performances when one of his hyungs, usually Yoseob-hyung (he may not look like it but he is a lover of classical music) or Hyunseung was coerced into taking him along courtesy of their group leader in order to expose him to "culture" but that was it. Even so he could tell that whoever was behind this particular performance had skills.

 

Dongwoon could respect that. He firmly believed that if you were going to do something you should be the best. It was why he had chosen to go to SMent in the first place. Being mediocre was one of the worst fates he could ever imagine and he inclined to think badly of anyone who was content with it.

 

It was a pretty song, slow and kind of sad. He didn't recognize it but that didn't mean much, the only classical song he could put a name to was Fur Elise, but it was . . . nice. He meandered up to the partially open door his earlier feelings of agitation, not disappearing, but at least being brought down to a more manageable level.

 

He peered quietly into the room. The girl playing the piano was tall and slender and, oddly enough, clean. She looked like someone who had a perfectly normal day, like she'd hidden in a closet, cocooned away from the madness, which, when he thought about it, really wasn't a bad idea. He decided to let her finish her song before asking if she was Seo Joohyun.

 

Dongwoon leaned against the doorway and watched her perform through half lidded eyes. She was really into to it, totally unaware of her surroundings, focused. Dongwoon could respect focus. People without it tended to .

 

The song floated lightly to a close, the notes drifting off softly as if the person playing them had fallen asleep. Dongwoon stifled a yawn and watched as the girl opened her eyes and hummed quietly to herself as if considering something. She paused then hummed the same phrase again. This time Dongwoon recognized it as part of the song she'd just been playing. She nodded decisively, removed a small pencil from its perch behind her ear, and began making notations on piece of paper alrea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter