(02) ♡ like cat and mouse

A Cat's Love Story

By the time I get home, the feeling of loneliness immediately sets in. For the first time ever, I no longer hear the sound of quiet purring, the smell of spilt milk or the familiar shed of white fur on my bed sheets. Hello is missing. I furiously search through the mess of my bedroom, looking through my cupboard and under the bed. Where is my cat?

Then, from the far corner of my room, I hear a pur, and my head snaps around to peek at the sound. "Hello Kitty, where are you going?" The white feline has her legs curled up underneath her, and as soon as she meets my gaze, she leaps, prepared to flee. "Wait!" I jump off my bed, and follow her tail, a flash of white light through a dizzy world.

I chase her endlessly, never losing sight of her silhoulette, following her over and under. I push my way through the heavy branches that block my path, leaves scattered in a pile on the floor, dead, lifeless. Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime of sprinting, my cat stops. She sneaks under the fence next door, and I'm forced to follow her, prying it open with my bare hands. Once I squeeze in, I can see a massive backyard, much larger than my own. The house that it belongs to is pristine, gleaming white and dazzling in the sunlight. With crystal balconies and   glass screendoors, this is a wonderland. A winter wonderland. My gaze follows the sound of Hello's happy meow's, only to see her snuggling up next to another cat, twice her size and dark and stripy. "Who are you?" I mumble to myself, stepping forward.

As soon as I make a sound, however, a shadow emerges from the building, freezing me in place. "Are you another stalker?" A husky voice rumbles, with an icy tone. I turn around to see none other than Kim Myungsoo, the emotionless statue that everyone loves. 

"W-what? I...I just...my cat, you see.."

"If that's your excuse, you're not exactly alluring me," he smirks. He picks up the fat black cat and pats it gently. "Who are you?"

My mouth drops open, as if it weighed a thousand tons. "You don't know me? We've been in the same class since kindergarten..."

But Myungsoo only shrugs. "A lot of faces pass by me. Anyway, get your cat and leave." He really is an ice prince.  I walk up to their love nest in a failed attempt to pry Hello away. She scratches me harshly, and I'm left with a bloody mark. She hisses, and I recoil in horror. Tears begin to brim over my eyes and the pain begins to set in, the cut throbs and stings. "I'll get a first aid kid," he says, all too calmly.

I sit patiently on the grass, trying to wipe my tears away with one hand. In my eleven years of knowing Hello, she has never once scratched me. Once L returns, he gently applies an alcohol that makes the cut burn like hell. "Ah!" I yelp, as soon as it touches my skin. 

"Stop moving," he commands. And although he says it so harshly, not a bit of emotion showing on his perfect face, I do stop. To hold me down, he grabs my arm, as he looks at the wound. "That cat's pretty wild..has it scratched you before?"

I shake my head, eyes watering. "Never. Hello's a good girl."

Something I said has made him laugh, as he begins to chuckle lightly. I tilt my head slowly to the side. "What's funny?"

"Your cat...it's a boy."

"No she's not, Hello is a--" he leaves my side, to lift the smaller cat up, to show it's long . My mouth is gaping open, and I can barely feel the pain in my arm, I am so surprised. Myungsoo continues to laugh to himself. "How do you think they had kittens?"

"Hello is a moth--father?!"

Myungsoo nods, and bandages my wound. "Come on, I'll show you."

He leads me to a garage, where a box of grey kittens are sleeping. They have gained their mother's stripes, their father's petite body frame and sharp ears. I smile to myself. "They're adorable.." The boy next to me nods, and all of a sudden, he seems less like the cold statue and school, and more like a normal cat-loving high school boy.

As we return to the backyard in a desperate attempt to seperate our love-stricken cats, it's difficult. After almost an hour of scratches and hisses, we give up. "They won't seperate," I told him, exasperatedly. "We need to look after them and their kittens together."

He scratches the back of his head. "I don't know. I don't think I can manage like, 7 cats."

"I'll look after them!" I offer happily. The more, the merrier. My smile disappears as I realise the pained look on L's face. He's torn apart, and can't leave his cat. "I.."

"We'll take turns," I say, trying to relieve his pain. Surely, he can take one day without his feline companion? "One day for me, and one day for you."

He shrugs. "Okay. But first, you need all of Lupin's things."

As we enter his house, it's even more beautiful inside. For an owner of many cats, his house is sparkling clean, and smells of dishwashing liquid. The couches are white and so is the T.V, everything looks as if it's out of a drama, compared to my traditional styled house. He leads me towards the kitchen, where a big bag of expensive cat food is. Myunsgoo makes me carry them, and also Lupin's bowl, her toys and a list of what she doesn't like and does. 

"But before that," he says, making me sit down. I tiredly put the things down onto the floor. "What do you want?"

I blink. Did I hear him correctly. "Sorry?"

"What do you want? Obviously you're after something, after hearing that I love cats. So what is it? Just hurry up and get it over with, please."

"I really don't need..." The bad idea is back. This time, it crawls all over my skull, making the hairs on the back of my head rise, making me tingle with evil plans. "Actually.." I say quietly. "I do need your help."

I bring out a piece of paper and a pen, and quickly write:

 

Wavier of Agreement

Kim Myungsoo must pretend to date Oh Nana for one hundred days, or she will tell everyone about his love for cats. Once the one hundred days are over, the two will 'break up' and seperate, getting on with their own lives.

Signed, 

Kim Myungsoo

_______________________

Oh Nana

_______________________

L sighed, dramatically. "Do you know how many girls have asked me to date them? To marry them?"

"Please! I lied to someone about something, and I really need your help only for a bit. Please," I beg, trying to use Sungyeol's puss-in-boots eyes. I probably look like a dead mouse, but it was worth a shot. "The American boy at school, he's..."

Myungsoo laughs again, making my heart beat. "I know. I heard, saw, you two are hilarious."

He stops laughing when he realises my serious expression, and his face turns curious. "But why 100 days? Do you love me that much?"

"If we break up too soon, it'll be suspicious."

He taps his chin, thinking. 

I take my phone out, and snap a picture of Myungsoo and all the cat things, smirking to myself. Suddenly, he realises the flash, and jumps out of his seat. "Give me that picture!"

"Sign the wavier!"

He groans, and quickly scribbles down his initials. Yes! I think mentally to myself. One deed done. "Now delete it," he hisses, back to his scary self. 

"After one hundred days," I say, genuinely. "I promise."


And guess what animal Sungyeol has..? :)