(03) ♡ soaked

A Cat's Love Story

I'm walking in the heavy rain, grumbling to myself. My first night with Hello and Lupin was bathing them, feeding them, and then having Lupin tear up my underwear and socks. In fact, today I'm wearing one blue and one white sock. "What is this...his cat is crazy," I mumble to myself. The rain is pouring heavily down onto my head, making my hair and uniform all wet. My jumper material soaks up all the excess rain, making me feel like a sponge. As the cotton clings to my skin, I sigh, hugging my books to my chest. Suddenly, the rain stops aburbtly, and I look up to see that the sky has been covered by a white soft of... plastic?

I twist around, meeting L's gaze. "You look like a stray cat."

I self-conciously put a strand of hair behind my ear, and pull my skirt down, pouting at my ugly appearance. I begin to walk out of the umbrella's protection and towards the school before Myungsoo stops me. 

"Hey," he says, holding the umbrella out to me. "Take it."

"No, it's yours I.." I say flustered, blushing at his sudden concern. L pulls out a black umbrella from his side. "I have another one."

Without a word, he places the clear umbrella in my hand and walks off coolly. I bite my lip, embarrassed. Why does he always make me feel like a fool? I hold the umbrella in my hand as I walk to school, thoughts of cats and rain swirling in my mind.

 


In class, my head rests on the windowsill sleepily. In front of me, Myungsoo is sitting with his head resting on his shoulder, and on my side, Sungyeol is bouncing happily in his seat. I sigh, enjoying the peaceful weather. I am still soaked, but it's too cold to take my wet jumper off. Instead, I look at the window, where raindrops seem to race each other to the finish. They don't decide where to go, nor can they leave their destined path - the end of the window. But at least they all make it down, slowly. I try to occupy my thoughts and ignore my chattering teeth, thinking of hot chocolate and fires and big, fluffy jumpers.

In front of me, I see Myungsoo peel his jumper off his V-shaped back, and throw it back to me. He looks calm and casual in his plain white t-shirt, as if it wasn't -10 degrees. My mouth opens a bit wider, and I want to thank him, ask him questions, but he doesn't turn back. Instead, I take my dripping wet jumper off and put his on. It's soft , too big for me and smells just like him. It's probably a good five or four sizes too large, but right now, it feels like the fabric is engulfing my skin with it's warmth. It's so soft, and the smell is really intoxicating...I am about to drift to sleep (the rain and sun always makes me sleepy), when I hear the familiar whispers of Jung Krystal. "Did she just steal his jumper or what?" she says harshly to Choi Sulli next to her.

I can see their pretty reflections in the window, their snickering faces and perfect hair. "I heard that they were dating...as if!" Sulli replies. I close my eyes. I'm happy, I say to myself in my head. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. Think of Hello and new socks and underwear with no holes in them. My lids remain closed, as I fight off the steaming anger from my system.

"And anyway," Kyrstal continues, giggling. "Her mum was the biggest around--" When I hear that sentence, I snap right out of my seat. Ignoring the teacher's protests and cries, I walk right up to Krystal and slap her right across the face. The echoes of my hand against her cheek rings through the entire classroom, and the sharp sound is unbearable. Her entire face is red, as she looks at me with anger.

I can feel Sungyeol's arms holding me back, as the tears brim over my eyes, threatening to fall.
"What?" Krystal says angrily, holding her hand up to her cheek. "Can't stand that your mother was , just like you?" This time, I don't fight her, I only let the holt, salty tears pour down over my face. My vision is blurred with the salty liquid, and the rest of the class goes by quickly. Mrs. Chung scolds me for overreacting and Krystal for bad language, but only I get a detention.

 


So once lunch rolls around, I'm forced to stay back in the math classroom, writing out, 'I must control my anger' five hundred times. As my hand reaches the chalk, I let my tears fall down again, letting the pain escape in the strangest of forms. My writing has never been neat, but with my vision blurred, it's no better. I silently continue my work, the only sounds in the room are of me gasping for breath.

Suddenly, a figure enters the room. I can barely see it's sihoulette, and tall person who walks in with quiet steps. I hate letting people see me cry, so I wipe my tears away with the ends of Myungsoo's giant jumper, momentarily forgetting that it does not belong to me. The boy next to me picks up a piece of chalk next to me, and starts writing out 'I must control my anger' alongside me. I look up to see his face, and, surprisingly, it's the perfect Myungsoo.

"Are you here to yell at me for getting your jumper spoiled with my tears?" I blurt out, hiccuping. He shakes his head silently, writing as much as I would in five minutes in one second. 

"Then what? What do you want?"

He puts his chalk down and faces me. "I don't know what's wrong, but don't cry.." he says awkwardly. "Krystal says the first thing that comes in her mind without thinking of the consequences, and most of it is lies."

I almost smile at his attempt to cheer me up. "But it was true," I whisper, afraid to talk, in case the tears will come out again.

"No it isn't...um.. I don't know your mum, but if she's anything like you are, then she's probably really nice and...well--"

I don't give him a chance to finish his sentence, because before I know what's happening, I hug him. He freezes at my touch, and I can tell immediately that I've made a mistake. But regardless, I continue to hug him, and I want to warm him like his jumper warmed me. I rest my head on his chest, and allow myself to be content in the short few seconds in someone's arms. I realise it's the first time I've been hugged in a few years. His arms are hanging awkwardly by his sides, and he's probably not used to skinship either.

After a few minutes of happiness, I let him go. "Thank you," I whisper, before darting quickly out of the room, not giving him a chance to talk. As I shut the door behind me, a voice speaks. "He's your boyfriend?"

I turn around, and instantly, I'm filled with grief and guilt, and I don't even know why. 


dundundunnnn, they hugged yay! krystal's a wae D;