(038) ♡ twelve am

A Cat's Love Story

I don't wake up to sunlight streaming onto my skin, the whistling of birds or anything remotely beautiful. Instead, I wake up to a heavy weight on top of my body. "Yah, get off me!" I growl, pushing the body off. I hear a loud thud as Sungyeol falls to the hard floor. He rubs his head, groaning. 

"You okay?" I ask, more of manner than concern.


"Headache," he grumbles. Sungyeol gets up, and lies flat on the mattress--this time, not on me. I lie with my eyes awake, staring at the funny shape that the sun's rays make on the ceiling. As much as I try to avoid it, only one question rings in my mind: what is she dreaming of now? Does she know what day it is?

Next to me, Sungyeol stirs slightly. "Happy birthday," he says in English.

"Thanks," I say, before closing my eyelids. Darkness crashes down, yet it's not uncomfortable. "Didn't think you'd remember."

"I didn't. But tomorrow's Nana's birthday, so..." Sungyeol shrugs, and gives a hearty sigh. Right. I'd almost forgotten.

"My present will be bigger than yours," he mutters under his breath, though I can still hear him loud and clear. 

 

I've never woken up to scrambled eggs, bacon, or a kitchen with the scent of homemade food for a few years. The sight of Nana in a pink apron, piling food onto plates is almost heavenly. She looks as awkward as she does each day; even worse in the kitchen, but breakfast looks delicious. We crowd around the table which is placed on the floor, and I tuck my legs in to get more space. It's near impossible with Woohyun's legs touching mine every second.

"Wow!" Hoya says happily, sitting down onto the floor. Youngmin slides next to him, and eyes the feast with hungry eyes. "What's all this?" he asks.

"Well, it's our last day here, and it's Myungsoo's birthday..." she says sheepishly. I make no attempt to hid the slight blush spreading on my cheeks, and avoiding her eyes, pop a piece of beef into my mouth.

Once everyone is crowded around the table, each with their own serving, Nana sits down next to me. "Happy birthday," she whispers. She hands me a little box with a ribbon wrapped around it's sides. I don't open it--maybe I'm too excited, or maybe I don't want her to feel embarrassed, but somehow, I feel like we'll have time to ourselves later.

Nana eats as little as a mouse, quietly nibbling on her food. "We're heading back at 6," Sungyeol says, through a full mouth.

"That's so sad," Sungjong mumbles, looking around. "I'm gonna miss this place."

Under the table, I find Nana's hand. After grasping it, I squeeze it slightly, her sweaty palm becoming stickier by the minute. "Do I make you nervous?" I ask her, deja vu hitting me like a tidal wave.

She blushes, and turns away. "Sometimes..."

A silence passes.

"Do you not remember anything I said last night?" I say in a hushed voice, making sure no one can hear us. Her cheeks become a beetroot red, she looks as though she's going to explode.

"I remember."

I smirk, enjoying watching her squirm. "Are you feeling shy?" I say, making her give a little laugh. Nana shakes her head.

"You're not going to say something stupid like 'last night was a mistake' like girls in dramas, right?"

Before she can answer, Youngmin pokes his head through, between our shoulders. "What happened last night?" he whispers in a dramatic tone. I playfully push his blonde head back, and he falls into the bookshelf behind us. There's a secret ert in that kid.

 

After breakfast, we're all lounging about lazily in the main room. There's only a few rays of sun streaming through the windows, but other than that, it's completely dark. Nana is sitting near my feet, reading a book. I bend down to play with a strand of her hair, and the feeling is natural. She doesn't flinch, too immersed in her fantasy reading world. I lean down towards her ear, and under my breath, hum her song 'Where's The Cat?'. Simply seeing her blush makes me smile.

Suddenly, Sungyeol emerges out of the doorway, holding a cake in his hand. I groan, fighting the urge to slap my forehead. Sungyeol. How can I hate him when he's being this nice? We're opponents, enemies. A chorus of the 'Happy Birthday Song' passes through, and everyone's either screaming or slapping me on the shoulder. So this is what it's like to be in a room full of guys. And one little girl. Through the crowd, I wrap my fingers around Nana's frail hand, and blow out the candles.

"Happy birthday!" Sungyeol says, placing the cake onto the table. Dongwoo straps a party hat over my head, then jumps about like a hyper frog. A hand from the crowd hands me a plastic knife, and I slice through the mud chocolate cake without thinking. It lands in a perfect cut, straight through the centre.

"Actually, I haven't been born yet," I say, chuckling. I recieve 8 blank eyes staring back at me. "Well, I was born at 11:59 p.m," I explain, resulting in many 'ohhhh's. Nana's quiet eyes find mine, but I can't tell if she's wearing a smile or a frown. She looks...confused.

 

A bus trip back. A dark sky. Stars and a rooftop. After a long day of travelling, I'm finally back at home. Can the world change so quickly in one day? From the sun to the moon, still nothing. As I walk back through the threshold, Jungwoo greets me with a hug. "Happy birthday, Hyung," he says with bright eyes. Even after all this, he still looks up to me as a rolemodel. Stupid kid. I ruffle his hair playfully, filling him in on all the details of our trip. One day, I'll take him on vacation. We'll go somewhere far, far away from all of our troubles, far from our parents.

"Oh yeah, this girl called. She wants to see you."

Instantly, I think of Nana, who's eyes showed such curiousity hours earlier. I walk outside, towards her house, and on the porch, she sits, huddled in a blanket. Reminders of cold, snowy days in the Christmas resort flash back into my mind. Nana looks peaceful, her acoustic guitar sitting lazily on her lap. I walk up to her, and she looks up with surprise.

"Hi," she says.

"Hi. Are you okay?" I say, concern in my eyes.

"Of course, I'm fine..." she says, her voice wandering. "Have you looked at your present?" she says.

I sit down next to her, and huddle next to Nana's soft body. She wraps the end of her blanket around me, as I fumble through my pocket for the box. Once I find it, I pull the red velvet string off impatiently, watching as the box falls apart in my hands.

As usual, it's amazing. It's spring. A cherry blossom tree stuck in a snow globe--two children crouched below it, protected by it's vastness. I stifle a gasp, and turn to her, my mouth agape. "Nana...it's beautiful."

"I'm glad you like it," she says, happily. "Oh and, I wrote you a song...Is that creepy?"

I actually laugh, out loud. "Of course not. I love hearing your voice. Can you play it now?" She slightly starts to strum her fingers along the strings.

 

 

Blue skies, yellow air
It’s the perfect place to talk
So obvious, rushing and becoming hesitant
Even if it’s a little boring, please listen
Your voice, your knees and eyelashes
Your everything,
I like it all
Your cat, your house and mother
Your everything,
I like it all
Your voice, your knees and eyelashes
Your everything,
I like it all
Your cat, your house and mother
Your everything,
I like it all
Blue skies, yellow air
It’s the perfect place to talk
Oh, I like it!

I'm caught in a gaze just by looking at her eyes. Her voice, which sounds like an angel, her sweet scent. "Thank you," I whisper to her. Leaning forwards, I peck her lightly on her cheek. Her lashes flutter shyly.

"I was born at 12:00 a.m exactly," she says. "Chuungyeol Hospital."

"So was I," I tell her, shrugging it off.

"Myungsoo, you're a minute older than me. We were born in the same hospital, and may have even been in the same ward."

"You know what that means?"

"What?" The look of fear in her eyes tells me that she thinks something's up. Birth problems, hospital switches, anything could be running through her brain. I her hair gently. "It's fate, Nana. That's all."

A little alarm beeps on her watch. "What time is it now?" I ask her.

"12 o'clock."

"Happy birthday, Nana," I whisper, leaning towards her. She closes her eyes, expectant. I laugh, watching her prepare herself for a kiss. I rub my nose against her's, then fall onto her lap. Nana opens her eyes, and yelps. "Yah!"

Chuckling, I hold her hand. "You're cute, Care Bear."

When I least expect it, Nana leans down and presses her soft lips against my own. It's quick and fast, but still sends my heart beating crazily. "I love you," she mumbles quietly.

"I love you too." So maybe my parents didn't call me. Maybe they forget, or just didn't want to acknowledge that this was the day that they gave birth to that forgotten child. I got a cake, a hug from a brother, a snow globe, a song and a kiss. As long as I have Nana, I'll be completely fine.


 
I was in such a rush! the aff crash sent me craaazy. I really wanted a birthday chapter up!

happy birthdaaaaay L! <3 mwah mwahhh