(033) ♡ wallflower

A Cat's Love Story

 

She storms in as soon as our shift starts after school, like rain invading a sunny morning. Her eyes are fierce, and, with a path of destruction raging behind her, Haneul slinks down into a secluded table. She's wearing school uniform that fits her thin body perfectly, her hair cut straight with no fringe at all. She could've looked innocent if it weren't for her harsh scowl.

"Not you," I hear Haneul say, as Hoya walks to her table. "I don't want you to serve me. Where is she? Get Nana here, now!" she screams. Hoya looks flustered, and runs out of the shop to find Nana. When she comes in, she's wearing her bear suit. She barely fits through the door, waddling in.

"Uh, Nana isn't a waitress, she's our mascot...and I don't think she can hold the menu," Hoya mumbles, wrapping an arm around her protectively. She pulls her head off, her hair sticking to her sweaty face, and huffs. I can sense the tension before either of them speak.

A battle between the girls--one fearless, icy, cold. The embodiment of perfection. Nana, on the other hand, is a Spring girl. She's warm and soft, and has so many flaws that it's beautiful. "You can leave," Haneul orders Hoya stiffly, waving him off.

With a final glance at Nana, who gives him a slight nod, he walks back to the counter. "Watch them," Hoya whispers to Sungyeol, before passing him.

"Water," she says, with as much power as a Queen. "With a slice of lime and ice."

Nana nods, before walking back to the counter. She strips off the bear suit to reveal her wearing jeans and a stripy sweater. "I'll change back later," she mumbles quietly to Sungyeol. Once she comes out of the kitchen, holding a glass of water with ice and a slice of lime. I watch her take a deep breath, before venturing out to the tables.

"Here," she says, placing the cup onto Haneul's table. Haneul eyes it up and down, trying to find a single flaw, a mistake. With a slight flick of her hand, she sends the glass crashing to the floor, glass and water flying everywhere. Nana's eyes are wide. The other customers watch in shock, as if a drama is playing before their eyes. "Clean it," Haneul says with a smirk. 

Nana just stares at the floor. "I need to talk to you, sweetie," Haneul says in a sugar-sweet tone. She makes me sick. When she rises, she glances at Nana expectantly. "Well?" Haneul says, gesturing towards the door. "Coming, or what?"

The two girls exit the cafe, the bell ringing crystal clear. Sungjong immediately runs to the broken glass on the floor to start cleaning the mess. When no one is looking, I slip outside where the girls are talking. I hide behind the door of an old bookshop next door to us, as I listen to Haneul's breathy voice. "What did I tell you? I thought I warned you not to do anything," she whispers harshly.

"I'm sorry," Nana mumbles, her eyes trailing towards the ground. She digs her toe into the pavement, the cement remaining hard under her feet. "But maybe you should move on, look for other guys..."

"Don't you dare talk as if you're on the same level as me," Haneul hisses. "Have you ever danced till your feet bleed? Ever vomited up nothing? Ever weigh less than half the weight of your sister? Dealt with so much hate that the only person you speak to is your twin?" Her voice drops to a whisper, cracking on the last sentence. "Don't you dare speak like you're important. Because you're not. You're nothing to me."

Nana flinches under her gaze, but doesn't show any sign of fear. That's my girl, I think. "I've never danced until my feet bleed, but I have vomited up nothing. I've been extremely underweight as far as BMI goes, but that doesn't mean I work for it. I've watched my father blow up in flames and my mother out with different men everyday. I think you're important, Haneul, even if you don't think I'm worthy. No one hates you, Haneul," she whispers. "The only person that hates you is you."

The girl before her squints, as if trying to figure out what is standing in front of her. Nana's turned from a shy wallflower to a warrior.

"You think you're all that, but you're not. I've given you two warnings. Three strikes are you're out." With that, Haneul walks away, in the opposite direction of the park. Her steps are light, and in the glimmery rays of the sun, I can barely make out the outline of her bony thighs. I walk up slowly to approach Nana, but the jingle of the bell stops me.

"Are you alright?" Sungyeol says, poking his head out. "I was watching you two. She was glaring scarily."

Nana smiles, but it's cold. "I'm fine, you should go inside. I'll change back in a minute." She wedges her head under his arm, trying to fit through. But he blocks her with his large frame and holds her shoulders at arms length. He observes her momentarily, a flicker of hope in his eyes. But what exactly is he hoping for? 

"You look tired," he states simply. She stares back in a daze, confused. "How is it that even when you're tired, have eyebags like a panda, no curves and an old-lady-sense-of-fashion, I still find you so dazzling?"

He leans forward, and I hold my breath, waiting for a kiss, for something. He pulls her closer to him and hugs her tightly. I wait for Nana to recoil, to push him away. But she doesn't. Instead, she wraps her dainty arms around his waist and digs her face into his chest. She looks like she needs a hug. Suddenly I curse myself, for hiding, for not being there for her when I should've. I should've told Haneul to piss off or something.

I kick the ground as Sungyeol rests his chin on Nana's head. He turns slightly to the left, and I know he can see me. But rather than pulling away, or apologising in some way, he smiles. I can read that smile like an open book. It practically screams: This is war.

I can't help but look at the two children, who seem to fit so perfectly together. Sungyeol's height overshadows her, protecting her like a shield. She fits snugly under his arms. Where Nana is shy and timid, Sungyeol is bold, a natural leader. Conflicting personalities sometimes cilck; sometimes they don't. Maybe in another dimension they were lovers. Maybe they'll end up falling in love like the heroine and hero of a book, and live happily ever after. But, no. I feel like the bad guy in the fairytale, the dragon who steals the princess away and destroys the knight.

I ignore the two and walk into the Bear Cafe. I'm not jealous. I trust her, I know she loves me too in a way, so I'm not jealous. Somehow, I find myself repeating these words like a chant as I make my way to the counter, more to myself than anything. 


hiyeom!~ as you may have noticed, the soundtrack for this chapter is a random guy singing jieun's song!? nah, its just the lowered pitch version. the reason i used that instead of the original is that it fits myungsoo's pov so well. this song is like exactly his thoughts. I'll even post the english lyrics for you :L these are really deep lyrics, and i was planning on using the song in an earlier chapter, preferably when it was winter. but, eh, it ended up here!

When you're in pain from love, tears are the medicine
You have no faults but you keep saying that you're sorry

Don't cry for me
It's alright, I understand it all
You're such a crybaby
How can I let you go if you're so soft?

My love is so cold
My heart is cold, you can't leave
If the good memories all freeze
And if it can't be erased, if it doesn't melt
What do I do?

Even the sunlight is cold on days without you
Counting with my two hands is not enough for all the things that remind me of you

Don't smile for me
Because I know how hard it is for you
You're such a fool
How can you leave if you're so worried about me?


My love is so cold
My heart is cold, you can't leave
If the good memories all freeze
And if it can't be erased, if it doesn't melt
What do I do?

Just turn around and go now
Because if you hesitate, I might hold onto you
Don't even brush past me, don't run into me
Because I might run to you and hug you

I only hope and hope for you
Even if you know my heart, don't come to me
Even if I love you again
Because I might give you pain, I might give you tears
I'm afraid
Your memories are colder