(024) ♡ two of a kind

A Cat's Love Story

I shake my head to make sure that I'm not seeing double. It's a typical Monday at the Bear Cafe. Typical customers, typical orders. Except for the two girls that are seated at the very corner of the room, shooting glances at Myungsoo at every possible moment. It's too cold outside, so I'm helping out as a waitress today. But even as I scrub on a dirty pink table, my eyes are glued to them.


One girl, on the right, is thin as a pin. She's skinnier than even me, her hair tied in a strict bun at the top of her head. Her cheeks look gallow and saunt, especially since she's not smiling. She casts sideways glances at L, who is taking orders at another table. Something is strangely odd about her. Her lavender tulle skirt reaches just below her knees, mid-calf, and billows dangerously near the floor. She has a bored expression her face, ignoring the girl next to her. She takes a little sip of her fat-free latte, her cat-like eyes burning into the back of L's head.

The one on the left looks almost like a male. Her red hair is cropped short, bleached near the ends. She is a good few pounds over 'curvy', with multiple piercings on her lips, eyebrows and all over her ears. I'm sure her face is not the only place. She wears a scowl, along with a gothic looking top paired and black skinny jeans. Her high laced boots have about 5 inches of heel. She snaps her gum, looking even more unamused than the girl on the right.

Yet, there is an inexplicable resemblance between the two.

I decide they must be related, if not sisters. Afterall, why would such different girls even be in the same room? They clearly look as though they can't stand the thought of each other. Red Head whispers something into Fat-Free's ears, who responds with a curt nod.

I can feel a presence by my side, and turn to see Myungsoo. I give a little jump, clutching my heart. "You scared me," I sigh, slowly rubbing the dirty cloth on the table.

He shrugs, leaning down to my height. "Who are we staring at?"

"I'm not staring at anyone," I whisper, feeling slightly annoyed.

"Then why are we whispering?"

I roll my eyes, but point to the table where the girls are. Or, used to be. "Where did they go?" I mumble to myself. My eyes scan the crowded cafe, but there's no sign of a tight bun or flaming red hair. When I turn back to L, my heart beats faster. Both girls are next to us, Fat-Free staring with an expectant smile.

"Can I help you?" L says politely, but with a cold touch. His body looks stiffened, though I'm the only one who notices.

"Yes, you can, actually," Fat-Free replies, in a sugary voice. Mentally I scowl. Of course she has the most girlish voice in the entire planet. I'm surprised Myungsoo hasn't fallen head over heels from her presence. "My name is Jo Haneul, and my twin here is Hana," she says. I instinctively look over at Red Head (Hana), who looks extremely uncomfortable. Haneul shoots me an evil-eye, after observing me up and down. "You can leave," she says curtly. "This is a private talk."

I run over a few lines in my head, anything that's better than 'okay'. Just as I'm about to inch away, Hana whispers something into her sister's ear, and immediately, Haneul's eyes are wide open. "Wait!" she screams, lunging forward. "I-I mean.." She looks flustered for words, eyes asking her sister for help. Hana looks annoyed, biting her lip. "This is stupid," she says, loud enough for me to hear. The two exchange a few words, looking as if they're in an argument.

"Listen..." Myungsoo mumbles. "We're kind of busy, so, if--"

"We're going to Jeong Shin High School starting tomorrow!" Haneul blurts out. "And, so um... You two look like you go there too, so um.. are you dating?"

Well, Fat-Free is obviously not much of a speaker. Myungsoo puts a protective arm around my shoulders. He's probably getting the same strange vibes from them like I am. "I don't believe that's any of your business."

Without another word, he whisks me away from them, into the Employee's Only section. We enter the little kitchen, where Sungyeol and Hoya are diligently baking. Their heads lift up at our entrance. "Hey guys..." Sungyeol says awkwardly, as he ices gingerbread men.

"Don't you recognise her?" he mumbles. 

"Who?"

"Jo Haneul. That girl," he says, frustratedly.

My mind goes back over to the two girls. Which one was Haneul? "Fat-Free? What was wrong with her?"

He gives an exasperated sigh. "She's from France. The girl in the magazine article, Yunji's rival and all."

My blood runs cold as I realise who he's talking about. Was that her? I knew I disliked her as soon as I heard her name. "What's she doing in Seoul?" I whisper.

"I don't know. But something isn't right." Myungsoo shrugs off any shivers, and starts making his way back to the cafe. I follow him like a sheep. Once outside, I realise that the twins have disappeared. I walk over to the table near the corner of the room, where they once sat. 

Attatched to the end of the table is a little note, with black ink scribbled accross the torn up page.

CAREFUL, two twins spell double the trouble --

I clamp my mouth shut before any sound can come out. Who are these girls? I tuck the note into my shirt pocket before anyone--even Myungsoo--can see. 


dundunn! introducing the JO TWINS. haha. the pun wasn't intended, but it's there, LOL.

since you all liked the last soundtrack, i tried hard to find a suitable one for this chapter. it's kind of magical like Haneul and Hana. school starts in the next chapter, along with with Hana and Haneul's first day!
ppyong~