(041) ♡ fluffy bunny

A Cat's Love Story

The dead body is too big to be a kitten, but the right size of an average adult cat. My guts twist inside my stomach when I realise that it very well could be either Lupin or Hello. I walk up towards it slowly, with footsteps so light that it could pass for tip-toeing. By the time that I see it's face, I breathe out a sigh of relief.

This cat has tangerine coloured fur, an ordinary tom cat. A stray. One ear has been bitten off, though that wasn't the cause of it's death. It looks as though it was repeatedly run over by a car. Purposely? What kind of sick person would continue to run over it, again and again?

I decide to keep my mouth shut about this dead feline. If Nana knew, she'd think the worst of the situation, she'd get nervous and be overly cautious. I'd only scare her. Yes, I think to myself. I should keep this from her, to protect her...right? I shiver lightly as the cold wind rushes past me, almost as if it's a warning. I carry the little creature with my bare hands, and hide it behind a bush a few metres away from Nana's house. At least I have the comfort of knowing she won't find it.

 

The next morning, I'm greeted by her friendly smile. Nana looks bright this morning--like she normally would. "Hi," she says, in her forever whispered hush. 

"Hey, Care Bear," I mumble. "How are you?" There's a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. What did that cat mean? Just sitting here, waiting for the bell to ring makes me feel strangely preoccupied. Like my mind is somewhere far, far off, somewhere I can't even find. 

"Good. What about you? You look kind of sick." She rests her hand on my forehead for a minute, frowning when it comes off as neutral. 

"I'm fine," I assure her. When the bell chimes, I hold her hand once more before she returns to her assigned seat, next to Sungyeol. I can hear Nana's happy laughs, her greetings and Sungyeol's replies. But everything in my head is a blur. No matter how much I try to convince myself that this is a coincidence, that cats almost always end up as road-kill, I still can't breathe properly. What if Lupin was next, what if Hello was? Or one of the kittens. Suddenly I feel bad, more guilty than I should for a cat. We barely looked at our felines, barely looked after them. I make a mental note to self; pamper the kittens, Hello and Lupin. Don't let them out of your sight.

"Well, class, as your exams are almost coming up, it's time for our first semester project!" Mr. Chung says, happily. A chorus of groans passes through the students. "As part of the Society and Culture work that you have been doing with Ms. Young, you have until next week to have this project completed." He loiters around the room, handing out the assignment sheets.

"You and a partner need to examine a specific country, and present to the class a report about it's culture. No one can do Korea, as stated on the sheet. You must all tell me or Ms. Young your assignment topic by the end of the week. Now for the fun part--partners."

Mr. Chung pulls out a black top hat from under his desk, which is filled with little strips of paper. "If you're seated in the back of the classroom, unfortunately, you do not get to pick. Instead, your partner will be someone seated in the front half. They will stick their hand into the hat of misfortune and find someone's name!"

He passes by Kim Yeorin, who releases a quiet groan once she sees who she has. Mr. Chung walks down past the front row, and as he edges closer to my seat, I give a silent prayer that I pick out Nana's name. "Well, Mr. Kim," he says, gesturing towards the hat. I stick my hand cautiously into the hat, playing around with the strips of paper. I pick a random one, and pull it out, holding my breath.

As I unfold the piece of paper, one name greets me.

Lee Sungyeol.

What?! Is this really happening to me? I glance back at Sungyeol, who has the same happy grin slapped across his face. I have a feeling he won't be this happy when he finds out who his partner is. Mr. Chung walks off to Hana, as she picks out a person's name. "My sister?! Are you joking?"

Haneul's head instinctively snaps up, and hearing her twin's words, groans. I peek around, curious of who has Nana. Once Mr. Chung has finished distributing the names, and stands back at the front of the room. "I'll give you the rest of this period to discuss this project with your partner. Those seated in the front should move around to find their designated partner. Good luck," he mumbles, and opens up a packet of gum.

A loud buzz of students noises fills the room, and I work my way around to find Sungyeol. He looks at me, and I pull out a seat next to him. "What are you doing?" he mumbles, eyes wide.

"Let's do America. You're from America, right?" I say in a flat tone.

"Nooo! No, you're joking," he cries, hitting his head on the desk. "I'm already so depressed with Nana's partner," he wails. I pause to face him. "Who's Nana's partner?"

"That kid named Junhong or something," he mumbles. "He tells everyone to call him Zelo. What kind of name is Zelo?!"

I look around for Nana, who's puffy hair sticks out like a gemstone. Next to her is a blonde, curly haired boy, who has such an adorable eye smile that I want to smash him and hug him at the same time. "He's with Nana?" I say with a hint of jealousy. The kid looks about twelve. He has natural aegyo practically oozing off him. 

"I heard he's a bit of a player too," Sungyeol pouts, leaning over his desk. "I hope he doesn' try anything. He's coming over to her house tonight."

"I'm sorry, what?" I blink, almost unable to comprehend what Sungyeol has just told me. I mean seriously, one competitor is enough. Now I have to battle against a fluffy, adorable blonde kid? Seriously? Sungyeol just nods. "That's what he asked as soon as he came over to our table to whisk her away. I don't like the guy."

Neither do I, so it appears. I can already see his hands sneakily creeping around her shoulders, as he whispers something into her ear, that makes her cheeks blush. I furiously pound my fist against the table, making Sungyeol's head shake. "Ouch. So, your house or mine?"

 


really short chapter, i'll update soon! happy easter, guys! <3 hope you're safe and enjoying your holidays! c: