(037) ♡ list of priorities

A Cat's Love Story

This is the perfect scene for any teenager: a sizzling hot campfire, no parents and alcohol. Around us, the seven boys have gotten tipsy, yet not enough that they slur their words. "Hyung!" Sungjong giggles, throwing his hands around Sunggyu's neck. "Let me love you!"

Sunggyu, who is equally as drunk, scowls and recoils. "No, ew, dude. You're underaged and you look like a girl!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Woohyun says, laughing.

I munch on a squishy and half-burnt marshmallow, and watch with a sallow expression the drunk fools dancing across from me. In fact, even Nana has gotten slightly crazy. She's sobbing quietly into her palm, I watch as her little shoulders rise with every hiccup. I sigh, and walk over to her. "Are you okay?" I mumble, sitting next to her.

She takes her hands away, eyes glistening with fat drops of tears, and smiles. With a wet hand, she the side of my cheek, making me freeze. Was her touch always this warm? "You're so pretty," she whispers.

"No. You're prettier," I say quietly, as she flaps her arms like a chicken. Her smile soon turns into a frown, as she shoots me glares that pierce through my heart. Her eyes look deeper than I've ever remembered, as if they could see through my soul. "I hate you. Stop being pretty." And then she collapses onto my lap. Nana's head is heavy, but the weight of her feels strangely comforting. She blinks her eyes open, and looks at me, like she's waking up for the first time; taking her first breath.

"I'm sleepy, Myungsoo. Can you take me home now?" Nana gives a big yawn, as if to prove that she really deserves to go to bed. I chuckle, and kneel down below her. Nana jumps on gratefully like a little monkey, groping me like she'll fall off if she doesn't. She tightens her grip around my neck and sighs in content.

"I'm taking Nana back inside," I tell no one in particular. They're all hugging each other and singing some sort of chant. Rolling my eyes, I walk back up the pavement and towards the gleaming mansion. "Sungyeol, you're so cute..." she sighs. 

I pause slightly, then kick the door open so hard that it almost rips apart. The house is in complete darkness, but with one flick of the switch, the entire room is enlightened. I carry her to the lounge room, and place her frail body down. "So what do you think of Sungyeol?" I sigh, pushing her hair away from her forehead.

"Mmm.. he's cute. And chirpy." She smiles, like she's remembering some sweet memory. "He makes me feel pretty and important..."

"And Kim Myungsoo? What about him?" I prompt, leaning closer towards her. Nana blinks up at me with a frown. "Why are you talking about yourself in third person? Are you drunk? That's really not cute, just so you know."

So even a drunk Nana can make me laugh. I chuckle, making her give me another one of her dreamy smiles. She looks so peaceful, that I don't want to stir her awake. "This isn't really about me hugging Haneul, is it?" I mumble softly. With the moon shimmering it's light upon her through the balcony, her blush looks extremely delicate. If I touched her, I felt almost certain that she would crumble. In that second, she looked like a pixie, a creature of magic and fantasy. 

"No," she says. "No it's not." Her fingers play with the ends of her dress, in an almost embarrassed stance. "It hurts, doesn't it? Knowing that you're the second choice."

"What do you mean?" I whisper. 

"I mean, I want you to know how it feels. I hate the fact that you can throw me away anytime that you want. I hate that I wouldn't even mind. That, even if you dumped me one day and told me to get lost, I'd still be in love with you."

I think about this quietly, weighing her words in my head. "I never knew that you loved me."

"See, but you did. And even then it was always about Yunji. It hurt. I cried," she says, sounding more like a child than a drunk teenager. This revelation stabs me in the heart. How many times has she cried because of me? She's probably only ever smiled because of Sungyeol.

"What am I to you?" Nana says. "On your list of priorities, where do I stand?"

"I won't lie to you--you're always there. Most people don't realise that people are there until they leave. To me, you're like oxygen," I say, chuckling at the example. "I can't breathe without you. You're always going to be number one, because I need you to survive."

Nana smiles, and grabs hold of one of my hands. "Everyone needs oxygen to survive, but that doesn't mean you love it. No one loves oxygen because oxygen is faceless and ugly."

"I didn't mean it like that--"

"Do you love me?" she says softly, so softly that I can barely hear her. "Is it okay for me ask?"

I lean forward, and even through the stench of alcohol she still smells sweet. Like a meadow, or a flower. It's my favourite scent. "I'm scared you'll wake up tomorrow, have a hang-over and forget everything that happened today. But right now I'll tell you honestly. I love you. I always will." With a soft peck on her forehead, I rise, prepared to walk away. But her hand is still attatched to my own.

"I don't want to sleep and forget everything," she says, with a yawn. "Can you tell me again tomorrow? These days I've felt like one hundred."

"One hundred?" I mumble. 

"On your list of priorities..."

"I see. Well, now you know that you're first." I grin at her, and she smiles back. "I'll tell you again tomorrow. And everyday. Sorry if I've been a bad boyfriend," I tell her. The word sounds funny coming off my mouth. As if we're much, much more than two stupid kids, as if she's more than just my girlfriend.

"It's okay," she says wispily. Nana closes her eyes slowly, and time stops moving when her lashes rest on her cheeks peacefully. She looks like an angel. "Because you're second for me."

"Who's first?" I say, my curiousity sparking. "Sungyeol?"

"No," she smiles. "Hello. And then Grandpa."

"So I'm third?"

"I guess so..." Nana stretches, yawning again. I watch her prowl like a cat preparing to sleep. It's oddly entertaining. "Goodnight Care Bear," I mumble.

"Goodnight Myungsoo..."


I hope I didn't disappoint!