(042) ♡ creepers in the night

A Cat's Love Story

I look at Nana as she bites into her sandwich with her delicate pink lips, watch as her curly hair falls down past her shoulders. Her eyes trail up towards my own, making little crescents as she smiles.

"That blonde kid. You know him?" I say, cringing. 

Her smile tugs down slightly at the edges but doesn't falter. Nana shrugs. "Zelo? Kind of. We're doing that country assignment together on Japan."

"I wish I picked you," I groan, hitting my head back onto the spine of the tree. I can feel the rough bark through my hair, as I carelessly knock my head backwards. Nana frowns, taking another bite. "I'm horrible with these kinds of things. Who do you have?"

"Sungyeol," I mumble through gritted teeth.

"See? He's even American! You're lucky you got him." She laughs as she chews.

"So blon--Zelo...he's going to your house tonight?" I try and gulp down the disappointment and envy that is dripping in my voice, but fail miserably. Nana looks into my eyes for the shortest of seconds, like she can read my mind. "Grandpa's going to be home, so we won't really be alone..." Nana mumbles softly. She says this as if I'm a young child and she's trying to comfort me. But what can I say? 'Don't do that assignment because I'm jealous'? Not that I am jealous...

"What happened to 'I'm not jealous because I trust you'?" she jokes. "Or do you not trust me anymore?"

"It's not you I don't trust," I tell her quietly. "It's...I don't even want to say his name. 'Zelo'. That's a weird name. Would you name your son 'Zelo'? Let's never, ever, ever name our child Zelo..." Without even realising it, I've jumped to the assumption that we'll have a child. My cheeks turn a bright crimson, as I watch Nana smirk.

"Okay. I wouldn't like the name Zelo for our son anyway."

"What then?"

"Hmm... I was sort of thinking...Jaesun? Is that weird? It means 'respect' and 'goodness'. I mean, if you don't like it, it's..."

I think about this for a minute as she blabs on about it not being perfect enough. She never thinks she's perfect enough. "No, I like it," I assure her. "Kim Jaesun." I stare into her eyes for a bit until the silence becomes awkward. Nana releases a little laugh, and tucks her knees in under her. She's kneeling on the grass, beneath a cherry blossom tree, and this scene is so perfect. Even if she points out all of the flaws. 

In one little conversation, Nana's managed to make me feel better. I'm not as worried about Zelo and Nana anymore, because, well...I guess I do trust her. But I'm still going to wait outside her house to see what's going on--with or without Lee Sungyeol. 


He's wearing trainers, so the annoying sound of his feet pounding against the concrete is hammering in my head like a strong, never ending pulse. Sungyeol skips with a beat. An annoying beat.

"Will you cut that out?!" I growl, turning around to face him. He stops in his tracks, his mouth in an innocent little 'o'.

"Stop what?"

"Walking like that! It's so...ugh," I groan, throwing my head back. 

"Well, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning," Sungyeol says in a chirpy voice. With one glance, he shuts up. His irritating steps are softened as we walk to my house. Nana should be close by, I can imagine her soft tangles of hair bouncing as she walks with hurried steps. Zelo watching her with his dirty eyes, probably his lips while watching her body before him.

I grumble and swear under my breath, just hoping to get home quickly. 

The door to my house is locked, since Jungwoo probably isn't home from his highschool yet. I figure that if I never moved out, I would've gone to that same school too. Practically jabbing the code in, I pull the door open with sweaty palms. "Take your shoes off," I say half-heartedly, waving him inside.

Once he enters and removes his trainers, he breathes out a little gasp. "Woah..." It's starting to become a predictable reaction. I jump onto my couch, pushing Jungwoo's dirty laundry to the ground, and rest my chin on the arms. 

"Okay, so, I borrowed some books from the library and..."

"Sorry, Sungyeol, maybe we should do this another day," I say gently. His face falls like a little boy who got his ice cream taken away from him. "Why? You invited me here!"

"Yeah, but I'm doing something tonight..." I mumble.

"Like what?" He plops down beside me.

My eyes dart across the room, trying to come up with something to say. In the end, I heave a great sigh and confess to him the truth. "I'm gonna go see if Nana's okay with Zelo."

Sungyeol has the same chipmunk-ish, adorable grin on his face. He leans in closer to me, wiggling his eyebrows. "So you're technically going to stalk her?"

"I'm not stalking her! I'm not..." I say, more to myself than to Sungyeol. My cheeks are burning, though I don't see  why. I'm not stalking her. Really. 

"Okay, then. Can I come?"

"No."

"Why not?" 

"Because I said no."

His cheeks start bulging really cutely, and I'm scared he'll shoot me with an aegyo attack. "Please, Myungsoo?" he says, blinking. I push his face away from me. "Get off."

Sungyeol places his index finger delicately on his lip. "I guess I'll have to tell Nana and that blonde kid all about your little stalking expedition..."

"For the last time, I am not stalking them!" I grumble, frustrated. "Fine. Come. But I'm not stopping for you if you trip or something. It'll be dark." But the look on his face tells me he couldn't care less.


Nana's house looks strangely comforting, more so in the night than in daylight. It has a sort of homely buzz, of candles and velvet cusions. It looks so warm and antique. "Come on," I whisper, tip-toeing behind a berry bush. We're on the other side of the fence that cuts Nana's house and mine now, right outside her traditional styled house. Sungyeol walks like a giant bear, with zero stealth. "Can't you be any quieter?" I sigh. 

I step over a crunchy leaf. Sungyeol steps on it. "Sorry," he whispers to me, as we work our way to the back of the house. I stick to the wall like a spider, never leaving it's side. It's dark, almost 6 p.m., so if Nana happened to pop her little head out, she wouldn't be able to spot the two boys creeping outside. 

A warning bell goes off in my head, as a soft, warm and fuzzy object passes by my leg. Turning around, I breath a sigh of both shock and relief. "Hoon," I mumble, picking up the baby kitten. I rub it's nose against my own, as it blinks back at me innocently. How long has it been since I've seen him? I place him back down on the ground, trying to avoid Sungyeol's curious gaze. 

As we reach the back door, I can hear Nana's high pitched voice. They're probably in the living room. I place my finger on my lips, signalling to Sungyeol to be as silent as a mime. "Okay, so, Japan..." she says quietly.

I can hear the ruffle of papers, and in my mind I can almost vision Nana shifting seating positions on the soft carpet. "Should we start?"

The atmosphere seems awkward, which is fair enough. Nana is an awkward girl. "Well, we should write about the cities first!" the male voice says happily. 

"Ah, we should, shouldn't we?" she mumbles. This seeems fairly innocent. I can hear the click of a pen lid being opened, the scratch of it running across fine paper.  My heart skips a beat as Nana gives a small yelp. Crash, crash. Stumble. A hushed whisper. "A-ah..." she mumbles.

"Are you okay?" Zelo says coyly. I can already hear the smirk in his voice. But what's happening? It sounds like he's fallen on top of her or something. A little voice screams out in my head.

"Wanna go to your room? It'll be easier to study..." he coaxes. No! I think mentally. Do not go to your room! Unconciously, my palms begin to sweat. I grab hold of Sungyeol's shirt, my eyes wide, asking 'did you hear that?'. One glance at his pale face tells me that he definitely did hear that.

"Um...okay. As long as it'll be easier to study," she says coolly. I hear her gathering their equipment, the sound of heavy feet walking away. Far, far away.

Frantically, my hands find the door knob, and maybe in some strange way I'll stop this from happening. Where's her grandpa? I thought she said they wouldn't be alone! The old man needs to stop this. No, I need to stop this. Just as I'm about to push the handle down, it flies open, and all of a sudden my face is on the floor. Sungyeol falls on top of me, a heavy and warm human body. "Hey, get off!" I grumble, trying to push myself off the ground.

I look up, and a solemn, bearded face greets me. "Oh good, you're here," Nana's grandfather says, happily. He's dressed in traditional Korean clothing, but I wouldn't be able to imagine him in anything else. Sungyeol and I scramble off the floor, both of us in a hurry to bow and greet him. "Get in quickly, and close the door!"

Sungyeol pulls it shut, making me feel much more comfortable. Memories of her house come flooding in--of Hoon and Minkyung, kimchi ramen and fake ice-skating dates. We both sit awkwardly on their small couch, as her grandfather studies us. "Why didn't you come earlier? Your cats are shedding fur everywhere and that banana headed child is all over my granddaughter!" 

"You have a cat?" Sungyeol asks me.

"Practically six. Hello's Nana's, though. Stupid furry thing. It's hideous. Anyway, who are you?" He looks at Sungyeol, studying his face. "You look familiar."

"I'm Nana's friend," he says, bowing. 

"And which of you two are dating Nana?" he says, raising his eyebrows quizically.

"I am," we both say at the same time. My eyes dart to the tall boy sitting next to me. "In your dreams," I chuckle, rolling my eyes.

"Okay then..." her grandpa mumbles, staring at us as if we were pea green aliens. "Go unattatch the banana head's lips from Nana's. Go!" he commands. 

Sungyeol and I both walk like toy soldiers to the first room down the hallway. The door is shut tight, quiet murmurs escaping from beneath it. "Did he say lips?" Sungyeol whispers. 

I kick the door with my foot, holding my breath as it swings further and further. I look at the scene before me. No kissing. No kids on top of each other. Only Nana and Zelo, a page full of writing and two pens. Nana looks up at the sudden movement, alarmed. Her doe eyes make her look like an animal caught in headlights. 

"Um..." I start, awkwardly. Zelo is staring at us strangely, though I couldn't care less what he thinks.

"Myungsoo?" She squints, looking behind me. "Sungyeol? Is that you? What are you doing here?" Her tone isn't exactly angry, but it isn't too friendly either. In the heat of the moment, Sungyeol wraps one arm lazily around my shoulders. "We came to join you! We have lots of problems, thought maybe you could help?"

Nana still has a blank face, probably thinking something like 'I can't help you with anything related to studying'. And she probably can't. Sungyeol catches her gaze, and throws her a wink. He saunters in casually, pulling me by the neck. We sit down on the floor next to them, and unfortunately I'm seated next to Zelo. He glances at us suspiciously.

"Who's he?" he pouts. 

"Her boyfriend," I state simply.

"Then who's he?" Zelo points to Sungyeol. He stands out like a giraffe amongst guinea pigs. Tall and towering over everyone like skyscraper.

"Her boyfriend," he says, shrugging.

We get the same reaction from Zelo like we did from Nana's grandpa, but I'm so used to it that I don't even bother to correct him or give a witty remark. Nana yawns from the corner of the room, rubbing her eyes with her fists in little balls. "Sleepy?" I mumble to her.

She shrugs. "What did you guys need help with?"

"Er..." I glance at Sungyeol. We have the same clueless expression. I feel the corner of my lips tug upwards. "What's the best way to squish a banana?"


ookay, so that was long. I tried updating on my phone, but it took so long so I waited until I came back home. no joke. one sentece = 30 minutes. 
Anyway, there's this song that I wanted to include in the OST. It was either Bom Bom Bom (Spring Spring Spring) as the song that Nana wrote for Myungsoo on his birthday, or A Shy Confession Song - Milktea.
The only crap part was that I couldn't find the song anywhere! I was looking and looking, but there were no english lyrics or anything.
So I went with Bom Bom Bom.
AND SO, LOVE RAIN COMES OUT WITH EP 5 WHICH REPLAYS A SHY CONFESSION SONG 5000 TIMES! i was like ;-;. 
So you guys should listen to it when the official OST for love rain comes out.
Anyway this is a long author's note. bai. <3