(035) ♡ pension

A Cat's Love Story

Sungyeol's father looks like what you'd expect of any wealthy baker. He has a bulging stomach, a shiny, bald head and wears tropical shirts as if it's in fashion. "Children!" he cries happily, sound almost exactly like his son. He visits us as soon as school ends, and the shop opens. Nana's in her bear costume, and I'm in my waiters uniform. Normally. Mr. Lee doesn't come to the shop; he merely supplies Sungyeol with money to carry on the business. But today, he's looking bright and bubbly and streaming with sunshine. "I have a present for you!"

We gather around, and a few customers look over their shoulders to see who's causing so much noise. Sungyeol mimics his father's smile next to him, as Nana takes her head off. She puffs out, sweating.

"Boys, because of you, this shop has gained more profit than it has in years! Sales are sky-rocketing, and it's all thanks to your hard work. So, here's a surprise..." He has an estatic smile, as he pulls out a fat envelope. "Pension!" he squeals, like a teenage girl.

"Pension?" Youngmin mumbles, raising an eyebrow.

"Pension!" Sungyeol says happily. "I think he means 'holiday'."

"Ohhhh..." we all say, nodding our heads.

"It's for this weekend, at the beach! Isn't that exciting?" I realise that he has this incredibly happy face on, like he's on drugs. Almost like Sungyeol.

"Wait, wait, wait," Hoya says, shaking his head. "You said 'boys', sir?"

"Sorry, I meant 'manly men'."

"What about Nana?" We all turn to look at the little girl dressed in a large bear costume, standing awkwardly in the corner. She chuckles nervously. I try to look away from her large doe eyes, trying to ignore her presence. 

"Oh. You want the mascot to tag along?" 

The other staff nod their heads. Mr. Lee considers this. "Seven, eight, nine....hmm.. It'll be a bit awkward since she's the only girl, but since you are in odd numbers, she can have the room to herself!" He claps his hands joyfully like a seal, only happier. "I'll arrange the van, and you can meet here tomorrow!"


I hardly expected her to wear a bikini, but when I see Nana the next day, dressed in pale pink shorts and a loose singlet, I breathe a sigh of relief. I want to strike a conversation up, but she instantly looks away, turning to face Sungyeol. I sigh, leaning against the wall. So we're still not on speaking terms. Sungyeo looks like a skinner, younger version of Mr. Lee. He's dressed in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, along with a cap.

"The house has four rooms," he says, pouting. "But I have it all planned out! Myungsoo and I will sleep in the living room, and you can take our room."

"Why am I suddenly your roomie?" I grumble, looking away.

"Because I love everyone else too much to make them sleep on the floor or lounge," he states simply. Nana shakes her head, though, letting her soft curls fall down to her shoulders. "It's fine. I like the living room better, anyway. I'm an early riser." The corners of her lips rise in a lazy half-smile.

In a few minutes, the bus arrives. It's a sickly pale yellow, and the driver is an old man with a moustache. He nods once, and we all get on silently.

There are many empty seats, although there's only one girl I want to sit next to. I look around for Nana's small head before Sungyeol can get to her. But when I spot her, he's already got a tight grasp on her wrist. Immediately, I grab her other hand, making them both turn around to face me. "Hey, Nana's sitting with me," he pouts.

"Says who?" I challenge.

"First come first serve!"

"Don't treat her like a trophy to fight over," I growl, staring into his deep brown eyes. Stupid, handsome Sungyeol. "Um...guys?" she pipes, looking up shyly. "I'll sit on my own for this ride, I wouldn't want someone to be lonely..." Without another word, she sinks into the seat before us, pulling out a toy to place into the empty seat beside her.

I hastily sit in the seat behind her, shooting deathly glances whenever I can at Sungyeol. He sits next to me. "Go sit over there," I say, pointing to the chairs a few metres away.

"I want to be next to Nana," he wails.

"First come first serve," I reply, sticking my tongue out. I roll my eyes, and turn to the window, where the houses roll past. In the reflection, I can see the back of the toy she's hugging. It's a white shade, and is extremely big...The tones look awfully familiar, with the same fluffy ears and the same annoying pearly white fur. "Sungyeol the dog?" I mumble angrily, watching as she pats its ear. I groan to myself mentally. Obviously MyungBear is better. It's more expensive, has better quality and is a mini version of our mascot! YeolPuppy or whatever she calls it looks like a cheap, convenient-store-bought plush, that wouldn't ever amount to my toy.

I hit myself in my mind. Am I really insulting a toy puppy?

Leaning my head against the window, I watch her as she ties her hair back into two pigtails. She combs her fingers through her delicate locks, sighing. She'll come back to me soon enough. She always does.

The bus runs over a rock, making us all jump. I hit my head against the windows--hard. Nana's head snaps around. She peeks at me through the cracks beside the window. "Are you okay?" she says, in a concerned tone.

I nod, touching the small bump on the top of my head. She realises that she wasn't supposed to speak to me, and goes back to hugging the stupid dog. "Guess who gave her that?" Sungyeol whispers, leaning closer to me than neccessary. I scowl in disgust and push him away from me.

"For your information, bears are incredibly strong animals. They're hunters. And dogs are little house pets."

"Girls like dogs better than bears," he says, with a cheesy smile. I roll my eyes. "Whatever."


The house is huge. It's a Victorian styled town house, complete with four balconies and double doors. Nana's mouth is gaping open at the sight of it, and I walk up to her, playfully tapping her chin. "You're attracting flies," I tease.

"Garbage always attracts flies," she mumbles, before stepping away from me. I sigh, and ruffle the back of my hair. "Fight, again?" Dongwoo mumbles, shaking his head.

"Yeah," I sigh. "But I'll fix it."

"You'd better," he says, munching on a chocolate bar. It smears above his upper lip, making him look like a child rather than the second eldest. "Or I'll probably break your bones. Yah, Lee Howon, wait for me!" he cries. I give a little sigh, and walk towards the house with heavy steps. I can't stay mad at her for too long. 


this was just a short and fun chapter! i'll update soon~
myungsoo, make your move. NOW. >>
And also, check back to the foreword for some new features yaaay:
1. OST ! :o <3
2. new, second poster!
3. character chart :DD