(04) ♡ the closet

A Cat's Love Story

Sungyeol looks at me with wide eyes. The silence is unbearable, though the imaginary s ound of his heart breaking is almost deafening. "I.." My eyes dart towards the door, and I hear the sound of it clicking shut. Myungsoo steps out, looking confused. A flash of recognition goes across his face, as he realises who the boy is.
"So you're dating, huh?" he says in English, sticking his chin out. "Nana's mine, okay?"

L probably doesn't understand anything, but he says simply, "Okay," and walks off. In an instant, I forget about Sungyeol and chase after him. I grab hold of his arm as he speeds down the hallway. His face is unreadable, expressionless and still. Before he has a chance to escape my weak grip, I wiggle out of his jumper, and place it in his hands. "Thank you," I say, just before the coldness creeps in. I wonder how he's managed to survive the whole day. It's freezing, like a thousand icicles are clinging onto my skin. I shiver lightly, and try to control my teeth from chattering. It seems like Myungsoo's noticed my distaste for the cold, and instantly hands it back, chuckling. "Wear it and then give it back tomorrow. I'm gonna go now, bye."

As he walks off, I momentarily feel like laughing. Why is his speech always so awkward and cold? It's as if he has a sort of shield around himself, for protection. I want to keep up with him, run after him, but his walking speed is faster than my sprint. "Is he even human?" I think out loud, my quiet voice echoing in the empty hallways. I have a free period after lunch anyway, so I might as well go home too.

Once I'm outside, it's still raining, so I open Myungsoo's umbrella. The sky is a creepy black, and lightning is crackling like it's the end of the world. I shiver once again, and as the thunder rumbles, my eyes go blank, as memories take over my mind.

flashback
11 years ago
"Mummy! Where are you?" the little girl shrieked, looking around frantically. Another bolt of lightning flashed across the sky, and she screamed. Not knowing where her parents were, she clambered into the empty closet, feeling protected by the sturdy wood.
"
Rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake Where's the cat?
Horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, boar Where's the cat?
They searched and searched, but there is no cat.

It was a long long time ago,
All were gathered
The cat, only the cat did not show.
Did she forget? Or was she in her dreams?
Dont remember, meow
Cant recall, meow
But if thats done and over, what am I to do?

Though it is done and over,
There would be a second chance?
The cat called on everybody
The cat, only the cat showed this time.
Did they forget? Or are they in their dreams?
Dont know, meow.
Can't help it, meow.
But if its done and over, what am I to do?" Nana sang, tears spilling over. She repeated the song over a million times, her hands over her ears in a sad attempt to block out the deep cries of the thunder and lightning. "Where's the cat?"

 

present
The sky is black, and my heart bangs straight into my ribs. The sound of the thunder is deafening. I bring my hands over my ears just like when I was a child, and begin to sing. "Rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake Where's the cat? Horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, boar Where's the cat? They searched and searched, but there is no cat."

I run all the way back home, holding the umbrella with one hand, and covering my other ear with the other. With the tears spilling over my eyes like tsunami waves, memories of my mother swirl around my head. Since I was young, I was always that girl. That girl with no father. That girl with the mother who went to clubs every night. That girl, the unfortunate one. I run faster and faster, allowing the wind to engulf me in its stormy path. I finally reach my grandfather's house after a long while of endless running. My hands knock on the door, shivering. There is no answer.

I clmusily fumble with my bag, looking for the keys that are not there. The table. I left them on the table. I mentally curse my stupidity, and look around. It's cold and windy and I have no where to go, the only thing I need right now is a closet. My eyes find L's house. The solitary mansion, standing proud and pristine in this gloomy weather. The house that could possibly be my sanctuary. Still dragging the umbrella with me, even though I'm soaked, I take baby steps towards his house.

I press the door bell lightly, silently praying for someone to be home. After a few seconds, Myungsoo opens the door, ruffling his hair with a towel. He looks so fresh and clean and nice-smelling, wearing a new jumper and loose jeans. "Nana?" he says, just as I run in. I enter his preppy house, and run to the nearest bedroom, and hide myself in his closet. My breath hitches as I'm welcomed into the darkness. The storm is still going strong, but beneath these wooden walls, the sound is quietened. I sink down to the floor of the wardrobe, my arms wrapped tightly around my knees.

From the corner of the room, I can hear Myungsoo's footsteps advancing to my hiding place. In one swift movement, he pushes the door open, and I feel so bare, vulnerable and weak under his gaze. In one hand, he is holding furry earmuffs, which he places over my head gently. We're both incredibly still for a minute, until the thunder strikes once more, and I push myself into his arms. This time, though, he allows me to bury my face into his chest, and wraps his arms around my waist, leaving me feeling secure and a little bit tingly. When I finally do release him, the thunder has stopped, but the sound of my heart crashing into my ribs is louder than anything I've ever heard before. What's this feeling? My cheeks flush crimson as I run away, once again.


YAY! poster! ngaws myungsooooo-ah!
and I am not lying, I spent like three hours looking for a cat song. IT WAS SO HARD! the best I could do was this nekodoko which is japanese. Nana's umma is jap now okay? cx