(01) ♡ first day of winter

A Cat's Love Story

NANA

His eyes are as deep brown as the mud on my boots. Yes, he is good-looking, but the only girls who fall for him are biased and materiallistic teenagers. I scoff to myself quietly, pushing my glasses up. He looks at the board, still as a statue and waiting for our teacher to arrive. He looks unaware of the girls surrounding him, crowding around his desk, desperate to get a peek. It's interesting, though, watching them squirm over that one boy. Is he that special? What's so attracting about him? Kim Myungsoo looks over in my direction, and immediately I recoil, hair falling over my eyes in hope to remain annonymous.

Mr. Chung snapping his gum brings me back to life, as he enters the room with the elegance of a duck. "Good morning class," he says, in his usual monotone voice. "Today, we have a new student. He's an exchange student from America, so please treat him well, despite the language barrier."

At those exact words, a hip-hop looking boy walks in, wearing baggy jeans, a snapback cap and and jersey. "'Sup, sir?" he says, with an exaggerated voice. He has a clear American accent when he says, " An-yeong-a-sehh-yoo?" 
He scans the room, as if looking for something specifically. I can't stand the awkward silence, and am about to look away from him when he screams. "You!" he jumps over tables and chairs in our paths, until he reaches my desk. "You! My angel! My Belle! You are here," he grabs me into an extremely tight hug, much to my distaste. I want to push him off, tell him I can't breathe, but he is suffocating me with his warmth.

"Sit down, Lee," Mr. Chung commands, struggling to quiet the class down.

"Sit down? How can I sit down if I have just met my angel? My beautiful Belle, the woman I am going to marry! And you want me to sit down?" he says, exasperated.

"That is quite enough for one day, Sungyeol," Mr. Chung says. "Continue your love parade after class is over, and take a seat."

"Can I sit next to Nana?" he begs, eyes wide, like the cat in Shrek. 

"Oh, alright!" Mr. Chung says, tired of the ruckus. I lower my head, hoping that no one notices me. But of course everyone continues to stare, pretending to listen to the boring History lesson, while sneaking glances in my direction. Through the entire hour, his arms stay wrapped around me, as he smiles happily. 

Once class is over, he walks me outside. I hear whispers all around me. "She isn't even pretty," Jung Krystal says, snickering. "Though America boy is pretty cute."

I blush madly, wanting to stand up to her, though I know I never will. I sigh in defeat, watching them giggle and walk away. The boys stare at the group of girls as they swing their hips and laugh wildly, heads thrown back and hair flipping. I scowl to myself.

"Don't worry, my Belle! You are much more beautiful than any girl in the whole of Korea--no, in the world!"

I snap around, prepared to confront this mad stranger. "Who are you?"

"Your husband," he replies, blandly. "Just kidding, the name's Sungyeol, like the teacher guy said."

"No, I mean, who put you up to this? You don't seem like such a bad guy, so please don't continue this any further," I let my hair fall down past my eyes, trying to avoid the students walking in a rush to their next class.

"Aww, have you been misleaded often? Did your last boyfriend dump you for someone else? Because I wouldn't, ever!"

"Actually..." I started, looking around desperately.

"Yes...?"

"Actually...." Just when I was about to tell him that I had never had a boyfriend in my entire life, a scheming idea sneaks it's way into my brain, screwing it inside like a nail. The idea sits on my head, as I ponder quickly with miliseconds ticking by, on whether I should lie or not. "I already have a boyfriend!" I exclaim loudly, gaining the awkward glances from my fellow schoolmates. I turn tomato red. 

"What?!" he says, with such a disappointed face, I want to hug him. 

"I-I'm sorry..." I say quietly, waiting for his tears to fall. But to my surprise, he gets right back up from the floor. "The guy must be pretty lucky to have you," he says. "But a little friendly competition isn't that bad. Who is he?"

My eyes look around the school, desperate to come up with a random name. Locker? Dirty Floor? Janitor's Closet?! "Umm...I don't want to tell you. You might hit him or something.." I lie, "So, please don't come after me anymore, okay? Let's be friends!" I say in crappy English, sprinting away from the first boy who's ever loved me.

As I reach the end of the hallway, Kim Myungsoo is lurking about in the shadows. I turn my head to look at him, to see him smirk once, before he's gone.


i've decided to re-write the first few chapters, I wasn't satisfied with my writing!