Turn the Lights On

In Search of Meaning
Please log in to read the full chapter

"I don't have time to explain," Kyuhyun stated as he turned away from Hongbin, and gripped the bars of Hyuk's cell. "Get your brother out."

Nodding, Hongbin rushed to Moonbin's cell, and the sound of creaking metal echoed in the tunnel as the two older cyborgs pried open the doors. Kyuhyun was almost done making a large enough gap for Hyuk, when he suddenly heard footsteps coming their way. With a small burst of adrenaline, Kyuhyun completed the task in one final tug.

Panting from the exertion, Kyuhyun straightened his suit and started walking towards the approaching enemy, "Hongbin, Hyuk, go find your friends, and get everyone out."

"What about-," Hongbin grunted as he struggled to open his brother's cell, "-you?" 

Rather than answering, Kyuhyun remained silent when a flashlight came to life just down the hall, and its beam landed him. 

A gruff voice called out. "What the hell is going on down here-"

Kyuhyun raised his hand, and...

BOOM!

...an electric blue pulse erupted from his palm. The wave of concentrated electromagnetic energy flew down the tunnel, and the figures of the two suits were revealed as they were hit. They cried out as their bodies were flung back, and they disappeared into the darkness. A couple seconds later, two thudding sounds came echoing back as the only proof that they hit the floor; hard. 

"I'm going to turn the power back on, and deactivate the lockdown," Kyuhyun answered calmly, as if he didn't just blow two guys away with a wave of his hand. The elder cyborg walked back to the younger men just as Moonbin managed to slip out of his cell. "Head to the other side of the facility. Leo is in the hospital ward on the fifth floor. Ken should be in his cell on the third floor. As for your other friends, I don't know where they are. Except for Hakyeon, I know he's on the sixth floor."

"There's a sixth floor?" Hongbin asked in surprise. 

"Yes," Kyuhyun replied as he brushed past the three younger cyborgs, and they followed him as he strolled down the corridor. "I don't know much about the sixth floor," the ex-suit continued to explain as he turned a corner to head down a different hallway. "All I know is that very few subjects go up there, and after a couple days they come back down dead. As far as I know, Hakyeon is still alive. He's probably the only subject that has lasted longer than a week on that floor."

Hyuk stumbled forward a little as he asked, "What happens on the sixth floor?"

"I don't know." Kyuhyun responded curtly, before stopping at a single door at the end of the narrow hall. 

Taking a deep breath, Kyuhyun slammed his palms against the door, and with a loud BANG the metal barrier flew back to reveal a dark stairwell. 

"Go," Kyuhyun ordered, pointing to the stairs leading upward while he himself approached the descending stairs. "After my job is done, I'll come help you escape."

Before anyone could say anything more, Kyuhyun rushed down the stairwell and disappeared into the darkness. 

Cursing under his breath, Hongbin hauled himself up towards the darkness above, "Come on! Let's find Jaehwan first."

 

~  ~  ~

 

Leo's heart raced as he peeked through the small square window of his hospital room door, glancing back and forth down the dim hallway. The ward was in utter disarray as nurses and doctors rushed from room to room, checking on the patients on life support. 

After spending the last few days in the hospital recovering from his fight with Taekwoon, Leo nearly drove himself nuts thinking about all the things that could be happening to his friends; especially Hakyeon. Over and over, he replayed his reunion with the vet back in the fighting arena, but one specific moment in particular kept standing out to him.

The gashes on Hakyeon's chest. They disappeared, Leo pondered to himself repeatedly. How? HOW?

But his thoughts that day were interrupted by the power going out, and the building going into lockdown. Before he could even think of escaping, the door had shut and locked itself automatically. For five minutes straight, Leo charged and pounded at the immovable barrier. It was only when his knuckles started bleeding that he stopped to recollect himself. 

What the hell is going on? The wolf man wondered, watching the chaos unfold outside. 

Suddenly, he heard startled gasps outside to the left of his door, and Leo pressed his cheekbone to the cold glass of the window as he tried to see what happened. He saw nurses backing up in fear, and then...

"O-Onew?" Leo stuttered in shock as he watched the pink-haired man walk with urgency down the hall. In the restaurant owner's arms was an unconscious man wearing a bloodied black suit. Strangely, one of the suit's sleeves was missing, leaving his arm bare to the world.  As Onew passed Leo's door, the wolf man pounded his fists on the window and yelled, "Onew!"

Onew's steps faltered upon hearing his name, and his eyes widened when he met Leo's gaze. For a moment, the pink-haired man glanced back and forth between the man in his arms and Leo, as if he was conflicted. Then, he sighed and turned toward Leo's door.

"Stand back!" Onew ordered, and Leo complied just before the door abruptly flew off its hinges and slammed into the opposite wall. 

Rushing to the open doorway, Leo asked, "Onew, what-"

Leo cut himself off when the man was no where in sight. With an exasperated sigh, Leo ran down the hall in search of a stairwell.

Find the others, and escape, he chanted to himself like a mantra in his head. Hakyeon. I need to find Hakyeon!

Just then, he turned the corner and came face-to-face with two surprised suits. However, the moment of surprise passed, and the two men launched at the wolf man. Leo dodged the first man's punch, while simultaneously grabbing hold of his arm. Seeing the second suit whip out a baton stun gun, Leo twisted the first man's arm to maneuver the suit's body in front of him as a shield. When he saw that the other suit was unfazed by the tactic, Leo brought his foot up to the small of the first suit's back and pushed him forward. 

The first suit cried out as he was shoved into the baton, and his body convulsed as electricity coursed through his body. Enraged, the second suit shoved the other onto the floor without a care, and charged at Leo. Taking large steps back, Leo ducked and dodged each swing of the baton. Luckily for Leo, the doctors and nurses were smart enough not to interfere with the fight, and only sent wary glances at the battling duo before going back to their own tasks. 

After one exaggerated swing, the suit momentarily left himself wide open. Taking the opportunity, Leo stepped forward and landed a hard punch to the man's stomach. As the suit doubled over, Leo grabbed the man's wrist and twisted the baton out of his grip. With an angry snarl, Leo swung the rod down into the back of the suit's head, and the man crumpled to the floor. 

Holding onto the newly acquired weapon, Leo continued his search for a way out of the hospital ward. After a few moments of wandering, he heard the echoes of another fight happening just down the hall. 

"Where is he?!" Leo's wolf ears perk up at the roar of a familiar voice.

Rushing toward the fight, Leo barely glanced at the few nurses he carelessly shoved out of his way. Nearing the loud sounds of fists meeting skin, Leo found himself approaching an open area; which he quickly identified as one of the nurses' stations.

Multiple suits were lying on the floor, writhing and groaning in pain. Meanwhile, a group of nurses were huddled behind the counter of the station, as they fearfully watched the last two brawlers duke it out in the center of the open area. 

"Answer me, ! Where is he??" the voice shouted, and another punch was landed on the last suit. The man in black fell to the floor to reveal a seething cheetah man.

"Key!" Leo called out, relieved to finally see a friendly face.

Key's head snapped up at Leo's voice, and the blonde's furious expression softened slightly, "Leo." The cheetah man raced to the wolf, purposely stepping on a few suits along the way. "Have you seen Jonghyun?" Key asked when he finally stood before the taller hybrid. 

Shaking his head, Leo's gaze wandered to the trembling nurses, "They might know."

Key followed Leo's gaze and nodded in agreement. Both hybrids strolled across the carnage created by Key, and the nurses cowered as they approached. Leo and Key worked together to interrogate the poor hospital staff, but were disheartened to find that they knew nothing of Jonghyun's whereabouts. Frustrated, Key kicked the front of the counter with a curse. 

Leo sighed, and tugged the cheetah man away from the nurses, "Come on, Key. More suits are probably on their way here. Let's just focus on finding the others, for now."

Taking a deep breath, Key nodded and followed Leo through the maze that was the hospital ward. As they searched for an open stairwell, they were fortunate enough to only encounter a few suits along the way. However, they both knew their luck would eventually run out. This proved to be true when they turned a corner, and they were met with a dozen suits waiting for them.

In a moment of hesitation, the hybrids shared a quick glance as if asking each other what they should do. But when Leo noticed Key's gaze hardening in determination and hands curling into fists, the wolf clenched his jaw and tightened his grip on the baton. Together they let out a unified feral roar, and charged.

 

~  ~  ~

 

Onew quickened his pace as he waded through the onslaught of panicked nurses and doctors. When he turned a corner in search of the operating rooms, he came to a halt when he almost ran into a doctor. She was a grey-haired woman who looked to be in her fifties, and she was short enough for her long white coat to nearly touch the floor.  

When their eyes met, a look of shock spread across her face, "Jinki?!"

Hearing her voice, Onew realized who she was, "Dr. Han."

The woman stammered in awe, "W-What are you doing here? After the accident, I thought-" She cut herself off when her gaze landed on the suit in Onew's arms, and a whole new wave of shock overtook her. "Good Lord, Kai! What-"

"I need your help," Onew spoke urgently, prompting her to meet his gaze once again. "Where is the nearest operating room?"

"O-oh, this way, this way!" Dr. Han turned around to lead him down the hall, frantically waving people out of her way as she cried out, "Move aside! Emergency patient coming through!"

The further they went down the dim hall, the less people there were. Soon they came upon a pair of double doors, and Dr. Han pushed them open to reveal a dark operating room. While the doctor began to blindly rummage through cupboards and drawers in search of a flashlight, Onew carefully laid Kai on the operating table in the center of the room.

"I can't find a flashlight." Dr. Han announced in calm worry. 

"No need." Onew replied, and the doctor saw his eyes flash a brilliant blue just before the lights in the room flickered on. "Thank you, Dr. Han. I'll take it from here."

Dr. Han blinked, and suddenly Onew's form was flashing all across the room. Cupboards and drawers opened and closed faster than she could comprehend, and with each flicker of movement more and more operating materials appeared around Jongin. Within ten seconds, Onew was completely set up for surgery; the overhead operation lights angled just right, all the necessary tools laid out, Jongin's bloodied shirt and jacket completely removed, the ex-suit hooked up to the anesthesia machine and medical monitors turned on. 

Now, instead of flickering across the room, Onew remained mostly stationary as he began the operation. His arms blurred as they moved back and forth between Jongin's body and the tool tray faster than the eye could see, and the sound of the tools clattering against each other filled the room. 

Within minutes Dr. Han watched the younger man's intestines and organs come back together, as if she was watching a time lapsed recording. There was a brief moment of concern when the heart monitor flat-lined, but one of Onew's arms flashed over Jongin's chest and the pulse returned. 

Suddenly, she heard the doors open behind her and when she turned around she found herself face-to-face with a suit. Before she could ask the man to leave there was a brief flash of Onew's pink hair and blue hospital gown, and the man fell to the floor unconscious. Dr. Han turned and saw Onew back at the operating table as if he never left. A shiver ran down her spine in slight fear of the man, even though she knew he would never hurt her. 

For five long minutes, Dr. Han watched the operation closely, trying to see the steps Onew was taking. However, his hands moved faster than her eyes could comprehend, and all she could see was torn flesh abruptly moving and gaining stitches. In all her years working in the lab she has seen some strange and miraculous things, including the day Onew arrived with his brother, but without a doubt this was the strangest yet most miraculous sight she has ever witnessed.

Then, without warning, Onew returned to normal speed and stumbled back to lean against the counter behind him. His chest heaved as he panted heavily, and sweat dripped down his face as if he had just ran a marathon. For all Dr. Han knew, he might have at the speed he was going. Dr. Han's gaze wandered back to Jongin, and to her amazement his wound was closed and his vitals were stablilized.

"Jinki..." She started, but fell silent for she was speechless. 

Onew looked up at the doctor and his lips quirked up into a small smile as he spoke between breaths, "I may have... gone to medical school... after I left. Looks like it... came in handy."

"I'd say." Dr. Han agreed, and she stepped over to look at Jongin's bloody clothes piled on top of the counter. When she held up the jacket, she noticed a sleeve was missing, "What happened?"

"Yesung," Onew answered, and ignored the elder's quiet gasp as he turned around to open a cupboard. Taking out a blanket, he continued, "He caught Jongin trying to set me free, so he tortured him. He cut his arm off, and turned his innards into stew."

Dr. Han looked back at Jongin while Onew laid the blanket over him, "His arms seem fine, though."

Please log in to read the full chapter