Close

In Search of Meaning
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was a bright sunny day as Hakyeon walked down the main street of Gangsan. Hyuk was watching the clinic for him while he was out on his day off, and he was enjoying it immensely. He was appreciating the cool breeze on his skin, and nodded his head as a friendly greeting to people passing him by on the sidewalk. The grin on his face never wavered as he made his way down the street to explore more of the town now that he had the time.

Turning the corner, he paused in front of a large window with small cages lined up along the inside. They were filled with kittens, birds, and puppies, and Hakyeon couldn't resist going into the pet store for a closer look at the adorable creatures.

There was a jingle of a bell as he opened the door, and his smile grew even larger when he stepped inside to hear the animals barking, chirping, and mewing. He walked along the cages, sticking his fingers between the bars to touch the soft fur of the kittens and puppies he could reach. One of the kittens he pet pawed at his finger playfully, and he chuckled as he played along by poking his finger into the cage at different heights to provide more of a challenge to the kitten.

However, the kitten quickly grew tired of the game, and curled up in the corner to take a well needed nap. Taking the hint, Hakyeon moved to the next cage and his smile was replaced by a curious pout when he saw grey fluffy pup within. He could tell right away that it was not an ordinary pup, but a wolf pup. Cautiously, he poked his finger through the bars like he did with the others, hoping the wolf pup would be just as friendly. Thankfully, the animal his finger happily, and wagged its tail at a ridiculously fast rate.

"Here you go, sir," a woman's voice said from next to him. He turned to find a young lady holding out to him a clipboard with forms that were already filled out, except for the blank line at the bottom. "Just sign there, and he's all yours."

"Oh no, I was just looking." Hakyeon replied with a wave of his hand. "Besides, I don't have any money on me at the moment."

The woman only smiled and said reassuringly, "Don't worry, sir. There's no adoption fee since you're the new vet in town. All you have to do is sign and you can take him home."

Hakyeon looked down at the wolf pup, and pondered over whether he should go through with it or not. Deciding that maybe it might be good to have company in his new house, he grabbed the pen in the woman's other hand and signed his name on the last line.

Suddenly, he was in the living room of his new home playing tug of war with the wolf pup, and he laughed when the canine shook his head violently to try to rip the toy from his grip. No matter how hard he tried, though, he was never able to beat Hakyeon at the game.

Next, Hakyeon was walking down the street again with the wolf pup walking by his side, now twice the size it used to be when he adopted him. Just as he was about to turn the same corner by the pet store, a pomeranian bolted from around the curb and charged down the sidewalk passing Hakyeon. Shortly afterwards, a panting Hyuk came sprinting by.

"Amber!" The young man yelled after the small dog. "Come back here!"

When Hyuk disappeared behind another corner to chase after the animal, Hakyeon looked down at the wolf pup with wide eyes.

"Omo!" Hakyeon exclaimed. "I haven't given you a name yet, have I?"

As if the wolf pup knew what he was saying, he shook his head no. The vet's gaze wandered up to the sky, and he rubbed his chin as names started running through his head. However, none of them seemed right until a cloud in the shape of a lion formed in clear blue sky. It kind of reminded him of...

"Leo?" Hakyeon wondered out loud, then looked back at his wolf pup. 

He was shocked to find that the wolf pup was replaced by a man with wolf ears and a tail. The man gazed at him with dark brown eyes that seemed to pierce his soul, and he felt himself growing weak under their intensity.

That's right, Hakyeon thought to himself, this is Leo.

The scene shifted again to the bedroom of his new house. Leo was sitting on the bed while Hakyeon was kneeling in front of him tying his shoes. The vet had to buy him a new pair since the old ones were worn out and full of holes.

Hakyeon sighed, looking at the mess of laces before him that refused to remain tied. Over and over, he tied the laces again and again. Everytime, they would loosen and come undone even though Leo wasn't moving.

"Aish, my knees hurt." Hakyeon complained, rubbing his sore legs that had been kneeling on the floor for who knows how long. He closed his eyes as he massaged the sore muscles, and he felt a gentle hand rest on the top of his head. It felt so warm, and with the warmth came a scent. It smelled like dog, but it also smelled like pine. This was Leo's scent, and Leo was close. So, so close. Close enough to feel his body heat radiating from his skin, and Hakyeon could drown himself in the smell and the warmth. If only his knees didn't hurt so much...

Groggily, Hakyeon blinked open one of his eyes. His vision was blurry, so he rubbed his eye with the heel of his hand. As he rubbed the sleep from his eye, he kept his cheek resting on the soft surface he found himself on. When he finished rubbing, he opened it back up again, and what he saw before him surprised him enough to open both eyes wide with shock.

Only a few inches away, half buried in the blankets of the bed he was kneeling by, was Leo's face.

Hakyeon gulped, and took a deep breath through his nose to try to calm his racing heart. He was surprised that he felt butterflies in his stomach from having Leo in such close proximity, but he was even more surprised when he realized that he didn't mind them all that much. What confused him, though, was how the warmth of Leo's hand, which was lying on his head, seemed to seep into his veins, and travel through the rest of his body like a drug. It even felt like it was dulling the ache in his knees from kneeling on the floor for god-knows-how-long.

Glancing up and down Leo's body as much as he could without moving, not wanting to disturb the sleeping wolf man, Hakyeon saw how Leo was curled up near the edge of the bed where the vet was resting his head on his arms. It was like Leo was trying to get as close to Hakyeon as possible without actually touching him too much.

Hakyeon flinched a little when Leo lifted his hand off his head, and wrapped his arm around the vet's shoulders to pull him closer. The wolf man pulled Hakyeon so close the tips of their noses briefly brushed against each other. Then, Leo's hand traveled from his shoulder to his head again, except this time he cupped it under Hakyeon jaw. With a gentle push, he moved Hakyeon's head until it was resting by his chest. In the process, Leo also tilted his chin down and caused his forehead to bump into Hakyeon's nose.

Leo's eyebrows furrowed at the small impact, and slowly his eyes fluttered open. When his eyes finally focused, they immediately came into contact with Hakyeon's dark orbs, and both of them stopped breathing as time seemed to freeze in that moment. The silence in the guest room might have seemed loud to an onlooker, but to Leo and Hakyeon nothing was louder than the blood pulsing in their ears as both their hearts beat wildly in their chests.

Hakyeon was barely audible when he finally broke the silence by whispering, "Hi." 

"Hi." Leo responded just as quietly, neither one of them breaking eye contact nor moving from their current position. For a few heartbeats the vet and the wolf man stared at each other, unsure of what they should do.

Why can't I move? Hakyeon wondered to himself. Maybe... Is it that I don't want to move?

At the same time, Leo was thinking, He smells so sweet, almost as sweet as sugar. Why does he have such a nice scent, unlike anyone else?

The throbbing ache in his knees brought Hakyeon back to reality, and he cleared his throat as he lifted his head, breaking eye contact with Leo. He moved his legs so they were crossed instead of folded beneath him, relieving the pressure on his knees. Even though he was nervous about being so close to Leo, it somehow didn't feel right to move away from him. So, Hakyeon remained sitting at the bedside, keeping his arms resting on the mattress.

"How are you feeling?" Hakyeon asked, lowering his gaze to his hands, which were fiddling with the blanket out of nervousness. 

Slowly, Leo pushed himself up into a sitting position on the bed, wincing a bit at the pain in his right shoulder. 

"Better," the wolf man answered, rubbing his sore shoulder.

"Let me see," Hakyeon said, pushing himself up off the floor to sit on the edge of the bed next to Leo. Without thinking much of it, the vet placed his hand over Leo's forehead to check his temperature. As he did this, he absent-mindedly leaned forward, causing his own scent to waft over Leo's face and body.

Just like in the cab, the scent seemed to be overwhelming all of Leo's senses. The tingling sensation was back in his fingertips, itching to touch Hakyeon's soft, tanned skin. Worse than the tingling, it felt like hot needles were prickling his skin where the man's hand was touching his forehead. His breath quickened slightly, but not enough to draw the vet's attention. Although his heart rate had just come down, it was skyrocketing once again, pumping heat into his veins.

"Hm, you still feel a little warm." Hakyeon said, pulling his hand back.

Yes, I do feel warm, but not for the reason you're thinking! Leo shouted in his head, trying to keep his composure in front of the vet by gripping onto the blanket tight.

"I'm going to check your bandage," said Hakyeon, who leaned over Leo

Please log in to read the full chapter