I'd Never Leave You

In Search of Meaning
Please log in to read the full chapter

Two figures dressed head to toe in black raced down the dark narrow hallway, the only light being the neon blue bulbs lining the floor. Both men kept their guns pointed in front of them as they approached the corner up ahead. 

Once they reached it they pressed their bodies against the wall, waiting for any sign of their enemy. When they heard none, the figure with platinum blonde hair poking out of his black beanie turned to the other man standing at his left.

"Nam, are you sure you saw him coming this way?" He whispered.

Woohyun nodded, "I'm positive."

Jonghyun turned back to the edge of the corner, and slowly leaned forward to peek around it. At first, he couldn't tell if there was anyone at the end of the dark hall, but then he saw the shadows shift slightly. He instantly pressed himself back against the wall, letting out a long calming exhale.

"He's right around the corner." Jonghyun hissed urgently to Woohyun. "Should we go for it?"

The brunette looked at him hesitantly, "I don't know. Maybe we should go back to the stairs, and wait for him to come to us."

"There's two of us, and one of him." Jonghyun replied, raising his gun up to ready himself. "He can't shoot both of us at once."

"You're okay with one of us getting shot?" Woohyun asked in disbelief.

"If it means we can get him, yes!" The other shout-whispered.

Suddenly, they heard the sound of feet running down the hall coming towards them, and the figure Jonghyun glimpsed earlier appeared from around the corner. The man raised his gun, and pulled the trigger before either one of them could aim their own weapons.

Pew-pew-pew! Pew-pew!

Both Jonghyun's and Woohyun's vests lit up in flashing colors, and they both groaned in defeat.

"Damn it, Key!" Jonghyun exclaimed, yanking the hat off his head in frustration. 

"If I'd known you would be this good at laser tag, I wouldn't have introduced it to you in the first place." Woohyun said to the blonde, who was grinning ear to ear in victory. He was also wearing a black hat in order to hide his cheetah ears.

"Can we play another round?" Key asked hopefully.

"NO!" Woohyun and Jonghyun both replied in unison with wide eyes.

Key chuckled at their reaction, and walked past them toward the stairs at the end of the hall. The cheetahman kept smiling to himself as he remembered the first time he came here with his friends. After helping them with Hongbin, Jonghyun and Woohyun decided to let Key stay with them at their apartment. Barely 24 hours into his stay, he became bored out of his mind after cleaning the entire apartment himself.

He just could not stand the messy state it was in; empty ramen cups littered almost every surface along with collections of pop cans, stacks of dirty plates, and smelly clothes scattered all over the floor. This was just the living room, and he thought that maybe he could put up with it since they were helping him so much. However, when he saw the health hazard that was the bathroom the morning after his first night at the place he exploded into a typhoon of rags, sponges, spray cleaners, air fresheners, and detergents. Within half an hour, the place was spick-and-span, and judging by the astonished looks he saw on Woohyun's and Jonghyun's faces he knew they had never seen their apartment so clean before.

The blonde hustled down the stair case to the ground level. When he reached the bottom he turned around to look up at his two friends, who were slowly making their way down and sulking with their heads hung low.

"Yah, hurry up!" Key barked at them, and all he received for replies were dismissal waves of their hands. He huffed, and turned to open the door that led into the lobby. Once he swung it open, bright light illuminated the bottom of the staircase, causing Jonghyun and Woohyun to groan and shield their eyes from the oppressive rays. Key smirked at them, even though he himself was squinting his eyes.

Together, they all walked into the lobby towards the front desk in order to return the borrowed gear. The employee behind the desk, a middle aged man with an unimpressed snobbish face, stared tiredly at the trio as they stripped off their vests and placed the laser guns on the desktop. Normally, the man would ask customers at this time if they had a fun run. However, since the three of them have been coming to the place regularly for the past week he no longer bothered to ask them that question.

The man gathered the three vests and guns into his arms and placed them into the bin behind his desk. He then looked to his computer, pressed a few buttons, and the small printer sitting next to the monitor fed out a single sheet of paper. Once it was done printing, he plucked it from the device and held it out nonchalantly towards the group, not even bothering to hold it out for a specific person. 

Key snatched the parchment out of his hand, ignoring the blatant rudeness, and he immediately went to skimming over the numbers on the page. As he read further and further down, his grin grew wider. Jonghyun and Woohyun creeped over his shoulders to get a peek at the scores, although they already knew what they were going to be like.

Jonghyun sighed, "Thirteen rounds, and you won every single one."

"You're a beast," Woohyun added, shaking his head in both disapproval and disbelief. "I miss the days when we kicked your but."

"That's because I had no idea what I was doing," Key said, glancing at the brunette. "Good thing I'm a fast learner, huh?"

"Or," Jonghyun chimed in, resting his arm over Key's shoulders. "You just have a really good teacher."

Key turned to argue with the other, but his mouth snapped shut when he saw Jonghyun's face mere inches from his own. The blonde gulped as he found himself getting lost in those chocolate puppy-dog eyes, but was quickly pulled back to reality when the moment was interrupted by a cocky brunette.

"And that teacher would be me," Woohyun cut in with a smirk, laying his arm on top of Jonghyun's. "Let's face it, Jong. You're not as good a player as me."

Jonghyun's brown orbs broke contact from Key's in order to glare at his friend, and reply, "Yah! I'm the one that spent the most time explaining the game to him, not you. That makes me his mentor."

"But I'm the one that gave him special tips on how to sneak up on his opponent, and where all the best hiding places are." Woohyun shot back.

"That doesn't make you his teacher," Jonghyun argued, unknowingly tightening his hold on Key's shoulders. "You're more like a guidance counselor."

Woohyun also tightened his hold, "Guidance counselors can teach too!"

"Doesn't matter," Jonghyun shoved Woohyun's arm off of Key in order to wrap both of his own around the blonde, subtly moving him away from Woohyun. "Key's still my student!"

Key felt his face flush in embarrassment over his friends' childish behavior, refusing to admit that it was Jonghyun's embrace causing his cheeks to heat up.

The brunette gaped at the platinum-haired man before clinging onto and tugging Key's arm, saying, "No, he's mine!"

Jonghyun pulled Key closer against his chest, and the cheetahman tensed when his nose was filled with Jonghyun's scent; a mix of cologne, sweat, and mint from the gum he was chewing. Even though Key has become very familiar with this scent, he couldn't help but feel butterflies in his stomach every time he inhaled it. But smelling it right now while also being pulled tight against his firm chest by his strong arms, the fluttering of the butterflies exploded into a swarm of ants that seemed to carry fire into every inch of his being.

What the heck is this feeling?! Key asked himself in a panic, having never felt this way before. I don't understand. Why do I feel so hot?! I don't like this......do I? I mean, I guess it doesn't feel....bad. Right? Key felt his muscles begin to relax, and the heat that seemed to burn in his veins cooled down into a warm fuzzy feeling. No......not bad at all. Woohyun tugged on his arm again, and he was snapped out of his thoughts.

"Y-Yah!" Key shouted, using all his strength to shove both Woohyun and Jonghyun off of him. "Both of you taught me how to play! Now, stop it with this silly argument, and stop harassing me!"

The two men lowered their gazes to the floor in shame, both of them mumbling quiet apologies. When Key saw how Jonghyun was drawing circles on the floor with the toe of his shoe and pouting like a kicked puppy, he actually felt a little guilty.

Key's expression softened, and he opened his mouth to comfort his friends. However, his kind words were replaced by a yelp of surprise mixed with pain when he felt something tug harshly on his tail. The blonde twisted to hide the appendage that must have slipped out when he pushed his friends away, and he was met with the employee's agape expression when he turned around.

"Y-you have a....i-is that...?" The employee sputtered, trying to put his thoughts together about what he had just witnessed. While he was watching the three young men argue, he noticed the odd appendage appear from underneath one of their sweatshirts. When he realized it was a tail- one that looked too real to be fake- curiosity got the best of him, and he moved around the front desk in order to investigate. All three of them were too distracted to notice his approach, so it was easy for him to sneak up from behind and give it an experimental tug. Judging from the reaction the young man had, he came to the conclusion that the tail was indeed real.

Key's hands scrambled behind his back to tuck his tail underneath his sweatshirt again, but he was struggling to keep the hem of the shirt open enough to do so. He was grateful when Woohyun stepped behind him, and helped him by pulling the fabric back enough for Key to slip his tail underneath.

While the two of them struggled with his tail, Jonghyun stepped forward to place himself between the employee and Key. His mind raced to find any sort of excuse to diffuse the situation, but he couldn't come up with a single bevievable excuse. 

"What the hell are you?!" the employee shouted, pointing an accusing finger at the blonde. "Y-you freak! Monster!" Key's eyes widened in shock and hurt at the man's words, and Woohyun glared angrily by his side.

When they thought the situation could not get any worse, the entrance doors opened and another group of half a dozen laser tag players waltzed in. The group consisted of teenagers coming from school, and they must have heard the shouting from outside because their eyes were instantly locked on them. Key and Woohyun looked in horror at their new audience.

Panic exploded within Jonghyun, and he turned to the employee again to try to calm the man down. However, he saw the fear and anger that twisted the man's red, sweaty face into a grimace, and he knew there was nothing he could say that would put him at ease. The employee's lips parted to begin another bout of insults and threats, and Jonghyun spat out the first word that came to mind in order to stop him.

"ert!"

Everyone in the room froze and stared open mouthed at the platinum haired man in shocked silence. Jonghyun himself was surprised by his own outburst, until he realized he could use this to his advantage. So, he decided to take it up a knotch before the employee could get a word of denial out.

"ert! Molester!" Jonghyun mustered up all the seething rage within him as he continued, using his arm to bring Key closer to his back in a protective manner. "How dare you grab my friend, you bastard!"

"W-what?" the employee stuttered in confusion, and shook his head when he saw the disgusted faces of the bystanders. "I didn't-"

"Yes, you did!" Woohyun joined in on Jonghyun's charade. "We saw you groping him, you pig! We should call the cops on you!"

"W-wait! I didn't him!" The man pleaded to the group of teenagers. "He's a freak with some kind of cat tail! I saw it!"

"Oh, so you're a ert?!" Jonghyun feigned a threatening step forward, as if he was ready to punch the man any second- which he kind of was. In fact, he was hoping the employee would give him even the smallest reason to punch him for insulting, and even worse touching Key.

"But it's true!" The employee desperately tried to convince the group of bystanders, but upon seeing their distrusting scowls he knew there was nothing he could say to change their minds. So, the frantic man turned back towards the light-haired men, his eyes locked on Key as he stepped forward, saying, "Let me show you!"

However, before he could take more than two steps Jonghyun struck a quick right jab to his nose, causing him to yelp in pain. The employee stumbled back and placed a hand over his nose when he felt warm streams of blood flow from his nostrils.

"Stay away from us, you sicko!" Jonghyun barked angrily, and his shout was joined by many others as the teenagers also started berating the man. The crowd quickly shuffled their way to stand between the trio and the dumbfounded employee, giving them the perfect opportunity to slip away unnoticed.

Jonghyun turned around and gently pushed his friends toward the exit, "Let's go before someone calls the police."

The two nodded in understanding, and together they bolted out the front doors and raced down the sidewalk to Jonghyun's truck. Key hopped into the back while Woohyun sat in the front passenger seat. Jonghyun jumped into the driver's seat, and as he turned the key in the ignition he felt his phone vibrate in his back pocket. With frustrated sigh, he unbuckled his seat belt and tugged the device free from his black jeans. His annoyance vanished when he saw the caller's ID, and he immediately tapped the answer button.

"Hey," Jonghyun answered. "What's up?"

"The suits found us." Wonsik replied on the other end of the line. 

"What?!" Jonghyun exclaimed, startling Woohyun and Key. "How? Are you guys okay?"

Wonsik groaned, "We were able to knock them out for a bit, so we're okay for now. But we need to get out of here fast, and all six of us can't fit into a cab."

"Where are you? At the apartment?" Jonghyun fumbled with his seat belt as he struggled to buckle back in with his free hand.

"Yeah." The musician grunted as if he was in pain. "When do you think you can get here?"

Jonghyun glanced at the digital clock of his truck's stereo, and replied, "We can be there in about ten minutes. Are you sure you're okay? You don't sound very good."

Wonsik let out an airy and tired chuckle, "I'm fine, but one of the suits landed a few good punches, though."

In the background, Jonghyun heard a voice say, "A few good punches? Hyung, he was wailing on you like a piñata."

"Shut up, Hyuk!" Wonsik hissed in response to the unwelcome comment, then brought his attention back to Jonghyun. "We're taking the fire escape down to the back parking lot. We'll meet up there."

"K, we'll be there in a few." Jonghyun said before ending the call.

"What's going on?" Woohyun asked worriedly.

Jonghyun put the truck into drive, and quickly pulled out onto the road. Within seconds, the Toyota was racing through the streets of Seoul slightly above the speed limit.

"The suits found the others at Wonsik's apartment," the mechanic answered, keeping his eyes locked on the road in front of him.

"What?" Key whispered in disbelief.

The platinum-haired man looked into the rearview mirror, and when he met Key's wide fearful eyes he spoke reassuringly, "Don't worry. They knocked them out, but we need to get them out of there before more of them show up."

Woohyun twisted in his seat and leaned over the headrest trying to see the floor of the back. "Hey, Key, can you hand me my shotgun?"

Key nodded numbly, and reached down to retrieve the weapon that was hidden underneath his seat. He carefully handed the black shotgun over to Woohyun, who immediately checked to see how many bullets were left.

"Damn it." Woohyun shook his head, resting the gun in his lap. "Only one shot left. We better get there before the suits show up."

"Um, guys," Key said suddenly with a voice heavy with anxiety, causing Woohyun to look questioningly at the cheetahman.

"What is it?" Jonghyun asked, focusing on the road.

Key pointed at something through the back window, and Woohyun leaned over his seat again to get a better view. His eyes scanned the cars behind them, and he easily spotted the two black SUV's only a hundred feet behind them.

"! Jjong, they're practically right behind us." Woohyun informed. 

Jonghyun only needed one glance into his sideview mirrors before he pressed his foot down hard on the accelerator, propelling them well over the speed limit. He was relieved to see that the black vehicles maintained their speed, showing that they had no interest in his truck. 

They must be going to Wonsik's, Jonghyun concluded, and changed lanes to pass the slower car in front of him. He continued to zig-zag back and forth through traffic, gaining more distance ahead of the suits. Please, he prayed, let me make it in time.

 

~  ~  ~

 

"Jonghyun is on his way. He'll be here in about ten minutes," Wonsik shouted out to the others as he hung up his phone, and set it down on the coffee table in his living room. He was sitting on the couch, while Jaehwan sat next to him treating the wounds on his face. When he leaned back to sit more comfortably, Jaehwan gave him a light hit to his shoulder in disapproval.

"Stop moving! I can't treat you properly if you can't hold still." Jaehwan scolded the musician, a One Piece band aid stuck to the tip of his finger. 

Wonsik chuckled, "Sorry, sorry. I'll hold still now, I promise."

True to his word, he stopped moving in order to let his boyfriend bandage him up. But when Jaehwan leaned close to place the band aid over the cut on his eyebrow, he turned his head and gave Jaehwan a quick peck on the lips. The winged man blinked in surprise, and the band aid slipped from his fingers to fall in between the cushions of the couch.

"Wonsik-ah~" Jaehwan whined in frustration, smacking the brunette once again. 

"Ha ha ha!" Wonsik laughed at his boyfriend's adorable reaction, earning him another bout of half-hearted punches. "Okay, okay!" The musician raised his hands in surrender, "I'll stop!"

"You two, stop messing around. The suits could be here any second." Hakyeon said as he walked into the living room from the hall with a roll of duct tape in his hand. While Jaehwan was treating Wonsik's injuries, the vet was busy tying up the unconscious suits with duct tape and stuffing them into the coat closet near the front door.

From the bathroom, they heard the hissing of running water and the sound of someone spitting into the sink. For the entire five minutes since everyone gathered in the apartment after the attack, Leo was rinsing blood and flesh from his mouth. Meanwhile, Hongbin and Hyuk were resting in the bedroom to regain a little bit of strength after being electrocuted.

"Wonsik, when he's done treating you help him wrap his wings so they're easier to hide," Hakyeon instructed before walking into the bedroom to check on the two younger men.

Wonsik complied with Hakyeon's orders, and allowed Jaehwan to quickly finish bandaging his face and bloody knuckles. During the rest of the treatment, the two of them remained silent as they became solemnly aware of the situation they were in. Once Jaehwan placed the last band-aid on Wonsik's cheek, the musician took the first aid kit from his boyfriend's lap and took out a large roll of gauze.

"Do you need help taking off your shirt?" Wonsik asked. 

Jaehwan nodded, and turned around so Wonsik could help him carefully slip his wings out of the holes in the back of the shirt. Even though the holes were large enough to fit the appendages through, the fabric still had to stretch quite a bit in order to accomplish it. Wonsik roughly figured that the material will only last a month or two before it became too worn out to wear. From this, he assumed that his boyfriend is going to need new clothes very often in the future. He also knows that Jaehwan is going to enjoy the extra shopping, and Wonsik can already feel his wallet getting lighter.

When he finally removed the shirt, Wonsik got to work on wrapping the gauze around Jaehwan's wings and chest. Unlike how they were wrapped before, Wonsik wasn't covering every inch of the feathery appendages. Instead, he focused on pinning the joints and the tips to Jaehwan's back. Even though he had to use the entire roll, which was about four yards of gauze, he was able to wrap them tight enough to hide under a thick coat and pass him off as a person with hunchback syndrome.

"All done," Wonsik said in mild triumph as he taped the gauze in place. "How does it feel? Too tight? Too loose?" he asked in concern. Jaehwan turned around, and shrugged his shoulders a little to test the strength of the wrapping. 

"It feels good," Jaehwan answered. "I don't th

Please log in to read the full chapter