Welcome Back

In Search of Meaning
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hakyeon heard the loud screeching of the fire alarm through the phone, and he looked out the taxi window to people already evacuating the apartment building. 

"Hyung," Wonsik spoke, panic beginning to lace his voice. "What should we do?"

The vet bit his bottom lip, his mind running a mile a minute trying to decide which action is best to take in this situation. He glanced at the building again, and he seemed to have made up his mind when he saw that larger groups of people were flowing out from the doors.

"Stay in the apartment," Hakyeon commanded, unbuckling his seatbelt. "I'm coming up."

Without waiting for the musician's response, Hakyeon hung up his phone. He turned to Leo when he heard the wolf man unbuckling as well.

"Leo," Hakyeon said as firmly as he could, although his voice shook a little from anxiety. "I need you to stay hidden here, while I go get them. If the suits are in the building, there's still a chance that they haven't found Wonsik and the others. Also, I don't want to risk them catching you on my way up. Do you understand?"

Leo exhaled tensely through his nose, and glanced at the mass of people gathering outside the building before giving Hakyeon a curt nod.

"Um..." The taxi driver-Changsub if Hakyeon remembered right- made eye contact with Hakyeon through the rearview mirror, and asked, "Do you want me to stay here, then?"

Hakyeon gave Changsub an almost apologetic look as he answered, "Yes. I'm sorry, but I'll try to come back out as soon as possible."

"Oh, it's no problem," Changsub said with a shake of his head. "I just wanted to make sure that's what you wanted me to do."

"Thanks," Hakyeon bowed his head slightly in gratitude before flinging his door open and stepping out of the cab.

"Wait! Are you sure you should-" Changsub was cut off when Hakyeon slammed the door shut, and took off to the building. "Go in there...?" Changsub finished his question futilely, and turned around to face Leo. 

Leo shifted awkwardly in the back seat, feeling uncomfortable with being left in a cab alone with a stranger.

"So..." Changsub began, wanting to fill the awkward silence. "Have you ever heard of the Born to Beat Bars?"

 

~  ~  ~

 

Wonsik stuffed his cell phone into his back pocket after Hakyeon hung up on him. He walked back towards Hyuk and Hongbin, who were both waiting nervously at the bedroom door.

"Hyung, what's going on?" Hyuk asked, leaning into Hongbin's side when the cyborg placed a comforting arm over his shoulders.

The musician sighed out of stress, and scratched the back of his head as he replied, "The suits are here. They're probably in the building."

Hongbin's eyes widened and he pulled Hyuk tighter against him.

"Hakyeon-hyung is on his way up," Wonsik continued to explain. "He wants us to stay here until he arrives, but I don't feel so good about that."

"Then, what should we do?" Hyuk questioned, growing more scared with each passing second.

Wonsik turned to look back at the front door, then glanced into the bedroom to see Jaehwan's sleeping figure on the bed. He then looked at the window leading to the fire escape, and he decided.

"Okay," Wonsik ran his hands over his face out of anxiety. "Hongbin, I want you to carry Jaehwan and wait with Hyuk by the fire escape. I'll wait at the front door for Hakyeon. If something goes wrong, like if the suits find us, I want you three to just get out of here."

"What about you?" Hyuk asked in concern.

"I'll hold them back for as long as I can." Wonsik replied, although he didn't feel very confident about his ability to do so. When he saw the doubting looks from the other two, he added, "And don't pull any hero crap. If you two are really my friends, then you'll do your best to get Jaehwan out of here safely. Got it?"

Even though they were reluctant, Hyuk and Hongbin nodded in understanding. Without another word, Wonsik turned around and walked back to the front entrance while Hongbin left Hyuk's side to get Jaehwan. 

The cyborg paused at the edge of the bed, looking the winged man over.

How am I supposed to carry him without revealing his wings to the public? He asked himself. When Jaehwan stirred and clutched the thick blanket closer, an idea popped up.

Quickly, Hongbin lifted the covers slightly to check and make sure that Jaehwan's wings were folded comfortably against his back. Then, he moved Jaehwan's legs so they were hanging over the side of the bed.

"Hyuk, come help me with this," Hongbin called out, and within seconds the younger was at his side.

"What do you need me to do?" Hyuk asked, watching as Hongbin lifted Jaehwan up so he was sitting. He was surprised the winged man hadn't woken up, but, then again, he must have been completely drained after his episode that day.

Holding Jaehwan up by keeping his hands on his shoulders, Hongbin replied, "I'm going to piggyback Jaehwan out, so I want you to hold him like this while I get in position to carry him."

Hyuk nodded, and placed his hands where Hongbin's were when the cyborg let go. Hongbin turned around, and knelt down on the floor. He scooched back so that each of Jaehwan's legs were at his sides, and Hyuk gently rested Jaehwan against Hongbin's back. 

"Put the blanket over him, and make sure his wings are still folded," Hongbin said as he wrapped Jaehwan's limp arms around his neck.

Following his order, Hyuk adjusted Jaehwan's wings a little when he noticed them falling open slightly. Then, he tugged the blanket up off the mattress, and rested the thick material over Jaehwan. When Hongbin felt the corners of the blanket brush against his arms, he reached up and pulled them forward to tie them loosely together. This way, when he lifted Jaehwan up, the blanket won't fall off right away. Also, the blanket acted as a sling to keep Jaehwan's wings closed and to keep them hidden from public eyes. 

When he felt the blanket was secure, Hongbin stood up with Jaehwan snug against his back. He leaned forward slightly to prevent the unconscious man from slipping off, and he bounced slightly to adjust his grip on Jaehwan's legs. 

"Good?" Hyuk asked, checking to see if there was any discomfort from either one of them.

Hongbin met the younger's eyes, and with a nod he walked out of the bedroom to the living room. Hyuk followed closely behind him, keeping an eye on Jaehwan just in case he started slipping from the cyborg's grasp.

Wonsik looked back over his shoulder, and felt relieved when he saw Hongbin carrying his boyfriend to the fire escape window like he had asked him to.

Knock!  Knock!  Knock!

He whipped his head back to the door at the sudden sound, and he cautiously leaned forward to peek through the peep hole, hoping it was Hakyeon on the other side. It wasn't.

Through the peep hole, he saw a broad shouldered man wearing a black baseball cap and brown leather jacket. The man wore a concerned expression, and when Wonsik didn't respond, he knocked again.

"Hello?!" The man shouted. "Is there anyone in there?! If there is, we need to evacuate the building! Everyone else is already evacuated from this floor!"

Assuming he was one of the apartment building's tenants, Wonsik unlocked the door and cracked it open just enough to poke his head through.

"We're just gathering some things together," Wonsik looked the man in the eye as he lied smoothly. "You go on ahead, and we'll be out shortly."

The musician tried to close the door, but a brown boot wedged itself into the opening. Wonsik gave the man a questioning look, feeling uneasy when his gaze met the man's determined eyes.

"I don't think you should delay anymore." The man said. Wonsik wasn't sure if it was just his imagination, but his tone seemed darker, almost sinister. "We should all leave together. Now."

 

~  ~  ~

 

Hakyeon felt sweat drip down his forehead as he elbowed his way through the mass of people toward the stairwell. He chose not to take the elevators, knowing that they were busy and full of tenants evacuating the building. The stairs were the faster option.

Taking three steps at a time, Hakyeon climbed the flights of stairs faster than he ever thought possible for himself. On the way up, he encountered a few other residents heading down, but other than that there was nothing blocking his way. However, when he rounded the corner to ascend to the third floor, he stopped and immediately flung himself back around the corner. 

Panting from exertion, he cautiously peeked out to look up at the suit that just came out from the third floor's door. The man spoke into the back of his wrist, and Hakyeon was unable to catch the words he was saying. Then, the suit carried on to march up the next flight of stairs.

Once the man was out of sight, Hakyeon raced up to the door that opened into the third floor hallway. Through the door's small rectangular window, Hakyeon saw that at the end of the hallway another suit entered through a door leading into the starwell on the opposite side of the building. Without wasting another second, Hakyeon turned to follow the first suit up the stairs.

 

~  ~  ~

 

Wonsik's heart rate sky-rocketed as he and the man in the leather jacket stared each other down. With each passing second, the softness in the man's features was slowly replaced by hard malice. Wonsik tightened his grip on the door knob, preparing to fight the stranger off. The silence between the two seemed to grow louder and more tense, until it reached its breaking point.

The musician grunted as he slammed into his front door with all his muscle and body weight, and the man mirrored his actions on the opposite side.

"Go!" Wonsik shouted to his friends, hoping they could get out before the man overpowered him.

For a few moments, they pushed at each other with equal strength, neither one of them giving in to the other. It was when a suit suddenly appeared behind the stranger and added his support that Wonsik's bare feet started slipping on the hardwood floor. Inch by inch, his front door was being forced open, and he knew it was a losing battle.

With one final push from the suits, Wonsik was falling back and the door flung wide open. Luckily, Wonsik was able to catch himself, so instead of falling flat on the floor he turned and took off toward his living room. He heard the stomping of boots following behind him, and just as he reached his living room he felt a heavy body collide with his back.

The two men tumbled down to the floor, and Wonsik twisted in order to push off the leather-jacket man. However, the man- which he now knew was a suit- caught his arms, and gathered his wrists into one hand, leaving the other free. He struggled with all his might to free his arms, but the man had a vice-like grip, almost inhuman.

Unable to defend himself, Wonsik couldn't stop the torrent of punches that pummeled into him. His head turned violently to the side with every powerful strike, and just the second punch had him seeing stars. After the third, the taste of iron flooded his mouth, and he felt his own blood drip down his face from cuts on his eyebrow and lips. 

At one point, he managed to sneak a glance at his front door, looking for the other suit. With mild relief, he saw that the other suit was also on the floor at the end of the hallway, with an angry Hakyeon wailing on him.

Then, with one final hit from the leather-jacket man, Wonsik's consciousness faded to black.

 

~  ~  ~

 

Hakyeon had followed the suit to the fourth floor- Wonsik's floor- and when he glanced through the small window like he did on the floor below, his stomach dropped with dread. At Wonsik's door, the suit and a man wearing a leather jacket were trying to force their way into the apartment. Judging by how much trouble they were having just to get in, he knew that the others were desperately fighting back.

The vet threw the door aside, and sprinted down the hall to help his friends. Halfway to the apartment, he saw the two men fall through the doorway, and he urged his legs to move faster. 

When he finally arrived, Hayeon charged through the doorway and tackled the suit to the ground. He was vaguely aware of the leather-jacket suit taking Wonsik down, but he kept his focus on plowing his fists into the man lying beneath him. For a while, Hakyeon was able to get multiple good hits in.

However, the suit twisted and man

Please log in to read the full chapter