Finding the Middle Ground

Crescents
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kibum was standing in front of a vending machine getting something to drink when he saw the two approaching. Both looking distressed. “You arrived.” He greeted once the came closer.

“Dalbi?” / “Where’s Dalbi?” The guys said at the same time, earning a soft chuckle from Kibum.

“She just entered the room. They’ll ask someone to go in once they’ve set up everything.” He answered, bending down to get the soda he just purchased. He offered it to the guys,  “Chill, guys.”

“Did the doctor say anything about her sickness already?” Jinki worriedly asked, to which Kibum threw a confused look at Jonghyun. The latter shook his head, indicating that he had not told anything to Jinki yet.

“Uhm… We will be advised in a bit.” The youngest of the three hesitantly answered.

Jinki sighed and looked around trying to figure out which department they just went to. Just then, the nurse from one of the rooms came out holding a medical chart. “Kim Dalbi’s guardian?”#

“Here-“ Jonghyun was about to walk over when Kibum held his shoulder to stop him. Jonghyun frowned.

“Let him.” He whispered. “Lee Jinki-ssi.”

“Oh?”

“You go.” Kibum told him and lip-pointed the nurse’s direction. Jinki was confused.

“Go ahead, Lee Jinki-ssi.” Jonghyun gave in, giving his permission despite feeling against it. He just couldn’t accept the fact that someone else was going to be his sister’s guardian now. But Kibum had the point, though. After all, the father should be the one supporting to pregnant patient inside, and it was Lee Jinki.

Jinki went ahead but was frozen for a moment when he saw the sign in front of the door which was a couple of meters away from where they stood just a while ago. The door he was about to enter to said “Ultrasound”.

Inside the room, Dalbi was nervous as she lied on the bed. The doctor, together with her assistant, was preparing their tools. “Just relax, mommy.” She told her dearly as she wore her gloves. “I’m surprised you were not aware of it until the blood tests came out.” She spoke to calm Dalbi down. “It seems like it came out unexpectedly.”

“Y-yes…” She answered. The assisting nurse was now covering her with a blanket, adjusting her position as well for her to be more comfortable during the ultrasound.

“The best blessing often arrives at the unexpected time.” She mentioned with a gentle smile, now sitting beside her, she started putting the tool above her lower abdomen. “It’s a bit ticklish, please stay still, mommy.”

The term “mommy” was a common yet unfamiliar sound to Dalbi’s ear. It gave her butterflies in her stomach. Oddly, it was very pleasing.

“A-annyonghasaeyo…”

That voice sounded very familiar on Dalbi’s ears that it almost shocked her. Was she dreaming? Maybe. She was so overwhelmed by the news that she thought she started hearing voices now. She closed her eyes.  

“Kim Dalbi’s guardian? Please come in.”

“Oppa, I thought you won’t come in since you’re not the fathe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter