Out for Dinner

Crescents
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7 pm. Her first night in the Lee mansion. Dalbi was once again engrossed with her own thoughts when she heard a knock on the door. “Yes?”

“Miss, dinner is ready.”, said one of the mansion’s servants.

She was so disappointed as she went to see the dining table. The huge table had several dishes prepared, but there was just one set of empty plate and utensils for her. “How about Lee… I mean, the young master? Won’t he eat, too?”

The servant shook his head, “His dinner was served to him in his office.”

“Chief Choi?”

“He will eat when you’re done.”

She frowned. It was nonsense. “You mean, I’m going to eat alone?” The servant nodded, which gained a long sigh from Dalbi. “Can’t I eat together with someone, at least? This table is so huge. It would feel so lonely to eat alone.”

The servant almost smiled with her comment, but he maintained a straight face. “Please have a seat, miss.” He told her and motioned at the farthest left of the table.

However, she noticed how two other servants were standing silently on either side, like they were guarding her. She frowned even more. Another two guys walked in, both of them wearing a chef uniform.

“I am so thrilled to have a girl in this mansion.” The chef who was probably in his 40’s spoke as he placed the last dish on the table. “Now I have someone with keen taste buds say something about the foods I make. Well, basically, the guys here just eat whatever that are served to them. It doesn’t matter whether it’s really good or it’s just good, as long as the foods served are edible.” He seemed very excited as he had this wide smile on his face, very much different than the servants who won’t even talk. The chef clasped his hands together as he looked at the entire table. “All done!” He shouted in his high pitched voice.

Dalbi smiled awkwardly.

“Oh, please, miss, take your seat and have a taste!” He was so comfortable to move around that he held her arm carefully to lead her. “I heard your name is Dalbi?”

“Ah, yeah.”

“I’m Chef Shin. I’ve been serving the Lee’s ever since I was a teen. My father used to be the head chef of the family.”

Just like Choi Minho. She realized the people who work for the Lee’s are passed on from generation to generation. Chief Choi and Chef Shin’s parents used to work for them first. She suddenly thought the Lee’s were probably really good people, for they were able to maintain their servants’ loyalty, even having their kids work solely for them.  

“Ah… Am I really going to eat alone? There are so many dishes, the table is obviously too huge for a single diner.” She looked at the Chef. “How about you? When do you eat?”

“We’ll eat after you, together with Chief Choi.”

Dalbi shook her head and stood up, “That’s not fair. We are all going to eat together!” suddenly, she left her seat and ran to the kitchen.

“Miss Dalbi, wait!” Chef Shin followed her, confused of what she was going to do in there. The servant who was talking to her a while ago followed her as well.

Dalbi let herself barged into someone else’s kitchen as she started opening cupboards and compartments “Where are the plates?”

“Ah… ther

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter