Chapter 32

Take My Hand

Bin didn't like seeing Taek-woon sad. He knew Taek-woon missed Hak-yeon a lot, he was always glancing at the door and looking out the window. Hak-yeon had asked Bin to take care of Taek-woon, to keep him happy until he came back. Bin had promised, had promised Hak-yeon he would, but it was very hard. No matter how much he pulled on Taek-woon's arm to go do something, Taek-woon would just shake his head with a small smile, patting his head and telling him they'll do it later. Instead, Taek-woon took extra, super good care of Bin, and even though Bin promised Hak-yeon he would take care of him, he felt so happy and didn't try to stop him.  

Taek-woon would feed him so much food, and now that Hak-yeon wasn't here, would take the time to feed him. Bin was so sad at first when he sat at the table and Hak-yeon wasn't with him, missed Hak-yeon's kisses and hugs. He missed Hak-yeon so, so much. He hated that Hak-yeon had gone back to Saet-byul, was so scared that she would keep him and he would never come back. But Taek-woon wouldn't let him think about it long, sat next to him in Hak-yeon's spot and helped him eat dinner. There was a lot of food; Bin wasn't used to eating so much and his stomach didn't feel good later, but he liked the feeling of Taek-woon's hand on his back and the smile he gave him.  

He liked it a lot.  

He couldn't hide how excited Bin was when Taek-woon said it was time for his bath, bouncing on the balls of his feet as he watched the tub fill with water. He climbed into the water, noticing the amused smile on Taek-woon's face when he tugged on the sleeve of Bin's shirt. "You'll be comfortable to take your shirt off in front of me one day, won't you Hong-bin?" he asked, and Bin immediately scooted away, the happy feeling gone. Bin instinctively tried to hide his arms, his fingers reaching under his shirt to feel the bumpy scars that lined his stomach. Taek-woon's whole face fell at Bin's reaction, pulling his hand back.

"I'm sorry Hong-bin, I didn't mean to upset you."

Bin was sorry when he saw how sad Taek-woon was, wanting to tell him that he wasn't upset, but he didn't know the words to say it. Hak-yeon always understood what Bin wanted to say, but Taek-woon couldn't understand. He wanted to tell him that Bin was just scared of Taek-woon seeing, that he wouldn't be so nice if he saw. Taek-woon never saw the dolls, never saw the things he and Hak-yeon did. He didn't want to make Taek-woon dirty like Bin. Taek-woon was so pretty and pure, if he saw what Bin was really like—how could he say this?

Bin couldn't say it, didn't know how, and Taek-woon couldn't understand.

He was so unhappy as Taek-woon silently put the soap in his hair, looking up and staring at Taek-woon's sad face. He had promised Hak-yeon that he would keep Taek-woon happy, but all he had done was make Taek-woon sad. He panicked, wondering what he could do to make him happy. He knew what always made Bin happy, maybe-

"Are you alright? What's wrong Hong-bin?" He jumped when Taek-woon brushed his cheek, and Bin realized that he had been shaking.

"Taek-woon hyung," he said loudly, trying to sound just like Taek-woon always did, so confident, "take a bath with me."

Taek-woon didn't move for the longest time, staring at him with wide eyes and his mouth open. Bin started to worry, wondering if he said something wrong that would only make Taek-woon sadder. He was just about to apologize when Taek-woon cleared his throat, his hands holding the edge of the tub. "H-Hong-bin...I don't think-"

"You can take a bath with me." He pat the water next to him, inviting him in. Taek-woon always bathed him, but Hak-yeon was the only one allowed to sit in the bathtub with Bin, was the only one who could hold him in the bath. That was Bin's happiest time, but he was willing to give it to Taek-woon this once.

Taek-woon looked embarrassed. "I...I'm not sure...Hak-yeon-"

"Don't worry," he reassured, lowering his voice to a whisper, "I won't tell Hak-yeon hyung. Bin can keep a secret." Taek-woon chuckled, smiling tenderly as he reached over and ruffled Bin's soapy hair.

"Alright Hong-binnie," he said, his voice soft like the way he spoke with Hak-yeon. "Make sure you don't tell Hak-yeon. I'm sure he'll be very upset if he found out."

"I won't tell," he said again, moving over when Taek-woon stood up, keeping his clothes on as he stepped into the water. He hissed as he slowly sat down, tugging at his wet sleeves.

"I should have gotten some dry clothes first." He sighed, splashing the water a little bit before looking back at Bin, smiling again. "Come over here, let me finish washing your hair." Bin excitedly scooted closer, leaning forward so Taek-woon could work his hands through his hair. It felt so nice, so new to have Taek-woon sitting in the bath with him. He was so happy, and when he looked up to see Taek-woon still smiling, he felt even better that he managed to make him happy too.

He blinked when Taek-woon's hands pulled away, and he hurriedly looked up to see Taek-woon moving to start washing his own hair. "Taek-woon hyung!" he called out, grabbing his hands and yanking the soap bottle away.

"Hong-bin, what-"

"Bin wants to. Let Bin." He copied how Taek-woon always went about to clean Bin's hair, popping the top off and dumping a bunch of it in his hands. Taek-woon, smiling widely now, guided him on how much to use, taking the bottle back and putting it to the side. Bin, cradling the soap so carefully so he didn't spill any, leaned forward and plopped all of it on Taek-woon's head. He wasn't sure what exactly he was supposed to do, so he tried to do what Taek-woon would do, scratching his fingers on his head and twisting his hair round and round.

Taek-woon laughed, startling Bin—Taek-woon never laughed. He paused to see Taek-woon watching him through his soapy hair, Taek-woon's lips pulled out in a wide smile. "Like this Binnie." And Taek-woon put his hands in Bin's hair, showing him what to do, and Bin followed diligently. Taek-woon laughed the whole time, and Bin decided he liked Taek-woon's laugh.

After the bath, Taek-woon took Bin to his room, letting him sleep with him tonight since Hak-yeon wasn't here. By then Bin was very, very worried; he didn't know why Hak-yeon hadn't come back yet. He said he was only going to talk to Saet-byul, that he was only going to be gone for a little bit. He was supposed to be back by now.

Taek-woon was just as worried, but he was better than Bin at hiding it, looking unfazed as he helped Bin change into his pajamas. "Hak-yeon hyung will come back soon, right Taek-woon hyung?"

"Of course," Taek-woon replied immediately, his voice hitching, and Bin was reminded of when Taek-woon was crying back when they came home. He had never seen or heard Taek-woon cry before, and he didn't like it. "Hak-yeon probably went to see the others first. You know he doesn't break promises."

"Of course not," Bin said hurriedly, knowing Hak-yeon was amazing and would never break his promise. When he was fully dressed, he quickly crawled under the covers, waiting for Taek-woon to climb in bed with him. Bin immediately pushed himself into Taek-woon's arms and heard the sound of Taek-woon chuckling in his ear, and Bin looked up at him to see the outline of his face shining from the moonlight. Without thinking, he shifted forward and placed his lips quickly against Taek-woon's, just like he did to Hak-yeon earlier. Taek-woon stiffened immediately, just like Hak-yeon did, and Bin squeezed his eyes shut excitedly as he buried his face in Taek-woon's chest.

Hak-yeon didn't think Bin understood, but Bin wasn't stupid. Bin knew. Bin could do it too, could kiss lips too. He fell asleep happily, never realizing how Taek-woon only continued to stare at him the rest of the night.

 

The next day started so well, Taek-woon woke him up gently, helping him up and feeding him breakfast. He really liked Taek-woon's breakfast, even though Taek-woon fed him so much that he felt his stomach was about to burst. Taek-woon talked about having class, but told Bin he didn't need to go today, that he would spend the day with him. Bin was so excited, he never really knew what Taek-woon's classes were, or why he had to go all the time, so he was happy Taek-woon decided to stay with him.  

"You know, someone came over while you gone," Taek-woon said as they sat on the couch together, Bin in his lap. It was different, his body so used to sitting in Hak-yeon's lap and having Hak-yeon's arms around him with Hak-yeon's lips kissing his head. But Taek-woon was good too, even though Taek-woon didn't kiss him. He fidgeted, the idea of someone else in Taek-woon's apartment making his skin run cold. "He was looking for you." 

"M-me?" he asked, eyes wide as his breath caught in his throat. H-him, who could be looking for Bin? She was locked away, Hak-yeon said, how could anyone be looking for him?  

"You remember Jae-hwan and Won-shik don't you?" Instant relief washed over him at Jae-hwan's name, remembering the really nice Jae-hwan and his friend. Jae-hwan was nice, he taught Bin games to play with Hak-yeon and would make faces that made Bin laugh. He would make Bin forget about the basement and about her, would let Bin play without being scared. He liked Jae-hwan. 

He looked up, smiling excitedly. "Jae-hwan hyung was looking for Bin?" 

"Won-shik was. But I'm sure Jae-hwan was the one who asked." Taek-woon ruffled Bin's hair, and Bin scrunched his eyes up happily. "I told him I would call him if you came back, but I won't if it makes you uncomfortable." He paused for a few seconds, his eyes watching Hong-bin carefully. "Would you like me to call him?" 

Bin hesitated, suddenly nervous about them coming here, nervous that they would be loud and touchy and would feel how dirty Bin was. They would feel his scars and marks, would strip him down like she did and see how bad he was. It was why Hak-yeon always insisted on wearing clothes that covered everything, so no one could see. But if they touched Bin, they would find out. He didn't— couldn't see them, not without Hak-yeon. Hak-yeon— he needed Hak-yeon.  

Before Bin had a chance to even cry that he couldn’t, Taek-woon shot out of his seat, running hurriedly to his room. Bin, already worked up because of his question to call Jae-hwan, followed after, his body shaking as his arms wrapped protectively around himself. “T-Taek-woon hyung?” he asked as he peeked into Taek-woon’s room to see the other holding his cellphone, quickly punching in numbers. Bin tentatively put his hands on the door frame, Taek-woon’s anxiety only working to scare him more. “A-are you o-okay?”

Taek-woon seemed to finally notice him when he brought the phone to his ear, sending him a flustered smile. “I’m sorry for scaring you, Hong-bin. I-I’m just calling to ask Hak-yeon if he’s alright.” They both waited for Hak-yeon to pick up, Taek-woon cursing to himself when no one answered. He tried again, and Bin shivered when he saw how scared his hyung was getting.

“T-Taek-woon hyung-”

“Hak-yeon,” Taek-woon nearly shouted, “please call me back as soon as possible. I-there’s something I need to tell you. Please call back.”

Hong-bin scrambled to Taek-woon’s side the moment he finished the call, jumping on him and holding him tight, shaking terribly. “W-wh-what’s w-wrong Taek-woon h-hyung?” he stammered, his mind racing as he tried to figure out what could have scared Taek-woon so badly that he would have to run to call Hak-yeon. Hak-yeon—he couldn’t be in trouble, Hak-yeon couldn’t be in trouble, he was only going to check on Saet-byul. He promised he was going to come right back. He didn’t break promises. There was no reason Taek-woon was so scared, Taek-woon was never scared.

“I’m sorry Hong-bin,” Taek-woon whispered softly, running a hand through Bin’s hair. That usually made Bin so happy, reminded him of Hak-yeon, but he couldn’t think of that. He was so worried about Hak-yeon, about why Hak-yeon wasn’t home, why Hak-yeon hadn’t come back yet— “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Taek-woon gathered Bin in his arms as he led him back to the other room, his hands holding him tight to try and stop him from shaking. Bin wanted to stop, to show Taek-woon he was strong, but he couldn't— not when all the reasons for why Hak-yeon wasn't home yet were running through his mind. Hak-yeon, he didn't break promises. He didn't. He said he would be back, he'll be back, he wouldn't break his promise, would come back to Bin— “H-Hak-yeon hyung…did something happen to him?”

“No-”

Before Taek-woon could answer there was a loud, sharp knock that echoed from the front door, and Bin's eyes snapped open as he scrambled out of Taek-woon's arms and onto the floor. He gasped, frantically looking for Hak-yeon. Hak-yeon would always take him away, hide somewhere safe where no one would be able to find him. Would shower him with kisses and caresses to keep him far from the basement and his terrifying memories. But, he remembered in horror, Hak-yeon wasn't here. Was still gone. Was still missing. He crawled away, too scared and alone to figure out how to stand up, grasping onto the table to try and help him move faster, to get away. The knocking came again, louder this time, and he started crying, crying out for Hak-yeon to save him and take him away and hide- 

"Hong-bin!" He screamed when a pair of arms wrapped around his waist, and he tried his hardest to rip them off. He had to get away; if he's caught, she'll punish everyone. Bin had been so bad, she'll definitely punish everyone and make him watch. He didn't want to watch!  

"Hong-bin!" the voice cried again, crushing him tightly and showering him with kisses. He shrieked, kicking wildly. Only Hak-yeon kissed, this wasn't Hak-yeon! He kept kissing Bin's head, holding him so tight so Bin couldn't run away. "Hong-bin, calm down! It's me, Taek-woon! It's okay, you're okay!"  

Taek-woon? 

He stopped kicking, still breathing heavily as he tried to understand what was going on. Taek-woon, Taek-woon's arms were around him, Taek-woon was kissing him; he was so confused. And then the knocking came again, so loud and terrifying. He started crying again, grasping onto Taek-woon's hands over his stomach desperately.  

"T-T-Taek-woon h-hyung," he stammered, gasping, "w-where...she's going to come for me. S-she's...she knows I've been b-bad. She-" He could see her standing over him, grinning evilly as she held a doll up for him to see, waving it mockingly. She mouthed his name, reaching for him. 

"No one's coming for you. I have you, I promise. No one will touch you when I'm here." Taek-woon kissed him again, and even though his body screamed that it wasn't right, Bin liked it. Slowly, he felt himself calm down, suddenly tired as he fell back into Taek-woon's arms. Taek-woon sighed softly, resting his head on Bin's shoulder. "I promise no will hurt you. No one will hurt you again." Bin trembled at the sound of Taek-woon's whisper in his ear.  

There was another knock on the door, and Taek-woon sighed. "Hong-bin, someone is knocking on the door, I have to answer." Bin's grip tightened, whimpering again. "Do you want to wait in the bedroom? I can take you there."

"N-no," he mewed, so tired and scared he couldn't shout. He couldn't be alone right now, was scared that she would be waiting for him if he was. He clung onto Taek-woon. "S-stay, stay with Taek-woon hyung." 

Taek-woon frowned but didn't argue, nodding his head. "Then sit here on the couch. I'll try to get them to leave quickly." Bin nodded, letting Taek-woon lead him to the couch and reluctantly let go of his hand, and watched him carefully as he headed to the door. Bin kept his head down, peeking over the couch to watch, and stiffened when he heard Saet-byul's voice on the other side. 

"Saet-byul?" Taek-woon asked confusedly, opening the door a little wider in surprise. Bin immediately ducked down so she wouldn't see him, his body trembling as he wondered worryingly why she was here. Was Hak-yeon with her? He had to be, he went to see her. He had to be here. He slowly peeked over the top of the couch to check, and froze when Saet-byul looked straight at Bin, smiling.  

"Hello Hong-bin."  

With those two words, the whole world melted away except for her and Bin, those two words so cold and terrifying and the only thing ringing in his head. Saet-byul, she wasn't Saet-byul anymore. Her eyes, those were her eyes. He stopped breathing, gasping. She...she-she must have hurt Hak-yeon! Her smile, her eyes, everything was different, evil, just like her. S-she...she...this was dangerous. So very dangerous.   

"You've been very bad Bin. Watch and see what you did."  

"This is all your fault! If you had just been good like I told you, they wouldn't have been punished!"  

"Why are you so bad?"  

"Don't talk to him," Taek-woon reprimanded softly, Bin shaking terribly as Saet-byul quickly hid her smile behind a sad frown. Taek-woon didn't see, but Bin did. Bin saw everything and was so scared. Taek-woon, he-- he didn't know, he didn't know-- but Bin was too scared, too scared that he was going to do something wrong. He didn't want the others to get hurt because he was bad. H-he—he had to—but Taek-woon- "He's having a hard enough time with just you here." 

"Sorry," she said, but all Bin could hear was her voice, the sound ringing loudly in his ears. She tried to step inside but Taek-woon blocked her, his arm still outstretched with a hand on the door. "Taek-woon oppa?" 

"Saet-byul," he said slowly, quietly; Bin almost couldn't hear, "have you seen Jae-hwan recently?" Bin peeked up again at Jae-hwan's name, saw how her eyes widened before she swallowed heavily. Her smile was forced.  

"No I haven't. Did he say he's seen me?" She's seen him! She's seen! Bin wanted to scream it out when Taek-woon only shook his head, but he couldn't. Not when Saet-byul looked over at him and sent him a smile. Her smile.  

"No. I was just wondering." 

She let out a sigh of relief, fidgeting slightly. "I thought you were interrogating me for a second. Can I come in?" She side-stepped around him before Taek-woon had a chance to say no, coming right over next to Bin and sitting across from him. Her eyes never left Bin, not even when Taek-woon exasperatedly called her name and followed her over. Bin shook frightfully under her steady gaze, and even when Taek-woon pulled him into a hug he didn't feel any better. She was dead, her eyes were so dead; Bin buried his face into Taek-woon's chest.  

He was so scared.  

Taek-woon's hand came up to cup over Bin's head, and Bin's fingers hurriedly latched onto the front of his shirt.  

Taek-woon didn't know, he didn't know what was going to happen. B-but Bin did. Bin would protect Taek-woon.   

He forced himself to look back at her, meeting her gaze.  

"Where is Hak-yeon?" Taek-woon asked, looking back to the door hopefully. "He went to see you yesterday."  

"He didn't come back already?" she asked sadly, though Bin could tell she was smiling inside. He didn't know, Bin didn't know when she changed. Saet-byul had always been something he didn't understand, always wanting Hak-yeon and saying things that scared him, but never doing anything to hurt anyone. She never touched the dolls, only carried around Hak-yeon's. It confused him. But something happened, she wasn't like before. Something changed. "He must have gone to see the others. He talked about them before he left." 

Taek-woon frowned, his hands around Bin's waist tightening, as if he was starting to see something was different with her. "How did your talk go? It sounded urgent."  

Her lips pursed, her fingers flexing. "It went fine. I've been having a hard time recently, so he came to see me. I felt like I should go out for a bit, so I came to see you." She smiled again, and Bin wanted to cry.  

"It's...odd that you've come to see me. Why didn't you go to Sang-hyuk?" For a second she wasn't so scary, almost looking sad, but it was gone so fast that Bin didn't think it really happened.  

She didn’t answer, instead glancing around before looking back to Taek-woon. "Taek-woon oppa, could I have something to drink? We always drank coffee when we met, it's strange not to be drinking anything."  

Taek-woon hesitated, glancing down at Bin who hurriedly shook his head. Don't go, Bin thought pleadingly, don't leave him alone here. But Taek-woon just nodded silently, rustling Bin's hair before gently pushing him off his lap, leaving him alone. He immediately pulled himself into a little ball, cold and alone, Saet-byul's eyes boring into him. He refused to look at her, his eyes locked on his fingers pressed around his knees. He thought he could hear her laughing, a small evil laugh, but he wasn't sure.  

He listened carefully for Taek-woon, heard him grabbing glasses and filling them with water. He waited until Taek-woon placed three clear glasses of water on the table before latching onto him again, scooting a little farther away from Saet-byul. Saet-byul didn't notice, grabbing the glass hurriedly and spilling half the water on herself.  

On purpose! Bin wanted to scream. She did it on purpose! But he couldn't, was too afraid, instead crying when Taek-woon got up again to get her some napkins. The moment Taek-woon left the room, she went straight to her bag and pulled out a small packet. Bin watched her intently, watched her open it and dump it into Taek-woon's glass. She dumped the whole thing, waited for it to settle before using her finger to mix it up.  

"You-" Bin could only stutter, frantic as he tried to think whatever that could be that she put into Taek-woon's drink. Would it kill him? She was going to hurt him! Saet-byul heard his cry, smirking as she stuffed the packet into his pocket.  

"Don't even think of saying anything," she said lowly, grinning wickedly. "Or I'll kill both of you."  

Bin snapped his mouth closed, his heart beating fiercely in his chest. He was going to be strong, was going to protect Taek-woon. He couldn't say anything, he couldn't do anything to hurt Taek-woon. But his eyes stayed on the glass, knowing she had done something horrible. He could only hope Taek-woon wasn't thirsty.

Taek-woon came back, handed Saet-byul the napkins as he settled back down next to Bin, pulling him back into his lap. But Bin couldn't even be happy about that, his eyes locked on Taek-woon's water. Don't drink, don't drink, don't drink– don't drink Taek-woon! Saet-byul thanked him for the napkins as she cleaned herself off. "I wanted to apologize," she started, her hands rubbing against the glass she held. "I wasn't very polite when you all were at my apartment, and you had to see Baek-hyun and Chan-yeol like that."

"Are they always like that to you?" Taek-woon asked, a hint of concern in his voice.

"Everyone is. Everyone thinks I'm going to turn everyone into dolls and kill everyone." She paused when Taek-woon reached out to take a drink. Bin watched horrified as he took a sip, shaking and biting his tongue. He wanted to slap the cup out of his hand, tell him how she did something to it and it was going to hurt him. He watched him drink, started crying even when Taek-woon looked down at him in concern. Saet-byul continued, her voice filled with excitement. "But it doesn't matter anymore. I've given up fighting. If everyone thinks that way, I'll give it to them...starting with you first."

Taek-woon stiffened at that, confusion and fear in his eyes, and Bin couldn't take it anymore. "Your drink hyung! She– Saet-byul– she put something in your water!" Bin ripped the glass out of his hands and threw it to the ground, but Taek-woon didn't even flinch, his eyes unfocused and cloudy.

"Saet-byul..." he mumbled, swaying, and Bin panicked as he tried to hold him still. "You...wasn't...wasn't keeping him from you..."

"Yes you were," she hissed, no longer trying to appear nice. "You all were. You all thought I was too dangerous for him and wouldn't let him come back to me. But if I get rid of you all, then he'll come back." Taek-woon grunted, trying to say something, struggling but unable to form words. "I'll make you all pay for keeping him from me. For making him scared of me."

"No...I..." Taek-woon couldn't hold on any longer, his eyes fluttering closed as he fell into Bin's arms, his head hanging limply on Bin's shoulder.

Bin screamed, clutching Taek-woon's limp body close to his chest, his mind racing as he tried to understand what was happening. "Taek-woon hyung! Hyung!" He looked over at Saet-byul, heaving. "You killed him! You killed hyung!"

She rolled her eyes as she stood up and shoved Bin away, grabbing the back of Taek-woon's shirt and pulling him away. She took out a knife, holding it to Taek-woon's neck, and Bin froze. "He's not dead, but if you make another sound I will kill him right here." Bin swallowed all of his cries, didn't dare to even breathe. He had to protect Taek-woon, he promised Hak-yeon he would take care of him. Even if he already failed really badly, he still had to protect him. She seemed pleased when he didn't move, lowering the knife a little.  

"You're going to come with me," she said, her voice loud and confident. She definitely had changed. Something happened. "I'm going to take you back home with me, where you can join everyone else. I'll make sure you are a perfect gift for N when I show him." She put the knife back at Taek-woon's throat, and Bin accidentally let out a whimper.

Bin carried Taek-woon outside, wouldn't let her even lay a finger on his hyung. She didn't mind, walking behind them to make sure he didn't try to run away. She threatened that she had a clean doll in her bag, waiting, and Bin moved even faster. He wouldn't. Bin would never let her put that thing anywhere near Taek-woon.  

There was a car outside that Saet-byul ordered him to get inside, but before Bin could move the car door opened and Jae-hwan's friend Won-shik jumped out. Bin froze, his hands around Taek-woon tightening in confusion and terror. What...what was Won-shik doing here? Did that mean Jae-hwan was here too? Were they helping her? Were they helping her this whole time? They tricked Bin? To get to Hak-yeon? He stumbled back, starting to cry, until he felt a jab in his back, Saet-byul glaring dangerously.  

"Don't even think of running," she hissed, and Bin froze again, so, so confused and terrified.  

"What the hell Saet-byul," Won-shik hissed, glancing worriedly at Bin crying and Taek-woon leaning limply over his shoulder, "did you ing kill him?" 

"I didn't kill him," she hissed back exasperatedly. "He's just asleep."  

"You said you were just going to talk to him-- what the hell is this? Why did you grab Hong-bin?"  

"Hong-bin?" The car door opened again and Jae-hwan stepped out, and Bin fell to the ground in tears, reeling. What was going on? Why-- why was Jae-hwan here? Jae-hwan was nice, played with Bin, he couldn't—he couldn't be with Saet-byul! Couldn't! Bin liked him, he couldn't have tricked Bin!  

"Hyung," Won-shik spun around, speaking in a soft tone when Jae-hwan stumbled forward, each step shaking and unsure, "you should wait in the car."  

"What...what is Hong-bin doing here?" Jae-hwan's voice was quiet, so unlike his happy, loud voice he always used to make Bin laugh. When Jae-hwan took a step toward Bin, Bin scrambled back, clutching Taek-woon to his chest protectively. He wouldn't let them take Taek-woon! He promised Hak-yeon! Jae-hwan looked up at Saet-byul, a hint of anger flashing on his face before it disappeared. "Saet-byul...did you do this to Hong-bin too? To both of them?"  

Saet-byul actually softened when she spoke to Jae-hwan, her voice gentler, "Hong-bin was my mother's doll, I didn't do anything to him. But I haven't touched Taek-woon. I'm just bringing them with us."   

Jae-hwan's eyes teared as he looked down at Hong-bin, nearly falling to his knees as he crawled closer to Bin. Bin flinched initially but stayed still when Jae-hwan shakily reached over and pat his head. "You were already like this...I'm so sorry Hong-bin that I never noticed." Bin's eyes narrowed as he tried to understand—until he looked closer and saw the large cut on Jae-hwan's forehead, looked in his eyes and saw the pain and suffering underneath. The pain he knew all too well, the pain he'd grown up watching and feeling.   

"N-no, Jae-hwan hyung," he cried, his hand crushing Taek-woon as he started to panic, "not you, Jae-hwan hyung!" Jae-hwan immediately flew back at Bin's words, cradling his head as he started to cry, begging for Won-shik to save him. Won-shik was at Jae-hwan's side immediately, soothing him the best he could.   

"Don't call his name," Won-shik said quietly, running a hand down Jae-hwan's back, "he can't stand it. Just call him Ken."   

"I d-don't understand-"  

“Get him away from me!” Jae-hwan suddenly screamed at the top of his lungs, eyes locked on Hong-bin with fear in his eyes. Won-shik’s eyes narrowed in concern as he tried to shush the other, cupping his face in his hands and asking worriedly what was going on.  

“Ken-” 

“Get him away from me Won-shik! Tell him to get away!”  

“What do you mean…?” Won-shik looked back over to Bin, and Bin watched helplessly as that same fear appeared in Won-shik’s eyes. The older boy was horrified, gathering Jae-hwan in his arms and scrambling back. Saet-byul started shouting something at them but Bin didn't hear her, crying when he saw how the two of them crawled away from Bin, so scared at even the sight of him. He looked up at Saet-byul in loathing, the first time he had ever felt something so strongly, hated with all his being that she had turned Bin's only friends into dolls that would forever be terrified of him. He remembered the day so long ago, when Baek-hyun had tried jumping out the window and Joon-myeon shattered his leg. That fear…now Jae-hwan and Won-shik would be like that towards him forever. 

His head spun and his fingers shook.  

He...hated Saet-byul.  

He had never hated before, the feeling foreign, but as he felt it course through his veins and fill his chest with a tight pain, he knew it was hate. He hated her.  

Saet-byul groaned as she grabbed clumps of her hair and pulled harshly, finally pulling out two dolls from her bag and silencing their voices. Bin instinctively flinched back at the sight of the dolls, tucking Taek-woon's head into his shoulder so he wouldn't see. "I don't have time for this," she muttered, shifting the dolls in her hands. She whispered something into their ears, the tears still shining on their cheeks as they clambered to their feet, Won-shik's arms still wrapped protectively around Jae-hwan.  

Won-shik stumbled forward as his hands reached out to grab Taek-woon, and Bin screamed as he slapped his hands away. No. She was not allowed to touch him. She couldn't touch Taek-woon. He looked up at Won-shik to see the pain and regret in his eyes, could tell from how his brow furrowed that he didn't want to do this. She was making him, making him even when being this close to Bin hurt and tortured him. He looked behind him to see Jae-hwan crying.  

Bin's head was spinning, his hold on Taek-woon's still body being the only thing grounding him.  

Won-shik tried grabbing Taek-woon again and Bin panicked as he scrambled to his feet, trying to make as big of a distance between them as possible. He didn't want them to touch Taek-woon, but he also wanted to make sure he was far enough away it wouldn't hurt Won-shik. Saet-byul growled as she angrily forced Won-shik to take Jae-hwan to the car, stepping up herself until she was only inches away from Bin, her hand clasping tightly around Taek-woon's arm.  

"If you don't get in, I'll make sure that you're the one who ends up slicing his neck." Her other hand came up to brush Taek-woon's neck, and Hong-bin let out a long wail, trembling. He hated her, he hated her so much. Hated her more than her, more than anyone in the world. He hated Saet-byul, but he was so scared. He ended up silently following her, unwillingly compliant as Won-shik came back out to help strap both Bin and Taek-woon down. His eyes were filled with apologies, but he was unable to say anything. His hand lingered over Bin’s, squeezing his fingers before getting back in to drive.

Saet-byul sat in front, turning around to give Bin a bright, bubbly smile, ignoring how everyone else glared at her. “Guess what Hong-binnie?” she asked, though Bin was too afraid to answer. He found Taek-woon’s hand and clutched it tightly, desperately. “We’re going to go back home. You’ll get to see the basement again. Aren’t you excited?”  

Bin felt his blood run cold, Taek-woon’s fingers turning purple in his grip.  

Then her smile faded slightly, a hint of regret in her eyes as her voice lowered to a soft whisper, 

“Are you happy? I’ve finally become the monster you’ve always wanted.”