Chapter 3

Take My Hand

Warning: torture, mentions of self-harm


It had been over a week since he and Hak-yeon had slept together in the same bed, though neither of them ever mentioned it. Especially with Hong-bin around. The younger boy was extremely angry with Taek-woon for ‘stealing’ Hak-yeon away from him, never letting him have even a minute with the older boy. It got to the point that whenever the two of them were in the room together, he made it his mission to pull Hak-yeon away. Taek-woon was able to ignore it at first, but after a while of being glared at and Hak-yeon forced away every time he wanted to see the other, he grew annoyed. 

But he couldn’t scold Hong-bin; the one time he did that was the only time he saw Hak-yeon truly angry. 

He growled, his fists tightening, as he bit back his tongue and kept his face as passive as possible when Hong-bin swatted his hands away for the umpteenth time as he tried to dress the two of them before he headed off to school. He had only managed to put a hat on Hak-yeon’s head; Hong-bin viciously ripped the scarf off and Taek-woon couldn’t even get close enough to help him with his coat. 

“Hong-bin-” he started as gently as possible. 

“No!” Hong-bin snapped, wrapping his arms around Hak-yeon’s shoulders and pulling him close. “Don’t you dare touch Hak-yeon hyung!”

“I need to get him dressed before I go. It’s cold.” 

“I’ll help him! You keep your disgusting hands away from him!” 

“Fine,” he snapped, his hands visibly shaking as he all but shoved the winter garments into Hong-bin’s hands. “Make sure he wears everything. If he gets sick-”

“He won’t!”

He hurriedly left the room before he strangled the younger boy, breathing deeply as he tried to calm himself. Hong-bin was, he tried to reason to himself, in his own twisted way trying to protect Hak-yeon. As much as he wanted to kill him half the time, he knew Hong-bin was coming from a good place and was only trying to do what he thought was right.

He did check on them before leaving, sighing to himself when he saw Hong-bin holding Hak-yeon’s coat in his hands, measuring it up to Hak-yeon as if trying to figure out how to put it on. Hak-yeon sat completely still, waiting, his hands held out helpfully in front of him. Hong-bin eventually decided to put the coat on backwards, slipping Hak-yeon’s arms through the sleeves and going behind him to zip it up his back. It was when the two were staring at the coat confusedly, Hak-yeon’s arms still outstretched, that he decided to intervene. 

“You put it on backwards Hong-bin,” he said softly, watching as Hong-bin ran over and tugged Hak-yeon away. 

“I dressed him! You can go now!” 

“You have to put his coat on the right way at least.” He ignored Hong-bin’s slaps as he ped the coat and tugged it off Hak-yeon’s arms, purposefully avoiding the elder’s eyes as he put it on correctly. “The coat goes on from the back.” 

Hong-bin spluttered next to him, no longer hitting him as he watched carefully. “Y-you can’t touch him after this.” 

He didn’t answer him as he pulled the scarf that had been wrapped around Hak-yeon’s face off and fixed it on his neck, spending extra time to make sure it fit perfectly. He gave Hak-yeon one final pat before turning to leave when he heard a small voice squeak behind him.

“W-wait.” He looked back to see Hong-bin fidgeting, suddenly finding his feet much more interesting. “C-can you help me with mine?” He followed Hong-bin’s shaking finger to the younger’s boys clothes, realizing he didn’t know how to put them on. 

A smile tugged on his lips as he dropped his bag onto the floor, making sure not to look at Hong-bin as he picked up the younger’s coat. “It goes behind you, like this.” He threw the coat over Hong-bin’s shoulders, holding up the sleeves expectantly. “Slip your arms inside.” Hong-bin hesitated, looking up at him with both suspicion and adoration, eventually lifting his arms and slowly putting them through the sleeves. “I’ll teach you how to zipper it later,” he said, zipping up the coat and making sure he was warm. 

Hong-bin reacted when Taek-woon picked up the hat, ripping it from his fingers and slamming it on his head. “I can do this by myself!” 

“I’m sure.” He didn’t spare the other another glance as he grabbed his bag, now running late. 

“Goodbye Taek-woonie,” he heard Hak-yeon faintly whisper as he left, but when he turned around the older boy was already busy pulling Hong-bin into a hug.

--

Bin waited until he heard Taek-woon shut the door before burying his face in Hak-yeon’s chest, humming happily. Hak-yeon was so warm, he loved every second he was able to lay in the elder’s arms. Hak-yeon chuckled softly, his arms around Bin’s shoulders tightening and his soft lips pressed against Bin’s head. 

They never needed to speak when it was just the two of them alone. Bin was able to understand anything and everything Hak-yeon needed. He was able to tell whenever his hyung was uncomfortable, sad, scared, lonely; he could tell everything. He was much better than Taek-woon. He could see Taek-woon always tried to talk to Hak-yeon, but he could never tell when Hak-yeon really wanted to talk. He couldn’t tell that Hak-yeon didn’t like loud noises, how he didn’t like it when Taek-woon was always so careful and gentle with him. That was why Bin was so much better than Taek-woon, Bin could always tell. 

Hak-yeon shifted, grunting, and Bin could tell he wanted to move. Hak-yeon, even though he acted strangely at times and didn’t talk as much as he used to, still was nice to Bin and took care of him. He liked the attention. Hak-yeon kept him pressed to his front as he led him into the main room, holding him by the hand as he crouched onto the couch. He didn’t waste any time as he crawled into the elder’s lap, snuggling close and rubbing his face into Hak-yeon’s chest. 

He wished it wasn’t so cold, he didn’t like these coats. 

He wanted to lay his face on Hak-yeon without these annoying clothes; he wanted to feel his skin. His skin was much warmer than any of these clothes. 

He shivered and Hak-yeon cooed, one hand beginning to run through Bin’s hair. “Are you cold Binnie?” he asked quietly, his voice tired. Hak-yeon hadn’t been sleeping well recently; Bin could tell whenever he rolled over to watch Hak-yeon as he slept that the older was awake, staring blankly at the ceiling. 

He curled his legs closer to chest, forcing Hak-yeon to pull his legs apart, straddling him close. Hak-yeon pressed his lips again to Bin’s head, his one hand catching a knot in his hair. “Hyung will keep you warm.” 

He didn’t know how long they laid that way, Bin snuggling close and warm against Hak-yeon’s body and Hak-yeon whispering sweet nothings to him as he his head. Not that Bin really knew how time worked; he only knew a few ‘set’ times: breakfast, Hak-yeon, Taek-woon coming back, dinner, Hak-yeon again, bedtime. There was no time in between for him, there never needed to be. 

He only needed Hak-yeon. 

He had fallen asleep at one point, he always did when Hak-yeon hugged him, and when he looked up he found Hak-yeon staring at him intently. He shook his head and blinked his eyes, pushing his sleepiness away, as he rolled over slightly so he could look at the other better. He could see how Hak-yeon’s eyelids drooped and his eyes were glossy. He was sleepy. So Bin did what he could for his Hak-yeon; with little effort he tugged the other until he was lying on the couch with him, their bodies hanging precariously over the edge of the seat. They clung tightly to each other, gazing silently into each other’s eyes. Bin squeezed his eyes shut when Hak-yeon breathed on him gently, his breath so warm and soft, trying to force his mind to go anywhere else. After a couple seconds he peeked out of one eye, opening both in surprise when he found Hak-yeon already sleeping, his face peaceful. 

Just listening to the rhythmic breathing of Hak-yeon was enough for Bin, and he watched quietly as the other slept. He liked watching him sleep. When Hak-yeon slept, he was vulnerable, and it was a time when Bin could watch over him and take care of him. Bin liked feeling like that, and he liked that feeling with Hak-yeon. 

He was just about to close his eyes when there was suddenly a loud noise on the front door, each knock so loud it felt as if it was echoing in his ears. Hak-yeon’s eyes snapped open at the sound, placing both hands on Bin’s shoulders to push him down while he shot up, his head looking around. Bin scrambled as he hurriedly scratched and pulled at Hak-yeon’s arms to get his attention, his heart beating so erratically he wanted to cry out. Hak-yeon jumped when he scratched him, but at the moment he couldn’t think about that. 

With a shaky hand he pointed to the front door in time for another knock to echo in the completely silent apartment. No, no! He couldn’t stand that loud noise, the sound of someone else being on the other side of that door, waiting for him. The idea of anyone else near him terrified him. When there was another knock, followed by a muffled, “Is anyone there?”, he whimpered, his fingers wrapping so tightly around Hak-yeon’s wrists they turned white. 

“Hello? Jung Taek-woon? Are you there?”

Hak-yeon quickly gathered Bin in his arms and shot out of the room, running straight to Taek-woon’s bedroom. Without letting go of Bin, he swung open the closet door and hurriedly threw all the shoes and empty bags away, crawling inside. 

“Hello?”

Bin screamed, suddenly no longer in the safe arms of Hak-yeon but back in the basement, looking up through tear-filled eyes as she stared down at him. All the dolls were staring at him again, their faces pressed against the bars and glass of their cages to watch him. She smiled brilliantly as she reached over the broken glass of his cage, grabbing Seok-jin. NO, she couldn’t take Seok-jin! He scrambled –panting, screaming– as he tried to grab Seok-jin back, pleading and crying that he would be a good boy for her. Don’t take Seok-jin, don’t hurt him. Please, don’t hurt him. Bin will be good, Bin will do good. Please. Please.

She laughed, her high-pitched cackle always sent chills up his spine, as she threw Seok-jin down. Seok-jin didn’t get up. She hurt him. He bawled over Seok-jin, pleading for him to wake up, when she grabbed the back of his neck, her long nails digging into his skin and drawing blood. She laughed as he struggled, too afraid to pull away from her but so very afraid of what she was going to do to him. 

Watch me, watch what you’ve done. 

She slammed his wrists onto the glass, cutting them up and squirting blood that ran all over his arms. He cried out, sobbing that it hurt and that he was sorry. She only laughed at him again, telling him not to move. He was too scared to do otherwise, too scared to pull his hands away even though every second it felt like agony. She went over and grabbed a doll. Bin didn’t have a doll, or he didn’t know if he had a doll. She never did anything with him. She only made him watch. He blanched. 

He didn’t want to watch. 

He didn’t!

She went over to one of the cages and unlocked the door, swinging the barred door open. She stepped inside, he couldn’t tell who she was talking to or who she wanted, but she could hear loud, clanking sounds. He cried, apologizing still, hoping she would stop. He didn’t want to watch! 

She didn’t listen, dragging out Joon-myeon hyung. His leg was all weird; it was bent and gray, pieces of his bones sticking out. She threw him to the ground and looked back at Bin, grinning. Look at what you’ve done Binnie. Look at what you made me do.

She grabbed the doll from earlier, holding it up for both Joon-myeon hyung and Bin to see, shaking it playfully. She covered the doll’s face carefully, squeezing slowly. 

Joon-myeon hyung screamed, clawing at his face as he gasped desperately for air. Bin cried and pleaded, pleading for her to leave Joon-myeon hyung alone, that he was wrong. He was so, so wrong. All the other dolls were watching silently, their faces blank as they watched Joon-myeon hyung choke. 

Eventually she did pull away and Joon-myeon hyung gasped for air, heaving and rolling over the best he could with his hurt leg. But she wasn’t done; she was still angry at Bin for stopping her. She twisted the doll’s bad leg, and Bin watched in fear as Joon-myeon hyung’s leg twisted the same way, wishing there was a way he could close off his ears to not have to hear Joon-myeon hyung’s desperate screams. 

I’m sorry, I’m very, very sorry. Bin is sorry! He dug his arms deeper into the glass to get her attention, to show how very sorry he was. She only laughed at him, twisting Joon-myeon hyung’s leg over and over until something snapped, and soon Joon-myeon hyung’s cries were ear-piercing, his hands hovering over his destroyed leg but too afraid to actually touch it. None of the dolls looked away, only watching with a deadened look in their eye. Bin only continued to cry and plead, telling her he was sorry and that he would never stop her again. Bin will only watch and be quiet, letting her do what she wanted. 

She tells him it’s too late, he should have thought of that before he dared to touch her. She leaned over Joon-myeon hyung, who at this point had quieted and was lying very, very still on the floor. She his cheek, laughing into his ear. 

Pick someone, dear E. My dear, dear E, you need to pick someone else to share your fun. You can’t have it all to yourself. 

She always did that. She would make them pick someone else for her to hurt, to use their doll to make them cry. It was always the worst part, because that was when the other dolls grew scared too, scared they would be picked and forced to cry too. But Joon-myeon hyung was good, he never wanted to pick anyone else. He would rather be hurt all over again than pick someone else. Sometimes she wouldn’t pick another, just making the doll cry for a second time. But this time she was really mad at Bin. Bin had been really bad. 

She grabbed another doll, Se-hun hyung; ignoring Bin’s pleas and yanking him out from his cage. The other doll in the cage with him was silent, only a small trace of pity in his eyes. She threw the doll on the floor, grabbing her knife and showing it to Bin. 

This will teach you, you little brat. Next time, you’ll think twice before daring to tell me what to do. And then she plunged the knife into Se-hun hyung’s stomach, his screams echoing in Bin’s ears. 

No! No, no nonononononononononononono-

“Bin! Hong-bin ah! Shh, it’s alright!” 

Something grabbed his head and pulled him into something warm, and he flailed and screamed as he tried to break away. He had to get away, if he pleaded more, she might stop-

“Bin! It’s me, Hak-yeon! It’s okay, everything’s okay. It’s all just a dream!” 

...Hak-yeon? 

Yes, Hak-yeon hyung. 

Safe.

Warm. 

He tentatively reached out, feeling something warm and soft –Hak-yeon’s hands. Yes, he was okay. He was in Taek-woon’s apartment, he wasn’t anywhere near the basement. They were far away from there. He was still too scared to open his eyes, his whole body shaking uncontrollably. He could feel Hak-yeon move, but was it really Hak-yeon? What if she was doing this to him, making him think he was safe and then she would make him watch as she hurt another one of the dolls? No, he wouldn’t open his eyes. That would be the scariest thing, he didn’t want that. He didn’t want the perfect image of Hak-yeon to be ruined by her. He wanted to wrap his arms around Hak-yeon and hold him close, to breathe in his scent and make sure he was real, to feel him hug him back and whisper happy things into his ear. But he didn’t want to know if it wasn’t real. 

“I’m right here, Hong-bin,” Hak-yeon whispered gently, and he was almost certain that was Hak-yeon’s voice. “Shh, that person is gone now. You’re safe.” 

He felt Hak-yeon’s arms wrap around his shoulders, his warm breath on his face as he leaned in and pressed a kiss to his cheek. His eyes snapped open. 

Only Hak-yeon kissed him. 

No matter what she did to Bin or the others, she never kissed. 

Hak-yeon was real. 

He broke down in his hyung’s arms as he buried himself deep into Hak-yeon’s embrace, clinging onto him so desperately. He never wanted his hyung to leave him again. Hak-yeon didn’t say anything while he cried, only rubbing circles into his back and occasionally pressing kisses to his head. Slowly, he felt himself calm down, and he was suddenly very cold. It was always hot in the basement, she always made sure it was so, so hot down there. But Taek-woon’s apartment was always cold. Cold. He was cold. 

Hak-yeon seemed to realize he was cold, pulling him in closer and taking Bin’s hands in his own and bringing them up to his mouth, breathing on them. “I will never let anyone hurt you ever again,” Hak-yeon said softly, his warm breath tickling Bin’s skin. “Don’t be scared Hong-bin. No one will touch you again.” 

“H-hyung,” Bin was finally able to stutter out, his teeth chattering from how cold he suddenly was. 

Hak-yeon paused at his voice, looking over at him. “It’s alright. I’ll protect you.” He was grateful when Hak-yeon dropped his hands and just held him again. He didn’t need Hak-yeon to say nice things to him, though he always appreciated them; all he needed was just his hyung’s presence, to know he was there and would protect him. This time, he fell asleep without waiting, no longer having the strength or desire to wait until Hak-yeon fell asleep with him. 

Bin slept for a long time, the sound of Hak-yeon’s heartbeat the only thing keeping him calm. It felt like an eternity before the closet door was swung open; he peeked out from under Hak-yeon’s arm to see Taek-woon staring down at him, the other sighing at the sight of them. He pretended to still be asleep so the other would leave, pushing his face deeper into Hak-yeon’s arm. 

Hak-yeon seemed to sense his uneasiness, immediately rubbing circles into his back again and cooing. “He’s gone, my little Binnie,” Hak-yeon whispered, Bin’s cheek with his thumb. “Taek-woon’s going to cook us dinner, so he’ll leave us alone.” 

Hak-yeon must have wanted to leave; he could sense how his hyung constantly glanced around the corner, constantly listening for Taek-woon. His cooing became softer, as if he was only half-heartedly comforting him. Bin didn’t like it. He tugged on his hyung’s hand occasionally to bring him back, to make him focus on him and him alone, but it only worked so long before Hak-yeon would be back to listening for Taek-woon. Eventually Hak-yeon looked down at him expectantly, waiting for what Bin wanted. Bin didn’t want to move, but he couldn’t say no to anything Hak-yeon wanted. So he slowly let his death grip on Hak-yeon’s coat go and allowed his hyung to lift him up. 

Hak-yeon held onto Bin’s hand tightly as they crept back toward the kitchen, peeking from around the corner to watch Taek-woon cooking. Taek-woon didn’t notice them, he never did. Hak-yeon turned around and pushed the hair out of Bin’s face, the tips of his fingers and wiping his cheeks. 

They walked into the kitchen, Taek-woon only sending them a small glance before going back to cooking. He peeked up at Hak-yeon to see the smallest smile on his lips as he watched Taek-woon work, absentmindedly guiding Bin to sit at the table. He tried to bring Hak-yeon’s attention back to Bin, not liking being ignored like this one bit, but Hak-yeon was completely focused in watching Taek-woon. He glared at the elder’s back the whole time, wishing inwardly that he would trip or burn himself. 

Bin watched Hak-yeon as Taek-woon came over with food, his hyung’s eyes completely focused on Taek-woon. Taek-woon was getting all of Hak-yeon’s attention, why didn’t he notice? He wrapped his arms around Hak-yeon and pulled him away slightly. He knew Taek-woon’s plan. He pretended not to notice, and then when Bin fell asleep he stole Hak-yeon away. 

He wouldn’t let that happen again.

He wouldn’t let Hak-yeon be taken from him again. 

After dinner, Taek-woon took them straight to bed. He grabbed their pajamas, turning to Hak-yeon first, and Bin quickly stepped in front of his hyung. “Bin can dress Hak-yeon hyung,” he snapped, growling when Taek-woon pulled the pajamas away, holding them up so Bin couldn’t reach. 

“Not now Hong-bin,” Taek-woon said quietly, and he flinched when he said his name. Taek-woon didn’t pay attention to him though, pushing Bin away so he could dress Hak-yeon for bed. Hak-yeon was perfectly happy with it, his eyes excited as he held his hands up to help him change his shirt. Bin waited for his turn as Taek-woon finished, shifting the blankets so he could tuck Hak-yeon in for bed. He waited the whole time, gripping his pajamas in his hands, growing more and more worried when Taek-woon made no move to help him get ready for bed.

When Hak-yeon was wrapped tightly in blankets, his sleepy eyes roaming around between him and Taek-woon, Taek-woon finally turned to Bin. Bin held up his pajamas for him, wanting to show that he waited patiently for his turn. Taek-woon stared at him for a split second before turning and heading for the door, flicking the light off. Bin panicked, racing to the door and grasping desperately at Taek-woon’s shirt, tugging fearfully. Taek-woon looked down at him in surprise, hurriedly flicking the light back on. 

“Hong-bin-”

“You forgot Bin,” he said hurriedly, tugging again and again on his shirt. “B-bed...forgot...Taek-woon hyung forgot Bin...” 

“Taek-woon.” Bin could hear the bed creak and soft feet padding on the floor, and he could see Hak-yeon climb out of the bed out of the corner of his eye. Taek-woon looked between the two of them, his mouth opening slightly before running a hand through his hair. 

“I thought you didn’t want me to help you anymore.” 

“No, I-I...I-no. No, I don’t want you to touch– to touch Hak-yeon hyung anymore. Just Hak-yeon hyung. Me...Bin...I-I...Taek-woon hyung-”

“Binnie,” Hak-yeon said soothingly, reaching out and rubbing his back gently, sending Taek-woon a look that had him gasping. “He didn’t mean it-”

“Taek-woon hyung,” he gasped out, peeking out through his fringe to see Taek-woon staring down at him, his mouth tugged down in a frown. He couldn’t think straight. He didn’t like Taek-woon; he was scary and a Hak-yeon stealer. The only reason he looked at Taek-woon was because Hak-yeon liked him, and said that they would be living with him. He didn’t like him at all. But, he was used to Taek-woon waking him up every morning, dressing him, feeding him; his quiet presence sometimes soothed him just as well as Hak-yeon. He liked that Taek-woon didn’t get mad at him or scold him when Bin would say things; that he didn’t yell at him whenever he tried to hide or was too scared to answer. 

He had been just protective of Hak-yeon, knowing Taek-woon had stolen him from him. That didn’t mean he wanted Taek-woon to ignore him. He didn’t want that at all.

“I’m sorry- I’m sorry. Bin was wrong, B-Bin...Bin was very, very wrong. I-”

“Hong-bin,” Taek-woon said softly, and he immediately shut his mouth, Hak-yeon’s hand pausing on his back. “You didn’t do anything wrong.” 

Bin blinked, still uncertain, and Taek-woon sighed as he placed a hand on top of Bin’s head. He flinched slightly. 

“I thought you were angry with me.” 

“No! No, I-I...,” his fingers tightened, his hands shaking, “I was mad– mad about Hak-yeon hyung. I...t-that doesn’t- it doesn’t mean leave me. O-only Hak-yeon hyung. Only-”

“Alright, alright,” Taek-woon said quickly, awkwardly placing his hands on Bin’s shoulders. “Go grab your clothes, I’ll help you get ready for bed.” 

Hak-yeon stepped back, allowing Bin to take a couple tentative steps back, nervously letting go of Taek-woon’s shirt. He pattered over to his discarded pajamas, clutching them close to his chest before handing them over. Taek-woon sighed as he helped Bin change his clothes, his hands extremely careful the entire time. He stole glances over to Hak-yeon every once in a while, his hyung smiling tiredly and reaching out to hold his hand. When Taek-woon finished buttoning the shirt of Bin’s pajamas, taking care to fix his collar perfectly, he ruffled Bin’s hair. 

“Get into bed,” Taek-woon said softly, his voice soft enough that Bin wasn’t scared when he said a command. Hak-yeon herded him gently, keeping him close to his chest as Taek-woon covered them with the blanket. Bin’s hand shot out when Taek-woon moved to pull away, holding onto him for just a second, the whimper to stay resting on the tip of his tongue. But Hak-yeon buried his face in Hong-bin’s side, and suddenly Taek-woon wasn’t important anymore. He pulled away to roll over into Hak-yeon’s chest, and was only vaguely aware of the light shutting off and the door closing.