Chapter 22

Take My Hand

He wrapped the multitude of blankets tighter around him, staring sadly at the alarm clock next to him that read it was a little after three, the numbers blaring bright and terribly at him. He squeezed his eyes shut as he tried to force himself to get comfortable, the blankets he held so tightly unable to give him the warmth that Hak-yeon and Hong-bin had given him when they would sneak into his bed. He looked down sadly at his stomach, almost able to imagine Hong-bin spooned against him, his face buried into his chest as he lightly snored. He could almost feel Hak-yeon pressed firmly into his back, his hands gripping his sides and shifting with each breath he took.

He closed his eyes again as he reassured himself that this was only temporary, they would be coming back. Hak-yeon wouldn't leave him, he wasn't like the others. Hak-yeon would come back.

"You ing liar, you ing promised you wouldn't let him near Saet-byul. You ing promised!"

"The hell! Has he been having attacks like that normally? What the hell are you doing to him? I knew you weren't good for him! I ing knew it!"

"Hak-yeon trusted you, we trusted you, and this is what you do to us! How could you let this happen to him and stand there saying you care about him?"

"I knew you couldn't be trusted! No one can be trusted except for us! No one is safe!"

Taek-woon rolled over as he pressed his face into his pillow, letting out a long sigh that warmed his face and made it even harder to breathe. Hearing Baek-hyun throw all those accusations at him had hurt, had hurt terribly, but it wasn't as if there wasn't some truth behind it.

He had promised to keep Saet-byul away from him, had promised, and in the same breath brought him to Saet-byul's doorstep. He had been so greedy, loved seeing the smiles that appeared on Hak-yeon's face more and more, loved seeing the spring in his step and hearing him talk. He had wanted it all, and knowing that the only way for it to continue was to bring him to Saet-byul, had done it willingly. Despite his promise, he had let them meet.

And Hak-yeon's panic attacks.

He should have gone to someone for help a long time ago, gotten something to help Hak-yeon so he wasn't in so much pain when it happened. He shouldn't have let Hak-yeon suffer alone, to just hold and comfort him until it passed and let him sleep it off. He shouldn't have let Hong-bin sit there and watch them, to cry in the closet when they happened and crawl out when they were over. He should have ignored how much Hak-yeon would have fought and cried if he brought a doctor in. He should have done more to help him.

He had just been afraid that he would be deemed unfit to watch Hak-yeon, to have his friend taken from him. To have both Hak-yeon and Hong-bin taken away somewhere far from him.

But that didn't matter anymore.

They were still taken from him.

 

He went to classes in a daze, his whole routine thrown off when he didn't have to spend time getting the two dressed, or making their breakfast, of making sure they were dressed warmly before leaving. He laid three bowls out just in case they came back when he was eating; he knew how hungry Hong-bin was getting nowadays. He wanted to make sure Hong-bin ate something, he was finally starting to fill out. When he wasn't in class he was sitting by the door with his phone in hand, staring at the screen in the hope of hearing the ringtone that would normally fill him with dread.

He had thought numerous times about calling them, pretending that he had only misdialed if one of the others picked up. But he always chickened out in the end, too afraid of bothering them in case they were doing something important. He knew Hak-yeon wouldn't leave him like this, would tell him if he wasn't coming back. Hak-yeon wouldn't throw him away, wasn't like the others, would always be there for him...even if it meant he wasn't by his side.

He had grown so excited when the doorbell rang, flinging a sweater on and launching at the door in a hurry to let them in-- only to nearly die in disappointment and frustration when it was only Won-shik. He normally would have been suspicious of why the other, who he admittedly knew very little on, would suddenly want to see the two, but at that point he was just happy to hear their names uttered, to hear that someone else was looking for them. Won-shik's surprisingly comforting words were enough for Taek-woon, and he slept for the first time in two days at the words that they loved him and would come back.

It wasn't until a week after Baek-hyun and Chan-yeol took the two away that he finally received a call, and he didn't even take the time to answer as he flung on some clothes and ran out of the house. He realized belatedly that he didn't wash his face or comb his hair, and he probably smelled since he hadn't showered that morning, but he didn't care. He ignored the surprised and disgusted looks he got as he ran down the streets, only Hak-yeon on his mind.

He was panting as he reached the small antique shop, knocking frantically as he tried to catch his breath. Hak-yeon was the one who answered, his eyes wide in surprise at the sight of him, stuttering out his name with questioning eyes, but that didn't matter to Taek-woon. Hak-yeon looked positively radiant, his hair newly washed and his skin shining, his cheeks a little less sunken and his clothes new and freshly pressed. Taek-woon looked him up and down repeatedly, his stomach clenching when he thought that Hak-yeon had never looked that good when he had stayed with him.

"Taek-woonie?" Hak-yeon asked worriedly, shoving his phone in his pocket as he cupped Taek-woon's face in his hands and checked him over. Hak-yeon's hands were so warm as they pushed his chin this way and that, his eyes roaming over him. He felt Taek-woon down and Taek-woon felt his cheeks flush in embarrassment to see he was still wearing his pajamas with only a jacket thrown over it. He looked like a mess. "You didn't have to come all the way here, I was just calling-"

"A-are you alright here?" he blurted out, watching every miniscule change on Hak-yeon's face as he pulled his lips down in a small frown.

"I'm doing alright," he said softly, still looking at him in concern. "Have you been sleeping? Taek-woonie, you look sick..."

"When are you going to come home?" he asked, his voice sounding a little more pathetic than he would have liked. Hak-yeon's frown deepened at that, and Taek-woon's mind raced to think of what he could have said wrong.

"Taek-woonie...that's why I called you..." Hak-yeon looked so upset, his fingers picking at the hem of his shirt as he hesitated. "I...Hong-bin and I aren't going home for a while."

Taek-woon was suddenly lightheaded as he stared at his friend, his eyes fluttering closed as he tried his best to stay calm. Hak-yeon wasn't throwing him away, there was a reason. There had to be a reason he wasn't coming home. Hak-yeon was shouting something as his hands patted up and down Taek-woon's arms, and Taek-woon realized he was trying to call his name. Hak-yeon was staring at him with fear in his eyes, trying to look him in the eyes.

"Taek-woonie, I'll come home soon, I promise. I just can't come now."

"But...I miss you..." he whispered, not caring how pathetic he sounded anymore. Hak-yeon quickly engulfed him in a hug, his cheek pressed against Taek-woon's.

"I miss you too Taek-woonie. I do want to come home. I just can't. There-"

"She has him! Jong-in wouldn't just leave like this, don't you realize she's kidnapped him? She's going to kill him! She's going to kill him and tear him apart! Let me go! Don't let her get me!"

Hak-yeon winced as the voice continued to shout from inside, other curses overlapping as they tried to muffle whoever was shouting.

"I didn't want you to hear that," he said quietly, one hand cupping the back of Taek-woon's head to keep him trying to look inside. "Something is going on with the dolls. Someone is hurting us and already killed someone." Taek-woon started, mouth opening to ask if Hak-yeon had been hurt but his friend continued. "I'm okay, don't worry. But I'm afraid they'll go after you if I go home. I don't want you hurt."

"Where's Hak-yeon? Did she get him? Hak-yeon!"

Hak-yeon sighed, pulling away from him. "I promise I'll come home when this is over. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Taek-woonie, I just-- I don't want you hurt."

"Hyung?" Hak-yeon whirled around to see Hong-bin peek around the corner, the younger boy's face brightening at the sight of Taek-woon. "Taek-woon hyung!" Hong-bin shot out and jumped into Taek-woon's arms, disregarding Hak-yeon trying to pull him away. "Taek-woon hyung, are you going to stay with us?"

"Taek-woon has to go home," Hak-yeon said softly, and Hong-bin frowned, holding Taek-woon tighter.

"Is it Saet-byul?" Taek-woon asked seriously, eyes narrowing when he saw Hak-yeon freeze. Hong-bin fidgeted in his arms.

"You know Byullie wouldn't do something like that. She doesn't like dolls. She would never intentionally hurt anyone." Hak-yeon let out a small sigh before reaching over and pulling Hong-bin out of his arms, giving the younger a bright smile when he started to whine. "Taek-woon has to go home now, say goodbye."

"Are we going to go home later?" he asked, looking to Taek-woon hopefully.

"Not now. So make sure you say goodbye." Hong-bin's face dropped as he gave a sullen wave to Taek-woon, and Taek-woon grabbed a hold of Hak-yeon's wrist, silently pleading. Hak-yeon faltered for a split second before gently pulling his hand off, caressing Taek-woon's cheek softly. "You're not alone Taek-woon. I'll always be there for you, remember that. My sweet Taek-woonie, stay strong." He gave his hand one last squeeze before closing the door and leaving Taek-woon alone.

--

Hak-yeon's heart hurt at the crushed look on his Taek-woonie's face as he shut the door. He knew that Taek-woon would take what he said to heart, would hold onto those words and wait for him until the day he died. That was just how Taek-woon was, desperate for security and love, and he hated playing on those insecurities.  

Taek-woon had never told him explicitly what had happened at home with his parents, but Hak-yeon had observed enough before he grew sick to have an idea. He could see that despite how much his mother showered him in love, Taek-woon seemed to hate it, hiding away from her and pushing her away when she came too close. He clung onto Hak-yeon, however, face so bright and content when Hak-yeon would comfort or dote on him. He wasn't sure how or why Taek-woon was so insecure and afraid, and was only able to do what he could to make his sweet Taek-woonie feel better.  

He hated himself for using Taek-woon's unwavering and unfathomable trust in him to keep him away.  

He had been ready to go home originally, had planned on taking Hong-bin right back after they managed to get Jong-dae to clean up and calm down. But Jong-dae had clung onto Hong-bin as the only one who would believe him, and Hong-bin wanted to stay and help. Hak-yeon had been so proud of Hong-bin asserting himself, albeit stuttering the whole way, that he had all but stayed for him. He had decided that he would invite Taek-woon over, completely ignoring how Baek-hyun spat fire at the idea-- until Jong-in disappeared.  

No one had thought anything of it at first, thought Jong-in had just been sleeping in. It wasn't until Kyung-soo went to his room to get him to come eat lunch that they discovered he was gone. There had been no note, no indication he had planned on going out, he was just simply gone. Kyung-soo had been inconsolable since, Jong-in the only one he felt completely comfortable around. Only Hong-bin had managed to get him to stop crying. When Jong-dae had all but screamed that 'she' had kidnapped him, that 'she' was going to kill him, Hak-yeon threw his idea of bringing Taek-woon over away. 

He didn't want Taek-woon hurt.  

It didn't matter if it really was Saet-byul doing this, or her mother, or another person they were unaware of; he was not about to risk his Taek-woonie getting hurt.  

If that meant leaving Taek-woon alone, he would do it.  

 

Hong-bin wouldn't look at him after they sent Taek-woon away, his lip stuck out. Hak-yeon frowned, playing with Hong-bin's hair as they went back to reassure Jong-dae they were alright. He knew Hong-bin had warmed up to Taek-woon recently, had seen the way Hong-bin would light up around him, but he didn't think it was to the extent he would be so visibly upset when Taek-woon was turned away.  

"Who was it?" Baek-hyun asked from Kyung-soo's side, the younger curled up and staring at him with his one good eye.  

"Taek-woon hyung," Hong-bin answered as he went back to Jong-dae, the crazed other letting out a lopsided smile to see they were alright. Baek-hyun scowled, though he knew better than to say anything when Hak-yeon sent him a vicious glare.  

"Don't let her see him," Jong-dae warned, twitching in his seat but not moving when under Joon-myeon's watchful eye. "She'll make him a doll. She will." 

"Don't say things like that," Joon-myeon sighed, tired of hearing the nonsense Jong-dae had been spewing since coming back to them. Watching Sehun die in front of him seemed to have snapped something in Jong-dae, the other no longer able to rationalize anything no matter how many times they tried to console him. They were able to calm him enough to stop him from shouting continuously, though he seemed unable to think farther than the dolls and his impending death. Hak-yeon pursed his lips as he fought to make a smile for him, nodding his head.  

"I know. That's why I sent him away. I don't want her to see him."  

"Hak-yeon..." Joon-myeon started, though Jong-dae cut him off with a stiff nod. 

"Good. It's not safe. She can see everything, she can kidnap anyone if they have a doll. And then she'll kill them. She'll rip them into little pieces and kidnap again. Just like she did to Jong-in." Kyung-soo started crying again, and Baek-hyun hurriedly led him out of the room, sending Jong-dae a hateful glare before closing the door behind him. Hak-yeon glanced back to see Chan-yeol and Yixing asleep on the makeshift bed, Yixing's head in Chan-yeol's lap, and he quickly motioned to Joon-myeon. Joon-myeon understood, whispered something to Hong-bin before getting up and following Hak-yeon to the kitchen.  

"What is it?" he asked quietly, taking a peek to check that everyone was alright. Joon-myeon had taken the role of caretaker amongst the freed dolls, now the eldest one along with being the most rational. It did take a toll on him, his face covered in premature wrinkles and specks of his hair graying.  

"Do you really think it has to do with the dolls? Jong-in's disappearance?"  

Joon-myeon sighed; he could tell this was a topic the other probably wanted to avoid. "It has to be. None of us, including Jong-in, really like stepping outside unless necessary. Kyung-soo can't even look out the window. It can be the only reason Jong-in would leave like this, and so suddenly." 

"Could it really be Byullie?" he asked, a hint of disbelief in his voice. "I want to believe it wouldn't be her, but..." 

"I can't say, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. She's always had the disposition to make dolls. We were just too late to stop it from manifesting." 

Hak-yeon shook his head, his heart refusing to believe it while his head was already rationalizing the possibility. "Saet-byul never wanted anything to do with dolls, she just wanted me to love her. Even then she never tried to use my doll to force me to do anything. Byullie couldn't have done this. Do you think her mother was able to-?" 

"Eun-ji doesn't have our dolls, she wouldn't be able to have them in prison. That wouldn't stop her from making new ones wherever she is, but she wouldn't be able to control us. Either it's Saet-byul or someone who was able to get their hands on the dolls." 

"Should I go visit her then? I could check to see if she has the dolls or-" 

"No," Joon-myeon nearly shouted, shaking his head. "If it is Saet-byul, she could be doing this to lure you out. It'll be too dangerous." 

"But if she does have Jong-in, how are we going to help him if we don't go?" 

"Please listen to me, it's too dangerous. Stay here, we'll protect you." When he opened his mouth to protest, Joon-myeon put a hand on his shoulder with a small smile. "I know sometimes you don't feel like it, but you're just as important to us. We want to help and protect you just as much as anyone else." 

He smiled back, though his insides clenched tightly.  

"I better get back though," he said, his shoulders dropping as he let out a large sigh. "I never feel comfortable leaving Jong-dae by himself." They quietly went back to the main room to see Jong-dae asleep in his chair, his head resting on top of Hong-bin's. Hong-bin noticed them come in, his eyes brightening at Hak-yeon, though he hesitated from moving when Jong-dae's arms around him tightened.  

Joon-myeon was able to wake Jong-dae, speaking in soft, controlled tones to get him to go upstairs and sleep. Jong-dae was too sleepy and confused to fight him, letting the elder lead him by the hand upstairs. Hak-yeon, in turn, took Hong-bin's hand and led him upstairs, noting the younger's grease covered hair and dirt-streaked cheeks.  

"Look at you Hong-binnie," he murmured, wiping at Hong-bin's cheek and frowning when the other pulled away. "You need to wash up, you haven't bathed since coming, have you?" 

"With Hak-yeon hyung?" he asked, his large eyes hesitant as he glanced at the bathroom Hak-yeon pulled him to.  

"Of course," he smiled, happy to finally get Hong-bin to clean himself. He had been refusing to do so since arriving, refusing every attempt Hak-yeon tried. He still wasn't sure what had caused the younger to change his mind, but he was grateful. He started the bath, making sure the water was warm before turning to Hong-bin, only to find him standing patiently by the door. Hak-yeon frowned, reaching out to pull him inside only for Hong-bin to shy away. 

"Binnie?" he asked confusedly. "Come in, the bath is ready." 

"Where's Taek-woon hyung?" he asked, glancing down the hallway as if waiting for Taek-woon to appear.  

A cold realization that Hak-yeon refused to acknowledge ran over him, and his hands clenched. "I told you, Taek-woon had to go home. He's not here." 

"But...Bin can't bathe without Taek-woon hyung. Taek-woon hyung always cleans Bin." 

Hak-yeon struggled to keep his smile up, not wanting to let Hong-bin see how much his words were affecting him. "When we go home Taek-woon will help you again. Since he's not here, can Hak-yeon hyung help you?" Hong-bin hesitated, still unhappy, though in the end he allowed Hak-yeon to pull him inside, begrudgingly getting into the bath. This was the first time Hong-bin had preferred Taek-woon over himself, and it was a strange feeling.  

"Can we color our hair again?" Hong-bin asked as Hak-yeon worked the shampoo into his hair, his face a look of pure innocence. 

Hak-yeon laughed as he tapped him on the nose, his eyes crinkling when Hong-bin jumped at the bubbles that decorated his face. "We did it only a couple weeks ago. We don't need to." 

"But can't we do it again?" 

"Why? Don't you like this color?" 

"Any color!" he cried hurriedly. Hak-yeon stared at him for a few seconds before slowly agreeing, wondering where all of this was coming from. Hong-bin never asked for anything, and while he was happy the other was starting to become more confident in speaking up for himself, he wasn't sure what was causing it. Hong-bin turned around so he was facing Hak-yeon, grinning so wide and his dimples deep. "Taek-woon hyung will color, right? Taek-woon hyung always colors. Hak-yeon hyung can't color his own hair. Has to be Taek-woon hyung."  

Hak-yeon's eyes widened in understanding, and he sadly rinsed the shampoo out of his hair. "I told you, Taek-woonie isn't here. He won't be until we go home. If you want to color your hair, I will have to do it." 

Hong-bin's face wrinkled in disinterest as he turned back around, slumped over in disappointment. "I don't want to anymore," he mumbled, and the rest of the bath was done in complete silence.  

Later that night, Hong-bin stood resolutely by the door, the pajamas that Joon-myeon had given him originally held close to his chest. Hak-yeon paused from dressing to look at him, knowing already what he was doing. "Hong-bin, I told you. Taek-woon isn't here. Let hyung help you." 

"But Taek-woon hyung always puts Bin to bed. Bin can't sleep unless Taek-woon hyung puts Bin to bed." Hak-yeon stared at him exasperatedly, realizing now why the other had always been so fussy since deciding to stay with the others. It hadn't been obvious at first, but Hak-yeon could only guess that after seeing Taek-woon and him being sent away, this was Hong-bin's way of telling him he was upset.  

Hak-yeon sighed as he went to the other's side and wrapped his arms around Hong-bin's middle, pulling him in close. "I'm sorry, little Binnie. I know you miss Taek-woonie. I miss him too. But someone is hurting the dolls, and I don't want them to hurt him. You don't want him to get hurt right?" Hong-bin hurriedly shook his head and Hak-yeon kissed his cheek. "Once we figure this out, we'll go home. We'll see him again, I promise. Can you wait until then?" 

Hong-bin nodded sadly, and Hak-yeon gave him another kiss on the forehead before leading him to bed.