Introvert

Traits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taeyeon was enjoying her sporty morning on the nice and beautiful weather of Saturday. She got home last night thanks’ to the late guests. She had to stay longer than usual. She reached home close to midnight and lost her consciousness almost immediately. Her work was tiring; being ordered and criticized at the same time in order to earn some living wasn’t easy at all. Yet, seeing the satisfied expression & smiles that would appear when she did her job wonderfully was priceless. That’s the main reason why she decided to keep her job. She was tying her shoes when she heard a woman yelled.

 

“SOMEBODY HELP!! “ Taeyeon looked up and saw a person running away from the yelling woman.

 

“What’s wrong, Ms?” Taeyeon jogged a little and asked the anxious young woman.

 

“He stole my bag! Oh My God. I got everything in there; my license, id card, money. Everything.” She cried.

 

“Wait here. I will try to get it back.” Good thing that Taeyeon was wearing sneakers at that time. She was in a dash running toward the thief. She might be short but it didn’t mean that she wasn’t fast. She increased her pace, trying to catch the villain.

 

“WAIT!” Taeyeon screamed. The person who wore a hat, flannel shirt, hideous jeans, and covered his face with a scarf turned around for a moment. However, he didn’t slow down a bit.

 

“I got you!” Taeyeon said breathlessly. She bent down her body and held up her knees. She smirked toward the person. Now, both of them were in the corner of the alleyway.

 

“Really?” Taeyeon heard that person said to her. Before she knew it, she saw people coming from the dark. There were 4 men who were grinning at her.

 

“Now, who’s got who? Wow. I only planned to get one treasure today, never thought I would get the jackpot. Handover your belongings and get away from here before we hurt you.” That masked man threatened Taeyeon. The men, along with the thief approached her, trying to get her cornered.

 

“Still, I got you.” Taeyeon smirked. She hinted with her fingers to just come and let it all out. She clearly tried to enrage the group.

 

“You got it yourself, buddy. Don’t blame us if your small body will be filled with bruises later. No worries though, we won’t let you die.” The biggest man said. Taeyeon only smiled in return.

 

Who said that a small body meant fragile? Who concluded that a woman couldn’t win against a big man? Well, Taeyeon obviously wanted to prove those statements wrong. She avoided the punches, trying to seek chances to punch her fist back. She successfully threw her hard punches to their weak spots, such as stomach, area near their livers, and such. 4 men were down in less than 5 minutes.

 

“You’re the only one left.” Taeyeon scrapped her palms and walked toward the culprit. The person looked scared that he walked back until the wall stopped him.

 

“Where is the bag?” The person gave the bag immediately.

 

“Good. Now come with me.” Taeyeon took his palm and about to drag him, but surely he tried not to move even a bit.

 

“I wonder why you didn’t want to fight me. Do you want to try now?” Taeyeon raised one of her eyebrows. The person shook his head.

 

“Just for your info, I got black belt back in college. You wouldn’t have guessed it, right?” Taeyeon added.

 

“Anyway, I haven’t seen your face. Show me.” Taeyeon let go of his hand and moved her other hand toward his face.

 

“No.” He covered his face with his palms now.

 

“Don’t make it hard on me. I can punch you down right this instant, you know?” Taeyeon tried again and this time, he didn’t fight back. Taeyeon could hear him sigh before she could uncover his face.

 

“Wh-what?! You’re a woman?!” Taeyeon looked totally surprised. Behind that scarf was a breathtakingly beautiful woman.

 

“Yes. I am a woman.” The person said. She untied her hair and let it fall down to her shoulder. It was like Taeyeon was watching a commercial break of shampoo where the woman would wag her hair.

 

“Now that you know, can you let me go?” She asked softly.

 

“Look. I am sorry that I did what I did but I would appreciate it if you would let me go. You have punched my friends anyway.” She said.

 

“Why should I? I have to bring you to the Police station. You have done a criminal and you should be punished.” Taeyeon braced herself, trying hard not to be affected by the plea.

 

“I was forced, okay? I didn’t want to do this too. But living a life without any job is hard. My friends and I cannot eat if we didn’t steal it.” The woman reasoned out.

 

“How can I know you wouldn’t do this again right after I left you alone?” Taeyeon frowned. She couldn’t believe this woman, right? Heck. She didn’t even know her. All she knew was that she was not a good girl. That’s why she could be a villain.

 

“I can’t promise you. This is my job. But I can swear, I will never rob you or steal from you.” The woman exclaimed seriously.

 

“Not good enough.” Taeyeon shook her head.

 

“Then what do you want me to do?!” She raised her voice.

 

“Why did you raise your voice on me?! You’re the one at fault here! I will leave you only if you can promise me that you will never do bad things again!” Taeyeon didn’t back down and retorted.

 

*GROWL”

 

“Is that the sound of your tummy?” Taeyeon asked innocently.

 

“Wh-what do you think!? I wouldn’t be this hungry if you didn’t chase me and make me angry!” The woman said. Her cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

 

“Let’s go.” Taeyeon held her wrist.

 

“Where? I told you I don’t want to-“

 

“Let’s first give the bag back to its rightful owner. After, I will provide you something delicious to eat.” Taeyeon smiled, sincerely this time. She always found hungry person was the cutest person after all. Why? Because no matter how worst her or his mood was, once he/she was faced with food, the mood would get much better.

 

“Bu-but.”

 

“Trust me. I won’t take you to Police Station.” Taeyeon tugged her wrist, and finally the cul[rit gave up and let her being dragged away along with her grumbling tummy.

---

 

“Come in. I live alone so rest assure.” Taeyeon let the front door opened.

 

“But why are you taking me here? Didn’t I just show you that I am not a bad person? I steal for living!” The woman was curious. She didn’t come in and just stood in front of the door.

 

“Hunger can even make two persons kill each other. You are bad simply because you are hungry. I will know whether you are truly evil or now once you are full.” Taeyeon took off her sneakers. She went back to the front door and pulled the woman with her.

 

“I can always steal your belongings without you knowing.” The woman reminded.

 

“I allow you to do so. If you did, then let’s just say my intuition is wrong and that you are truly an evil person.” Taeyeon shrugged.

 

“I don’t understand you. I don’t even know you!” The woman sighed.

 

“The name is Taeyeon.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“My name. Kim Taeyeon. But you are free to call me Taeyeon.” Taeyeon smiled.

 

“Okay.”

 

“What’s yours?”

 

“Tiffany.”

 

“American name. I wonder why you ended up in a street.” Taeyeon said. Tiffany grew silent.

 

“I only have tomatoes, canned tuna, cabbage, cheese, and egg. Well, since your name is American already, I will make you tuna sandwiches. How does it sound?” Taeyeon said with her back facing Tiffany. She was busy seeing the content of her refrigerator.

 

“It sounds okay.”

 

“Good. You can sit there while I am cooking for you.” Taeyeon took the knife and smoothly slice and minced the ingredients. If Tiffany didn’t know better, she would already think that Taeyeon was a-

 

“You look surprised. Yes, I work as a chef.” Taeyeon already answered the question in Tiffany’s mind.

 

“I didn’t ask.” Tiffany quietly said.

 

“Your look was enough to make me say it out loud.” Taeyeon took the oil and started to heat up the pan.

 

“How do you want your egg to be made? Scrambled? Sunnyside up? half done?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Sunnyside up. I prefer the yolk not to overcook.” Tiffany mumbled.

 

“Right away, Missy. It will be done in less than 5 minutes.” There were no words that changed after that. Taeyeon was busy cooking while Tiffany kept on staring at Taeyeon in awe. She secretly complimented her cooking skill but of course, she wouldn’t admit it out loud.

 

“Here it is. I hope you like it.” Taeyeon served the sandwich. Even the smell had expressed how tasteful the food would be.

 

“I see you like it.” Taeyeon chuckled. She was amazed at how Tiffany finished it all much faster than the time she needed to prepare it.

 

“Is it that good?” Taeyeon teased. She took an empty glass, filled it with orange juice, and gave it to Tiffany.

 

“It was nothing special. I am just hungry. That’s all.” Tiffany surely lied. She never knew a sandwich could be tasted so heavenly like that.

 

“Alright. At least you finish it all. There’s nothing that could make a chef happier but to know her / his guest had her/his plate empty. So~ Thank you for finishing my food. It’s such an honor.” Taeyeon smiled. She brought the empty plate to the sink. Tiffany pretended to be busy and drank her orange juice.

 

“Thank you for the food. I will leave now.” Tiffany jumped from the stool.

 

“Who said that my food was free?” Taeyeon’s words stopped her.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I work as a chef. People should pay for the food they have eaten, right? Moreover when it’s made by a pretty well-known chef like me. Should I get the bill now?” Taeyeon stood firmly, waiting to response from the latter.

 

“I never asked you to feed me, okay?! It’s you who invited me to your place and eat your cooking! And now you asked me to pay?! Tsk~ I thought you’re a nice person. Guess not. You’re even eviler than me for blackmailing me!” Tiffany sounded angry. She felt so used. She was only a poor person and now she was asked to pay for something she never asked.

 

“You’re right, yet you eat it anyway. So pay, or this time I will get you to the Police Station for real.” Taeyeon looked unaffected. She only smiled in return and Tiffany could swear she hated the smile the most for now. Tiffany didn’t say anything but Taeyeon mentally could see that smokes went out from her nose.

 

“If you can’t pay it with money, you can pay it with your effort. You are still young. You have a lot of energy. It shouldn’t be wasted in a bad way, right?” Taeyeon said.

 

“ you.”

 

“How old are you?” Taeyeon ignored the rude remarks.

 

“21.”

 

“I’m 25. You are younger than me.”

 

“I could swear that you look like 17 though.” Tiffany annoyingly stated.

 

“I get that a lot. So, Tiffany. Work for me?”

 

“What if I say no?” Tiffany challenged.

 

“Let’s go to Police Station then. You know you are not capable of fighting against me. So, either work for me or go to Police Station. It’s your choice.” Taeyeon propped her chin on her palm, leaning into Tiffany’s face.

 

“I will provide you with a living place, food, and clothes. Perhaps even some money if you work extra. What do you say?” Taeyeon walked around the kitchen island, toward Tiffany.

 

“Why are you doing this to me? You don’t even know who I really am.” Tiffany sighed. She knew she didn’t have much choice and eventually she would say to Taeyeon that she agreed with working with her.

 

“Because I know you are not a bad person. Yet, your situation forces you to be. You can still change your faith if you want and let’s just say God sent me to give you that chance.” Taeyeon walked to the living room. Tiffany followed her.

 

“Nonsense. I have stopped believing in God since the day of my life’s ruined. He wasn’t there! He didn’t help me. He let me being bullied and humiliated by people. I hate God! He doesn’t exist for me!” Tiffany suddenly snapped, surprising Taeyeon.

 

“Whoa, calm down Fany. That’s why I am here. He wants to help you through me. So, please accept my offer?” Taeyeon didn’t know why she would go to that extend to help this woman. Tiffany was right, she didn’t even know her. They were strangers 2 hours ago. Tiffany was a thief while Taeyeon was the one who captured her.

 

“Do I have any other choice?”

 

“You do, but please don’t take the hard way.”

 

“Okay then. What do you want me to be? Your maid? I can’t do that. I can’t cook, I can’t do laundry, I can’t clean up. I am pretty much useless for you, Taeyeon.” Tiffany scoffed.

 

“You can simply be my best friend. I always busy with work that I only have few friends. I got carried away with my surroundings; guests, boss, employees that I don’t even have a lover. Be there for me, be my friend, be someone I can talk to. We will do our own chores. I will cook while you wash the plates.” Taeyeon paused, ensuring that Tiffany was paying attention to her.

 

“I will teach you to do the laundry. I will clean my bedroom while you clean yours. It won’t be hard. I swear. I won’t order you around and treat you like a maid. Instead, treat me as your friend. Okay?” Taeyeon scooted closer.

 

“That’s all?” Tiffany still couldn’t believe her luck. Since she stepped onto the 20th year of her life; luck was never on her side anymore.

 

She was rich, beautiful, and admired by men back on campus. If anything, she was also smart and generous. She was loved by lecturers and even strangers. She was happy and thought things would stay like that until she found her own prince and finally left her mansion. But, her story didn’t meet its happy ending. Her father was caught cheating, making him fired and humiliated by his friends at work.

 

Soon after, he got fired and her mother left her along with her father. Her friends eventually stayed away from her. Her best friends became her enemies that finally, she got no one. She was abandoned not only by her mother but also by the world. Her father was in a huge debt that her mansion had to be sold. One day, she found a letter from her father. It turned out that he left her along with his debt. The mansion along with its content was taken away from her, including her cars and jewelry. Since that day, she never felt the comfort of the bed or the love from parents. She was alone, trying to stay alive in this cruel world. Well, perhaps until she met this Taeyeon.

 

“That’s all.” Taeyeon nodded. And that’s also the very start of their story. Enemies had become strangers and ended up as best friends. Could it be more than that? Who knew~

---

 

Ever since they became much closer than ever. Tiffany was unexpectedly loud, easygoing, and cheerful. She was very open, unlike Taeyeon that was in fact introverted and quiet, especially in new places or when she faced a new person. People said you would feel how lonely you’re when you had too much spare time but when you got too busy with work and all, you wouldn’t notice that you’re actually lonely. That’s what Taeyeon felt too, well until Tiffany came into her life.

 

Taeyeon had learnt that Tiffany was moody at times, particularly when she was having her period. She would be cranky when she found Taeyeon’s room was untidy. When she was kind enough, she would Taeyeon to clean up her room but when she didn’t feel like it, she would come into Taeyeon’s room, cross her hands on her chest, and sat on Taeyeon’s bed while waiting for the latter to vacuum and clean up her room.

 

Taeyeon’s world became brighter. Having someone who had different personalities was fun, at least for Taeyeon. Taeyeon taught Tiffany how to cook patiently. She taught her to peel fruits, slice onions, heat the frying pan, etc. In merely 3 months, Tiffany was able to cook simple cooks, such as fried rice and chicken soup. Fortunately, she was happy with cooking. That put Taeyeon at ease since it would be easier for her to teach Tiffany how to cook.

 

Taeyeon worked in a five-star hotel as Station Chef, particularly in the grilling station. She was young but she was talented. She had talents not only in grilling but also in other fields. Good thing that her Sous Chef acknowledged her talent that he trusted Taeyeon to try other stations as well. In merely 2 years, she had become Sous Chef in that well-known hotel. Taeyeon diligently taught Tiffany everything that she knew, in the hope Tiffany could work with her.

 

She did it. After one and a half year living together under one roof, Taeyeon could finally take Tiffany to work with her. She surely started as Prep Cook but Tiffany didn’t mind. Before, Taeyeon allowed Tiffany to work as a waiter in the same hotel where Taeyeon worked. They went to and from work together. They were indirectly inseparable from each other.

 

Both of them had different friends. Taeyeon’s friend came from college and some who worked as employees in the hotel while Tiffany’s friends were mostly waiters & waitress, just like her. They got along with each other’s friends nicely. But, when they were going out together with friends, sometimes their friends couldn’t comprehend what’s in their minds; Taeyeon and Tiffany would only need to meet the eyes and they would laugh like they just saw or heard the funniest thing in the world.

 

Tiffany said, ‘If you’re not Taetae and you’re not me, then you wouldn’t understand’. Guess what? Tiffany was totally right. It’s like they were in their own world that’s unreachable for their friends. There were times that their friends let them two alone, lost in their own world, in the corner of the room while the others were busy queuing to sing in the karaoke.

 

“Tiff~” Tiffany heard her friend calling her. She stopped playing with her phone and turned her head around.

 

“What are you doing here? Waiting for Taeyeon?” It was Hani, Tiffany’s friend who worked as Station Chef and also came from America.

 

“Yeah. Are you done? How about Taeyeon?” She smiled at Hani.

 

“She’s still checking ingredients for tomorrow and put aside the rotten ones. Can I talk to you for a moment?” Hani pulled the chair in front of Tiffany and sat on it.

 

“Sure. What is it? Are you okay?” Tiffany put her phone down, didn’t forget to lock it beforehand.

 

“I am. I’m just curious.” Hani started.

 

“About?”

 

“You and Taeyeon.”

 

“Oh. What about her?” Tiffany asked.

 

“Have you ever fought?”

 

“Well, duh. We live under one roof with room beside each other. Of course, we have our portions of the fight, but we always manage to reconcile before a day pass. It’s our rule, you know to fight and reconcile on the same day. Why do you ask?” Tiffany chuckled, hearing the too innocent question from Hani.

 

“Nothing. Well.. Are you sure you’re only her best friend?” Hani pried further.

 

“Of course! She is my bestest friend!” Tiffany exclaimed proudly.

 

“How did you two meet? I mean, she’s much older than you.” Hani asked.

 

“She is my angel. I didn’t know what I would’ve become if she didn’t find me that day. Well it’s a long story but let’s just say.. she saved my life.” Tiffany smiled.

 

“Why did you suddenly ask something like that?” Now it’s time for Tiffany to ask. She didn’t know what Hani meant by asking such questions but she didn’t want to assume.

 

“Can I be honest with you?” Tiffany nodded her head.

 

“Uhmm.. If I didn’t know you two any better, I would have thought of you two as a couple. Uhm.. like lovers?” Hani said hesitantly.

 

“WHAT?! Why did you think like that?! We’re just best friends! Nothing more~ She treats me like her younger sister. There is nothing going on between us.” Tiffany explained meticulously.

 

“How about you? Are you sure you don’t feel anything else aside of sisterly love toward her?” Hani’s question startled Tiffany. She never thought about that before. Did she feel a different kind of love toward Taeyeon?

 

“N-no.” Tiffany sounded unsure.

 

“I don’t know.” She quickly corrected it.

 

“Maybe you don’t know because you never thought about it.” Tiffany stayed silent.

 

“She’s not getting younger. Eventually, she will need to find someone and settle down, which means you have to live separately. It’s just advice. Ignore it if you don’t love her that way. But if you do, you better make your moves.” Hani smiled.

 

“Taetae will never leave me.” Tiffany felt like crying already just by imagining that someday soon, Taeyeon would leave her.

 

“Even if she didn’t, I’m not sure her husband would want you to stay with her. Just saying~ Think about it, Tiff.” Hani replied.

 

“I gotta go. Besides, your Taetae is here already. See you at work tomorrow.” Hani stood up and waved at Taeyeon before she left the hall.

 

“Hey. Did you wait long?” Taeyeon smiled. Tiffany didn’t say anything.

 

“Fany-ah. Are you alright?” Taeyeon tapped Tiffany’s shoulder.

 

“O-oh. You’re done?” Tiffany’s smile didn’t reach her eyes. She still thought of the conversation she just had with Hani. Was it possible for her to feel that way toward Taeyeon? What’s scarier was, could Taeyeon love her that way?

 

“You look pale. Are you sure you’re okay? Come, let’s go home. I will make you warm milk later.” Taeyeon didn’t hesitate to hold onto Tiffany’s palm and gripped it tenderly. She kept holding Tiffany’s hand while walking to Taeyeon’s car.

 

“Today’s work is tiring, huh?” Taeyeon said.

 

“Y-yeah. It is.” Tiffany shortly replied. She could feel her heart bit a bit faster than usual. She looked down, at their intertwined hands, and weirdly, she felt her face warm. Could it be.. Tiffany shook her head rapidly just by thinking bluntly like that.

 

“Hey, what is wrong?” Taeyeon stopped. Tiffany abruptly stopped that she collided with Taeyeon’s body.

 

“You’re slightly warm. Are you sick,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter