Caught in the Kitchen

Stay Away From Me

As the hours passed in the kitchen with Jimin, I realized the gravity of what we had done. I had made out with Jimin in the broom closet! Did I lose my common sense along with my shirt? What the had I been thinking?

I hadn’t been thinking, of course, of anything except Jimin and the undeniable and unbearable between us. It had been so long since we had been together. I missed the ways our bodies used to intertwine. I wanted to be together with him again.

But I didn’t want to get back together with him.

It had literally been a day since he reappeared in my life after a practically traumatizing three month absence. Making out with me in the broom closet wasn’t enough to win me over again.

He left me. It wasn’t like we had had just some little fight that could be easily resolved. He abandoned me because of his insecurities, even while I was telling him that I loved him. He wasn’t going to be forgiven so easily. No matter how well he kissed me or how hot and bothered he made me.

 

“Babe.” Jimin waved a hand in front of my face. “Stop spacing out.”

“Don’t call me babe.” I said automatically.

Jimin sighed. “Why can’t you just be honest with yourself?”

We had finally finished all of the dishes and had just been chatting for the past twenty minutes. We didn’t talk about anything painful; just things like work and delicious foods we had eaten recently. It had been surprisingly comfortable between us considering our recent make out session. Until Jimin had called me babe and opened the can of worms.

“What do you mean?” I yawned and stretched. The work day was almost over and I felt ready for a nap. I hopped up onto the countertop to be more comfortable.

Jimin, obviously irritated by my inattention, came over and stood right in front of me. He placed his hands on the countertop on either side of me and leaned in. Seriously, he was so beautiful. People shouldn’t be allowed to be y and cute and normal all at the same time.

“Why are you still acting like this? Did those kisses mean nothing to you?” His eyes smoldered at me in annoyance.

I blushed. “I’m not having this conversation with you, Jimin.”

“Which conversation? The one where you’re actually honest for once?”

I rolled my eyes. “For someone who left me because you were insecure about my feelings, you sure are confident about them now.”

Jimin flushed. “Why do you have to be like this?” He muttered. “Isn’t it a good thing if I’m confident now?”

“Why? We’re not getting back together.” I told him seriously.

He knit his eyebrows together and frowned at me. “Why the hell not? Are you really going to be like this?”

“Like what, Jimin? Just because we kissed in the closet doesn’t mean that you’re allowed back in my life. Now stop making that scary face.” I poked him between his eyebrows.

“What is it going to take for you to change your mind?” He demanded angrily, waving my hand away. “What do I have to do to get you to trust me again?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Jimin pointed at me warningly. “Don’t play with me.”

“I don’t know; I kind of want to.” I smirked at him. “I think it’d be fun to give you a run for your money. See how much this is really worth to you.”

“What’s so good about a girl like you that I should work this hard?” Jimin grumbled. He sighed impatiently and ran a hand through his hair.

“I don’t know, Jimin, you tell me. You should know, if you’re so in love with me.” I flipped my hair and examined my nails.

“Yeah, I do know, and because I love you I also know all the bad things.” He stuck his tongue out at me.

“I don’t have any bad points.” I crossed my legs and continued to act indifferent. “You should be thankful that you once had a girl like me as your girlfriend.”

 “You’re impossible.” Jimin flicked my forehead. I glanced up with a scowl. He smiled innocently and I kicked him in the chest. “Ow, what the ? What an uncalled for reaction.”

“Listen, Jimin, if you wanna get back with me, you’re going to have to work harder. Being physically affectionate with me isn’t gonna change anything in the long run. You’ve gotta prove you’re boyfriend material.”

“Hasn’t our whole relationship proved that I’m boyfriend material?” Jimin hopped up on the counter next to me and laid his head on my shoulder.

I shrugged him off. “Nope. All of it went out the window when you broke up with me. You have to start from scratch.”

“What? That’s seriously unfair.” Jimin whined. He put his head back on my shoulder and slung an arm around my waist.

“No, what’s unfair is you breaking up with me and then coming back and expecting that I’ll forgive you after one day. Grow up, Jimin.”

“I’m sorry.” He murmured. He kissed my shoulder. “I’m just frustrated. I just want to be with you, baby.”

“Well then, do your best. And don’t just try and seduce me.”

 

“Ah…so you guys had a relationship like that.”

I glanced up to see Young Jae standing in the kitchen doorway, studying us.

He walked over to us and I felt myself shrink inside with each step he took. Jimin lifted up his head and pulled me tighter to him.

“I knew something like this was up with you two.” Young Jae said.

“Sorry for not telling you.” I apologized in a small voice.

Young Jae turned his gaze to me. His eyes bored into mine. “I knew it would come out sooner or later.” He said softly.

“If you understand, you should leave.” Jimin said belligerently.

Young Jae ignored him and instead addressed his next question to me.

“Do you want me to leave?” His tone and his eyes became gentle.

“Yes.” Jimin muttered under his breath.

“Jimin, go outside for a minute.” I ordered him.

“Babe…” He pouted at me. I shot him a look and jumped off the counter.

“Young Jae, let’s talk outside.” I took his hand and led him out the back door.

 

“You still love him, don’t you?” Young Jae asked me once we were outside.

“Yes.” I replied honestly. “You knew that already. You just didn’t know it was Jimin.”

Young Jae winced and rubbed the back of his neck. “To be honest, it doesn’t feel good to hear this.”

“I’m sorry.” I said quietly. “I really should have told you before, but I felt awkward. I honestly didn’t expect Jimin to come back into my life like this. It’s only been a day or two.”

Young Jae sighed. “If I was a good guy, I’d let it go and I’d let you go. But I feel like I’ve come too far to give up now. Even if you tell me to leave, I’m going to stay.”

“Young Jae…” I began, but he cut me off.

“No, don’t say anything. I’m sorry for being like this, but I really believe that I can be better for you than him. I won’t leave you like he did.” Young Jae took my hand in his.

I withdrew my hand gently. “Young Jae, I don’t want to be wishy-washy about this. I appreciate your feelings, but I really don’t think I’m in a place to accept them right now. Even if Jimin wasn’t here, I would still love him. But him being here makes everything even more complicated. I’m very confused and I honestly don’t think that this is a good time to try and pursue another romantic relationship.”

Young Jae ignored me and pulled me close to him. He looped his arms around my waist and leaned in close to my face. “Confused is good. It means I’ve still got a chance.” He kissed me before I could duck out of his grasp.

I swiftly broke the kiss and shoved him away from me. “That’s not what I meant and you know it.” I glared up at him and purposely wiped my lips off. “How dare you kiss me like that after I just told you I didn’t think now was a good time? Do you think that this is going to win over my heart?”

Young Jae had the decency to look abashed. “I just don’t want to lose you.” He said softly.

“Well, consider me lost. Don’t act like you know me from now on.” I spat. I my heel and banged open the kitchen door, fuming.

 

Jimin jumped at the noise. “Are you okay?” He asked me. “Did he do something to you?”

“I can handle it.” I snapped. “I’ve dealt with enough of your to know how to handle boys.”

“Damn, he must have done something bad.” Jimin hopped off the counter and walked over to me. “Do you want me to say something?”

“Of course not.” I wiped off my lips again for good measure.

“Why are you wiping your lips? Did he kiss you?” Jimin demanded, furious. “Did that bastard seriously kiss you without asking?”

“You ing do it all the time.” I told him.

“Yeah, but you want it.” He said seriously. For once I was speechless. I couldn’t argue with that.

“I’m going to punch that creep.” Jimin fumed. He headed for the door, ready to duel Young Jae. I grabbed his arm to stop him before the melodrama began.

 “Can you please just relax? It was just a kiss.”

“Why are you being so casual about it?!” Jimin cried. “I’m so angry right now; I can only imagine how you feel.”

“A little violated.” I admitted. “It’s not like we haven’t kissed before, but I had just told him that I wanted to end things. That’s what really pisses me off.”

“You’ve kissed before?” Jimin asked incredulously. I couldn’t tell if he was mad or just shocked. “You’ve kissed someone who’s not me?”

“I’ve kissed quite a few guys who aren’t you.” I pointed out.

“Yeah, but you love me now. And you’re running around kissing other guys!” Jimin pulled his hair with his hands.

“Would you relax? We’re broken up; I can kiss whoever I damn well please.”

 

Young Jae chose this time to re-enter the kitchen.

“Listen, I’m really sorry.” He said to me.

“Shut the up.” Jimin snapped at him. “How dare you kiss her after she told you she didn’t want to be with you?”

“Jimin, shut up. You’re being incredibly hypocritical right now.” I shot him a look. He flushed and shut his mouth. “Listen, Young Jae. I’ve really appreciated your friendship over the past month and I honestly don’t know how I could have made it without you. But I want to make one thing clear to you: I don’t want to date you right now. I know I said I was willing to before, but some things have changed and I don’t think it’s fair to you to keep this going on.”

“But I don’t care! I don’t care if you still love him!” Young Jae insisted. He started to move closer to me, but stopped when Jimin glared at him and hovered protectively around me. I felt like I had a guard dog.

“Yeah, but I do.” I said softly. Jimin turned to look at me, hope blooming all over his features. “I can’t deal with all of this at once.” I continued. “If you’re willing to remain friends, let’s be friends, but I can’t get involved romantically with you right now.”

Young Jae shook his head. “I’m not going to back down. I like you and I want to be with you.”

“Well, that’s not what I want. I’m really sorry, Young Jae. I know this is unfair to you, but I’m just not interested in anything more than friendship.” I offered up a small smile.

Young Jae closed the distance between us and took my hands in his. Jimin let out a sound remarkably similar to a growl. I looked over at him warningly. “Down, boy.” I smirked. He glowered at me in return.

Young Jae ignored him and stared at me beseechingly. “What’s so good about him? Don’t you remember how miserable you were when he broke up with you? You’re just now ready to move on! Why are you going back to someone like him?”

I slid my hands out of Young Jae’s grasp. “Thanks for being a good friend to me. I’m sorry it had to end this way.” I stood on my tiptoes and pecked his cheek. I heard Jimin gasp and rolled my eyes internally. Really, he was such an overgrown child.

“This isn’t over between us.” Young Jae insisted. He walked out of the kitchen without another word.

 

I let out a long sigh. What an eventful two days. I resumed my seat on the counter, ignoring Jimin’s glare.

He came over and scowled at me with his arms crossed. “Stop kissing other guys. Don’t kiss anyone who’s not me from now on.”

I rolled my eyes. “Like I said, we’re broken up. I can kiss whomever I want.”

“Yeah, you can.” Jimin agreed. “But I know that you only want to kiss me.”

“You’re really full of confidence lately. Or full of , I can’t tell.”

Jimin shrugged. “What can I say? It’s the new and improved me.”

“Or the new and annoying you.” I retorted. “Like, back off for one minute. We’re not even dating!”

“Nah, we’re not.” Jimin hopped up next to me. He nudged me playfully with his shoulder. “But we will be.”

“You’re in a much better mood than this morning.” I replied.

“That’s because I’m wearing you down.” He wrapped an arm around my waist and hugged me close to him. “You won’t be able to resist me for long.”

I pushed him away. “It’s not that hard; trust me. I spent most of our relationship resisting you. I’m pretty good at it.”

“Yeah, but that was when you could get some at any time. Now the river of love has hit a dam. I’m sure you’re feeling frustrated.” Jimin smirked at me.

“Gross.” I grimaced. “I did not miss this.”

 

Jimin sighed happily.

“What are you so cheerful about?” I grumbled.

“I’m happy to be next to you again. I’m happy that it feels amazing and not painful.” He glanced over at me with soft eyes. “I’m happy that you’re willing to give me another chance.”

I looked away from that gentle expression. “I never said I was giving you a second chance.” I murmured. “I just said you had to try.”

Jimin pulled me into his lap. He tucked my hair behind my ear and smiled at me. “Yeah, but this morning you said nothing would change your mind. So forgive me if I’ve become hopeful.”

“You’re really being too optimistic about this.” I warned him. “Wanting to make out with you and wanting to get back together with you are two very different things.”

Jimin tsked. “What kind of mentality is that? You should kiss the people you love. Speaking of which, I’m pretty sure you recently kissed someone you didn’t love. I should disinfect your lips with my kiss of true love.” He leaned in to press his lips to mine, but I threw up a hand and blocked him.

“First off, that was cheesy as hell. Keep your corny lips away from me. Second, my mouth is not something for you to disinfect like a toy you got back after some other kid played with it. You’re making me feel dirty.” I glared at him and tried to slide off his lap.

Jimin swiftly wrapped his arms around me and held me close to him. “Sorry, baby. I’m just jealous.”

“Well, control yourself.” I muttered. “It’s embarrassing for both of us.”

 

“What’s embarrassing is this outlandish display of affection during work hours.” Jimin’s mom said crossly from the kitchen doorway. Damn it, how many times were we going to get caught today? How did people enter the kitchen so quietly?

I turned beet red and tried to stand up, but Jimin tightened his hold on me and grinned at his mom.

“Isn’t it great?” He chirped cheerfully.

His mom grimaced in return. “It’d be great if you didn’t reconcile at work.”

“We’re not reconciled.” I corrected her quietly. “Jimin is just taking advantage of my confusion at the moment.”

Mrs. Park nodded wisely. “Young Jae seems to be willing to do the same thing. What, did he catch you two as well? He’s been muttering angrily to himself and scaring all the customers for the past fifteen minutes.”

“Yeah, she broke up with him for me.” Jimin crowed. He kissed my ear.

“Jimin! What are you doing in front of your mother?” I demanded, embarrassed and irritated. His mom was going to think I was a -crazed maniac if he kept this up. “And I did not break up with him for you. I did it for my own peace of mind. I can only have one fool driving me crazy at a time.”

“Yeah, crazy with love.” Jimin joked. He bent his head down and kissed my neck. I looked at his mom desperately, hoping she would rescue me. She was shaking with suppressed laughter.

“Mrs. Park! How can you laugh while your son is doing this to me?” I whined.

 

“What is he doing to you?” Mr. Park appeared behind his wife. He caught sight of us and frowned. “Jimin! Stop that right now. This is a place of business.”

“Yes, Dad.” Jimin released me and I jumped down instantly. I felt excruciatingly embarrassed. Damn it, Jimin was still getting me into situations like this even when we weren’t together.

“Sweetheart,” Mr. Park said to me. “Are you ready to go? We’re going to have barbecue for dinner. We thought we should celebrate Jimin coming home.”

I didn’t really see anything to celebrate, but I smiled and nodded. “That sounds delicious.”

“Let’s go.” Jimin hopped off the counter and grabbed my hand. He laced his fingers through mine and the four of us walked out into the dining area like that.

Young Jae was still out there busing tables. He looked up when we entered and his gaze immediately fell to mine and Jimin’s interlaced hands. He flushed and looked away. When he glanced back up, he gazed into my eyes with a dejected expression, like I had betrayed him. I supposed I had. Feeling guilty, I tried to free my hand from Jimin’s, but he only held it tighter.

“Bye, Young Jae!” Jimin smirked and waggled his fingers as Young Jae glared at him.

I left the restaurant with mixed feelings. Everything had happened so quickly. Had I made the right decision?