Only You

Stay Away From Me

We finally emerged from my apartment that same morning and headed to his parents’ restaurant for work. It was within walking distance, so we held hands and chatted as we made our way there.

“You know, we have to see Young Jae at work today.” I reminded Jimin.

“Ugh.” He grunted. “How unpleasant.” He squeezed my hand tighter.

“I still don’t really get why you hate him, but please be nice to him.” I pleaded.

Jimin shook his head. “I’ll be polite, but I’m not going out of my way to be nice to someone who’s kissed you.”

I laughed. “You’re so childish! Like, for real, let it go.”

Jimin turned his head to scowl at me and almost tripped over a rock. I giggled at him.

“Would you be able to let something like that go?” He demanded.

I thought about it for a moment. “I wouldn’t like it. But I’m not really the jealous type.”

“Should I kiss someone in front of you so you can see how it feels?” Jimin grumbled.

“Yeah, and then you could see how it feels to be broken up with me again.” I retorted.

“Would you really break up with me if I kissed somebody else?” Jimin asked curiously. He brought my hand to his lips and kissed it.

“Yeah, Jimin.” I said. “Kissing is cheating. It’s cheating! Don’t kiss other girls.”

“I’m not going to.” Jimin assured me. “I just didn’t think you would have such an extreme reaction about it.”

“Are you really telling me that you wouldn’t break up with me if you caught me kissing some other guy?” I demanded, disbelief coloring my tone.

Jimin shrugged. “We would have to talk about it. But I would probably want to keep you.”

“Yeah right.” I snorted. “Like three days ago, you were all like ‘How can you let Young Jae touch you like that?’ and when Young Jae was just going to give me an innocent kiss on the forehead, you snatched me away and acted so possessive. ‘Don’t ing touch her!’ Like my bodyguard or something.” I snickered at his stormy expression.

“My voice does not sound that goonish.” Jimin snapped. “If I ever catch you kissing Young Jae, we’re over.”

“Oh, c’mon, honey. Why only Young Jae?” I whined, teasing Jimin.

“Because he’s the most likely person I’d catch you kissing. Also I hate him.” Jimin muttered.

“What if Young Jae kisses me?” I asked innocently.

 

Jimin stopped suddenly and yanked me close to him. He leaned down and got right in my face. His eyes narrowed threateningly and I felt a little intimidated. Was he joking or not?

“If Young Jae ever kisses you, I will kick his . And I’ll sleep at my parents’ for a week.” Jimin growled. He took my face in his hands and kissed me roughly. “You’re mine.” He whispered. “Don’t let other men touch you.”

I shoved him away from me, really annoyed that I was a little by his childish possessiveness. “You sound exactly like the type of boy I’ve always hated.” I grumbled. I pressed my cold hands to my cheeks to cover my blush.

“I’m just letting you know.” Jimin said as he slung an arm around my waist and pinned me to his side. “Young Jae is off-limits.”

“But other boys aren’t?” I grinned up at him hopefully. He frowned down at me.

“What other boys do you wanna kiss?” He muttered. “Just kiss me! Be satisfied with that!”

“Listen…if Taeyang comes up to me and says, ‘Hey, baby, let’s make out,’ I’m not gonna refuse.” I giggled.

Jimin sighed. “Did you have to choose Taeyang? I don’t want to have to hate him.”

I shrugged. “Sorry, honey. I’d leave you for Taeyang.”

“Fine!” Jimin cried. “I’d leave you for…, I don’t know. I’ll think of someone and then you’ll be angry.”

“I doubt it.” I laughed. “You’d never find someone better than me.”

“Beyoncé! I would leave you for Beyoncé.” Jimin decided triumphantly. I promptly burst out laughing. Jimin glared at me. “Why the are you laughing so much?” He snapped.

“I’m sorry, honey. But you could never get Beyoncé.” I giggled helplessly. “Never, ever. Not in a million years.”

“Oh, and you could get Taeyang? Since when did you become such a femme fatale?” Jimin accused. We had reached the back door of the restaurant. Jimin let go of my waist and I danced away from him.

“Since always, baby boy. How do you think I snagged you?” I winked at him before disappearing into the restaurant.

 

I bumped into Young Jae as soon as I entered. He held a trash bag, probably on his way to the dumpster outside.

“Hi.” I said awkwardly.

“Hi.” Young Jae smiled softly at me. “How are you?”

“I’m, um, I’m good.” I told him. “How are you?”

He shrugged and placed the trash bag on the floor. “You know. Just…um, waiting to hear from you.”

I flushed. “Sorry for never getting back to you. I’ve been kind of…busy.”

 

 

Jimin opened the kitchen door with a bang. “Hey, baby, is my mom in here? I don’t wanna get caught being late.” He said to me as he shrugged out of his jacket.

Young Jae and I both looked at him in silence for a moment before he spotted us. Jimin’s pleasant expression immediately faded.

“Hi, Young Jae.” He grumbled rudely. I rolled my eyes. This was his idea of polite?

“Hi, Jimin.” Young Jae grumbled back. Great. I could already tell that this would be a fun day at work.

 

Young Jae tapped me on the shoulder. I started, surprised, before turning around to look at him. He laughed softly at me.

“I still can’t get over how jumpy you are.” He smiled at me affectionately.

I flushed. I could feel Jimin glaring daggers into the back of my head. “Yeah, it’s very annoying. People are always trying to scare me.”

“I can see why. You’re so cute when you’re scared.” Young Jae pinched my cheek. Jimin cleared his throat loudly behind me.

“Thank you.” I mumbled. Jimin kicked the heel of my foot. “Ow!” I snapped, shooting him a dirty look.

“It was an accident.” He shrugged.

Young Jae ignored our interaction and turned my attention back to him. “Hey. Are you free after work today?” He asked me quietly.

“Um…I don’t have any set plans.” I told him. Jimin grunted softly behind me. I was going to hear about this later.

“Would you wanna go out for some tea? Maybe dessert at that place we went to last time?” Young Jae sounded a little desperate.

“Uh, I don’t know…” I hesitated. Young Jae looked at me pleadingly.

“Please? Just to talk. I just wanna talk. I won’t kiss you, I promise.” He wheedled.

“You’re damn right you won’t.” Jimin said gruffly from behind me. I turned to look at him. He was glowering at Young Jae. I glanced at Young Jae, who was glaring back at Jimin.

“I’m very uncomfortable right now.” I said, stepping out from in between the two of them.

They both ignored me.

“She and I are dating.” Jimin informed Young Jae. “So please don’t kiss my girlfriend. And after this time, don’t ask her out again.”

“She can decide that for herself.” Young Jae spat. “We’re just friends.”

“Oh please.” Jimin scoffed. “You’ve never been capable of being friends with any girl.”

“I’ve changed!” Young Jae said heatedly. “Besides, we were friends first. Just because I have feelings for her doesn’t mean I can’t respect her as a person.”

“Maybe that’s true.” Jimin allowed. “But I don’t like this.” He said, turning to me. “I’m not comfortable with this at all.”

I held up my hands. “Let’s just talk about it later.”

Young Jae sighed and Jimin rolled his eyes.

“Just go do your jobs.” I huffed. “We’re at work, not in a television show. Stop being so damn dramatic.”

 

Young Jae sullenly picked up the trash bag and went outside. Jimin visibly sulked as he put on his apron and gloves. I joined him at the sink and pulled on an apron of my own.

“Can you help me tie this, please?” I looked over my shoulder at Jimin and turned my back towards him. He ignored me. “Please? I can’t do it on my own.”

“I’ll do it.” Young Jae offered, returning from taking the trash outside.

Before Young Jae could come close to me, Jimin snatched up the apron strings and tied them roughly. He left a soft kiss on my bare neck. Probably marking his territory in front of Young Jae. .

Young Jae took it in stride and ruffled my hair as he passed by us on his way out of the kitchen. Jimin let out an exasperated sigh as the door slammed shut behind Young Jae.

“I hate that guy.” He muttered.

“Can you not act like this?” I asked curtly. “It is so childish and very irritating to me. Both of you.”

“Don’t put me in the same category as that guy!” Jimin cried.

“You’re right. Young Jae is acting a little more mature than you.” I said waspishly. “You need to take it down a notch. I don’t like feeling like a plaything you two are fighting over. I’m your girlfriend. Stop feeling so threatened.”

“I don’t feel threatened.” Jimin mumbled.

“Right.” I agreed sarcastically. “That’s why you’re acting like this in front of Young Jae. Puffing your chest out like a damn peacock. Kissing me in front of him like you’re marking your property. No, you’re not feeling threatened at all.”

“Fine!” Jimin cried. “I feel threatened. I feel threatened because you’re about to go out with a guy you used to date.”

“One ing date does not qualify as dating!” I exclaimed for the millionth time. “Damn it, Jimin. How many times do we have to have this conversation?”

“Until it makes sense to you! Stop hanging out with him!” Jimin demanded. “Just ing stop being nice to him.”

“Just wash the damn dishes.” I snapped. Jimin pinched me before he handed me a wet plate.

 

We cleaned the dishes in moody silence for a while. I didn’t mind Jimin’s behavior so much as his attitude behind it. Why was he feeling threatened by Young Jae? I really did break it off with Young Jae for him, so why did Jimin still feel like he had something to worry about? Did he still not trust me?

“Don’t go.” Jimin broke the silence with a quiet plea.

“Why not?” I asked, still feeling irritated.

“Because I don’t like it. , I hate it, actually.” Jimin sighed as he turned and leaned against the sink. He glanced at me before looking down at his feet. “I just don’t want you to go.”

“I know.” I told him gently. “I get it. I really do. But I owe this to Young Jae, okay?”

“I don’t get it.” Jimin said sulkily. “You don’t owe him anything.”

“Yeah, I do.” I insisted softly. “Young Jae was a really good friend to me during our breakup. He helped me get through a really hard time and I’m not about to drop him just because you’re back in my life. I’ll definitely put up boundaries in our relationship, but I don’t feel comfortable cutting him out completely.”

“Baby, please.” Jimin pleaded with me. He looked up into my eyes sadly. “Can’t you just do this for me?”

“Can’t you just do this for me?” I turned it around on him. “If Young Jae can’t get his feelings under control, then I’ll cut it off, okay? But I value his friendship.”

“Why?” Jimin asked. His voice was almost a whine. “What’s so good about a guy like that?”

“He asks me the same thing about you.” I grumbled. “What exactly happened between you two? He seemed pretty happy to see you when you first got here.”

Jimin brushed that away with a wave of his hand. “That’s because he’s fake. And before he knew I was your ex-boyfriend.”

“Listen, I don’t know what went down between you guys, but Young Jae has been nothing but sweet to me. He’s the reason I could even kind of make it through our breakup. Him, and your mom.” I added.

Jimin glared at me. “Don’t do that.” He pointed accusingly at me.

“Do what?” I asked, taken aback.

“Don’t guilt me into letting you hang out with Young Jae.” Jimin warned.

“Okay, first of all, you’re not ‘letting’ me do anything. You’re my boyfriend, not my owner. Secondly, I’m just telling you the truth. I’m not trying to guilt you. It’s just a fact. We broke up, Young Jae helped me get through it.” I angrily dried a pair of chopsticks, wondering if I should just stab Jimin with them. Where did he get off acting so superior?

“I’m asking you as your boyfriend to not go. For me, please.” Jimin requested softly.

“And I’m telling you as your girlfriend that your jealousy has gone far enough. It was cute, but now it’s just really annoying. You need to get it under control. Why are you even jealous? I specifically chose you over him. Why don’t you trust me?”

“It’s not you I don’t trust.” Jimin muttered.

I rolled my eyes. “Right. Sure.”

“No, I’m serious.” Jimin looked up into my eyes. “I trust you! I just don’t trust Young Jae. I feel like you’re being really naïve about this whole situation.”

“I’m not naïve!” I cried. “What even do you think is going to happen? We’re going to be in a public area. I’m not going to ing cheat on you, Jimin. Get yourself together.”

“I’m not saying that!” Jimin shouted at me. I glared at him.

“Don’t raise your voice at me right now.” I hissed. “We’re at work and I’ve had it up to here with your . Just shut up and do your job.”

“Don’t talk to me like you’re my mother.” Jimin sneered.

“Don’t talk to me at all.” I retorted.

 

“I just don’t get why you have to go.” Jimin persisted. I answered him with a stony silence.

He sighed and handed me a plate. I snatched it from him forcefully.

“Baby, just talk to me.” He pleaded.

“I have nothing to say to you.” I spat.

“Baby, please.” He tugged on my sleeve. “I don’t want to fight.”

“Then don’t start with me, Jimin.” I yanked my arm out of his grasp.

“Why are you so mad?” Jimin gave up trying to touch me and turned back to the dishes.

“Because you’re being really unreasonable. I just feel like this is coming from a place of insecurity and you still don’t trust that I love you.” I explained, still angry.

“I already told you that Young Jae makes me feel insecure.” Jimin reminded me quietly. “It’s killing me to even think of you hanging out with him.”

I finished drying the bowl in my hand and turned to him. “Jimin.” I called.

He put down his dish and faced me.

“You’re not going to like what I have to say. But please, just listen.” I requested.

Jimin nodded.

“I understand your insecurities. If I was in your position, I wouldn’t like it either. But the fact is that we broke up and some things changed. Young Jae is one of those changes.” Jimin opened his mouth to interrupt, but I held up my hand. “Listen. I already told him that if he isn’t comfortable being just friends, then our relationship is over. But if he is comfortable being friends, then I want to at least hang out with him occasionally. We’re not going to be best friends like we used to be. Yes, Jimin, he was a best friend to me.” I added, seeing Jimin’s skeptical expression. “He wasn’t just a guy I dated. Okay? He’s my friend. And you need to learn how to handle that. I promise you that I won’t do anything that will make you uncomfortable.”

“This whole thing makes me uncomfortable!” Jimin cried. “Why do you need a best guy friend when I’m here? I’m your best friend!”

“Yeah, you are.” I agreed quietly. “And I just told you that Young Jae isn’t going to be playing that role in my life anymore. But I’m not about to cut him out of my life just because you feel insecure.”

“Why not?” Jimin demanded. “How are we going to make this work if you’re still hanging out with a guy who makes me feel like you’re going to leave me for him?”

“I knew it.” I pointed at him accusingly. “I knew you felt that way. How many times do I have to tell you that I want you and only you? I told Young Jae I didn’t want to pursue a romantic relationship with him for you, Jimin. Because I wanted to make it work with you. Hell, even before I had even decided I wanted to make it work with you, I already cut it off with Young Jae. Jimin, I love you. Only you. What will it take for you to believe me?” I pulled off my gloves and walked over to him. I cupped his face in my hands and kissed his forehead gently. “Jimin, I only want to be with you. I’m not going to leave you, I swear.”

Jimin sighed. “I know, baby. I know. I just…can’t help myself when it comes to Young Jae.” He pulled back and took off his gloves. He wrapped his arms around me and tucked his head into my shoulder. “For one thing, I don’t trust him because I knew what he was like in high school. And for another, I hate that he was here for you when I wasn’t. I hate that someone else filled my shoes and took care of you and loved you and kissed you. I hate that you replaced me.”

“He’s not your replacement.” I murmured into his shoulder. “No one could ever replace you.”

“It just feels that way.” Jimin whispered. “I’m just worried I’m going to lose you to him.”

“You shouldn’t worry about that.” I told him as I pulled away to look into his face. I pressed my lips against his. “If anything, he should be worried that he’ll lose my friendship to you.”

“That’s what I would love.” Jimin chuckled softly. “I just don’t want to share you. I want you all to myself.” He rested his forehead against mine and kissed me sweetly.

“You’re really too possessive.” I murmured. “It’s good to have other friends.”

“Couldn’t you have different other friends? Ones that aren’t male and aren’t Young Jae?” Jimin whined.

“I already do.” I whispered. I hugged him tightly to me. “But you’ll always be my best friend.”

“Good.” Jimin took my face in his hands and kissed my lips gently. I grasped his hair between my fingers and kissed him back fervently.

“I love you, Jimin. Only you.”

“I love you, too, baby.” Jimin whispered.