Surprise Meeting

Stay Away From Me

JIMIN’S POV

 

I wasn't coping well with the breakup.

I still had work to do, so I tried to devote all of my attention to my career. But it was difficult to smile for the fans when I went home and moped around every night, missing my ex-girlfriend.

I ended up moving back into the dorms. Everyone seemed happy to have me back, but I knew my constant depression was taking its toll. Yoongi, Hoseok, and Namjoon took me out for drinks and samgyeopsal every so often, Jin always made me tea and snacks at night, and Jungkook and Taehyung tried to cheer me up with games and cute animal videos, but I was just in a funk. I couldn't snap out of it. 

Almost everything about my life and my future had changed in a matter of days, and I couldn't keep up.

 

One day, my manager came into my room and sat down on my bed next to me. I had been drowning in nostalgic regret by reading old text messages from my girlfriend before we broke up.

"Jimin, it’s time for you to move on. It’s been three months already.”

I shrugged. “I don’t want to move on.”

“Then you should get her back,” she replied. “Don’t just sit around and mope. If you want to be with her, then be with her. Otherwise, you should just move on.”

I sighed. “I just don’t have the confidence to be with her. I mean, like, I left her. Is she gonna wanna get back with me? And...does she even love me?"

She smacked my head.

“Ouch!” I complained, rubbing the place she hit. I glared at her. “What’s your problem?”

“You’re my problem, brat!” she said, glaring back at me. “Your behavior is bringing everyone down. Take some time off and go home to visit your parents. If you’re not better by the time you get back from Busan, then we’re going to have a serious talk about your activities. You’re an idol, not a salary man. You need to be bright and happy for your fans.”

I sighed. “Fine, I’ll go home.”

“Don’t be so happy about it," my manager muttered sarcastically. “You’ve got a month. That’s unheard of. You better straighten up during that time.”

“Yes, okay," I grumbled. She patted me on the back.

“You’ll be okay," she said softly. “Now go pack your things. I’ll call a car for you.”

 

Some hours later, I arrived in Busan. I grabbed my bags from the trunk of the car and headed into my parents' house.

“Hello?” I called as I walked in the door. "Mom? Dad?" 

I went up to my old bedroom and put my bags down. I sighed. How nostalgic. I hadn’t been in here since the last time I visited my parents. Of course, that had been with her. She had slept in here and I slept in the basement. They knew we lived together, but it still wasn’t acceptable for us to sleep in the same bed at their house. My parents went to sleep before us, so each night I snuck into bed with her and I cuddled with her until she fell asleep.

I tried to brush away the happy memories. They weren’t so happy to me now.

I wandered around the house and looked for my parents. No one was home. I hadn't exactly mentioned to my parents that I had time off to visit them for a month, so I didn’t expect a welcome home. Truthfully, I wasn't sure if they'd be happy to see me; we'd been a little on the outs since I'd broken up with my girlfriend. They didn't approve of my "cowardly actions," as my dad called it. So, yeah, I didn't anticipate the warmest of welcomes.

 

I decided to go over to the restaurant to greet them and get a meal. They'd still be happy to see their son, right? They couldn't really choose my ex-girlfriend over me, right?

It would be nice to eat my dad's cooking again. I hummed a little song to myelf as I thought about eating his kimchi jjigae, slipping in the back door to the dishroom, a place where I'd spent many summer days working.

“I’m here! Mom, Dad!” I called.

“Oh,” I heard a familiar voice say softly.

I glanced up in surprise and my heart fell into my stomach at the sight of my ex-girlfriend in my parents' restaurant. . 

 

“What are you doing here?” She said the exact words I was thinking.

I stared at her for a moment, trying to grasp the situation. She had on an apron and rubber gloves. Was she holding a stack of dishes? Wait, did she…?

No. No! My mom would have told me about something like this, right?

“I-I live here,” I replied dumbly. What was I saying? No one lives in a restaurant.

“Ah," she said. “Okay.”

She turned away from me to dump the pile of dishes in the sink. I watched as she tied her short, frizzy hair back in a tiny bun and flicked the faucet on.

“W-what are you doing here?” I stuttered.

She turned to me, eyebrows raised. “I work here.”

“Oh," I nodded mechanically. “I’m, uh. I’m gonna go find my mom.”

“Okay," she said, turning her attention back to the dishes.

 

What the had just happened? My ex-girlfriend was working in my parents' restaurant? What the ?

I wandered the back halls of the restaurant, looking for my parents. They had some explaining to do! Who the just goes off and hires their son's ex-girlfriend? Who does that?!

 

I banged on the door of the office, starting to get pissed. Why did I have to come home and see her in the dishroom? This was my home and I was here, trying to get over her. Where was I supposed to go? 

My dad opened the door, surprised to see me there.

“Jimin? What are you doing here? Why is your face all red?"

“Is it red?” I ran my hand through my hair and took a deep breath. I needed to calm down.

“What’s wrong with you?” my father demanded. He took my hands in his. “Your hands are shaking. Here, come in and sit down.”

My dad led me into the room and sat me in the comfy desk chair. He took the harder chair across from me.

“Jimin, what’s happening? Why are you so upset? Why are you in Busan?" He peered at me in concern. "Did something happen with BTS? Are you ill? What's the matter, love?"

 

I took a deep breath and stared at my hands, willing them to stop shaking. Seeing her had really rattled me; I was torn between wanting to hug her so tightly we would never be apart again and demanding to know why the she was in my home, poisoning my parents against me.

“My manager gave me some time off. A month, actually. She says I’ve been too gloomy and it’s affecting my performance.” I looked up at my dad, wondering what his response would be.

“Jimin…you can’t let these things affect your work. I know your job is demanding, but you still need to do your best for it.”

“I know, Dad,” I said softly. “I’m just having a hard time.”

My dad sighed. "Well, no one told you to break up with her."

I scowled. Why did he have to take her side?

 

“Dad, why is she washing dishes in the kitchen?”

My dad chuckled. I couldn’t find anything funny about it.

“Your mother has a soft spot for that girl. She moved back to Busan and she needed a job. So your mother insisted she take this one.”

“She moved back to Busan?” I asked, surprised. “Why?”

My dad shrugged. “Something about not being able to afford her rent.”

“Really?” I slumped over and put my head in my hands. “, I didn't even think about her rent when I moved out.”

My dad remained quiet for a while. Finally he asked, “Why did you break up with her?"

“I don’t know,” I replied weakly. "I mean, I do know. I don't think she loves me as much as I love her." I paused for a moment, gathering my thoughts. "I didn't wanna be in an unequal relationship."

My dad sighed softly. “Jimin, of course she loves you. People just express their love in different ways. She's not as affectionate as you are; it doesn't mean she doesn't love you.”

I shook my head. "I don't know, Dad."

“Jimin, listen to me. I have watched that girl break down into tears over the smallest things. The other day, your mother offered her a custard tart to cheer her up and she just started sobbing, mumbling some nonsense about how you used to make them for her. Your mother has to send Young Jae over to her apartment just to make sure she's eating!"

 

My eyes narrowed. "Young Jae? So Young Jae? What's he got to do with anything?"

My dad scoffed and fiddled impatiently with the knicknacks on his desk. "Jimin, you have got to get over this rivalry with Young Jae. You two have been friends since childhood!"

"What do you mean, he's going over to her apartment? Are they dating?" I shifted in my seat and crossed my arms. "Wow, she sure got over me quickly. Are you serious? Seo Young Jae?"

He smacked his hand on the table. "Jimin! I just told you that she's crying over you, not sleeping, not eating, and you're fixated on the fact that your mother is sending over Young Jae to check on her? He's just making sure she's okay. Besides, you broke up with her. You can't get mad if she moves on."

"So they're dating."

My father sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "Jimin, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, but either you want to be with that girl or you don't. Make up your mind."

"What I want is for her to love me! But she doesn't, so why should I wait around like a pathetic little puppy hoping she'll throw me a bone? I said I was done and I am. I'm done."

"You're stupid," my father replied. He gestured to the door. "Go, say hello to your mom and have a meal in the kitchen."

I frowned and slouched over to the doorway, mad that my dad was mad at me. He hadn't seen me in forever, and all he did was lecture me. I didn't even get a hug. I really needed a hug!

"Jimin," my dad called. I turned around and saw him smiling at me. "It's nice to have you home."