Toothpaste Kisses

Stay Away From Me

“Baby!” Jimin called from the bathroom.

“What do you want?” I called from underneath the covers. I did not plan on dragging myself out of bed for this fool. It was too damn early in the morning.

“Babe, where’s my phone? My manager said she needed to get in contact with me this morning.” Jimin’s voice sounded muffled.

“I can’t hear you!” I shouted, annoyed. “Leave me alone.” I muttered under my breath.

“Baby.” Jimin appeared in the doorway, toothbrush in hand. “Help me, please. I’m going to be late.”

He walked over and stood above me, surveying the bed. “Seriously, get up! You need to help me.”

“Jimin!” I barked. “I’m sleeping. Find your own damn phone.”

“Ah, seriously, this girl,” Jimin tsked. He ripped the blanket off of me and rolled me over.

“What the hell are you doing?” I demanded, feeling ruffled.

“I’m looking for my phone.” Jimin ignored my angry glare and rifled through the sheets.

“It’s not in here,” I snapped. “Get your toothbrush out of here; that’s so ing dirty.”

“Come here,” Jimin said, grabbing my jaw. “And let me clean your dirty mouth for you. Brush all those mean swear words out.”

He poked his toothbrush at my mouth. I pressed my lips into a thin line. That thing was getting nowhere near my teeth.

“C’mon, baby, be a good girl and brush your teeth. Or else you can’t have cookies for dessert tonight.” Jimin giggled as I shot him a death glare.

 

Luckily for me, his phone began to ring.

“Oh , that must be my manager!” He dropped the toothbrush onto my bare leg and scrambled around, trying to find the source of the ringing. “Help me find it.”

“Ew, Jimin, this is disgusting!” I held his toothbrush far away from me with two fingers.

“Can you please just relax? You stick your tongue in my mouth on a daily basis, stop acting so weird about my toothbrush.” Jimin rolled his eyes at me.

“Shut the up,” I muttered, blushing furiously. “You know I have that weird thing about toothpaste.” I got up off the bed to help Jimin, still holding the toothbrush.

I listened closely to the sound of his ringtone. “It’s in the laundry basket,” I decided. “You must have thrown it in there with your clothes from yesterday.”

Jimin immediately dumped the entire contents of our laundry basket on the floor. I sighed. He totally could have just picked off from the top layer.

“Found it!” He held it up triumphantly. “Hello? Ah, yes, I’ll be there soon. Yes, okay. I understand. Bye.”

Jimin turned to me, a huge smile on his face.

“What’s up?” I held out his toothbrush for him to take. He ignored my outstretched hand and scooped me up into a huge bear hug. It was pretty nice, considering he was still shirtless.

“Jimin! You’re squeezing me to death,” I gasped.

“Ooh, sorry babe.” He gently lowered me to the ground and leaned in to kiss me deeply.

“Ugh, Jimin.” I wiped off my lips. “You still have toothpaste in your mouth. I’m gonna throw up.”

Jimin scowled. “Are you serious? You should be grateful for my toothpaste kisses.”

“And why is that?” I asked, still trying to get the toothpaste off of my mouth.

“Because I just got a week off! Guess who’s taking you on a vacation?” Jimin looked so proud of himself.

“Taeyang?” I asked hopefully. Jimin scowled at me. “What?” I shrugged. “If I could date you, I could probably date him too, right?”

Jimin looked uncomfortable. “But your age difference is a bit…”

“Um, hello, our age difference is also a bit...” I imitated his reaction.

“Yeah, but our levels are about the same. Taeyang is so much cooler than you. I don’t think you could handle him.” Jimin shook his head pityingly at me.

“So you’re saying that I’m cool enough for you but not cool enough for Taeyang? You’re really going to put me down to your level?”

Jimin nodded.

“Listen, why don’t you just go on vacation by yourself, little boy? I’m sure you’ll still have fun.” I patted Jimin’s head and went to go put his toothbrush away.

“Don’t patronize me.” Jimin followed me into the bathroom. He smirked at me in the mirror.

“Get lost,” I laughed. “Let me wash my face in peace.” I pulled my hair into a ponytail and clipped up my bangs. “Can you pass me my face wash please?”

Jimin handed me the small bottle. “You know, you should really use the kind I get from my manager. It’s so good.”

“Are you telling me my skin’s not good?” I asked him, raising my eyebrows warningly. “If you’re trying to get me to go on vacation with you, you’re not doing a very good job.”

“No, I just want you to have the best things,” Jimin said, backtracking quickly.

“Nice save,” I commended him. “Just give me my moisturizer and tell me about this vacation.”

“Well,” Jimin began, tossing me the tube. “What do you think about visiting my parents in Busan?”

I just looked at him in the mirror.

“What?” he demanded, albeit a little sheepishly. “You also have friends who live there.”

“Our romantic getaway is a week with your parents?” I patted my face. “Do you know how uncomfortable I will be that whole time?”

“My parents love you,” Jimin argued.

“Your parents do not love that we live together,” I reminded him.

“Okay, fine," he admitted. I turned around to face him.

“What week do you have off?” I asked.

“Two weeks from today.” Jimin wrapped his arms around me.

“Oh, darn!” I cried in mock disappointment. “I’m busy that week.”

Jimin playfully knocked the back of my head. “Don’t lie. You know you’re just trying to get out of this.”

I ducked out of his arms and walked out of the bathroom. “You know, if your girlfriend is trying to get out of your vacation then it’s probably a good idea to change the location.”

“Come on," Jimin pleaded, following after me like a little duckling. “I never get to see them. And you’ll be able to eat good food all week too.”

I perked up. “Hmm…that’s true. I always did enjoy your parents’ restaurant.”

Jimin smiled slyly. “You can eat every delicious item off of the menu. And you won’t have to wash the dishes. And we can bring Yukon with us because my parents adore him.”

“Okay!” I decided. “Let’s go.”

Jimin giggled. “You need to learn to think with something other than your stomach.”

“You should be grateful for my stomach. Your cooking is one of the reasons I agreed to live with you.”

“Really?” Jimin asked, surprised.

“Oh yeah,” I nodded. “It was hard for me to survive on my own. Why do you think I ate at your parents’ restaurant so often?”

“Well, I thought it was because you wanted to see me,” Jimin admitted shyly. He ducked his head down and rubbed the back of his neck.

“Huhu, how cute.” I reached up and pinched his cheeks. “I didn’t even know you were there until your mother pointed you out to me one day.”

“What did she say to you?” Jimin was all ears.

I smiled. It was a fond memory of mine. “It was after you had already asked me out. We had gone on like one date I think. Your mom came over to where I was sitting and said, ‘Come, come.’ I was completely bewildered, so she just grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the kitchen. She pointed to you and said, ‘See, this is my son. He’s singing so happily while working because of you.’ And it was true, you were singing while washing the dishes. She said, ‘Normally he is nagging me, Mom, Mom, why do you make me work when I see you so little? But today he is singing because today he knows you’re here.’”

I laughed as Jimin’s ears turned bright red.

“You saw such an embarrassing sight?” He hid his face in his hands. “Ahh, seriously, Mom. How can she betray me like that?”

“Well, honestly, it was what convinced me to go on a second date with you,” I said.

“What? Seriously, were you having second thoughts even then?” Jimin ran a hand through his hair. I kissed his cheek.

“I don’t have second thoughts about you,” I reassured him softly. “And yeah, it was what convinced me. I thought you were just like this pretty playboy or something. The only reason I agreed to go out with you in the first place is because you were so cute. I wanted to look back in my old age and say to myself, ‘Ah…I once dated a handsome boy like that.’” I giggled.

“Are you kidding me?” Jimin laughed. “Wow, a pretty playboy. What a nice image. I wish I could be like that.”

“That’s a nice thing to say to your girlfriend,” I playfully snapped at him. “Put a shirt on and get ready for work. I definitely know you’re not a playboy now.” I laughed to myself. “Who could even see such a sight like that and think you were anything close to a playboy?”

Jimin scowled. “I could be a playboy if I wanted to.”

“Better not.” I pointed at him warningly. “Or I’ll really tell your mom on you.”

He stuck his tongue out at me and pulled a shirt over his head.

“What song was I even singing? Do you remember that?” Jimin held his hands out for his phone. I tossed it to him.

“Don’t you remember?” I asked coyly. “After all, it seemed to be a rare occurrence for you to sing while working.”

“Yeah, I remember.” Jimin grinned. “I just want to see if you do.”

“It was Jay Park’s ‘Joah.’ I had been obsessed with that song when it came out.” I smiled. “You did a good cover of it back then. Mmm, baby, you can hit those high notes so well. I don’t know, it just does something to me.”

Jimin smiled at me proudly. “So it was my love struck singing that won you over?”

I shook my head. “No, no, it was still your mom.”

Jimin stared at me, confused. “What about my mom convinced you? She just showed you me singing.”

“No, that wasn’t all. After that, she brought me back to my table and had a meal with me. She told me all of these things about you. She told me all about your personality and what you were like at home. She told me about how you cried sometimes when you called her while you were away from home, but you still always worked hard for your dream. She said, ‘Even though he may look like that, he’s still very innocent.’ Ah, what a thing for a mom to say about her son. It totally ruined your pretty playboy image. Even more than your precious singing did.” I ruffled Jimin’s hair fondly. He absentmindedly knocked my hand away.

“Mom said all of those things about me?” Jimin wondered, smoothing his hair back into place. He sounded a little awestruck. “What else did she say?”

“Ah, how do I remember all this so well? Your mom left such an impression, really.” I ran a hand through my hair, remembering. “She said, ‘My son has never told me about a girl he liked. I started to worry about him because all he talked about was dancing. When I saw him approach you while you were eating the other day, I felt shocked. Is this our Jimin? Is he really talking to a girl like this? Of course, he was so foolish, I’m sorry, sweetheart. I felt equally shocked when you said yes! And then when you came back here after a date! I felt you must really like Jimin.’”

“And then what did you say?” Jimin demanded, hanging on my every word.

“I confessed that I didn’t actually know that this was your family’s restaurant and that I was really shocked to find out that the nice lady who kept me well-fed was actually your mom. And then she said to me, ‘Listen, sweetheart, you’re beautiful and you can date whomever you want, but please look kindly on my son. He’s really a very nice boy. Actually, I’ve told him about you even before. I said, Jimin, when you come visit, there’s a nice girl that you must talk to. She’s very pretty and she’s very polite to your father and I.’ I laughed and asked her how you reacted to that and she said you just grumbled and said ‘No way, Mom,’ until you actually saw me.”

Jimin blushed. “Ah, you caught me. My mom had actually showed me a picture of you before. She took it secretly with her phone. When I saw you in the restaurant that day, it actually wasn’t the first time I had seen your face. My members caught me staring at you, and when I said I thought you were pretty, they dared me to go talk to you.”

“What, was I ambushed by the mother-son tag team?” I laughed. “You guys must have really wanted me.”

Jimin wrapped me in his arms and rested his forehead against mine. “I sure did," he whispered, planting a soft kiss on my bangs.

“I owe your mom a lot, huh?” I laid my head on Jimin’s shoulder. “Let’s go visit your parents.

“I knew I could convince you,” Jimin murmured, burying his face in my hair.

“You know,” I said thoughtfully. “Your mom told me one more thing before we finished our meal.”

“What was that?” Jimin asked me softly, his face still in my hair.

“She told me that if I did date you, I should always take care of you. Not like cooking or anything, but to take care of your heart. She said, ‘Our Jimin, he is very energetic and very caring, but his heart is delicate. It needs to be well-fed with love to grow up into a strong heart. Please take care of our son, sweetheart, if you do want to be with him.’” I sighed. “I felt so solemn at that time. Your mom was entrusting me to you after only one date.” 

Jimin snorted. "Yeah, bad idea, Mom. She set me up with like the most prickly girlfriend ever."

“Excuse me, how rude. Listen, I’m very grateful to your mom for having a son like you.” I gently hugged him tighter to me, wanting to close the distance between us even by a centimeter. “And I’m very grateful that she picked me to be with you.”