Chanel Bag

Stay Away From Me

“What do you want eat for dinner tonight?” Jimin asked me as he pulled an apron over his head.

“Hmm…” I contemplated from my cozy seat on the couch. “I’m not really in the mood to eat tonight.”

Jimin tsked. “Don’t skip meals.”

“Buy me a Chanel bag and I’ll eat dinner.” I bargained. Jimin sighed and shook his head at me, amused.

“All girls are the same. Do you even care about these burning feelings in my heart?” He pounded his chest and looked at me with a pseudo-pained expression. “Are you just using me for my money?”

“You forgot about your handsome looks, your killer body, your singing skills, and your status as an idol.” I reminded him. He scoffed at me.

“Do you even love me at all?” Jimin demanded theatrically. “I feel like we only have these kinds of conversations. What about my soul? Do you even love my soul?”

“Yes, yes. I care deeply about you.” I replied indifferently, flipping through the pages of my manga. He was so melodramatic; I was pretty used to these passionate questions. So I definitely didn't expect the next conversation we had.

Jimin was quiet for a long moment after my lackluster confession. He sighed softly and muttered, “You care deeply, huh.”

I looked up at him, surprised. He was staring at me, wistfulness apparent in his expression. “Wait, are you not joking? Are you seriously doubting me? Do I really need to affirm my feelings for you?”

Jimin tilted his head and rubbed his hand on the back of his neck. He let out a deep sigh. “Well, I was joking, but...uhh. Please affirm it.” He said finally.

I got up from the couch and slowly walked across the room. I put my hands on his shoulders and looked into his eyes. “Please buy me a Chanel bag.” I said in a serious tone, trying to lighten the mood.

Jimin angrily, but gently, pushed me away and said “Skip your meals, I don’t even care. Don’t even say the word Chanel in front of me from now on.”

“Jimin…I was just kidding.” I said, a bit taken aback by his reaction. He refused to look at me and banged a pan on the stove. “Jiminie…please look at me.” I whined, pleading, trying to be cute. He continued to ignore me.

“Jimin, come on. You know I…you know I do.” I said, realizing how halfhearted it sounded.

He turned to face me. “You can’t even say it!” He exclaimed angrily. The edge of desperation in Jimin’s voice alarmed me. “I must say it to you a dozen times a day, but it's like pulling teeth to get you to say it back.”

“Well, you know…” I looked down at the ground. “It’s, uh, it’s…embarrassing.”

Jimin laughed in disbelief. “It’s embarrassing? It’s embarrassing. Huh.” He shook his head. “You know what’s embarrassing, baby? Telling someone you love her and she just says, ‘Yeah, you too.’ Yeah, you too. Well, that.”

“Jimin!” I exclaimed softly. He stared into my eyes for a long moment. I could see the deep sadness and disappointment in them. I really caused him to make such an expression?

“You’re never serious when it matters.” He accused me. “You know damn well I’ll buy you all the Chanel bags you want, that I want to buy you nice things, that I love you and I’m gonna buy you a bag if you ask me for a bag.”

“I know that.” I said in a small voice. “I was just joking, Jimin. You know I was just joking.”

“Yeah, I know, baby.” His words came out as a sigh. “I know. I’m sorry for getting mad.”

He took off his apron and brushed past me without another word. After a moment, I followed him into the bedroom, where I found him putting on his coat.

“Where are you going?” I asked quietly.

Jimin didn’t look at me as he put on his hat. “I’m going out for a bit. Don’t wait up.”

He hesitated, then planted a small kiss on my forehead. “Bye, babe.”

 

 

I spent the rest of the night feeling miserable. Jimin never came back, so I went to sleep alone. I snuggled on Jimin’s side of the bed, breathing in his scent as my tears wet his pillow. Yukon leapt up onto the bed and curled up next to my face, away my tears. I started to cry harder at his small act of comfort.

"Sorry, Jimin." I whispered into his pillow. "I really love you." 

 

 

When I woke in the morning, Jimin’s body was pressed gently against mine, his arms wrapped around me. I breathed out a sigh of relief and snuggled in closer to him. He was so warm and I was so happy to be next to him. Who needed Chanel bags when I had Jimin in my life? As I scooted even closer to him, something vaguely sharp bumped against my foot and I carefully turned my head to see what it was. The famous black box with the white ribbon tied just so around it came into view. A Chanel bag!

I smoothly wriggled free from Jimin’s arms and excitedly opened the box. Probably it was shallow of me to be so excited about the bag that had been the catalyst for a fight, but I couldn’t help myself. It was Chanel.

Inside the box was a beautiful black quilted clutch with a golden bow on it. There was a little card on top of it. I opened the card and read,

“Baby, I’m sorry for getting so mad yesterday. It’s been hard on me that you don't really tell me you love me, but it’s unfair of me to expect it from you. I don't want to pressure you and I'm willing to wait until you feel more comfortable. I know you love me. I just like to hear it sometimes. Hope this bag you’ve been dropping ‘hints’ about causes you to overflow with affection for me. Love, Jimin.”

I sighed and put the lid on the box. I did love Jimin. I really did. But it was hard for me to express affection. I constantly batted away his confessions with sarcastic and flippant remarks. I knew I had been wrong yesterday, especially when he had been so vulnerable and asked me to affirm my feelings for him. I had wanted to. It was hard for me, but it was harder for him when it went unsaid.

 

I snuggled back into his arms, this time facing him. His sleeping face was so pretty. What a beautiful boyfriend I had. I sighed contentedly and kissed his forehead.

“I love you.” I breathed.

I kissed his left eyelid. “I love you.”

I kissed his right eyelid. “I love you.”

I kissed each of his cheeks. “I love you. I love you.”

I gently kissed his lips. “I love you.” I whispered.

 

Suddenly, Jimin’s arms around me tightened their grasp and squeezed me. I gasped in surprise. Jimin opened his eyes and his face broke into a wide, sleepy smile.

“Jimin! You scared the crap out of me.” I cried quietly. He loosened his hold around me, rested his forehead against mine and whispered,

“So you love me, huh?”

I blushed. “Huh, you must have been dreaming.” I replied automatically.

“Well, it was a very beautiful dream.” Jimin said quietly in an adorable morning voice.

“Yeah, must have been.” I whispered, my heart starting to pound.

He was silent for a moment, just smiling softly and gazing at me.

“Can you say it just once more?” Jimin requested in a tone I could not refuse.

I flushed deeply. “I…I, um.” I took a deep breath. “I love you, Jimin.”

Jimin’s face turned a slight shade of pink as he tucked a lock of hair behind my ear.

“I love you, too.” He murmured. He took my face in his hands and kissed me deeply.

 

“You know,” I whispered later, just as we were about to fall back asleep. “You didn’t have to buy me a Chanel bag. You know I’m happy just with you.”

“I know.” Jimin replied simply, kissing my nose. “I just wanted to get it for you. Just because I love you.”

I sighed and closed my eyes, drifting slowly into sleep as Jimin softly my hair.

I didn't think I would ever need anything more than this.