Always

Stay Away From Me

Jimin wouldn’t stop kissing me. I would break away for a moment to catch my breath, but he would pull me back almost instantly, eagerly pressing his lips against mine.

“Jimin…” I panted, pushing him away. “I need to breathe.”

“No.” He whined, tangling his hands in my hair and pulling me back in. “Breathe through your nose. Just kiss me, baby.”

“Hey.” I whispered, turning my cheek to him as he tried to kiss me again. He practically fell into me; I giggled as he pouted at me. “Where’s my phone? We have to check the timer.”

“I don’t know.” He whispered back, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me in for a tight hug. I snuggled my face into his neck. “Let’s just cuddle until it goes off.”

“You’re so cute.” I kissed his neck. “You’re like really cute.”

“I know.” Jimin said smugly. “You should pray that our baby’s as cute as me.”

“I know, right?” I laughed and kissed his neck one more time. I straightened up and looked him in the eye. He smiled at me, a warm, sweet smile. “Jimin, do you want a baby?”

“Yeah.” He said softly, tucking my hair behind my ears. “Do you?”

“Not really.” I admitted, feeling somehow ashamed. “Babies are so much work. And everything will change. They’re cute, but they’re also like a huge pain in the .”

Jimin laughed. “What a romantic perspective you have there. You love kids, though. Why don’t you want a baby?”

“Because,” I said, drinking in the sight of him. I loved the wide smile curving across his face, his messy hair, his beautiful eyes. “Because I want just you right now. I want it to be just the two of us. Cause we’re never going to be young and in love again, just you and me. I don’t know; I’m not ready to be a mom yet. But I’m ready to be a wife.”

“I’m ready for you to be a wife as well.” Jimin grinned and tweaked my nose. “It’s about damn time.”

“Whatever.” I scowled playfully at him. “You’re the one who’s just way too impatient. You always want everything immediately.”

“That’s not true.” Jimin said quietly. “I just want you like that.” He pressed his lips against mine and I pressed myself against him, grasping his hair between my fingers. “, I just love you so much.” He moaned against my mouth. “I just want all of you, all the time.”

I broke away for a moment and rested my forehead against his. “Well, you’ve got me. I’m all yours, Jimin.” I could feel the blush rising on my cheeks. “Stop making me say these cheesy things.” I mumbled, kissing him again to hide my embarrassment.

 

“Is your phone even working?” Jimin demanded in between kisses. He broke away from me and searched for it. “Why isn’t that damn timer going off?”

“Agh, Jimin, I’m too nervous.” I groaned, climbing off his chest and leaning against the bathtub. I pulled my knees up to my chest and rested my head against them. “I’m gonna throw up again.”

“Shh, shh, baby girl.” Jimin crooned. He stood up and came over to me. “Everything’s going to be fine.” He kissed the top of my head and continued his search for my phone. “Where the is your phone? You just had it.”

“Ah, it’s on the shelf.” I pointed, suddenly remembering. Jimin went over and picked it up. He turned to me, a frown on his face.

“It’s dead.” He told me, still frowning. “How can you live your life like this? It’s probably been way longer than ten minutes.”

“How is it dead?” I cried, picking my head up off my knees. “It was fully charged before I went to sleep!”

“Probably because you have a ty phone.” Jimin grumbled. “Just let me buy you a new one! You’re so ing stubborn.”

“Shut up.” I mumbled. “Now’s not the time to argue about a phone.”

“What time did you set the timer?” Jimin asked, putting my useless phone back down and pulling his out.

“Um…” I squinted, trying to remember. “8:20.”

Jimin looked up at me in disbelief. “It’s already 8:50. We’ve been sitting here making out when this damn test has been ready for half an hour.”

“Um, we also got engaged during that time.” I reminded him, holding up my left hand and pointing to the ring. Jimin’s face broke out into a broad grin. “Or did you forget?”

“How could I forget?” He said happily, walking over to me and pulling me up. He reached down and intertwined his fingers with mine. “Come on, fiancée, let’s see if we’re gonna be parents.”

“Okay, fiancé.” I grinned, biting my bottom lip shyly.

 

We walked over to the windowsill where I had placed the test. Jimin picked it up and squinted at it.

“How do you read this thing?” He asked, showing it to me.

“Agh, I don’t know, I don’t know!” I panicked, pushing it away from me. “I can’t look!”

“Well, are there instructions or something?” Jimin asked, looking around. “Where’s the box?”

“It’s one line for negative and two lines for positive.” I told him. He looked at me questioningly. I flushed. “I read it before.” I admitted sheepishly. “I’m just too nervous. You read it.”

“Okay.” Jimin said softly, tousling my hair. He peered back down at the stick. “Um…I can’t read this. It’s not very clear.”

“What do you mean?” I demanded, still too afraid to look.

“There’s definitely one line.” He said, holding it up to the light. “But then there’s like a little mark next to it. Like maybe a second line, maybe just a weird thing.”

I poked my head over his shoulder and looked at it with him. “Yeah, you’re right.” I agreed. “What is that thing? Am I ing pregnant or what?”

“I don’t know.” Jimin answered, puzzled. “Should we ask my mom?”

“No!” I cried, face flushing in shame. “Your parents can’t know about this!”

“They’re going to find out sooner or later.” Jimin pointed out.

“Not if I’m not pregnant.” I said, taking the stick from him and examining it closely. “I saw something like this on Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Kourtney took a pregnancy test and it was like one and a half lines.”

“Was she pregnant?” Jimin asked, unable to keep the smirk off of his face. He teased me endlessly about loving that show.

“Yeah.” I said softly, looking up into his eyes. “She was.”

“So are we?” He whispered, looking back at me.

“I don’t know.” I blinked, breaking the intimate atmosphere. I held out the stick to him. “Does that look like even half a line to you?”

“, I can’t tell, babe.” Jimin muttered, running a hand through his hair. “What the ! Are we going to be parents or what?”

“Ughhhhh!” I groaned and dramatically threw myself into Jimin’s arms. He caught me with a small laugh.

“Well, let’s go to the store and get another test.” Jimin suggested, patting my back. “We’ll pick one with a shorter wait time. Hell, we’ll get a bunch of them.”

“Okay.” I murmured into his shirt. “Lemme get changed.”

 

I let go of Jimin and went into the bedroom to throw on some clothes. Yukon followed me, panting happily, as I grabbed a pair of jeans from my laundry basket and a t-shirt of Jimin’s from my dresser. His clothes had been steadily migrating to my wardrobe. Seeing his hoodies hanging in my closet and his tank tops in my dresser made this place feel like home.

I found Jimin still in the bathroom, staring at the test.

“It’s not going to change.” I laughed at him from my spot in the doorway. He looked up at me and smiled, his shaggy hair falling in his face.

“I know.” He said. “I just like looking at it. It could be either/or. Like our lives could be changing because of a baby, you know? Or we could just keep going along, just the two of us. Either way, I’m really, really happy.”

“Come on.” I said softly, feeling myself melt inside. , this boy was just too cute. “Let’s go buy all the pregnancy tests.”

“Yeah, all of them.” Jimin agreed, following me into the living room. “All the pregnancy tests in the world. We can keep them in our cabinets and save them for all the babies I’m going to make for you.”

“Yeah, no.” I laughed, pulling on my combat boots. “Let’s just have one for now. If that.”

Jimin finished putting on his shoes and stood up. He smiled down at me and I grinned back.

“That ring looks good on you.” He said, taking my hand and pulling me up. “Perfect, actually. Like you were born to wear it.”

“I wasn’t born to be your wife.” I said, patting him lightly on his cheek. “I have other aspirations in life, you know.”

“Okay.” He agreed softly. “But maybe I was born to be your husband.”

I blushed. “You’re so embarrassing.” I muttered, looking away. “I can’t even handle how cheesy you are.”

“You love it.” He teased, taking my hand.

“I don’t know.” I said as he unlocked the door and pulled me down the hallway. “Sometimes it’s too much for me to handle.”

“You still love it.” Jimin insisted as we stepped into the elevator. “You love all of me.” He whispered as he backed me up against the wall, his hands caging me in. I looked up at him, a bit surprised. He just smirked and leaned down to kiss me.

“Jimin, we’re in an elevator!” I hissed, pushing him away.

“You never let me make out with you in the elevator.” Jimin whined, stepping back and crossing his arms before. “I know you’ve done it before.” He muttered, shooting me a dirty look.

“That was so long ago!” I cried. “Why are you remembering things I didn’t even do with you? I should have never even mentioned it.”

“It’s not like you even did it just once.” Jimin continued, trying to rile me up. “It was like all the time. With different guys. But you can’t even do it just once, with me, your fiancé.”

“Shut the up.” I growled, pinching him. “Stop reminding me of things I don’t want to remember. I’m not making out with you in an elevator!”

Jimin grumbled something under his breath and continued to sulk.

“It was not all the time.” I added sullenly. “It was not even all the time.”

“Yeah ing right.” Jimin snapped. “When we first started dating, your roommates told me everything one night while you were in the shower. They used to catch you making out with guys all the time in that rickety old elevator. You freaking kiss monster.”

I said nothing, but just glared at him as I felt my face getting hotter. He glared back at me.

“Fine.” I relented after a heated moment. “You can kiss me. Just once.”

“Really?” Jimin perked up and went over to the elevator buttons. He studied them for a second before pressing one.

“What are you doing?” I asked, curious.

He smirked at me and came over, trapping me in between his arms.

“Pressing the hold button. Wouldn’t want to get interrupted now, would we?” He breathed, bending down and kissing my neck.

“You can do that?” I demanded, surprised. “Wow. That would have been useful to know a few years ago.”

“Shut up.” Jimin ordered, kissing me. “Don’t talk about kissing other guys in front of me.”

I giggled and wound my arms around his neck. “Stop being jealous. We’re getting married now. I could be carrying your kid. What more do you need?”

“Nothing.” He mumbled against my lips. “If I’ve got you, I’ve got everything I need.”

“Cheesy as hell.” I smirked underneath his kiss.

“Love youuu.” He crooned, placing his hands on my waist and pulling me closer.

“Yeah, yeah.” I mumbled, kissing him again.

 

The elevator dinged and the doors opened to reveal an old couple, standing there patiently waiting and holding hands. The four of us stared uncomfortably at one another for a tense moment before the old man cleared his throat and they stepped in. Jimin let go of me and I flattened myself against the wall, humiliated beyond words. I glanced at Jimin. He looked as surprised as me, so I guess the whole hold button thing hadn’t worked the way he planned.

The old woman chuckled at my expression. “Are you two married?” She asked me, noticing the ring on my finger.

“Engaged.” Jimin answered quickly, a huge smile lighting up his face.

“Oh, how nice. When’s the wedding?” The old man asked pleasantly.

“We don’t know yet.” I said quietly. “We’ve only been engaged for about an hour.”

“Ah.” The two of them nodded in understanding. “So that’s why.” They exchanged knowing smiles as I blushed. Jimin took my hand and kissed it.

“We were like you once.” The old man chuckled. “But instead of elevators, it was stairwells. And my parents’ barn.”

“Oh, we’ve kissed there, too.” Jimin grinned, acting like this was a normal conversation. I smacked his arm and caught the lady’s eye. She smiled at me.

“Treasure it while you can.” She advised me gently. “You’re only young once.”

“We do.” Jimin assured her, kissing my hair. I ducked away from him, embarrassed to be doing this in front of other people. The couple just laughed. I saw the old man look at his wife with a tender expression before the elevator doors opened again and Jimin and I got out.

“Nice to meet you!” We waved and they waved back.

 

“That was precious.” Jimin said, squeezing my hand. “I want to be an old married couple like that with you.”

“Yeah, me too.” I said quietly.

Jimin bent down and pecked my cheek. “You ready to go and get those tests?”

I sighed. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

“I love you, baby.” Jimin murmured, slinging an arm around my waist and pinning me to his side.

“I love you, Jimin.” I turned my head and kissed his shoulder. “I’ll always love you.”

 

We walked out the doors of my apartment building and into the sunlight, ready to face our future together.