Back to Busan

Stay Away From Me

I moved back to Busan two weeks later. It had taken me some time to unpack all of my things because I kept crying and recalling past memories. It was hard to concentrate on the task of organizing the kitchen when even the sight of Jimin’s old Hello Kitty apron caused me to cry. My new apartment was christened in tears. Happy housewarming to me, I supposed.

I kept our bed. Partly because beds were expensive, but mostly because I couldn’t let it go. I never washed Jimin’s pillowcase, either. I didn’t use it, but I couldn’t bear to wash Jimin out of everything he left to me.

I hung up his Givenchy backpack in my closet. I kept it tightly zipped so his clothes wouldn’t lose their scent. I had no idea I had the capacity to be such a sentimental fool until my first love broke my heart. Was everyone like this after a breakup or was I just pathetic and sad?

Even though it was lonesome, I loved my little room. There was a mountain behind my house and I could still go to the sea when I wanted to. I spent a lot of time at the sea, despite the cold weather. Somehow the frigid breeze and the soft lapping of the waves calmed my stormy heart. Yukon kept me company. I felt grateful to Jimin for leaving him behind, even though he was my puppy. Jimin had given him to me for my twenty-third birthday, back when we had first started dating. We both loved him and I could only guess that Jimin missed him now.

 

After about a week of living in Busan, I went to Jimin’s parents’ restaurant. I had been a regular here long before Jimin and I had even met. His mom loved me and his father was kind. The last time I had been there was with Jimin, a while ago.

I opened the door to the restaurant gingerly and peeked my head in. Jimin’s mom spotted me instantly. Her face broke into a wide smile and she bustled over to greet me.

“Oh, look at you!” she clucked, picking at my clothes. “How did you get so thin? Have you been eating?”

“Enough.” I shrugged. “I’m very hungry today, so I came to see you.”

Jimin’s mom smiled. “I’ll feed you very well today. What do you want to eat?”

She led me over to a table and poured me a cup of tea.

“Um...something warm. Kimchi jigae, I think.”

“That sounds nice. I’m going to have to join you for that.”

“Oh, please, don’t feel like you have to.” I held my hands up, feeling guilty. “Don’t you have other customers? I don’t want to take up your time.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that, honey.” She patted my head. “We hired a new boy to help us out with the restaurant.” She pointed out a good-looking man who seemed to be around my age, in his early twenties. He saw me and winked. How cheeky.

“That’s Young Jae. Don’t mind him, he’s just trying to be cute.” Jimin’s mom disappeared into the kitchen and Young Jae came over to talk to me.

“Hi. I’m Young Jae.” He seated himself across from me and smiled at me cutely.

“Nice to meet you,” I said, taking a sip of my tea. Why was this guy sitting at my table? Didn’t he have work to do?

“How do you know the owners?” he asked me.

“Umm…I used to eat here a lot before I moved to Seoul,” I replied, uncomfortable.

“Oh? Are you just visiting for today?” he pried.

“No…I moved back recently.” Where was this conversation going? What was with this guy?

“You’re very cute, did you know that?” Young Jae grinned at me.

“Okay, seriously?” I snapped, annoyed. “What are you doing?”

He shrugged, unfazed. “I’m just making conversation. Is it wrong to tell a cute girl that she’s cute?”

Luckily for Young Jae, Jimin’s mom returned at that moment with some delicious smelling food.

“Young Jae!” she scolded. “Get back to work! Stop bothering my daughter-in-law.”

I flushed.

“Daughter-in-law?” Young Jae repeated disbelievingly.

“Yes. I’m setting her aside for my son. Stay away from her.” She glared at him warningly.

Young Jae laughed. “Oh, so that’s it.” He stood up to resume his work. “Listen, if you need some friends since you just moved back to town, I’d be happy to oblige.” He winked and quickly dodged a playful smack from Jimin’s mom.

I just took another sip of my tea and ignored him. He left to go help an older couple to their seats.

“Where did you find a guy like that?” I laughed after he had gone.

Mrs. Park sighed. “Jimin’s father is friends with his father. We’re doing it as a favor to them. He’s a nice boy, really. He doesn’t usually act this way towards girls.”

I nodded. I stared sadly into my soup, thinking of how Mrs. Park had called me her daughter-in-law.

“Sweetheart,” she said softly. “Don’t look so unhappy. I know about you and Jimin. It’s already been six weeks. You think he hid this kind of thing from me?”

I glanced up at her, tears in my eyes. She handed me a tissue. I gratefully accepted and tried to get myself under control.

“I’m sorry," I whispered. “I’m sorry for disappointing you.”

Jimin’s mom gently patted my head. “I’m not disappointed in you,” she murmured. “I’m just sad that things didn’t work out between you two.”

“Me too,” I mumbled.

“Here, eat," she said, handing me my spoon. “You’ll feel better with some food in you.”

I took a bite. “Why is your cooking always the most delicious?” I sighed contentedly. “It feels good to eat something nice for a change.”

Jimin’s mom smiled. “It’s nice to see you eating so well. I’ll have Young Jae stop by your place later with some food, if you don’t mind. I promise, he won’t be a bother.”

I didn’t feel incredibly comfortable with that offer, but I didn’t want to be rude. “Of course it’s fine.” I smiled. “I’ll give you my address before I leave.”

We spent the rest of our meal chatting happily and avoiding the subject of Jimin. As we finished our last bites, she asked me,

“Sweetheart, have you found a place to work yet?”

I put down my spoon and answered honestly. “No,” I confessed. “I’m still doing some freelance work as a writer, but it’s still hard to pay my bills even though I moved.”

“Why don’t you work here?” Mrs. Park suggested.

“Oh, I couldn’t possibly ask that of you,” I refused politely.

“No, no, please. It’s good. I need a girl around here.” She winked at me. “Besides,” she lowered her voice. “Jimin is hardly here anyways. You wouldn’t even run into him. And you can have all the free food you want.”

I hesitated. The free food would help me out a lot. “I’m not sure. I’ve never waitressed before.”

Mrs. Park laughed. “No, no. I’d need you in the back washing dishes. Please, I know how clumsy you are. I’d lose all of my customers if I let you serve the food.”

I blushed. “You’re right,” I agreed, laughing. “Okay. I’ll take you up on that.”

Young Jae came over to take away our dishes, clearly eavesdropping on our conversation.

“Yes!” he exclaimed, flashing me a wide smile. “Finally, a girl will work here! And a cute one, at that.” He winked at me. I was reminded forcefully of Jimin.

“Don’t get any ideas,” Mrs. Park advised him. “This girl is not for you.”

 

Later, as I was leaving the restaurant, Young Jae ran after me and grabbed my arm.

“Sorry,” he apologized, trying to catch his breath. “Sorry, I made a terrible first impression. I hope we can be comfortable working together. And really, if you ever need a friend, I’ll be around.” He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, but smiled at me.

“Okay,” I agreed, smiling back. “I’ll be counting on you.”