Morning

Stay Away From Me

I woke up to the sound of hushed voices.

“Ooh, look at them; they’re so sweet together.” A female voice squealed softly.

“Why isn’t Jimin wearing any clothes? They’re not married.” A low male voice grumbled.

“Oh, stop. They used to live together.”

“Oh, look, they’re holding hands. I didn’t notice before.”

“Were we ever that lovey-dovey?”

“We were all that and more.”

I blinked a few times, confused as to whether I was still dreaming or not.

“Quickly, let’s go, let’s go.”

I opened my eyes to see Mrs. Park ushering Mr. Park out of Jimin’s bedroom. She smiled at me and winked.

 

“Mmph.” Jimin murmured in his sleep. I turned my head to look at him. He had cuddled into my side, with his face resting on my arm. His hair tickled my shoulder and he snored softly. He held one of my hands loosely.

I rolled over slightly and brushed his hair out of his face. Jimin blinked and squinted, trying to focus on me. I kissed his forehead.

“Good morning, baby.” He whispered.

“Good morning.” I whispered back.

Jimin yawned and stretched. I tickled his sides and he giggled. “Baby…it’s too early.” He complained in his husky morning voice. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him. I kissed his collarbone and he sighed contentedly.

“Mmm…this is nice.” Jimin mumbled softly.

“Yeah.” I agreed, my voice muffled by his chest. We lay like that for a while.

 

“Jimin.” I said suddenly.

“Yeah, baby?” Jimin whispered, half-asleep.

“I think your parents were in here this morning.” I left another tiny kiss on his collarbone.

“What?” He rubbed his eyes, trying to wake up.

“Yeah, they were talking about us. Your dad was annoyed you weren’t wearing clothes. And your mom thought we were being lovey-dovey.”

“We are being lovey-dovey.” Jimin murmured. He yawned hugely. “Damn, I’m so tired.”

“Well, we stayed up late last night.” I pointed out sleepily. Jimin slid his hand up my back and played with my hair.

“You’re so pretty.” He said quietly.

“You can’t even see my face right now.” I mumbled, embarrassed.

“Everything about you is pretty.” Jimin’s free hand strayed to my waist and slipped under the hem of my sweatshirt. “I don’t even need to see your face right now. I’m too busy with the rest of you.”

“So cheesy so early in the morning.” I complained. “Wait, what are you doing?” I twitched, ticklish. Jimin’s fingers crawled up my back teasingly. “It’s too early for this, Jimin.”

“It’s never too early.” He growled, pulling me on top of him. “I’ve missed this so much. I’ve missed you so much.”

“Jimin, your parents are downstairs.” I protested.

“It’s okay, it’s okay.” Jimin said carelessly. He gently pulled my head down and kissed me.

“Jimin...” I murmured. “We’re not even awake yet.”

“It’s okay. It’s nice like this.” Jimin tangled one of his hands in my hair while the other my back. He reached up and kissed me once more.

“I love you.” He whispered.

“I love you, too.” I kissed him and I could feel him smile against my lips.

“Wanna date?” Jimin suggested casually.

I giggled. “I’ll think about it.”

He laughed. “Are you serious? You still have to think about it?”

I sat up and shrugged. “I feel like I let you off too easy. We got back together after like two days. What does that say about me?”

Jimin sighed from underneath me, his good mood abruptly taking a turn for the worse. “Probably just that you love me and don’t want to be separated from me. Why do you have to make this more difficult than it already is?”

 

Jimin pushed me off of him and got up off the bed. He went over to his suitcase and pulled out some clothes. He threw them on the bed and muttered, “Here, wear these.”

“Jimin.” I called to him. He wouldn’t look at me. “Are you mad?”

He ignored me and continued to pull clothes out of his suitcase. I got up off the bed and walked over to him.

“Jimin,” I whispered, crouching down next to him. “Don’t be mad at me.”

“I’m not mad.” He said shortly. “I’m just disappointed.”

Jimin stood up and pulled his shirt on with a sigh. “I feel like I’m being played. Like you’re testing me. Honestly, it’s how I felt before we broke up.”

“Which is one of the reasons why we broke up.” I reminded him, suddenly annoyed. “Listen, if you can’t even handle this much, how am I supposed to believe that you really will stick around this time?”

Jimin glared at me, irritated. “Did I say I couldn’t handle it? I just said it’s how I feel. It’s not like I’m about to walk out the door because you’re still not sure about me.”

“What are you getting mad about?” I demanded angrily, standing up to face him. “Did you honestly expect that it would be this easy? Damn it, Jimin, it’s not like I can forgive something like that so soon.”

“I’m just frustrated.” Jimin put his hands up. “Okay? I’m not mad. I know; I did the wrong thing.”

“I’m not trying to blame you for the breakup.” I said. “I know we both contributed to it.”

“You don’t act like it.” Jimin muttered sullenly.

“Well, what do you want me to do?” I cried. “You’re the one who told me I didn’t need to change. You’re the one who told me I could just continue being me and it’s fine. What the hell, Jimin? You’re doing the exact same thing you did before we broke up. If something bothers you, just tell me!”

“This bothers me!” Jimin said, gesturing with his arm. “This not knowing if we’re going to be together or not bothers me. It makes me feel insecure and unstable. But what are you supposed to do about that? I told you I would wait for you to trust me again. I’m not going to leave again, but I don’t feel happy about this waiting period. It’s hard for me, baby.”

“I’m sorry, Jimin. But I can’t change that. I can’t make you feel secure about us because I’m not even secure about us. This is just the way it’s going to have to be for a while.”

“Why?” Jimin demanded. “Why can’t we just date? If we love each other and we know that, I don’t really see what the problem is? Why do we need to delay?”

“This!” I pointed at him. “This is exactly why we broke up! Because you’re always trying to rush me into everything. I don’t want to date you until I can trust you again! I didn’t want to marry you because I wasn’t ready to get married yet! Why are you always trying to trap me?”

“I’m not trying to trap you!” Jimin raised his voice in frustration. “I just want to be with you! Why do you resist it so much?”

“Yes, you are! Damn it, Jimin, you told me just last night you would let me take my time! What, did you only promise that because I was already snuggled up in bed with you? Did you think it would be easy?” I glared at him. “Did you think you would just get to pick up where you left off?”

“Why are you acting like I’m the only one who did something wrong?” Jimin ran his hand through his hair in exasperation.

“I knew it.” I said quietly. All my anger suddenly drained away. “I knew that you left because of me. Because I’m like this. I’m not affectionate, I’m not open, and I don’t make you feel loved. No matter how many times you tell me to just be me and you love me, it bothers you. It does, Jimin, don’t shake your head.”

“That’s not what I meant.” Jimin looked at me accusingly. “You know that.”

“No, I don’t, Jimin.” I disagreed softly. “I don’t know what else I could have done wrong. It’s always bothered you. You’ve always dropped little hints, but I never took you seriously until you broke up with me. I made you feel insecure. We can act like this isn’t my fault, but we both know it is.”

Jimin was quiet for a long moment. Feeling defeated, I sat on the bed and scrolled through my phone absentmindedly.

“I don’t know what you want me to tell you.” Jimin finally said. He pulled on a pair of jeans and avoided my eyes. “I’ve thought about why I left you a million times, wondering why I did what I did. I just don’t know. Maybe you’re right. Maybe I did feel insecure. But that’s my problem, not yours. You don’t need to change for me.”

“Stop saying that!” I cried, looking at him pleadingly. “It’s not how you really feel. Jeez, Jimin, just tell me you want me to be nicer to you. Just tell me how you really feel.”

“This is how I feel!” He insisted. “I don’t want you to be anyone but yourself!”

“But if I’m making you feel bad about yourself…I just don’t see how we can work this out without me changing.”

“You’ve already told me that you can’t change, so I don’t even know why you’re bringing this up.” Jimin said dismissively. “Just stop worrying. I love you and I want to be with you. I’m just waiting for you to make up your mind.”

“Why are you acting like this?” I asked softly. Jimin came over and stood in front of me. I looked up at him and lost a little bit of my nerve at his impatient expression.

“How am I acting?” He asked me, irked.

“Like you don’t even care about what I’m saying.” I took one of his hands and looked down at it. I felt sad and hopeless. “Like we don’t even have issues and like we’ll be okay if we just get back together again.”

Jimin took his hand out of mine and turned away from me, apparently done with this conversation. “Because that’s how I really feel. Stop making yourself feel bad. I honestly think that we’ll be just fine if we get back together.”

He headed towards the door, but paused with his hand on the knob. “Baby, I love you. We will make it work. Now get some clothes on and come down for breakfast.”

I nodded slowly, but once he was gone, I laid down on the bed and covered myself in his blanket.

“Jimin, why won’t you just tell me the truth?” I mumbled into his pillow.