Chapter 8

녹 (Rust)

It has been a week since Jessica decided to give Yoona a chance to date her. It wasn’t an easy feat for Jessica but Yoona was not having an easy time either.  And she hasn’t seen Jessica’s daughter yet. Erika was teasing her.

“You date the mom for a week and you have yet to see the daughter?”

“Her daughter sleeps early. And I only can date Jessica after 10pm. Her daughter’s asleep by then.”

“Wow, I thought you said she’s in her 20s?”

“Apparently, she’s a good girl.”

Erika chuckled softly. Yoona seemed nervous when Jessica decided to introduce her to Irene.  She said Yoona needed to seek permission from her daughter as well.

“Why are you so nervous?”

“Her last one screwed her life up so badly that she was estranged from her daughter for almost 20 years. They just recently got closer after her mother decided that it was time for her to make up to her daughter for their lost time.”

“Oh? That bad?”

“Yeah, it was that bad. And I heard from my cousin that her daughter wasn’t keen to meet me. She was afraid I might hurt her like how her other mom did.”

“She’s a sensible child then.”

“What the. You’re supposed to console me!”

“I am! It’s better that you have this meeting with her daughter. Both of you can have a certain level of understanding with one another. Ultimately, both of you really care for .....”

Erika frowned.

“What’s her name again?”

“It’s Jessica.”

“Ah yes, as I was saying, both of you care for this Jessica. So let her know you’re on the same page as her.”

“You think I can fill in her other mom’s shoes?”

“I don’t think you should try to fill in those shoes. You just need to be someone she can rely on and she can feel safe leaving her mother in your hands.”

“Wow, that’s tough.”

“Since you like her mother, you have to do extra effort to win her daughter’s heart as well.”

Yoona was exasperated. But Erika was right. Since she loves Jessica sincerely, she knows she has to bear responsible towards Jessica’s daughter as well. She was going to make things right.

“First impression counts a lot, right?”

“Yeah, it does.”

“Gosh, this is like meeting my girlfriend’s parents for the first time.”

“That would be the next hurdle if you wish to take it to another level.”

Yoona was horrified while Erika laughed at her.

-

Irene was surprised when her mother told her that she’s dating someone. Well, she was surprised because her mother wanted her to meet this person; wanted her permission before they would go further.

“You don’t like the idea?”

“Huh? No, I didn’t mean that but I’m just surprised. Why do you need my permission for?”

“You’re my daughter. If you don’t like this person, I’d not date her.”

“But what if you like her a lot?”

“My daughter is still important to me. I rather not date than to lose my daughter again.”

Irene saw her mother’s expression and she was visibly touched. Jessica meant every word she said and Irene knew her mother’s love is deeper than anything else.

“Mommy, I’m your daughter. At the end of the day, I want you to be happy. No, I want you to be happier than you used to be.”

“I’m happier now.”

“I mean relationship-wise. If Omma couldn’t give you that happiness and you finally find it with someone else, I wouldn’t want to get in your way. As long as Mommy’s happy, I’ll be fine with it too.”

Jessica smiled and then stretched her arms out. Irene responded with her arms safely wrapped around her mother’s waist. Jessica looked deep into Irene’s eyes before kissing her forehead gently. She smiled as Irene cuddled her mother closer.

“You look exactly like your Omma, Irene.”

Irene nodded.

“Your Omma might have done something stupid and hurt me deeply but I just cannot put her away no matter how hard I tried.”

Irene was stunned with the revelation. She pulled away and looked at her mother intently.  But Jessica only smiled before continued speaking.

“I would be lying if I said I don’t hate your Omma for hurting me; hurting us. But no matter how I tried to convince myself that I don’t love her anymore, it would be a lie too.”

“You still love her, Mommy?”

“Yes I do. It has been 20 years but I couldn’t bring myself to be with anyone else because I couldn’t forget her.”

“So this new person gave you a new reason to start all over?”

“I told her the truth that I still love your Omma but she wouldn’t take no as an answer. She said if I don’t give her a chance, she won’t give up.”

Irene smiled sheepishly.

“She’s so sweet.”

“You really think so?”

“Well, she’s right. If you don’t give her a chance, then how would you know that your heart won’t love her back? I mean, it has been 20 years and Omma didn’t even try to locate you. She didn’t even make an effort to apologize to you.”

Jessica noticed the harsh tone from her daughter. She didn’t seem eager to know about Taeyeon.

“Wait, you hate your Omma?”

“I don’t even know if I hate her. But I’m pretty sure I don’t like her for now. Never mind about me; but she has a certain responsibility towards you. She hurt you. She should beg for your forgiveness instead of disappearing without a trace.”

“Irene..”

“Mommy, I would like to take this opportunity to urge you to move on. If this new lady makes you happy, then you should give this person a chance.”

“You’re going to give me your blessings aren’t you?”

“Yes, like I’ve said before, I just want you to be happy.”

-

Tiffany was surprised when Jessica told her about Yoona. Yuri was glad to learn that Jessica was willing to open up her heart for Yoona. But Tiffany knew her best friend well.

“Yoona’s a little wild sometimes.”

Yuri was offering some insight info about Yoona.

“But she stays faithful once she’s in love.”

Yuri added that last bit to assure Jessica about her cousin’s heart.

“It’s just a dating phase, Yuri. We haven’t reached to that level yet.”

“I understand.”

Jessica smiled at Yuri before she continues to prepare her daughter’s breakfast. Tiffany was sitting at the dining table; still staring at Jessica for the whole time. Yuri noticed it.

“Why are you staring at Jessica like that?”

“I’m just shocked.”

“Why?”

Jessica turned to face Tiffany.

“I tried to introduce you to some ladies before but you were so adamant not to date anymore. You were pissed off when I tried to arrange for a blind date. And now you’re so willing to give Yoona a chance. What changed you?”

Jessica smiled before passing a plate of pancakes to Tiffany. Yuri was already eating hers as she listened in to their conversation.

“Irene changed me.”

“I should have known.”

Yuri smiled.

“I told Irene about Taeyeon.”

“What?”

“I told her honestly that I still love Taeyeon. I told Yoona the same thing but Yoona wouldn’t take no. And Irene urged me to move on.”

Tiffany’s frown faded away; replaced with her eye-smiles.

“So only your daughter can change your mind, huh?”

“She’s the centre of my life now.”

“That’s great to know. It’s not that I’m against you dating Yoona but I wanted you to be sure of yourself first. I don’t wish to see anyone get hurt especially you again.”

“And I don’t wish to see my cousin getting hurt as well.”

Yuri added on.

“I know. I know both of you care for me the most. I couldn’t express how grateful I am towards the both of you. You helped me so much and especially you, Tiffany. You went through thick and thin with me.”

Tiffany stood up and pulled Jessica closer.  Her best friend for over 20 years was slowly changing back to Soo Yeon.

“You’re becoming more like Soo Yeon now.”

Jessica smiled. It has been a long time since she last heard that name.

“I still prefer Jessica though.”

“Yeah, me too. I think Jessica makes you stronger.”

The two best friends giggled before deepened their hugs.

“A-hem.”

The best friends looked at a certain direction. Yuri was staring at them intently.

“I know this is a moving moment but you’re hugging my girlfriend too tightly.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes and Jessica grinned widely. She had to tease Yuri.

“Seriously, Yuri?”

“Hey, I’m just protecting my property.”

“Yuri!”

Tiffany was embarrassed but Yuri was nonchalant.

“What?”

“This is so cute. Is Yoona going to be like this too?”

Tiffany stared at Jessica who suddenly became giggly. Yuri chuckled.

“Yoona’s going to keep you in her sight 24/7.”

“That’s cool. I think I should try to enjoy this dating phase with her.”

“Yes you should. And if you can move on, please do.”

Jessica nodded.

-

Irene was waiting for her mother. She had just finished work and she was supposed to have dinner with her mother and her new girlfriend. Irene was nervous.

Yoona was rushing too. She had booked a cab since she didn’t want to be late for the dinner. The taxi was already waiting for her and Irene was sitting at the lift lobby. Yoona stopped to ask if she needed a lift.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m waiting for Mommy.”

“Oh? So you don’t need a lift?”

“It’s okay, Miss Im. You seemed to be in a rush.”

“Err, yeah. I have an appointment and I don’t want to be late.”

“Then you should get going. I’ll be fine. Mommy’s not here yet.”

“Okay! I’ll see you tomorrow!”

Yoona hopped into the cab and it drove off immediately.  Soon after, her Mommy’s car appeared. Irene got up and ran towards her.

“Mommy!”

Irene stopped short when she saw her mother. She was wearing her white pants with a white see-through top.  Irene could see her mother’s black bra and the younger girl was cautious of herself.

“What’s wrong?”

“Mommy looks so beautiful.”

The younger girl mumbled.

“What?”

“You’re so beautiful, Mommy.”

“And you’re having a crush on your Mommy?”

“I’m not as beautiful as Mommy.”

“Who said so?”

“I said so!”

Jessica giggled before motioned her to get in. Irene dumped her bag at the back seat and Jessica drove almost immediately.

“Irene ah, you’re amazing. You have beautiful snowy white skin.”

“People used to tease me.”

“What? What did they say?”

“I’m a snowgirl.”

Jessica laughed.

“Do you know what Mommy’s nickname is before?”

Irene shook her head.

“Ice Princess.”

Irene giggled.

“So I’m still indeed Mommy’s daughter. You’re Ice Princess and I’m snowgirl! We’re just too cool for some people.”

Jessica laughed heartily. Irene’s indeed her beloved daughter.

-

“OH MY GOD!”

“MISS IM?!”

“You two know each other?”

The dinner date was chaotic. Yoona was waiting nervously for Jessica and her daughter. She had booked a private dining room so that she could put on an impressive first impression. But she was stunned when Irene walked in behind Jessica. Irene was taken aback to see her second boss in the middle of the room.

“Wait, this is your daughter? Irene Jung is your daughter!?”

“Yeah, she’s my daughter, Yoona.”

“Mom, you’re dating Miss Im?”

“Miss Im? Wait, is she your boss?”

“Irene’s an intern at my company!”

“Oh dear.”

“My girlfriend’s daughter has been working for me all the time and I don’t have a clue at all!”

Yoona’s nervousness was replaced with embarrassment and Irene was amused. Her mother’s face was equally red as Miss Im’s face. She found them cute together.

“Mommy, why didn’t you tell me you’re dating my boss?”

“I thought you said your boss’s first name is Miss Kim?”

“She’s the CEO. Miss Im is the GM.”

“Jessica, I’ve never been so embarrassed in my whole life.”

The dinner was a happy occasion. Irene had no helms in letting her mother dating her GM. And Yoona had promised Irene that she would never hurt her mother. She would try in her capacity to give her mother the best of her.

Well, Jessica was just glad that there were no awkward moments throughout the dinner. Irene was completely comfortable with Yoona and Jessica observed how Yoona could easily make her daughter smile.

Her daughter’s wish was for her to be happy. Jessica had the same wish too.

-

Erika met up with Sunny. The pair had dinner together. Hyoyeon had to teach dance classes so she didn’t go with Sunny. But she sent Wendy as her representative.

“So, how’s Seoul for you?”

Erika was biting into her steak when Sunny threw that question at her. She nodded while chewing her meat properly. Wendy was picking prawns from her mother’s pasta. She didn’t really pay attention to the conversation.

“Seoul’s fine. I’m getting adjusted to it.”

“Singapore’s always hot and humid, right?”

“Yeah, we hardly have to wear winter clothes.”

Sunny smiled as she dumped her pasta on her daughter’s plate. Wendy was surprised when her mother asked her to finish up.

“You’re not eating, Momo?”

“You’re eating my ingredients so might as well you finish my pasta for me.”

“Hee~”

Erika looked on as Sunny wiped her daughter’s mouth with her napkin. The girl might be in her teens but she could see the girl’s full of aegyo; just like Sunny.

“Can you eat properly?”

“It’s too delicious!”

“You’re 18 not 8.”

Wendy stuck her tongue out and Erika giggled softly. Sunny rolled her eyes before leaving Wendy alone. She focused on Erika instead.

“How’s the search?”

“Huh?”

“Soo Yeon and your daughter.”

Erika ceased eating. That question would always hit her raw nerve.

“I don’t know where to start.”

“Did you try to find her in your hometown?”

“My brother helped me once. He said Soo Yeon is no longer staying here. Her family has moved to America.”

“Oh? So she’s in America now?”

“No, only her sister and her parents moved.”

“Soo Yeon is still in here?”

“Maybe she is.”

“Then find her, Taeyeon.”

Erika looked on.

“You owe her an apology. And you owe your daughter an explanation why you’re not there with her and her mom.”

Erika nodded solemnly.

-

Jessica and Yoona were taking a stroll along the beach. Jessica sent her daughter home by cab as the girl was already yawning away after dinner. Yoona was tickled by Irene’s cuteness.

“Does she always sleep early?”

“I think it’s her habit.”

“Her habit?”

“When she was younger, she would always sleep early so that she could wake up early in the morning to catch a glimpse of me.”

Yoona was taken aback.

“I told you before. I wasn’t close to her.”

“I know.”

“She would wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning and that would be the time I’d normally get home. If she’s awake, she would greet me. But most of the time she was still sleeping. And I’d secretly kiss her forehead and I didn’t realize she was aware of it.”

Yoona felt sorry for Irene and Jessica. Circumstances must have pushed Jessica to treat her daughter shabbily. She suddenly felt angry at that woman who left Jessica.

“Her mother had never try to look for her?”

Jessica shook her head sadly.

“And you have never tracked her down for the sake of your daughter?”

“I was too blind by then. I turned my back on my daughter, Yoona. It’s something that I’m not proud of.  That’s why I’m involving my daughter in anything pertaining with my life. And that includes you.”

Yoona smiled. She was glad Jessica decided to take things slow.

“I’m aware that you still have her in your heart.  But I’ll try my best to give you the best of me and support Irene in any ways that I could. I’m not trying to replace her but Irene needs more than just love now. I just want her to know that she has me too now.”

“Well, it’s easy for you since she has a good impression of you.”

“But she’s closer to Erika.”

“Erika?”

“Erika Kim, our CEO. She’s the one who employed her. Irene’s professor is her good friend.”

“Oh.”

“Irene admires her.”

“She mentioned her once or twice.”

“Yeah, she’s Miss Kim to Irene. Erika treats her like her own daughter.”

“I see. Can you thank Miss Kim for me?”

“Why?”

“For giving Irene a chance to work at your company and for taking good care of Irene when she’s at work.”

“Well, I will but from now own, I’ll be taking care of Irene.”

Jessica smiled.

“She’s my daughter too now.”

Jessica pulled Yoona closer and hugged her out of gratitude.

“Thank you for your understanding, Yoona.”

Yoona nodded and smiled.

-