Chapter 22

녹 (Rust)

Irene was sitting on the stone seats in the small garden situated right in the middle of the hospital. Her eyes were completely red and swollen.  Her hands trembled so badly and her heart ached so badly. She stared aimlessly into the blank space. It was so crazy earlier on. She had never been in such situation before.

It was torturing and heart-wrenching hour as Irene and Jessica waited outside the operating theatre earlier on. Tiffany, Yuri, Sunny, Hyoyeon, Soo Young and Yoona rushed over. It was a heart-warming sight for Irene who didn’t realize how many people actually cared for her Omma.

They came without hesitation and comforted her and her Mommy especially Yoona omma who became the pillar for both Jessica and Irene. Irene watched in silence as her Mommy buried her face in Yoona omma’s neck and cried bitterly.

She started to wonder.  Does her Mommy still love her Omma?  She saw how tense she was when they were rushing Taeyeon to the hospital. It must have been nerve-wrecking for her Mommy.

“Unnie?”

Irene’s trail of thoughts was interrupted by a voice. Irene looked up. It was Wendy.

“What are you doing here alone?”

Wendy was there earlier. The girl became Irene’s support ever since Taeyeon was wheeled into the operating theatre.

Irene shook her head. Wendy managed a soft smile before she settled down next to her.

“You’re worried for your mother, right?”

Irene kept still. She wasn’t too sure if she was.

“You cried because you’re afraid to lose her, right?”

Irene turned to look at Wendy who still had that smile on her face.  Wendy understood what Irene went through. She just wanted to be supportive.

“I don’t even know what I’m feeling right now. I have to admit, I was a little shaken when the nurses and doctors exchanged grave looks with one another after briefly checking on Omma.  And when they wheeled her in, the doctor advised us to be prepared.”

“Prepared for the worse?”

“He didn’t say that but I assumed it is.”

“And then how did you feel?”

Irene stared at her own hands. She could still feel the warmth of her Omma’s on hers. She held on them tightly earlier on.

“I don’t remember. All I could remember was I held her hands tightly and urged her to hang on.”

Wendy smiled widely and put her arm around Irene’s shoulders.

“My momo is right. You’re as sweet as your Mommy. You’re a sensible and filial daughter. You have a good heart.”

“What do you mean?”

“You may be mad on the outside but on the inside, there’s a tiny part of you which still cares for that same person who abandoned you and your Mommy. You’re just confused, unnie.”

“I guess so.”

“Well, at least you have the chance to know your flesh and blood mother. You have two beautiful mothers - one who gave you life and the other who carried you wherever she went. She must have gone through so much when she was pregnant with you. And now you have them with you. Unlike me, I don’t even have the chance to meet my flesh and blood mother forever.”

Irene’s eyes grew larger.

“Momo and Mama adopted me when I was little. I grew up with a lesbian couple and everyone started judging me. Friends at school often made fun of me; ostracized me or even bullied me in school.  Honestly, I used to resent my family. And then I started to wonder who my father was. So I kept running from home until Mama found me and took me home. I thought I was dead meat when I returned because Momo was rather fierce with me back then.”

Wendy’s eyes glistened as she told her past story.

“But I was surprised to find Momo rushing up to me and hugged me tightly. She was crying and she kept thanking God for protecting me. I was a little puzzled at first. I wasn’t her real daughter but the way she reacted was like I meant the world to her. That was the same night I found out about my real parents. They adopted me from the orphanage. My parents were killed in an accident and I was saved. The doctors managed to take me out of my mom’s womb in time before she died .Momo said she got to see me for the first hour and managed to carry me in her arms.”

Irene was stunned to hear Wendy’s story.

“I cried after that. I suddenly felt thankful for Momo and Mama. They adopted me and raised me up the best that they could. I told myself that I shouldn’t be ungrateful. If not for my Momo and Mama, I might be living alone without any family love.”

Wendy smiled widely.  Irene felt small after listening to Wendy’s story. The latter was right. Irene was the luckier one if compared with Wendy. At least her flesh and blood mother was still alive.

“Wow, I suddenly felt I’m lucky.”

“You ought to. Well, I’m always feeling lucky because my mothers love me. And I definitely love them to death. Maybe it would be different with yours because you were abandoned by your mother since you were born. I mean that’s sad. But I’m sure you have heard her side of the story, right?”

Irene nodded.

“Can you accept it?”

“She went through a lot too.”

“She did?”

“She explained to Mommy why she couldn’t return and she told me she wouldn’t mind if I couldn’t forgive her.  She said she just wanted to be given the chance to explain the reasons why she couldn’t come back before.”

“So did you stop and listen to her?”

Irene nodded. And Wendy was grinning widely.

“I assumed you’re slowly accepting her?”

“Hm?”

“The things happened earlier on proved a lot about you and your feelings.”

Irene shook her head with a smile.

“Don’t belittle yourself. Everyone was surprised with what you did.”

Flashback

“Jessica!”

Yoona came running towards her girlfriend and her daughter who was staring into blank space. Irene was shaking with fear and uncertainties. There she was earlier on; standing in front of her; she was ready to give the woman a chance to start all over for her Mommy’s sake but when the woman collapsed in front of her eyes, Irene was terrified.

Her heart was beating rapidly as she held the collapsed woman in her arms.  Was God trying to punish her for ignoring and rebelling against her mothers? What if her Omma died without giving her a chance to let her know better? What would she do?

“Yoona, Taeyeon... Taeyeon’s inside..”

“Calm down, baby. Just calm down.”

“She just collapsed and then struggled to breathe. Dr Shim’s expression was grim when he checked on her earlier on. He even told us to be prepared! I’m scared, Yoona!”

Irene watched as her Mommy crumbled as she was worried for her Omma. Her Mommy must be really concerned for her Omma. She must have loved her Omma a lot to be this scared to lose her.

“Erika will be fine. She’ll be okay. I make sure she will survive this.”

Irene focused her attention to the other woman – Yoona. What went on this woman’s mind boggles Irene greatly? Where did her selflessness come from? How could she still remain by her Mommy’s side, knowing that if her mothers’ feelings rekindle; she would be at the losing end? How would this benefit her?

“Irene? Are you okay, sweetie?”

Irene didn’t realize Yoona was now kneeling down in front of her. She looked up briefly to find her Mommy Tiffany and Mommy Yuri comforting her Mommy. She turned back to stare deep into Yoona’s eyes.

“Irene?”

“Yoona omma...”

“I know you’re scared. Don’t be okay? I believe your Taeyeon Omma will hang on for her dear life.”

“I told her I would give her a chance if she did.”

Yoona smiled and nodded as she cuddled the poor girl tightly.

“Then she would hang on. She won’t give up. Trust her, okay? I know it’s hard but just trust her for the first time; just this once.”

Irene nodded and she soon found herself surrounded by people whom care a great big deal about her; people who love her and people who have been supporting her all this while.  Then she smiled when she saw a familiar person came running around; probably searching for them.

“Professor Choi!”

Irene called out and the lady was thankful to find familiar faces. She ran towards her. Irene was the first to reach her and wrapped her arms around Professor Choi tightly. The latter was taken aback.

“I told her I’d give her a chance but then she suddenly collapsed! Now I’m scared!”

Professor Choi was tearing up but her arms were still protectively embracing Irene. For some reason, everybody in that room just wanted to protect the poor child. Professor Choi wiped Irene’s tears away.

“She’ll be fine.”

“You’re scared too, right?”

“I am but I’m sure she’s going to make it.”

Irene then turned to look at her mother who was puzzled with Irene’s sudden closeness with another woman. She then pulled away and knelt down in front of her mother.

Jessica was staring at her daughter; tears were flowing freely. Irene could almost feel the pain her mother was feeling. Probably she was feeling the worst right now since she had the privilege to love her Omma and she did, whole-heartedly.

“Mommy, this is my professor. She taught me at my university. She’s Taeyeon Omma’s good friend. She was the one who rescued Taeyeon Omma when she was in Singapore. She told me everything. She gave me a reason to give Taeyeon Omma another chance.”

Jessica was taken aback but nevertheless stood up and took Soo Young’s hands.

“You’re Professor Choi?”

“Yes I am. Nice to meet you, Miss Jung.”

Jessica took a good look at the person in front of her; from head to toe. Her eyes were red but her smile was still intact.

“Thank you for saving my family.”

Soo Young looked a little lost.

“I beg your pardon?”

“First you saved Taeyeon and now you’re saving my daughter. You managed to convince her to give Taeyeon a chance to know her better.”

“I just told her the truth, Miss Jung. Irene has always been sensible and smart. She cares for her family even though she might be hostile towards Erika. But I’ve always believe if you give Irene a chance to straighten her mind, she would open up to Erika.”

“Yes, but it’s too late. We’re not sure if Taeyeon’s going to make it.”

“I’m sure Taeyeon would take this chance seriously. She’s not going to give up on her life because today is the day she would make it up to her daughter and her wife. I know she would make it tonight.”

Irene then smiled widely. She felt blessed to know that both of her mothers have other women who love them so much. Jessica Mommy has Yoona Omma. Taeyeon Omma has Professor Choi. She then stood up and smiled.

“I think she will make it. She needs to know that Mommy still cares a lot about her; that Professor Choi still loves her and that her daughter still wants to have this chance to know her better.”

Everybody turned to look at her including Sunny and her family. They were pleasantly surprised to hear those words from Irene.

“Irene..”

Jessica spread her arms wide open and Irene ran towards her.

“If Taeyeon Omma survives, let’s learn to live with her as a family all over again.”

Jessica nodded her head profusely.

-

Wendy was terrorizing Irene after the short talk. The pair was hungry, well it was more of Wendy being the whiny one and Irene, the older girl, was obligated to feed her.

“YA! WENDY!”

Wendy turned; Irene followed suit. Irene was surprised to find Seulgi and Joy walking towards them.

“They’re here to show you support.”

Wendy nudged Irene in her ribs.

“Huh?”

“They have always been worried about you. I keep updating them about you.”

“Oh, thanks Wendy.”

“Well, they came at the right time. You got to fork out more money.”

Irene laughed and nodded her head.

“I don’t mind; the more the merrier.”

So the four girls headed to the nearest pantry. Sunny and Hyoyeon were watching them from just now and was all smiles when they saw Irene’s smiling face. Sunny, in particular, was really glad that Irene had straightened her thoughts.

“Why are you smiling?”

“I’m so glad Irene has decided to give Taeyeon another chance.”

“Kim Taeyeon is a lucky woman. Her life has always been blessed.”

“I agree. And I’m so glad that she pulled through.”

Hyoyeon nodded.

“Yes, I prayed really hard for the first time in my life.”

Sunny was grateful towards her wife and turned to face her. Hyoyeon’s the laidback kind but she had been a great pillar of support earlier on.

“Thank you, wifey.”

“You’re welcome, Soon Kyu.”

Sunny slapped her on her back. Well, she’s not only laidback but Kim Hyoyeon can be annoying too. She just loves to get beaten up by her wife, Soon Kyu.

-

Yoona was alone at the small garden. She spotted Irene with Wendy at the pantry. She smiled when she spotted Irene. Her radiance was back.  And Yoona was thankful for that.  She was extremely relieved when Dr Shim came out from the operating theatre with a smile on his face.

“She made it. She’s a big fighter. But she’s weak though and needs to be admitted. I’ll do all I can to help her.”

There were his first words and everybody heaved in relief. Jessica broke down again and Irene was the first to reach out for her mother. Yoona stood aside; not wanting to disturb them. It was time for her to take the back seat; giving Taeyeon a chance to win them over.

So, here she was; sitting in the garden by herself. There were many things going through her mind and Yoona had to admit that she was feeling jittery to let Jessica go if she had to. It was easier said than done but she had already made a promise to herself that she should give the couple a chance.

She was not going to be the one spoiling this moment when Irene had agreed to start over with her Omma all over again.

Unknowingly, tears fell as Yoona’s trail of thoughts flashed through her mind. She loves Jessica. She fell for her on the first sight. It took her awhile to win Jessica over but now it would be futile for her efforts. As painful as it gets, Yoona was still appreciative of the final outcome.

Erika was forgiven not only by her wife, but also her daughter. It was a big achievement and Yoona knew Erika would never let this slip from her fingers. And Yoona wouldn’t want to be the one coming in between them anymore.

“Why are you crying here all alone?”

Yoona was startled by the sudden intrusion. She quickly peered over her shoulders to find Soo Young smiling at her.

“Hey.”

“Mind if I join you?”

“Please do.”

Soo Young took big strides closer to Yoona and sat next to her. Both looked up in the sky. The sun was out but it wasn’t that hot. The clouds were plentiful; sheltering them from the hot sun rays.

“The pain is excruciating and perhaps it’s even difficult to move on.”

“Yeah, the moving on part would probably be tormenting.”

“Will this scar you?”

Yoona shook her head.

“I’ll never regret falling in love with Jessica. She’s perfect. She gives me the reason to be who I am right now. She makes me believe that happiness is not only about receiving but giving too. Even if I have to give her up one day, but if she could find her utmost happiness with Erika, then it’s worth it.”

“That’s how exactly I feel, Yoong.”

“No, you’re different. Your love is too deep; too powerful for anyone to overcome.”

“Well, her happiness is my priority.”

“Unnie, doesn’t it hurt when you realized you could never obtain her heart?”

“It hurts like hell. But I love her too much. So I told myself, I’d just be by her side and be the friend she needs. And I’m pretty sure you’re going to do the same for Miss Jung.”

Yoona smiled in acknowledgement. She sighed and then chuckled softly.

“How stupid are we?”

“We’re not stupid; we’re just ers in love.”

The ill-fated pair could only resign to their fate.

-

Soo Yeon sat close to Taeyeon. She scrutinized Taeyeon’s face gently. The woman was pale looking and the oxygen mask on her face made her looked smaller than she already had.  She was relieved to know that Taeyeon made it and that she fought her way back to life. Dr Shim was completely enthralled with Taeyeon’s fighting spirit but Soo Yeon was grateful that she did.

She took Taeyeon’s frail arm and held on to her palm. Soo Yeon’s lips lingered at the top of Taeyeon’s palm before whispering softly in her ears.

“Thank you for staying alive.”

Soo Yeon was sincerely thankful for Taeyeon’s life.

And just like on cue, Taeyeon’s fingers twitched. Soo Yeon was ecstatic when she noticed Taeyeon’s eyelids were quivering.

“Tae?”

Soo Yeon was on her feet; both of her arms were now on Taeyeon’s shoulders. She shook her wife gently.

“Taeyeon, can you hear me?”

But the movements ceased. Taeyeon’s eyelids stopped quivering and her fingers remained still. But Soo Yeon knew Taeyeon would come around soon. Maybe she was too tired.

“I know you’re tired, Taeyeon. You’ve been fighting with your inner self for so many years. Just take your time, okay? I’m not going anywhere.”

Soo Yeon whispered again before giving Taeyeon a soft kiss on her forehead.

-

Soo Young was left alone with Taeyeon. Soo Yeon was thoughtful to give Soo Young some time alone with Taeyeon. The latter was extremely grateful to Soo Young for saving her family in a way. Soo Young, on the other hand, informed Yoona’s whereabouts to her.

So now she was alone with the woman she loves so much over these years. She never let her love go untold. Her heart was tormented but Soo Young didn’t mind. At least she was by Erika’s side whenever she needed her.

“Erika Kim, do you remember the first time we met? Or rather the first time we encountered each other? You were staring right into my eyes and I couldn’t find anything in yours. They were empty and hollow. Honestly, you scared me. I was terrified of you. I wondered if you were really a human or you were just a lost soul trapped in a human’s body.”

Soo Young smiled as she reminisced about their past.

“But when you were recovering, I saw a different side of you. Your expressions started to change. And when you smiled for the first time at me, my heart fell.”

This was the first time Soo Young confessed her feelings.

“I’m not trying to make your life difficult by confessing now but I know you have finally found your happiness. Jessica and Irene have forgiven you and they are willing to start all over again with you as a family. You got what you prayed for, Erika. They have returned back to you. And I’m sure you would like to hold on to this wonderful opportunity. You should cherish them.”

Soo Young’s voice quivered. She struggled to keep her composure.

“I guess it’s time for me to part from you. You have found your old love. I’ll be leaving soon, Erika. And hopefully I’ll learn to let you go. Please be happy, Erika. I hope your love with Jessica will be ever-lasting this time.”

Soo Young kissed Taeyeon’s forehead and left broken-hearted. And she missed a droplet of tear flowing out from the corner of Taeyeon’s left eye.

-

Jessica found Yoona alone in the garden. Jessica’s heart ached so badly when she noticed Yoona’s swollen eyes.  She ran over to her and pounced on her. Yoona jolted back to reality. She smiled immediately but Jessica was not buying it.

“Please don’t smile.”

“Why? I’m not allowed to smile anymore?”

“No, you’re not allowed to pretend that you’re happy for me.”

Yoona looked away.

“Your heart is tormented. It’s torturing and heart-wrenching to watch me caring for Taeyeon. I know it hurts you like crazy and it hurts me too.”

“I’m sorry, Jessica.”

“No, please don’t apologize. Please don’t say sorry when you didn’t do anything wrong in the first place.”

Yoona smiled and shook her head. She then wiped Jessica’s tears away.

“Erika made it through because of you and Irene. I’m not going to come in between the two of you.”

“Why are you doing this, Yoona? Why are you so selfless? What good did I do to have you?”

“Everything happened for a reason. Nobody could really tell you what’s going to happen next. There’s no way one could predict the future. We live as time unfolds and flows for us.”

“But I’m not ready to give you up.”

Yoona was taken aback when Jessica suddenly stared deep into her eyes.

“You made it sound that you might give up on me really soon. But you don’t have any idea what’s on my mind. You don’t just decide our relationship based on your judgements.”

“What are you trying to say, Jessica? You’re not going to give Erika a chance?”

“We can always live as a family together but I don’t think I can love Taeyeon the same way as I used to before.”

“What?”

“Im Yoona, I’m in love with you. I’ve fallen for you. You have given me this strength to face Taeyeon and accepted this part of my life. I would not throw Taeyeon away. She would always be a part of me and I’ll take care of her if I have to. But my heart is yours, Im Yoona. It has always been yours since the first day you won me over.”

Yoona was stunned with Jessica’s sudden confession. She was prepared to give her up; she was determined to move on if she had to but now the woman declared her love for her.

Her heart was weak again.

“Give me some time, Yoona. Let me sort my issue with Taeyeon out. I promise. I’ll not let you go.”

Yoona was perplexed. This was going to be difficult for her to move on.

-

Tiffany was sitting in the lounge; exhausted with the sudden turn of events. However she was relieved that Taeyeon survived tonight. Yuri was buying some snacks for her and since Tiffany was tired, she asked her girlfriend to wait for her instead.

Tiffany looked out of the window and spotted Jessica and Yoona hugging. Tiffany watched with a sad smile on her face. She had a talk with Jessica earlier on.

Flash back

“So what are you going to do now?”

Jessica was looking at Tiffany as she asked the question.

“Are you returning to Taeyeon?”

“Huh?”

“Jessica, you know you have to make a decision between Yoona and Taeyeon, right? You cannot expect Yoona to be waiting for you for the rest of your life. And what will happen to Taeyeon next? Are you still going to keep her by your side?”

Jessica was slowly turning perplexed. She didn’t really think about this it thoroughly. She was just concerned to get Taeyeon to go for her treatment.

“You didn’t really think much about it, right?”

“You’re right. It didn’t really cross my mind that way.”

“Well, if you can keep Taeyeon by your side and continue to have a relationship with Yoona, will you jump into it?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, you can still have a family life with Taeyeon. You can share responsibility of Irene with Taeyeon; allowing Taeyeon to spend some time with Irene. And at the same time, you can have a relationship with Yoona.”

“You think Yoona will allow?”

“You have to think about it. You have to discuss with the both of them.”

“And Irene too.”

“Irene’s fine. It’s just you and your relationship issues. You really need to sit down and think about it properly. Talk to Yoona about it.”

“I will.”

Tiffany nodded but before she left Jessica to think about the matter, she gently patted on her best friend’s shoulder.

“Search deep in your heart, Jessica. Search for the one you truly love and the one you can never ever let go ever this time. Hold on to that chosen on and make right decisions. You cannot afford to regret anything in your life anymore, Jessica.”

Tiffany walked away after that.

“MOMMY FANY!”

Tiffany was startled when someone pounced on her. She rolled her eyes when she realized it was her god-daughter, Irene.

“Why did you do that? You almost got me a heart attack!”

“You were so deep in your thoughts. I’ve called you for the last 10 minutes.”

“You did?”

Irene pouted her lips as she nodded her head.

“I’m sorry. I was just thinking about things.”

“Are you thinking about Yoona omma?”

“How did you know?”

“I may be young but I know things.”

“Smart alec.”

“No, I’m just being rational!”

“Yes, you are. Where’s Wendy?”

“Oh, she’s with her parents. They are having dinner. I came looking for you. I miss you.”

Tiffany suddenly puffed up her cheeks and pouted.

“Ah, don’t do that!”

“You didn’t return home for weeks!”

“I was at Wendy’s place.”

“You didn’t even call! You don’t love your Mommy Fany anymore!?”

“What?! No, I do! I mean I love you the most!”

“You’re lying! Don’t you love your Mommy Jessica the most?”

“Well, she’s a given reason. But of all my god mommies and all other mommies in my world, I love you the most!”

Tiffany watched as her god daughter tried to put her message across. She even hugged Tiffany tightly when Tiffany tried to pull away.

“You’re so dramatic, Irene Jung.”

“Well, Mommy Fany threatened to throw me away!”

“You know I’ll never do that.”

Irene grinned and Tiffany pulled her nose gently.

“You silly child.”

“I miss you so much, Mommy Fany! Can I sleep with you tonight? Oh wait, I mean some other nights? I think Mommy needs me.”

Tiffany has always been proud of Irene. She raised the child with lots of love and she was glad that Irene didn’t feel any lesser or inadequate. She still loves Jessica the most. But she decided to again.

“I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU MISS ME?!”

“BUT MOMMY JESSICA NEEDS ME!”

“AND I DONT NEED YOU?!”

“YOU HAVE YURI MOMMYY!”

“IM GOING TO TELL YURI MOMMY YOU’RE DUMPING US!”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Tiffany was tickled when Irene tried to prove her undying affections for her.

-

Finally, Irene managed to slip into her Taeyeon Omma’s room alone. Everyone had their chance to visit her and Irene waited patiently for her turn. She wanted to see her alone.

So when Sunny and Hyoyeon had done with their visitation, Irene went up to her Omma’s room and closed the door behind her. She stared at her Omma’s face and she couldn’t deny how much they looked alike. She went over to sit next to Taeyeon and this time, she was a little lot gentler and a smile planted on her lips.

She held her Omma’s hand and spoke softly.

“Thank you for hanging on. Thank you for returning back to us. Truthfully, I was terrified when you collapsed in my arms. I was sincere about giving you a chance and then you fell. It felt like God didn’t want to give me a chance to start over with you. Or maybe it was my punishment for being so stubborn and hostile towards you.”

Irene paused for a second as she pulled the blanket upwards. Taeyeon’s arms were cold.

“But God didn’t fail me. He heard my prayers. I really prayed hard for you to stay alive. I even promised God that I’d be a good daughter to you. Well, I’ll try. You must be puzzled to why I had a change of mind.”

Irene smiled as she thought of her professor.

“Professor Choi was the reason why I changed my mind. I was touched and moved by her sincerity and of course, her love for you. She would do anything just to ensure that you get your happiness that you deserve. It didn’t stop her to try and her efforts paid off because I know she’s worth of your love too.”

The tone of Irene’s voice was slowly getting serious.

“I know you can feel that you’re losing Mommy’s heart to Yoona omma. I can feel it too. I know she loves Yoona omma but she has obligations towards you. Well, I know you want Mommy back but I hope before you decide on that; please think of Professor Choi. Things she had done for you; times when she put you first despite her own; I think she’s worth for you to at least think things over.  I’m not asking you to leave Mommy. No, I won’t allow that. I want you to stay with me. I want Mommy to stay with us. But I do want both of you to seek happiness from the people who actually love you more than you love each other at this moment.”

Irene slowly caressed her Omma’s cheeks and kissed her forehead.

“Maybe your happiness is no longer with Mommy anymore. Perhaps you can find better love and perhaps your happiness is with someone who has been sheltering you; protecting you and loving you for the longest time without your knowledge.”

It was a strong subtle hint in Irene’s words.

She just wanted to set things right.

She just wanted both of her mothers find happiness with the ones who have been protecting them all these while.

-