Chapter 6

녹 (Rust)

Jessica sent her daughter to school. She bundled her up in her favourite winter coat and specially designed a baby pink shawl with her daughter’s initials on it. Jessica sewed it from scratch and Irene treats it like a precious gem.

“Here, let Mommy fix that for you.”

Jessica re-adjusted the shawl neatly. Today was the first day Irene would start her internship at the company. Jessica agreed to let her take up the intern during her term holidays.

“Now, you will be working in an office so you must listen to your superior well, okay?”

“I will, Mommy!”

“I’m looking forward to have you with me when you graduate later.”

“You’re going to allow me to work with you?”

“Of course! You’ll be my successor.”

Irene beamed proudly and Jessica cupped her cheeks gently. She kissed her daughter’s forehead and tapped on her shoulders lightly.

“You can do it. I’ll pick you up from work and you can tell me everything over dinner.”

“Okay!”

“Love you, baby.”

“Love you too, Mommy!”

Irene grabbed her bag and gave her mother a kiss on her cheek. The smile on Jessica’s face was from ear to ear and Jessica sighed when Irene disappeared around the corner. Their relationship has improved so much over the weeks.

Jessica got involved with her daughter’s activities in university. She finally met Professor Choi and was proud of Irene when the professor spoke highly of her.  Jessica found out that Irene is allergic to nuts just like Taeyeon and she hates the smell of cucumbers. Tiffany teased Jessica. She blamed Jessica for passing on her weird allergies to her daughter. 

Jessica finally sat down and looked through all of Irene’s childhood photos. She could remember them vividly but she just wanted to re-embrace her past with Irene and definitely looking forward to build a better relationship; mother-daughter bond stronger.

Suddenly her phone rang and her assistant called.

“Juhyun ah, is there anything?”

“Sica unnie, I’m just reminding you about the appointment with Miss Kim in an hour’s time.”

“Yeah, I’m on my way now.”

“Okay, I’ll see you there.”

“Sure, see you.”

Jessica quickly drove off to her appointment at the nearby town. She was meeting a Miss Kim for her dance studio.  She’s keen to make use of powerful marketing and advertising; Juhyun introduced Jessica to her.

It took her less than twenty minutes before she found herself at the entrance of the dance studio. There was a class going on and Jessica saw a couple of young children dancing their hearts away. She chuckled softly as the children were probably around 6-8 years old; learning hip hop. Right in the middle of the studio was a blonde lady. She was teaching dance steps to the children.

“Okay, let’s move our feet like this.”

The children were serious and paid full attention to the dance instructor. Well, not all of them did. Some were doing their own stuff.  There was another girl around 18 years old; probably the assistant to the instructor; teaching the slow ones some steps as well.

“Wendy, can you teach Yoon Ho?”

“Yes, Omma!”

The younger lady skipped across the hall and there was a 5 year old boy struggled to follow through. He pouted his lips when he couldn’t catch up. The younger lady picked him up and kissed his cheeks.

“Why are you frowning away?”

“I can never follow the steps.”

“Well, you’re doing well. I saw you earlier on.”

“How can that be? Jun Hee can turn one circle without falling off.”

“Jun Hee has been learning a lot longer than you. He couldn’t control his feet too. He fell off a couple of times but he made it after many practices.”

“How long did he take to learn?”

“A couple of months.”

“THAT LONG?!”

The younger boy pouted his lips again. Jessica giggled softly. The child was whiny and it reminded her of Irene when she wanted Jessica to carry her instead of Tiffany.  Her smile faded when she remembered why Irene was whining because she was running high temperature. But Jessica insisted that she was busy and Yuri ended rushing Irene to the hospital.

Tiffany was extremely pissed with her at that moment. They fought over it when Yuri called from the hospital informing that Irene was detained by the doctor. She had pneumonia. Honestly, Jessica was a little terrified when she heard that but she refused to show it to Tiffany.

But Jessica would visit her daughter when there was no one around. Tiffany and Yuri knew Jessica would rather die than to admit that she was worried about Irene. For some reason, Jessica nursed Irene back to good health secretly. She was only there at night when Irene was fast asleep and left in the morning before Irene woke up.

Jessica’s thoughts were interrupted.

“Hi? Can I help you?”

It was the younger lady. She was all smiles.

“Uh, I’m looking for Miss Kim Hyoyeon.”

“Oh, that’s my Ma. Hang on.”

Jessica was stunned for a second when the girl screamed out loudly.

“MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMA!”

“WHAT?!”

“There’s a pretty lady looking for you!”

“Who?”

“I don’t know!”

“Ask her name then!”

“Geez!”

The lady turned to face Jessica again and the older woman was already prepared with her name card.

“I’m Jessica Jung. We have an appointment at 11am.”

“Oh! Auntie Juhyun introduced you to Mama, right?”

“Ah yes, she did.”

“Wait here.”

Once again, the shouting began.

“MAMA! IT’S AUNTIE JUHYUN’S FRIEND!”

“OH! Let her in!”

“And then?”

“And then what?”

“Do I call Momo?”

“Why do you need to call you Momo for?”

“She’s pretty!”

“Don’t talk nonsense! Continue teaching the children.”

Jessica was amused at first but put on a professional front when the blonde woman appeared in front of her.

“Hi, I’m Hyoyeon. You’re Jessica?”

“Yes, it’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s my pleasure! Come in.”

Hyoyeon let Jessica up to her office with the girl’s hawk eyes focused on them.

“Your daughter seems protective of you.”

“She listens to her Momo too much.”

“Momo?”

“Oh, I’m married to my girlfriend and we adopted her.”

Hyoyeon pointed to the girl.

“I see. So Momo is your wife?”

“Yes, she’s like her Momo’s spy. I used to teach young ladies salsa. Her Momo didn’t appreciate it much so she sent this toad to watch on me.”

Hyoyeon made face at her daughter and Jessica was all smiles. Just then, the girl came into the room.

“Do you need any drinks?”

“It’s okay, I’m fine.”

“I’m Wendy!”

“Ah, that’s a nice name.”

“Well, Mama decided to name me after her favourite cartoon character.”

Jessica gave a questioning look as Hyoyeon was triumphant over her embarrassed daughter.

“Wendy’s a cute name.”

“If I were a boy, are you planning to name me Peter?”

“If you’re a boy, your name will be Peter Pan.”

“Mama, you’re ridiculous!”

“So be thankful that your name is Wendy!”

The mother and daughter had a staring game with Jessica stuck in between. But she didn’t feel uncomfortable. In fact, she was amused and entertained by the lovely relationship. If she was close to Irene, she might have this kind of love-hate relationship.

“Momo asked if you’re coming home for lunch.”

“I am. I’m having a business proposal with Miss Jung. You can sit in with me if you want to.”

“I’d love to but I’m meeting Seulgi!”

“Why aren’t you in class today?”

“Mama, it’s the holidays. Those kids outside are having holidays too that’s why they are here in such early morning!”

“Ah, that’s right. Okay, run along now. I’m busy.”

Hyoyeon was shooing her daughter away but not before Wendy leapt forward and kissed her.

“I love you, Mama!”

“So much for arguing and fighting with me.”

“You’re easier to argue with. Momo is scary.”

Hyoyeon ruffled her daughter’s hair before kicking the girl out of the door. Wendy was left with the children.

“Now, where were we?”

“Your daughter’s lovely.”

“We pamper her too much.”

“But she makes you happy, right?”

“Yeah, she does. Her arrival to us is like an angel from heaven. My wife was so happy when she held Wendy in her arms for the first time. She was left alone at the orphanage so we thought we should shower all of our love and attention on her.”

Jessica felt remorseful towards Irene. She made a silent promise that she was going to treat Irene better than before.

-

“You love the apartment, right?”

“It’s fine though a little expensive.”

“Oh come on, $5K a month is still manageable.”

“The company’s deducting this from your salary. You realize that, right?”

Yoona was silent before pouted her lips.

“So $10K a month was basically a 50-50 from your salary and mine?”

“Now you know.”

“, you could have given me a head’s up!”

“Well, you said it’s manageable.”

“Whatever.”

Erika was teasing Yoona. Of course the company was going to cover the rental course. Erika was expecting $8K-$10K a month but $5K a month was a good steal.

“How long is the lease?”

“I put it up for a year.”

“Okay, so we have made 3 months advance payment?”

“Yeah, you signed the cheque two days ago, remember?”

“I don’t really check the accounts or cheques that come to me.”

“People could swindle you of the company’s funds and you would have no idea about it.”

Erika grinned.

“That’s why I have an excellent general manager who keeps things in check.”

“Yes yes, buttering me up.”

“But you like it!”

“Shut up, cook dinner. I’m starving.”

“I’m not your slave!”

“Then order something. I’m hungrrryyyy~!”

Yoona was such a child. Erika couldn’t stand it.

“If you’re my daughter, I would kill you by now.”

Yoona smiled widely before sticking her tongue out. She gave Erika some spare cash before heading to her bedroom.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to take a nap. Call me when the food comes.”

The door was slammed and Erika was so tempted to jump on her. But Erika was a little hungry too so she ordered pizza online. She then proceeded to turn on the television and sat comfortably on the sofa. She remembered she had to look through some documents so she pulled out files from her briefcase.

She was going to take it slow today.  Erika learnt to relax a little; thanks to her new intern, Irene. She was in the office today and Erika was impressed at how fast Irene could catch up with her training.

It didn’t take long to teach Irene as she learnt the ropes of marketing. She made her an assistant to her marketing manager. Her manager was speaking highly of Irene on the first day.

“Miss Kim, can we keep Irene?”

“She’s not a pet.”

“I mean, can you employ her when she graduates or something?”

“Why?”

“She has a good positive mind and learning attitude. I’m really impressed with her knowledge.”

“She’s here for the next 3 years as an intern. She will work here during her term holidays.”

“Awesome! Can you put her in my department each time she comes back?”

“You really like her so much, Sunmi?”

“She’s really good!”

“I’ll talk to her about that. So where’s she now?”

“She’s having her lunch break. It’s lunch time.”

“Oh, I didn’t realize.”

“Give yourself a break, boss. You’ll die of work some day.”

“Shut up, and buy me lunch.”

“I’m on my way. See you later.”

Sunmi left Erika’s room and the boss was left alone. She had a stiff neck and tried to crack it. Unfortunately the stiffness was just too much to handle.

“You need a hand?”

Erika was startled by the sudden intrusion. She turned and found Irene at the foot of her office door.

“Oh, Irene. Come in.”

“You have a stiff neck?”

“Err, yeah.”

“Do you need a massage?”

“Huh?”

“Mommy loves my massages. She said it feels really good. Do you want to try?”

“Okay, why not?”

Irene stood behind Erika and her fingers gently massaged Erika’s neck and shoulders. It felt really good. Irene really knew where to touch.

“Wow, this is good.”

“I told you.”

“Where do you learn to massage?”

“It’s a natural gift.”

“Right.”

Erika chuckled softly as Irene winked at her. The girl was really down to earth and friendly. Erika enjoyed her company and Irene even thought her a few tricks to prevent stiff necks.

“Are you sure this pillow works?”

Irene gave Erika a U-shaped pillow. She bought it for her Mommy before and also for her Mommy Fany and Mommy Yuri. They love it. So she bought one for herself to put in the office.

“Try it.”

Erika tried it nevertheless. Irene was right. It felt really good; the U-shape curve was perfectly aligned to her neck. Erika could almost fall asleep.

“This is good.”

“Your neck feels better?”

“Yeah a little, thank you so much.”

“Keep it then.”

“What? No, I cannot do that.”

“Just use it. Keep it in your room. You need it more than me.”

Irene smiled and Erika was amused at how generous and kind Irene was. Her mother really taught her well.

“Your mother must be proud of you. You’re such a nice kid.”

“Yes, she does! I’m just glad our relationship gets better now.”

“She must have loved you a lot.”

Irene flashed a cute and adorable smile as she nodded like a child.

“I love her a lot too. I love her the most now.”

Erika nodded.

-

Erika smiled as she thought of Irene. She hoped her daughter would be like Irene somehow. Irene makes her feel so comfortable being around her.

The pizza came and Yoona devoured them without hesitation. Erika rolled her eyes but she was too elated to pick a fight with her.

“Okay, I’m going out.”

“Sure.”

“I’ll be back late.”

“Since when you’re home early?”

“Fine~ I’ll see you around.”

“Where are you going anyway?”

“I’m going to my cousin’s place. Do you want to come along?”

Erika shook her head. She’s not good with strangers.

“Fine by me. Stay home and be a good girl. I’ll be back soon.”

Yoona left and Erika was left alone at home.  She looked around the apartment and felt happy with it. She fell in love with the sea view and Yoona gave her the biggest room. Erika decided she should hang out tonight.

They needed to stock up their refrigerator so Erika headed to the nearest market.

-

“Momo~”

“Yes?”

“Where’s Mama?”

“She’s still at the studio.”

“Oh, isn’t she joining us?”

“She will when she’s done with the classes.”

“Okay.”

Wendy was at the supermarket with her Momo. She was pushing the cart around as her Momo stocked it up with the necessities. Wendy enjoyed such shopping trips with her Momo.

“Wendy, aren’t you buying anything?”

“I want chocolates!”

“One box will do.”

“Okay!”

A child is always a child. Her Momo doesn’t restrict her if she wants to eat snacks or chocolates. Her Momo loves her too much and her Mama often chides her Momo for pampering Wendy too much.

“Momo! Do you want ice cream?”

“What do they have?”

“I don’t know. Let’s check it out!”

Wendy ran towards the ice cream section with her Momo rushing behind her. And instead of ice cream, Wendy knocked into someone else instead.

“I’m sorry!”

Wendy was stunned when the person sprawled onto the floor.

“I must be really old now.”

“I’m sorry, ahjumma!”

“It’s fine. I’m okay.”

The ahjumma got up on her feet but then she heard her Momo exclaimed loudly.

“KIM TAEYEON!”

Wendy stared at the ahjumma and her Momo as they hugged each other tightly.

-

“Soon Kyu! Ow!”

“I’ve changed my name to Sunny.”

“What’s wrong with your real name?”

“Shut up! Where have you been?! We were searching for you!”

“I’m sorry, I had to leave.”

Erika saw her old friend, Sunny. She introduced Wendy to Erika.

“Wow, you’re married too?”

“Yes, I got married to Kim Hyoyeon and adopted Wendy two years later.”

“So this is Wendy?”

“Yeah, Wendy, greet Taeyeon yimu.”

“Oh, hi Taeyeon yimu.”

“You’re really pretty.”

Wendy smiled widely. Sunny invited Erika back to their house. Hyoyeon was already at home.

“Sunny?”

“Baby, you’re home.”

“Yes, and you brought someone.”

“Hyoyeon, meet my long time friend, Kim Taeyeon.”

Hyoyeon nodded. She knew who Taeyeon was. Hyoyeon used to be jealous of her because Sunny was exceptionally close to her.

“Please don’t tell me you’re still jealous of me?”

Erika knew.

“Well, not anymore. I’m married to her now.”

Hyoyeon smiled gleefully and Erika laughed.

“You finally got her, huh?”

“It was difficult, okay! You were always in the way!”

“Well, not anymore.”

“Yeah, I heard you were married?”

Erika’s smile faded but she managed a soft nod. Sunny was pinching Hyoyeon’s thighs. Wendy was already in her room.

“Hey, don’t do that. I’m fine with it.”

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon.”

“It’s okay. It’s my fault that my marriage failed.”

The moment was awkward so Hyoyeon had to leave the room fast. So she excused herself and went into her daughter’s room instead before kissing Sunny on her forehead.

“You’re so lucky to have a perfect family.”

Erika lamented.

“You used to have one too.”

“Yes, Sunny. I did but I lost them.”

“Why did you leave without saying anything? Did you know Soo Yeon went crazy after that?”

Erika stared at the ground.

“She suffered from post natal depression and your baby was left unattended. Lucky for her, her best friend was there.”

“Tiffany, right?”

“Yes, Tiffany was the one who took the baby and Soo Yeon with her.”

“Did you hear from them anymore?”

“I didn’t. After 3 months, your baby was allowed to go home. And since then, I didn’t hear anything or know anything about Soo Yeon and your daughter. It seemed like Jung Soo Yeon doesn’t exist anymore.”

Erika didn’t like the sound of it. But who is she to blame Soo Yeon? She did the same thing too.

“Maybe she changed her name.”

“Or maybe she has found new love or something.”

“Maybe she is happy now.”

“Taeyeon, why did you return after 20 years? What were you thinking of?”

“I didn’t think I could face Soo Yeon again.”

“And what makes you think you can face her now?”

Erika sighed. She had that thought earlier on but she couldn’t care anymore.

“I think it’s time for me to stop running, Soon Kyu. I need to find Soo Yeon and my daughter again. I’m not getting younger.”

Sunny smiled and nodded.

“But you must bear in mind that Soo Yeon may not forgive you.”

“I already anticipated that.”

“Good, so how are you going to find her?”

“Actually I have no idea. I just returned because my company has moved here. I had the thought of looking for you but who have thought; our fate was to bump into each other at the supermarket.”

“Do you need my help?”

“You can help me?”

Erika was hopeful.

“I’ll try.”

“Thanks a lot, Soon Kyu.”

“I’m helping you as a fellow wife and mother. I have a wife and I love her dearly. I have a responsible towards my daughter, Wendy. So I hope you can do the same for your family too.”

Erika nodded.

-

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m saying hi?”

“Does Yuri know you’re here?”

“She’s expecting me.”

“Okay, come on in.”

Yoona grinned widely. She was ecstatic when she found the one she wanted to meet was the one who opened the door for her. Well, she was a little hostile and cold but Yoona really misses her.

“COUSIN!”

“Oh dear god, what are you wearing?”

“Why?”

“Isn’t that too y for you?”

“I have a body to flaunt my beauty. Why is it a crime for you?”

Yuri rolled her eyes. Yoona has become a frequent visitor at her place. But each time she came over, Jessica was around but never Irene. So the woman didn’t get to see Jessica’s daughter yet.

“I’ll be in my room.”

Jessica was at her usual cold demeanour. Many girls were turned off by her attitude but not Im Yoona. She was fascinated and even eager to get into Jessica’s good books.

“Aw, I thought of watching television with you.”

Jessica glared at Yoona who was unperturbed.

“Doesn’t your house have one?”

“It’s not as huge as here.”

“You’re flirting, aren’t you?”

“I’m being sincere.”

Jessica sighed but nevertheless went up to her room and shut the door. Yuri looked on as Yoona smiled widely. She wondered if Yoona’s skin was thicker than theirs.

“She has spurned you a couple of times.”

“I don’t give a damn if it’s going to be a thousand million times.”

“You usually give up by now.”

“Yuri, how many times must I tell you? I’m interested in her.”

“But she’s clearly not interested in you.”

“I’ll wait and make her learn. Make her fall.”

“You can wait for the rest of your life then.”

Yuri took out a can of beer and tossed it to Yoona. The lady sat on the sofa as she pulled the tab over. She stared at the direction of Jessica’s room.

“How complicated is her life?”

“Extremely complicated. And she’s in love with the last girl who caught her heart.”

“Did she ever say that?”

“It’s clearly written in her silence.”

“And how long is this?”

“It has been 20 years.”

Yoona gulped her beer down . She then pouted her lips.

“I don’t stand a chance at all?”

“She gave you the cold shoulder.”

“But I cannot give up. I really like her.”

“You can’t give up because she’s the first woman who had spurned you. She’s unattainable and that makes you even more fascinated and wanted her even more.”

“You know me.”

“Then don’t do it. Give it up before you hurt yourself.”

Yoona shook her head.

“I’m not giving her up. That’s for sure.”

Yoona was a stubborn child at love.

-

Tiffany was out with Irene. They were buying dinner home and Irene was more interested to request for a special order for her mother.

“Your mother has weird allergies.”

“She really cannot eat cucumbers and salmon?”

“Yeah, she will throw up if she’s near them.”

“But I can eat salmon.”

“Your omma eats everything.”

“Ah.”

Irene felt awkward each time they compared her to her Omma. Her other mother whom she has no recollection and she doesn’t even know how she looks like.

“Irene, are you okay?”

“Is my Omma pretty?”

Tiffany smiled and nodded.

“Mommy loves Omma a lot, doesn’t she?”

“She does.”

“Does? You mean she still loves her now?”

“I believe she still loves your Omma now.”

Irene nodded.

“But I’m not sure if I can ever meet her one day.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t know how I would react.”

“Nobody’s going to blame you.”

“Mommy Fany, I love Mommy a lot. I’m not sure if I can forgive Omma for what she did to Mommy.”

Tiffany was alarmed. She has never thought how Irene would feel towards Taeyeon. The focus was always on Jessica. Yuri was right.

“Irene, what if your Omma appears in front of you one day?”

Irene was concerned but she kept her gaze at Tiffany.

“I don’t know. I might just run and hide.”

-