Chapter 11

녹 (Rust)

Yuri was surprised when Yoona suddenly called her out for a drink. She agreed since Tiffany was out with dinner with Irene. She spotted Yoona drinking alone at one corner of the bar. It was unusual because Yoona prefers to be seen than hidden.

“What’s up?”

“Hey, you’re here.”

“Is this how the party animal drinks?”

“What?”

“Why are you hidden at the corner under a dim light?”

“I’m no longer a party animal. I belong to someone.”

“Yikes, that’s so not you. Can you stop being so romantic?”

Yoona stuck her tongue out at Yuri but that cheeky smile quickly faded. Yoona sighed after that.

“Why are you so despondent?”

“What?”

“You hardly sigh.”

“I’m just thinking of something.”

“What are you thinking of?”

Yoona hesitated before gulping down her bottle of beer. She asked for another and Yuri was alarmed at the number of empty bottles in front of Yoona.

“Just how many bottles have you drank?”

“I don’t know. I lost count.”

“What’s wrong with you? Jessica’s away for just two days.”

“I know. I’m lonely without her.”

“Geez, you’re getting mushy which is unlike you. Where did you hide Im Yoona?”

Yoona gave a sad smile and then turned fully to face Yuri. She had wanted to ask about Jessica’s ex but she couldn’t bring herself to open .

“Do you know how Jessica’s wife looks like?”

Yuri shook her head.

“I only know her name.”

“What’s her name?”

“Kim Taeyeon.”

Yoona nodded. For some reason, she was relieved to hear that.

“Why?”

“Nothing, I was just having these thoughts. What if this Kim Taeyeon decides to return to Jessica?”

“You never thought of it when you asked Jessica to go out with you?”

“I did but I suddenly feel like I might not able to give up on Jessica by then.”

Yuri’s eyes grew larger.

“You’ve been dating her for just a month?”

“Yes, but my feelings multiplied so quickly that I’m getting scared if Jessica decides to leave me and I think I might die if she does.”

“You’re in love with her? You love Jessica?”

Yoona nodded.

“I thought it’s just a dating phase?”

“To her, it is. She’s learning to move on; taking one step at a time. But to me, I’m falling for her deeper and deeper every single day. I’ve even started thinking of our future together – me, Jessica and Irene.”

“You even have Irene in your future?!”

“Irene is her daughter. Her daughter is also my daughter.”

“God, Im Yoona! You’re seriously in love!”

Yuri was appalled. Of all people, why did she fall in love with a complicated woman like Jessica? She initially agreed to let her date Jessica because Im Yoona was not a fan of monogamy. She’s a player.

“What the hell.”

“Why? Is that wrong to fall in love with Jessica?”

“I don’t know. I just find Jessica a seriously complicated and messy woman. I mean her life. She’s a closed book. You cannot read her mind so easily.”

“I’m not afraid of that.”

“But you’re afraid that Jessica might leave you if the wife returns?”

Yoona nodded her head painfully.

“I celebrated Irene’s birthday in the office just now. Jessica was feeling sorry that she couldn’t be with her daughter on her birthday. I thought of a surprise party to cheer Irene up. You know, I don’t do this kind of stuff but when I saw Irene’s smiling face, she was really happy, Yuri. And that makes me feel complete. I feel like my life is done after I saw Irene’s happy face.”

“Wow, you have that capability too?”

“Yuri, I’m afraid to lose Jessica.”

“Then stop thinking that you’ll lose her.”

“But I...”

“You just have to touch her heart and prove your love with sincerity.”

Yoona was perplexed.

-

Sunny was on her way to the market when Erika called her. She smiled and answered happily.

“Taeyeon~”

“Hey, Soon Kyu.”

“What’s wrong? You sound sick.”

“I am sick. I was drunk yesterday and my head spun like mad.”

“Where are you now?”

“I’m home.”

“Alone?”

“Yeah, my roommate has gone to work.”

“Do you want me to come over?”

“Do you have time?”

“It should be fine. I’ll come now. Text me your address.”

Sunny got the message immediately and she went over to Erika’s place. She was not surprised at how sophisticated Erika’s neighbourhood was.

“Wow, the place looks good.”

“The company’s paying.”

“You’re seriously having a good life. Anyway I got this hangover soup. It might help you.”

“Thanks, Soon Kyu. I’ll heat it up.”

Sunny sat at the dining table; looked around the apartment. It was spacious and there were just two rooms. So she assumed one of them belonged to Erika’s roommate. Erika sat next to her with the bowl of soup.

“So, what happened last night? Why were you drunk?”

Erika sighed as she took a sip of the soup.

“Yesterday was the day Soo Yeon’s heart died on me.”

Sunny nodded. She remembered that day too.

“Yesterday was your daughter’s birthday too.”

Erika’s heart hurt even more.  She felt even sorry for her daughter who has never seen her.

“I feel like , Soon Kyu.”

“Tae, are you making effort in looking for them?”

“I don’t know where to start.”

Sunny was staring at Erika.  She knew something.  But Erika revealed something.

“But I have my suspicions.”

“What do you mean?”

“I have this kid in the office. She faces a similar family issue like me. Her Omma left her when she was born and she has been staying with her Mommy. She had suffered so much because her Mommy didn’t really take good care of her when she was a baby. They only got closer recently.”

“Oh? So you think she might be your daughter?”

“Well, I didn’t think much of it. I mean it cannot be such a coincidence.”

“But....?”

“But yesterday I saw a necklace around her neck. It looked familiar. It looks exactly the same as the one I bought with Soo Yeon for our unborn child. We knew the baby was going to be a girl and had planned to name her Sarang. I designed the locket so I suspected that she might be my daughter.”

“Did you ask her anything?”

“No, I didn’t dare to ask her anything because she was not really keen to meet her Omma.”

“Tae..”

“Soon Kyu, I don’t dare to say anything. What if she’s really my daughter and I scare her away?”

“But you’ve been searching for them all this while.”

“I’m going insane, Soon Kyu.”

Sunny felt sorry for her friend. Erika had suffered too. Although everything that had happened was partly her fault, but Erika had gone through so much pain as well. And Sunny knew Erika had done her dues. She just needed a little courage to seek forgiveness from Soo Yeon and her daughter.

Suddenly she thought of Jessica Jung and Irene. She wondered if she should tell Erika about it but before she could ask, she saw something on Erika’s table. It was a medical report.

“What’s this, Tae?”

She pointed to the medical report. Erika shrugged her shoulders.

“Are you sick, Taeyeon?”

“I’m suffering from a rare heart disease.”

“What?”

“I’m finally having my karma, Soon Kyu for what I did to Soo Yeon.”

“What are you talking about? Is it curable?”

“I’m on medication.”

“Taeyeon, you have to find them quick.”

“I don’t know if I should. I don’t want to return to them with this heart condition. It would make me look so pathetic.”

“Kim Taeyeon, you cannot do this! You told me you wanted to stop running!”

“I don’t know, Soon Kyu! It’s killing me! What if I die before I could find them? What if I find them but they hate me so much that they don’t even want to see me?! Either way, I’d die as a loner! I rather not do anything and just die peacefully!”

“You’re such a selfish ! So what if you’re dying? The fact that you owe them an apology and explanation is still the main point here. They live in misery for 20 years probably Soo Yeon’s heart died along the way but you still have this responsibility towards her! You’re not even divorced, Kim Taeyeon!”

Erika kept quiet. But she spoke up softly.

“What if Soo Yeon found a new partner?”

“So what if she does?”

“What’s my role now, Soon Kyu?”

“Firstly, you owe Soo Yeon a huge responsibility of your daughter. Secondly, you’re still Soo Yeon’s wife. And lastly, you’d die regret if you’re not doing this. Even if Soo Yeon’s happy with someone else, do your part and apologise to her.  That’s your ing responsibility when you started running away 20 years ago!”

-

Yoona was in Erika’s office.  Erika decided to take a day off so Yoona was in charge in the office for today. She was searching for some files that needed her immediate attention.

“Where the heck are the files?”

She kept flipping files after files when Erika’s office phone rang. She was puzzled because the secretary knew Erika was not here. The person must have called Erika’s direct line. Yoona decided to answer anyway.

“Hello?”

“Hi, is this Miss Kim?”

“She’s not in. Who’s this on the line?”

“Oh, we’re calling for Seoul University Hospital. She had forgotten to take one of her medications yesterday. We tried calling her but she didn’t answer. So I thought I could catch her at her office line.”

Yoona was surprised. Medications? Seoul University Hospital? Why did Erika need medical attention?

“She’s sick?”

“She’s under medication.”

“For what reason?”

“I’m afraid I cannot reveal anything to you since you’re not the patient.”

“I’m her sister. She has been hiding things from me.”

“Oh, if that’s the case, you need to speak to the doctor in charge.”

“And who might it be?”

“His name is Dr Shim Changmin, our head surgeon for the Cardiology department.”

“Cardiology department? That’s related to heart issues.”

“Yes, it is.”

“Okay, thanks. I’ll let Erika knows you called.”

“Thank you.”

Yoona hung up with a heavy heart. Erika was hiding things from her. And she was hiding something material about her health conditions – her heart perhaps. Yoona decided to pay a visit to Dr Shim.

-

Jessica returned a day earlier since she had wrapped up her meetings in US. She wanted to spend more time with Irene and was surprised when she saw Irene at home instead of work.

“You don’t have work?”

“I’m completing my assignments. School term is ending soon. I need to finish them so I took few days leave. And besides, Yoona omma asked me to take some days off. She said I needed to rest before school reopens.”

“Oh.”

Jessica smiled. Yoona knew she was coming home a day earlier. Jessica told her on the phone yesterday. She was really grateful for Yoona’s thoughtfulness. 

“Why are you home early, Mommy?”

Irene was counting the days on the calendar. Her mother was supposed to be home tomorrow.

“I miss you. So I came home earlier.”

“Aw, you’re so sweet!”

Irene hugged Jessica and the latter kissed her daughter’s forehead.

“So did you enjoy your birthday?”

“I did! Mommy Fany and Yuri bought gifts that I’ve wanted to buy! They cheated though! They saw my notebook!”

Jessica laughed as she pulled her daughter’s nose gently.

“So did you like the gift Yoona omma bought for you?”

“Oh yes! Yoona omma’s really sweet. I like her a lot.”

Jessica nodded. She was relieved that her daughter has grown fonder of Yoona. Jessica had been thinking about her relationship with Yoona a lot.  Her heart was slowly opening up to Yoona. The lady was nothing but caring, loving and patience to her.

Yoona reminded her so much of Taeyeon. She has her childish moments but when Jessica needed her, Yoona stood out like a guy and protected her. She gave her the security and protection Jessica was craving for the last 20 years.

She never knew she would open to someone after so long. She has long given up on Taeyeon whom disappeared into thin air. Jessica did try to find her but there was nothing on Kim Taeyeon.

For some reason, Jessica had decided to give Yoona a chance. If this relationship goes well, Jessica would totally put her past behind her and move on with Yoona and Irene. They can lead a new life together.

“Mommy, aren’t you tired from the long flight?”

“Yeah, I am.”

“Why don’t you take a nap? I’ll cook something for us to eat.”

“Okay, love you baby.”

“Love you Mommy.”

-

Jessica slept for more than an hour. She was waking up to a loud commotion just outside her door. Someone was making a hell of noise in the living room. Jessica woke up grudgingly. She really hates it when someone disturbs her sleep.

“What’s with the ruckus?”

She asked immediately after her door was opened. But she was surprised to find Yoona in the living room. She was wearing an apron and a bandana around her head. In her hands was the vacuum cleaner. Yoona looked domesticated.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m helping with the house chores.”

“What?”

“The house needs a clean-up and Irene is too busy cooking in the kitchen. Yuri said she hasn’t been cleaning the house for a week since she was busy with her exams setting papers and Tiffany was out doing sales most of the time.”

Jessica was amused but she misses that silly dork. She never knew she would be doing this but yes, she misses Yoona so much that she pounced on Yoona with a big fat wet kiss on her lips.

“Woah.”

“I miss you.”

“I know but woahhh~”

Yoona dropped the vacuum cleaner and hugged Jessica tightly. They kissed for a lingering bit before Irene interrupted them.

“Hey, no kissing my mother when I’m around!”

“I didn’t kiss her. She pounced on me!”

“Mommy, seriously?!”

“I miss her.”

“You didn’t pounce on me!”

“That means she misses me more!”

“That’s so unfair!”

Jessica smacked Yoona’s forehead for teasing her daughter. Her girlfriend put her down and Jessica pulled her daughter into her embrace. She was hugging Irene from her back.

“Mommy misses you the most. I returned home early because I wanted to see you.”

“Really, Mommy?”

“Of course I am. You’re my baby.”

Irene was giggling away. Yoona rolled her eyes before picking up the vacuum cleaner again.

“But Mommy, I think you love Yoona omma more than before, right?”

Jessica was blushing red and Yoona cleared to hide her embarrassment. Irene was smirking boldly. She always knew how to catch her Mommy like that.

“Shh, don’t talk so much. I’m hungry now.”

Jessica then gently pushed her daughter into the kitchen and Yoona was smiling away. She could foresee her future with Jessica and Irene like this. She didn’t mind having such moments.

But something was bothering her a lot after her meeting with Dr Shim.

Yoona has uncovered something that she knew would hurt her, Jessica, Irene and Kim Taeyeon.

-

Tiffany was around Yoona’s neighbourhood. She had just brought a client to see some apartments nearby. She walked past Yoona’s block when she realized she has yet to pass Yoona her lease agreement. She had it in her car so since she was in the neighbourhood, she might as well drop it here.

Yoona was not home. Tiffany knew because Irene called her and told her to return home for dinner. She was surprised when Irene informed her that her mother was back and Yoona had cooked up sumptuous dinner for them.

So Tiffany decided to check if Yoona’s roommate was around. She has yet to meet her. She took out the lease agreement from her file and made her way up to Yoona’s apartment.  She was minding her own business when she saw a lady leaving Yoona’s apartment. She was frowning away because the lady looked familiar.

But unfortunately, the lady didn’t see her as she went down the stairs instead of the lift. And Tiffany didn’t have the intention to catch up with her. She might have seen wrongly. She noticed a pair of shoes outside the apartment so Tiffany deduced Yoona’s roommate was at home.

She pressed the doorbell and her mind sub-consiously trying to recall the lady earlier on. Her eyes went wide when she realized who that person was.

“Lee Soon Kyu?”

She muttered softly when the door was opened.

Tiffany had the shock of her life.

The person opposite her was horrified to find Tiffany instead.

And then Tiffany burst.

“KIM TAEYEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT’S REALLY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Taeyeon swore she could see Tiffany’s veins popping out from the corner of her temples.

And Taeyeon knew she was in a deep trouble.

-

 

 

 

this story will have 20 chapters only. I have been contemplating with the ending for quite a while and still hasnt made up my mind yet. Whether it's TaengSic or YoonSic, I have the final call. Honestly, I feel like I should add more dramatic effect on the ending but I guess this story is slowly reaching its climate.

Tiffany has found out. Yoona knew something. 

The only issue is whether Tiffany and Yoona would indulge in the truth or would they keep it a secret until the end? 

And I won't be pairing Yoona with Seohyun because it doesn't make sense. That's why I thought of killing one of the characters would make a better choice. Let's see if this evil mind of mine decide to be nasty or maybe I'll find something more suitable situation for the ending. 

so, do enjoy this read.  

I might not update in the next couple of days because of the work load. That's why I updated two chapters for two days in the row.

:)