Chapter 31

녹 (Rust)

Taeyeon was getting ready for the surgery. Irene and Jessica were worried. Yuri and Tiffany were still baffled as they couldn’t confirm if the heart belongs to Soo Young. Dr Edward didn’t indulge more as the donor wanted to remain anonymous.

“You don’t have to worry. I’ll be fine.”

Taeyeon tried to assure Jessica who was holding on to her hand tightly. The nurses were pushing Taeyeon’s bed towards the operating theatre. Jessica could only nod her head as she couldn’t find words to say. Irene was smiling away but with tears b in her eyes.

“Don’t cry, silly baby. Omma will be fine. I promise you I’ll hang on for you, okay?”

“You promise, Omma?”

Taeyeon nodded and then took her hand. She overlapped her daughter’s hand with her ex wife’s.

“Take care of Mommy while I’m inside. She looks like she’s going to collapse again.”

“Hey, I’m not that weak, okay?”

Jessica protested with a slight pout.

“Then smile for me.”

Jessica gave a wide smile.

“That’s more like it.”

Taeyeon grinned before the bed come to a stop in front of the lift. Yuri, Tiffany, Hyoyeon and Sunny were hovering around her bed. She took a good look at every one of them and then teased Tiffany for crying.

“Why are you crying too?”

“Am I not allowed to?”

“That’s weird. You hated me.”

“Stupid Kim Taeyeon. You think I’m that heartless, don’t you?”

“Tiffany Hwang, you know I’m the most grateful towards you, right?”

“Of course you should.”

“So don’t worry, I’ll keep myself alive so that I can repay you.”

Tiffany smiled at the sweet thought. She nodded and Yuri put her arm around Tiffany’s waist.

“Yuri, can you do me one last favour?”

“Sure, what is it?”

“Help me look after my family and Tiffany while I’m inside especially Jessica Jung. I’m sure she’s not going to eat again.”

“I will, Taeyeon. Just stay strong, okay?”

With that, the nurses continued to push Taeyeon into the lift that would lead to the operating theatre. The rest were herded into the waiting room. Yuri and Tiffany were staring at each other. Yuri was holding on to the letter from Singapore and both wondered if they should let Jessica know.

Jessica sat on the sofa while Irene sat next to Wendy. For some reason, Wendy reminded Jessica of Taeyeon when they were in a relationship. Falling in love was beautiful and Irene seemed comfortable with Wendy. Sunny and Hyoyeon were happy for them too.

“Wendy ah.”

Jessica called out softly. Both girls looked up at the same time. Wendy nodded a little.

“Yes, Aunt Jessica.”

“Thank you for staying by Irene’s side.”

Wendy grinned widely.

“It’s my pleasure.”

“Please take good care of her, Wendy.”

“I will. I will make sure she eats on time.”

“YA~ ~”

Irene protested but Wendy was quick to appease her.

“I’ll make sure you and your Mommy eat well.”

“You don’t even know how to cook!”

“YA~ my mom can cook!”

“Excuse me.”

Sunny interrupted and everyone roared with laughter.  Jessica couldn’t help but laughed too.  Just then, Yuri’s phone rang. Jessica looked up when she saw Yuri’s expressions changed.

“Yes, I’m Yoona’s cousin. Where is she right now?”

Jessica slowly stood up when Yuri’s eyes grew larger. Tiffany was looking on anxiously as well.

“Okay, I get it. Please let me know as soon as you get some news.”

Jessica went up to Yuri as soon as she hung up. Yuri seemed worried.

“What’s happening?”

“Sica ah, Yoona’s missing.”

“What?!”

“Her plane... her plane crashed into the sea.”

Jessica was horrified.

-

“What did you say?”

Tiffany was rooted to the ground. Irene was already with her Mommy. Her arms were around her Mommy’s waist.

“Yoona’s company called. They said her plane has crashed. It fell out of radar and they just got a confirmation that the plane has crashed.”

“Yoona’s on the plane?!”

Tiffany raised her voice.

“The company is still checking. Yoona didn’t turn up at the airport.”

Jessica’s head spun like crazy.

“How can they not know beforehand?”

“This is a domestic flight and not an international flight. It was supposed to be in transit where Yoona was supposed to arrive but the plane was missing.”

“Oh my god, what is going on?!”

Tiffany sank onto the sofa while Jessica’s eyes were slowly turning red. She felt irk with herself. The thought of losing Yoona forever was slowly sinking into her heart.

“This is my fault.”

Jessica spoke up softly. Sunny, Hyoyeon, Tiffany and Yuri were standing around her. Irene was shaking her head.

“No, Mommy. This is not your fault.”

“It is. I have only been thinking and worrying about your Omma. I neglected Yoona’s feelings. I made a promise that I didn’t fulfil. She was right about us.”

Jessica’s heart was aching so badly.

“I should have known something was not right when I got that undelivered message. I thought it was because she turned her phone off. But I should have started questioning because it has been days since she last contacted me. I was so hard up on Taeyeon that I have forgotten about Yoona.”

Yuri stepped closer and pulled Jessica into her embrace. She hugged the lady tightly before holding her forearms tightly.

“Yoona loves you. Don’t ever doubt that. And I know you love her too. Let’s not give up hope. It is not unconfirmed yet. Maybe she didn’t get on the plane.”

“If she didn’t get on the plane, why did the message go undelivered?”

“Perhaps something happened.”

“Yuri, you’re just trying to tell yourself that nothing will happen, right?”

“I have to, Jessica. This is the second worst news I have gotten for the past one week.”

Jessica looked up; a little confused. Tiffany was looking away as well. This time, Sunny had to ask.

“What do you mean?”

Yuri and Tiffany looked at each other before Tiffany took out the letter from her bag. She gave it to Jessica and it was easy for the latter to read since she knows the language. She read briefly before looking up with her confused eyes.

“Wait, what’s this?”

“Yuri received this letter last week. It was sent by Soo Young.”

“Professor Soo Young?”

Irene stood up this time.

“Yes, she sent us this letter.”

“What is it about?”

“She was the one who gave the consent for the heart donor application.”

“Heart donor application?”

Sunny was slowly putting the stories together. Irene understood immediately.

“You mean Professor Soo Young gave her heart to Omma?! She sacrificed her life for Omma?!”

Yuri and Tiffany couldn’t say more. They couldn’t affirm it either. Dr Shim was tight-lipped about the donor. Irene was shocked while Jessica had completely lost her mind. Wendy stood next to Irene and held her. Sunny and Hyoyeon were loss for words too.

Jessica was baffled with the confusion. She buried her face in her hands and cried. The other couples were tearing up as well. Yuri was dying too. She was worried for Yoona.

“This is insane.”

Jessica spoke up softly.

“Two people love me and Taeyeon unconditionally. And now they are the ones who left us.”

“Jessica, don’t say that.”

“It’s true, Tiffany. I know Soo Young loves Taeyeon. She’s willing to give up anything just to see Taeyeon happy. This will kill Taeyeon if she finds out the heart belonged to Soo Young. And Yoona, my beloved Yoona – she left because she wanted to give me some time to think about us. But I refused and held on to her. And yet, I ended up abandoning her. Now she’s probably perished in that plane crash and I could never, never ever hold her in my arms again.”

Jessica was broken-hearted.

-

The surgery went smoothly. Dr Shim was pleased with the operation. There were no complications during the operation and Taeyeon was on the road of recovery. The new heart gave her a chance to live.

His intern took over to finish the rest as he made his way out. He removed his surgical clothes and washed his hands over the sink. At the back of his mind, he was relieved. He made a promise to a certain someone to ensure Taeyeon lives.

He then took out his phone and typed a message. He sent it out quickly before making his way to the waiting room. He wanted to share the good news with Taeyeon’s family.

The message was delivered. And someone replied.

“Thank you, Dr Shim.”

That was a heart-felt thank you message.

-

The airport was filled with family members anxious to receive news of their loved ones. Yoona’s colleagues from UK were there too. They were supposed to meet the lady there but she didn’t turn up.

The airport was chaotic. The domestic airline was a small firm and the victims’ family members were getting frustrated. It was so difficult for Yoona’s colleagues to obtain any news of the latter. One of them finally managed to speak with one of the employees.

“I’m here to check my colleague’s name on the list.”

“What’s your colleague’s name, Sir?”

“Yoona. Im Yoona.”

The employee diligently checked through her system.  She found it.

“Is her name registered as Yoona Im?”

“Yes..”

“Yes, Sir. She was on the flight.”

-

“She’s fine now. The surgery went well. Taeyeon’s life is prolonged.”

Jessica looked up as Dr Shim explained. Her heart was relieved but yet heavy. Taeyeon’s safe but Yoona was still missing.

“Dr Shim, I have something to ask.”

Irene suddenly spoke up.

“Yes, what is it, Irene?”

“Can you tell us who the heart donor is?”

“I’m afraid I’m unable to. It’s our duty to protect the donor’s anonymity.”

“Then can you let us know if the heart belongs to someone we know?”

Dr Shim was taken aback. But he had to remain professional. He maintained his smile and then shook his head.

“I’m really sorry, Irene.”

Irene was tearing up. Dr Shim was reluctant to say. It might be true. Professor Choi must have sacrificed her life to save her Omma.

“I have to go now. You can visit Taeyeon later.”

Dr Shim walked away; leaving the rest bewildered.

-

Taeyeon was still sleeping. Jessica sat next to her; looking on. Her hand was holding on to her phone. She has been sending messages to Yoona’s phone but all returned; undelivered. Her heart was hurting so badly. She slowly got on the bed and lay next to Taeyeon. She put her arm around Taeyeon’s waist as she closed her eyes shut.

Tears fell. She held on tightly. Her mind was in turmoil. Although Taeyeon’s next to her, her heart still pined for Yoona. As she held Taeyeon closer, her heart was calling out for Yoona.

“Yoona..”

Jessica cried as she pulled Taeyeon closer to her.

“Why did you leave me behind? I need you.”

Her heartfelt cries were killing her slowly.

“Yoona-ah... please... please don’t leave me behind.”

Unknown to Jessica, Taeyeon was waking up when she heard Jessica cried in her ears. She felt moist on her cheeks and she knew Jessica was crying.

And she wondered why Jessica pleaded Yoona not to leave her behind. It hurt her to hear Jessica’s cries.

“What’s wrong, Jessica? Why are you crying? What happened to Yoona?”

But Taeyeon didn’t open her eyes. Maybe her presence could be the only comfort Jessica needed – when Yoona was not around.

-