Chapter 1

녹 (Rust)

“Will you marry me, Soo Yeon?”

“Why should I?”

“Well, you should because I love you.”

“You’re so thick skinned.”

Taeyeon took out a ring from her pocket and knelt down in front of his girlfriend. Soo Yeon was stunned when she realized Taeyeon wasn’t joking about the marriage.

“I love you and I want to make you my wife. I want to build a family with you and we can live together. I promise I’ll give you my all.”

“Taeyeon...”

“I won’t make you cry. I promise.”

-

“So, how is it?”

They looked on with anticipation; hands were holding on to each other so tightly. They were waiting for wonderful news if Soo Yeon would be pregnant somehow. They have tried so many times to get pregnant and it would be their 10th time.

“Miss Kim, you have to take good care of Miss Jung from now own.”

The doctor had the warmest smile and they knew. Soo Yeon broke down and Taeyeon was ecstatic. They were finally pregnant!

“Miss Jung’s 2 months pregnant now.”

“Thank god!”

“Congratulations, Miss Kim & Miss Jung! You did it!”

Finally, Soo Yeon was pregnant with Taeyeon’s child. Taeyeon’s distant cousin donated his because he’s gay. Everything went well. Taeyeon prayed really hard and Soo Yeon was just overjoyed to have Taeyeon’s baby.

“We’re going to have a baby.”

Taeyeon whispered softly. And Soo Yeon fell deeper.

-

“Miss Hwang, you cannot enter!”

“KIM TAEYEON!”

Soo Yeon’s best friend, Tiffany barged into the room. Taeyeon was with another woman and Soo Yeon who was forced to follow her saw them together.

“I’m sorry, Miss Kim! I couldn’t stop her.”

“It’s okay, you can leave the room.”

“Oh no, you don’t! Nobody leaves the room!”

“Tiffany, you don’t have the right to enter my room without permission.”

“And you don’t have the right to treat my best friend like dirt! She’s pregnant with your baby, you !”

Taeyeon saw Soo Yeon but she didn’t dare to look up. She knew she had done wrong and it was going to be nasty if she did. The woman in her arms was smirking at Tiffany.

“Look, Taeyeon doesn’t love her anymore. Taeyeon’s with her because of the baby.”

“You shut the up.”

Tiffany pointed at the tramp. She was shamelessly holding on to Taeyeon. Soo Yeon was still standing there, dumbfounded. Her mind was going through so much and she couldn’t believe what her wife had done.

“You shut up! The dumb woman didn’t even say anything.”

Tiffany slapped the tramp before pushing Taeyeon to the wall. She punched her; which caused Soo Yeon to run forward and held Tiffany back.

She never knew her best friend could have done that. Tiffany was never the violent type. She wouldn’t resort to punch others no matter what the situation might be. So this was an alarming surprise.

“I gave Soo Yeon up because she loves you and you ing love her. You promised you wouldn’t hurt her. You promised you wouldn’t make her cry. I was there when you made those ing promises when you asked her to marry you. Where are your promises now?!”

Taeyeon didn’t say a word. She just kept quiet and never once she looked up to meet Soo Yeon’s eyes. Soo Yeon was devastated and disappointed. She clutched her protruding stomach and held it tightly. It hurt like hell and Soo Yeon winced in pain.

Tiffany quickly turned and saw a thread of blood reeling down Soo Yeon’s legs.  Tiffany was horrified as she ran towards her.

“Soo Yeon!”

Taeyeon finally looked up. Her heart fell when she saw Soo Yeon collapsed to the ground and blood was profusely oozing out from her thighs.

“SOO YEON!”

Taeyeon screamed and pushed the tramp aside. She ran towards Soo Yeon but Tiffany stopped her.

“You don’t come near Soo Yeon anymore!”

Taeyeon looked on with horror as Tiffany scooped Soo Yeon up in her arms. Tiffany ran towards the lift and that was the last time Kim Taeyeon saw Soo Yeon ever again.

-

Soo Yeon gave birth to a baby girl prematurely. She was only 7 months old and she was such a tiny baby.  The doctor had to place her in the incubator because the baby girl couldn’t breathe on her own just yet.

“She needs to stay in the hospital for another 2-3 months.”

“Is she going to be alright?”

“She will be fine. She’s a strong baby but I’m more worried about her mother.”

Tiffany peered over her shoulders; Soo Yeon was sitting on the sofa; ignorant of her world. She was completely oblivious and Tiffany was at her wits end.

“She’s suffering from post natal depression. She’s going through a difficult moment.”

“I understand, Miss Hwang but she needs to be strong for her daughter.”

“I’ll try my best, Doctor.”

“Stay with her. She needs someone to rely on.”

“I know, Doctor. Thank you so much for your help.”

“It’s my duty, Miss Hwang. I’ll take good care of Irene.”

Soo Yeon named her daughter, Irene. But Soo Yeon couldn’t look at her baby. She has a split image of her Omma, the one woman who took her heart and ripped it apart.

Tiffany took Soo Yeon home and took good care of her.

-

Baby Irene finally could leave the hospital. She was gaining more weight and although she was already 3 months old, Baby Irene looked so petite and small.

But Baby Irene was with Tiffany all the time. Soo Yeon changed her name to Jessica. Jung Jessica is her new persona. She changed so much for the last 3 months.  Taeyeon was nowhere to be seen. After she caught Taeyeon with some woman in her office, Jessica didn’t see Taeyeon anymore. Taeyeon didn’t even apologize; she didn’t even come to look for her or her baby.

So Jessica’s heart got harden over the last 3 months.  She worked her way up from where she fell and Tiffany took care of Baby Irene since Jessica was too busy with her work.

“Soo –I mean Jessica. Irene needs you.”

“Why? Is she sick?”

“No?”

“Then why did you say she needs me?”

“She’s your daughter, Jessica!”

“I know she is but I’m busy with work.”

“I’m pretty sure Irene will call me Mom instead of you!”

“It’s fine by me. I don’t really want to see her either.”

“What?”

“She reminds me too much of Taeyeon.”

“But Jessica, Irene is innocent. She doesn’t know anything.”

“Fany ah, I know she’s innocent but I cannot even look at her. I feel like if I did, I would kill her, you know?”

Tiffany was alarmed by Jessica’s confession. Jessica just said it like as though it didn’t mean anything. Tiffany gave up and took Irene away. She couldn’t risk Irene’s life just because of that jerk that left Jessica in pieces.

“I’ll bring Irene to my mother’s place since you don’t have time. I’m having a meeting later and I’ll pick her up after that.”

“Okay.”

That was all Jessica could answer. She really didn’t care about her daughter.

-

20 years later, Irene grew up from a petite little baby to a beautiful young lady. She has graduated from high school and got into a good college. She still lives with her god-mother, Tiffany and her almost non-existence Mommy.

Irene hardly sees her Mommy. Although Jessica does make sudden appearance at certain points of her life, Irene still couldn’t get close to her Mommy. Her Mommy was often away for overseas business trips and sometimes she would be gone for 2-3 months. She was left with Tiffany and Tiffany’s current girlfriend, Yuri.

“Okay, breakfast’s ready!”

Yuri loves Irene just like her own daughter. Irene’s much closer to her god-mommy or Mommy Fany which she calls affectionately.

“Irene, are you awake?”

It was Irene’s first day of school at college. Yuri’s a lecturer in that school and Irene got into her faculty. Yuri teaches Business Management and Irene has always wanted to be just like her Mommy. Tiffany was knocking on her door and Irene opened it almost immediately.

“Mommy Fany!”

“Hey big girl, are you awake?”

“Yes, I am! Mommy Yul’s cooking is invading my room.”

“IRENE, I MADE PANCAKES!”

Yuri was screaming from the kitchen. Irene quickly grabbed her school bag and rushed down to the kitchen. She almost knocked into someone and her eyes went really big when she saw her Mommy standing at the doorway.  She hasn’t seen her for the last two months.

“Mom—my?”

Irene mumbled.

“What’s wrong?”

Jessica was glaring at her.

“Nothing, you’re home.”

Irene would always be awkward around her Mommy. She’s not used to her; she’s closer to Tiffany. Jessica was aware of her daughter’s awkwardness around her.  But she didn’t really try to rectify it. She just poured herself a cup of coffee and went up to her room. Yuri looked on while Tiffany shook her head.

Jessica still hasn’t changed.

“Your mother just arrived this morning at dawn. She must be tired from the long flight. Why don’t you eat your breakfast and follows Mommy Yul to work?”

“Okay.”

Irene didn’t say anything much but her smile was gone. As much as she wanted to get close to her Mommy but she just couldn’t. Her Mommy’s wall of defence was a huge obstacle for her to climb over. If not for her Mommy Fany, she would have given up on herself a long time ago. She just couldn’t because her Mommy Fany and Mommy Yul took good care of her.

-

“Okay, are you ready?”

Yul was parking her car as Irene stared at the university entrance. She couldn’t believe she got in to a prestigious university. She thought Mommy Jessica would at least be proud of her but she was indifferent towards her. Irene sometimes wondered why she worked so hard for. But she knew she wanted to do well just to get acknowledge by Jessica some day.

“I’ve never been ready before!”

“Okay, let’s get you registered and then I’ll show you around school. But I have to attend to some meeting so you just hang around first. I’ll give you a call.”

“Okay!”

Meanwhile at home, Jessica was finally refreshed from her flight. She made her way to the kitchen when she realized the house was silent. But not for long, Tiffany was still at the kitchen. She winced.

“You’re finally up huh?”

“Yes, Tiffany. I am.”

Jessica walked through the kitchen floor and grabbed some sandwiches from the plate.

“Irene made that for you. She made that for you every time you return home from your trips.”

Jessica smiled and nodded. Irene knew her mother’s weird dislike for cucumbers.

“Today is Irene’s first day at the college.”

“I know.”

“You know?”

“Yes, I know. That’s why I returned.”

“So you can settle her paperwork at the school?”

“Yes, I told Yuri I would be there in the afternoon. I asked Yuri to bring her around so that I can settle her paperwork.”

“I don’t understand you. Why do you keep doing things like these behind her back? Why couldn’t you be a real mother?”

Jessica rolled her eyes. She would have this discussion all the time with Tiffany.

“I told you the reason.”

“That she looks a lot like Taeyeon now?”

“She looks exactly like her.”

“What do you expect? You carried Taeyeon’s baby.”

Jessica groaned. She hates that woman.

“That’s why I couldn’t look at Irene; not even a second.”

“Irene grew up without you. I mean you’re around but you’re never there for her. She has been pining for your love and attention for the last 20 years. How long more do you want to torture that poor child?”

“She’s growing up perfectly fine.”

“I rather you gave her up when she was a baby. Why didn’t you do that?”

Jessica didn’t say a word. She grabbed the papers from the front table and went back into her room. Tiffany knew the conversation has ended. But she was already frustrated and annoyed by her best friend’s attitude.

-

Jessica drove to Irene’s university. Yuri had called her earlier on. She was taking Irene out for lunch so she could come during lunch time. Tiffany had left for work and Jessica was relieved.

But her best friend’s words lingered in her brain. She knew Tiffany was concerned about Irene. And Tiffany was right to be mad at her.

Jessica didn’t even carry Irene when she was a baby. She just couldn’t bring herself to do it. Her heart was already a rock and it was so difficult for Jessica to accept Irene. Yes, she gave birth to her. Yes, she was anticipating Irene’s arrival. But all that stopped when Taeyeon turned out to be a lying and broke her heart into pieces.

Jessica’s soul faded as well and when Irene was born, Jessica wished she would die instead. But Baby Irene pulled through and Jessica was irked at first. She had the intention to kill Irene but Tiffany was always there to watch her. That was when Jessica was having post-natal depression.

But things got better and Jessica completely changed. She did play a part in Irene’s life. She had all the wealth and the money to give Irene whatever she needed. But Jessica had never given it to her personally. It was always through Tiffany or Yuri.

And when Irene was in elementary school, she got good marks for her final examinations. Irene used to write letters to her; telling her what she wanted for a reward. Jessica bought all of the gifts her daughter wanted.

But when Irene started her high school years, her letters started to get deeper than just material things; Irene wanted to buy an hour of her time so that she could sit down and talk to her Mommy.

Honestly, Jessica’s heart ached whenever she read her daughter’s letter. But when she looked at Irene, she has the splitting image of her Omma. Jessica hates it.

There was once Jessica humiliated Irene at school when she happened to come to settle her paperwork and Irene ran up to her happily; calling her Mommy in front of her friends and teachers. But Jessica reacted in a way that made Irene felt embarrassed and hurt.

Tiffany had a huge fight with her and that was when Jessica decided to take up jobs overseas.  She hardly sees Irene since then but Jessica could never put her daughter aside.

Irene’s always on her mind all the time. Jessica would return in the early morning when everyone was sleeping. She would then quietly enter Irene’s room and stare at her daughter’s sleeping face for an hour or so.

She did that this morning and she was proud of Irene for entering into a good university.

But she never praised her daughter openly.

She would praise her silently.

“You did well, Irene. Mommy’s proud of you.”

She whispered softly in her heart all the time.

-