Chapter 3

녹 (Rust)

“HOME SWEET HOME!”

Yoona outstretched her arms out as she stepped out from the airport. It was beautiful and sunny. Yoona really misses home so much. It has been 10 years. She smiled to herself and then realized she was alone.  She turned left and then right before glancing over her shoulders.

“Where the hell is this woman?”

Yoona traced her footsteps back and then saw Erika Kim was standing at one corner; staring at a direction.

“What the hell.”

She grudgingly walked over to Erika and tapped on her shoulder. The petite lady jerked up.

“What?”

“Why didn’t you follow me from behind?”

“I’m just awed by the changes. It has been 20 years.”

“Oh, that’s right. Has the airport changed much?”

Erika nodded; eyes still glued to one direction.

“Are you going to stand here for one whole day?”

“No, not really. Let’s make a move then.”

“I bet you’ll be even more awed by the view outside. It’s beautiful and sunny.”

Yoona pulled Erika by her arm and took her luggage with the other arm. Erika allowed herself to be lead on as she looked around the airport for one last time. The pair was struggling so much because Yoona was full with luggage.

Just then, someone bumped into them. Yoona fell almost immediately; Erika followed through.

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry!”

Yoona looked up and saw a girl with worried eyes; offering her hands to her.

“It’s okay. I didn’t see you either.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, but could you help me with the bags?”

“Oh sure!”

The girl carried the bags up and Yoona got up on her feet. She didn’t realize Erika was pinned under her. Her eyes grew large when she saw Erika motionless.

“ERIKA!”

The girl was stunned as well.

“Oh no, is she okay?”

“YA ERIKA KIM!”

Erika fidgeted before opening her eyes slowly. Yoona smacked her boss on her arm.

“YOU SCARED ME!”

“You look bony but you’re super heavy!”

“Shut up! Can you get up? Are you hurt any where?”

“No, I’m fine. Just move away and I’ll stand up on my own.”

Yoona moved and the girl shifted to the side. Erika massaged the back of her head and arms simultaneously. She didn’t realize there was someone else there.

“I’m really sorry! I was rushing late to fetch my mom. I didn’t see you.”

Erika turned and stood face to face with the girl. To her surprise, the girl looked a lot like her. was wide open.

“Erika, are you okay?”

“Huh?”

Yoona shook her back to reality.

“The girl apologised. Are you still mad at her?”

“Huh? No, I was just daydreaming.”

Erika looked up to the girl and then gave her a soft smile.

“It’s okay. I’m not badly hurt.”

“Are you sure?”

The girl was concerned but Erika shook her head.

“I’m fine. You don’t have to worry about anything.”

“Oh okay.”

“Didn’t you say you’re late for someone?”

“OH SHOOT! I HAVE TO GO NOW! I’M SORRY YET AGAIN!”

The girl bowed before grabbing her bag. She ran away immediately. Erika was still looking at her direction. She just couldn’t forget the girl’s face.  She looks exactly like herself.

“Erika, what are you doing now? Do we need to see a doctor? Are you sure your bump is okay?”

“I’m fine, come let’s go. Wait, where are we going?”

“I booked a hotel under our company’s name. They are giving a month’s allowance for hotel accommodation. I think by then we can find an apartment.”

“Okay then. Let’s go.”

Erika shrugged her thoughts aside and dragged her luggage behind her. But her mind just couldn’t put the girl away.

-

“IRENE! WE’RE LATE!”

Irene was running around the house; grabbing her stuff along the way. Tiffany was already waiting for her in the car.

“YOUR MOM’S FLIGHT IS REACHING AN HOUR’S TIME AND WE’RE STILL AT HOME!”

“COMING!”

Irene jumped four steps down and Yuri was concerned.

“YA! WHY DID YOU JUMP SUCH A HEIGHT?!”

“I’M LATE! LOVE YOU, MOMMY YURI! WE WILL SEE YOU LATER!”

Irene ran out and jumped into Tiffany’s car. The lady immediately drove off. She was speeding all the way as the airport was quite far off from their residence.

“Is Mommy reaching soon?”

“She hasn’t called yet. Hang on, I’ll speed up now.”

Irene kept staring at the time on her watch. She was so eager to pick Jessica up. Tiffany was watching her with a smile before she reached out for the girl’s hand. She gripped it tightly.

“I know you’re excited about your mommy’s return.”

“This is the first time she ever sent me a message. And she asked me to pick her up.”

“Your face is lighted up at the thought, aren’t you?”

“Yes, it seems like I’m making a progress with Mommy.”

“You love your Mommy a lot don’t you?”

Irene turned to look at Tiffany and smiled widely.

“Mommy Fany, I’m grateful to you too. You were the one who changed my diapers, woke up in the middle of the night each time I cried and then carried me around like as though I’m your birth daughter. “

Tiffany smiled and caressed her cheek lightly. She was so right about raising the little girl up. She remembered the tough moments.

“It was worth it, Irene. You’re now a beautiful young lady.”

Irene was grinning widely.

“But Mommy Fany hopes you won’t hate your mother for all the times she wasn’t there for you.”

Irene shook her head profusely.

“I know Mommy loves me.”

“She does, Irene.”

“I know. And that’s enough.”

-

The moment they reached airport, Irene got off first. She ran ahead while Tiffany was finding a parking lot.  The girl ran as hard as she could and then slammed into someone. She couldn’t stop in time.

“OH ! OH MY GOD!”

She was stunned when she found two older ladies sprawling on the floor; one on top of another. She quickly leaned forward and assisted one of them.

“I’m sorry!”

“It’s okay, child. We’re not injured but can you help us with the bags?”

Irene immediately rendered her help. She picked up the bags and put them aside. One of the ladies stood up and then gasped when she realized she had pinned the other down earlier on.

“Dear God, Erika Kim!”

Irene glanced from one lady to another.  The other lady stood up carefully and Irene was a little taken aback when she could see her in that person’s face. They looked alike. The lady didn’t realize her presence at first but when she did, she was stunned as well.

Irene couldn’t fathom why that woman looked so much like her but she apologized anyway. The lady accepted her apologies and Irene recalled about her mother. She excused herself and ran all the way to the arrival hall.

She decided to forget about the mysterious lady and ran all the way just to find her Mommy Fany was already waiting for her.

“Where did you go?”

“I bumped into someone just now.”

“Oh my god, are you hurt?”

“No, I’m fine. Where’s Mommy?”

“Her flight has just arrived. I think they’re waiting for their luggage now.”

Irene nodded and waited with anticipation. She kept adjusting her dress and Tiffany was teasing her.

“She’s only your mother; not your girlfriend or boyfriend.”

Irene stuck her tongue out.

“I wanna look good for Mommy.”

“You’re such a silly girl.”

Just then, people started streaming out from the luggage area and into the arrival hall. Irene scanned everyone who came through her way but no sign of her Mommy.  Suddenly, someone called out for Tiffany.

“FANY UNNIE!”

Tiffany looked up and was surprised to find Krystal and Mrs Jung rushing up to them. Irene couldn’t recognize them but she knew the person behind the two ladies. It was her Mommy. Irene was rooted to the ground; she couldn’t make up her mind if she should run up to Jessica or just wave her hands casually. She chose the latter.  And she was really happy when her Mommy flashed her smile instead.

“KRYSTAL! JUNG OMMA!”

“Tiffany, my dear! You look good!”

Irene snapped back her attention back to the two ladies in front of her. Mommy Fany knows them but Irene has no recollection of them. But they were already staring at her. Irene leaned back.

“Is this her?”

The older woman was already reaching out for Irene. Irene looked at her Mommy for help but the lady was only nodding her head. Irene stood there; confused.

“Soo Yeon, is this Irene?”

“Yes Mom.”

Mom? Irene was finally putting the pieces together.

“Irene, you looked confused. Let me introduce myself. I’m your mother’s mom. So I’m your grandmother.”

Irene’s face lighted up immediately. She has other family besides her mother only.

“And I’m your aunty. Aunty Krystal. I’m your Mommy’s younger sister.”

Krystal winked and then put one arm over Irene. The girl was still awed by all the sudden appearance of her grandmother and her aunty whom she has never met before.

“Irene, this is Mommy’s family. They are here to visit you.”

Jessica’s voice was soft and gentle. She has never heard her Mommy talks to her like that. Irene’s eyes were filled with tears; she was deeply moved. Jessica saw her tears but she didn’t do anything. Her hands wanted to move but her feet forbade her to. Instead Tiffany wiped her tears away.

“Irene, why are you crying?”

Irene shook her head. She couldn’t say anything. Suddenly she was pulled into a tight embrace and she was completely stunned when she realized her mother was hugging her. Her Mommy. Her Mommy Jessica.

“Don’t cry. You’re a big girl now.”

Jessica tucked her daughter under her chin as she hugged the girl tightly. Tiffany, Krystal and Mrs Jung were pleasantly surprised and they had big smiles on their faces.

And Irene, well she was on cloud nine once again. She was finally in her mother’s embrace.

-

Erika looked out of the window. Their hotel room was at the highest level. Yoona booked a presidential suite. Well, it was her company who offered to let them stay there.

“Wow, this place looks good.”

Yoona was running from one room to another. Erika rolled her eyes. Yoona might be in her early forties but she was still like a child in Erika’s eyes.

“Can you stop running around?”

“The place is awesome.”

“You’re forty, Yoona not fourteen.”

Yoona stuck her tongue before jumping over the sofa. She the television and Erika joined her. They were sitting side by side when Yoona’s phone rang.

“!”

Erika was utterly disgusted with Yoona’s greetings. She pinched the lady’s thighs. Yoona flinched as she put her hand over the receiver and glared at Erika.

“OW!”

“How could you call someone that!”

Erika hissed while Yoona stuck her tongue out yet again.

“You’re getting on my nerves!”

“That’s my cousin and that’s her pet name. I’m a to her.”

Erika gave up and rolled her eyes. Yoona was crazy at times and she didn’t want to even question why. Fortunately, Yoona went to the kitchen to talk further while Erika stayed on in the living room. She was watching some sad sappy Korean drama.

The man was a cheater and left his pregnant wife alone at their house. But he soon regretted it when he realized his new girlfriend was just with him because of money. Erika sighed. Korean dramas nowadays often depicted real life situations.

She was in that situation 20 years ago.

Her name was Kim Taeyeon. She was born with a silver spoon in . Her father had everything and her family was one of the richest in Seoul. Taeyeon was popular with both boys and girls. But she was more interested in girls much to her parents’ dismay. Her mother was tolerant of her though but her father gave up on her at one point.

Taeyeon met Soo Yeon in school. She didn’t really fall for Soo Yeon because she wasn’t really interested to be tied down with someone. But Soo Yeon was gentle and kind; she was always there for Taeyeon at her worst moments. And when her father was hospitalised for heart bypass, it was Soo Yeon who persuaded and coaxed Taeyeon to visit him.

It worked and Taeyeon’s father had a good impression of Soo Yeon. He likes her and Taeyeon’s mother adores Soo Yeon so much. They allowed them to date and Taeyeon’s father even urged his daughter to marry Soo Yeon.

“I rather you marry Soo Yeon than you gallivanting with some random girls every night.”

“I will marry her, Daddy. I love her.”

“Of course you do.”

So, Taeyeon asked for Soo Yeon’s hand in marriage and the couple got married one year after the courtship. Initially, Taeyeon tried to stay faithful. She stood by Soo Yeon’s side and when Soo Yeon suggested having a baby, Taeyeon wasn’t really on board with her. She thought having a baby would tie her down even more but watching Soo Yeon so eager to have one; she relented.

Soo Yeon got pregnant somehow and she was ecstatic. Soo Yeon was really happy. Taeyeon was enjoying the first few months of her pregnancy. Soo Yeon’s hormones were really something but when she reached to her fifth month pregnancy, their ual activities were completely gone. Soo Yeon wasn’t in the mood all the time.

Taeyeon, being a byuntae, just couldn’t keep still. So she caved in to her desires and went out to find other random girls to satisfy her ual deprivation.  But there was one girl who knew about Kim Taeyeon. She was Taeyeon’s old classmate in high school. She was aware how rich Kim Taeyeon was and somehow found her way into Taeyeon’s heart.

One thing led to another until the day Soo Yeon found about Taeyeon’s infidelity. Taeyeon remembered that night so clearly. She knew she had lost Soo Yeon that night. And her heart was aching when she saw how Soo Yeon struggled so much with the pain.

Tiffany rushed Soo Yeon to the hospital that night; Taeyeon wasn’t far behind. She followed Tiffany secretly and when Soo Yeon was rushed to the delivery room; Taeyeon was at the front lobby. She waited for the whole night. She stood away from Tiffany who was in the waiting room.

Minutes turned into hours and Taeyeon was getting worried for Soo Yeon. She saw the panic state just outside of Soo Yeon’s room and Tiffany’s face was horrified. Taeyeon knew something was wrong. She had to know. Fortunately for her, one of her friends was working as a nurse at the hospital.

“Soon Kyu!”

“Taeng? What are you doing here?”

“I need your help.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Can you help me?”

“You have to tell me what’s wrong first.”

“My wife is in the hospital. She’s delivering my baby. Can you help me check on her?”

“Why aren’t you doing it yourself?”

Taeyeon bit her lower lip and told Soon Kyu the truth. Her friend was exasperated.

“I cannot appear in front of her or her best friend will murder me.”

“You should be responsible for your own actions.”

“I don’t want to aggravate her condition further. Please, Soon Kyu.”

“Fine.”

So Soon Kyu was the one who reported Soo Yeon’s condition to Taeyeon. And Taeyeon knew she had a daughter. Soon Kyu told her.

“Your baby is premature.”

“My baby?”

“You have a girl. She’s in the nursery room.”

“Wait, she’s born prematurely?”

“Yes, she’s not fully 9 months yet. And she has difficulty in breathing so the doctor put her in the incubator.”

Taeyeon’s face changed. Soo Yeon went into labour before full term and it was her fault. She was the cause for her wife’s anxiety and they could have lost the baby.

“Do you want to see her?”

Soon Kyu offered. Taeyeon hesitated.

“Don’t worry, I will bring you to her when your wife is not around.”

Taeyeon’s face lighted up immediately. So when she got the chance, Soon Kyu took Taeyeon to the nursery room. She pointed out Taeyeon’s baby.

“There she is. She’s your little girl.”

Taeyeon’s eyes were watery. Her lips were quivering as she stared at her tiny baby under the violet light. She watched as her tiny baby struggled to take a breath and Taeyeon’s heart ached so badly. Taeyeon stuck her index finger in and the little one immediately wrapped her palm around it. Taeyeon burst out immediately.

“Forgive me. Forgive your Omma.”

That was all she said that night.

-

Taeyeon returned to her home and realized something was not right. She saw her mother sat at the corner with her tears rolling down her cheeks. Her father stood there motionless and her siblings were staring at the floor for the longest time.

“What’s happening?”

Suddenly her father ran amok and lashed at Taeyeon. He slapped her hard on her face and her mother struggled to pull him away.

“CALM DOWN, YEOBU!”

“YOU STUPID KID! HOW COULD YOU SELL OFF OUR COMPANY TO SOME UNKNOWN PERSON?!”

Taeyeon’s eyes went really huge. She couldn’t understand what went wrong and what happened. She just stared at them.

“There’s some girl that you hooked up with right?”

Taeyeon looked away.

“You have a wife who’s pregnant with your child and you got with some other woman?! What are you, Kim Taeyeon!?!”

Her father slapped her. Taeyeon didn’t retaliate.

“Did you know you have just lost our company to a rival company? That woman you had an affair with is someone sent by our rival company to screw up with your mind!”

Taeyeon was broken.

-

After losing her father’s company and her family, Taeyeon ran away. She left Korea and went to another country to start anew. She had the intention to find Soo Yeon but she knew it was just stupid to do so. Soo Yeon would never forgive her.

She knew she had done a lot of damage to her family – both her wife, her daughter and even her parents and siblings.

She knew she made the wrong decision to run away but she couldn’t let Soo Yeon suffer with her. She’s no longer rich. She has nothing with her so she didn’t want to burden Soo Yeon.

So Taeyeon left; changed her name to Erika Kim and started a new life in some foreign country. She hasn’t been returning to Korea ever since then.

But now she’s back. Her company had sent her back to Korea to oversee the operations here since she’s a Korean. She took Yoona with her; her reliable assistant.

However Erika couldn’t forget Soo Yeon and her daughter. For the last 20 years, Erika had been alone. She doesn’t do dates; she doesn’t even have manyfriends except for Yoona.

Erika couldn’t bring herself to love another person; other than Soo Yeon. People may not believe her anymore; or even Soo Yeon might hate her by now but Erika only loves her.

She was pinning for Soo Yeon for the last 20 years.

And she wondered if she should start looking for Soo Yeon once again but she didn’t want to hurt her anymore.

Erika Kim was torn with her decision.

-

Irene was busy entertaining her grandmother and aunty. She was really happy to have them over and Mrs Jung quickly grew attached to her granddaughter. She often hugs the girl and caresses her cheeks. Her Aunt Krystal was really amazed at how beautiful her niece has grown into.

“I remembered you as a skinny baby.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, and you were as red as a steamed lobster!”

Irene laughed heartily as Krystal told her about her moments as a baby. Jessica was in the kitchen with Yuri and Tiffany. They were cooking up a feast and Jessica was smiling as she stared at her daughter.

“You did well today.”

Tiffany suddenly spoke up; Jessica turned to look at her.

“Hmm?”

“You hugged her. Did you see how surprised she was?”

Jessica smiled and then turned to look at Yuri. She was busy stirring the soup in the pot.

“She’s cute.”

“Now only you realize?”

“I’m aware how beautiful my daughter is.”

“Good.”

Jessica took the knife from Yuri and cut the carrots. Well Jessica wasn’t a professional chef but she cooked for herself when she was away all the time. At least, she was a little bit better than Tiffany.

“My mom said something to me that made me realized how much I’ve missed my daughter’s growing up moments.  Despite what I did to Irene, my mom was certain that my daughter would choose to stay by my side if something happens one day.”

“You’re not expecting that?”

“I thought Irene might hate me over time. I’ve been mean to her; nonchalant and ignorant of her everything.”

“Irene is sensible enough to know that you love her. Despite your cold demeanour, Irene is totally convinced that your heart has some space for her.”

Jessica looked up; completely enthralled by Tiffany’s revelation. She wasn’t aware of that.

“Give your daughter some credit. She’s not dumb. She even told me that she knows why you hate her. She was born when Taeyeon hurt you so badly. She was the probably the same reason why Taeyeon left you.”

“She said that?”

“Yes, she told me that when she was 18 years old. She couldn’t hate her Mommy who had suffered so much because of her.”

Jessica gripped onto the knife tightly. Her heart ached so much; she could never imagine how mature her daughter is. She started to regret.

“Jessica, it’s not too late yet. You still have so much time with her. Your bond as a mother and a child could never be broken no matter how one wanted it to be. She came from you. She lived in you. She heard your voice when you spoke to her. Your sense enveloped around her when she was still in your womb. It linked, Jessica. It’s not only through blood but Irene was certainly closer to you than anyone else in this world.”

Jessica kept quiet.

-

Krystal and Mrs Jung decided to stay over at Tiffany’s place. Krystal offered to bunk in with Irene but Jessica was the one who volunteered.

“I’ll stay in Irene’s room with her. You and Mom can take my room. My bed is bigger.”

Irene’s eyes went really wide when she heard what her mother had said. Today must really be a lucky day for her.

“Are you sure?”

Mrs Jung was pleasantly surprised.

“Yes, Mom. I can sleep in Irene’s room.”

Even Yuri and Tiffany were smiling widely. Jessica had decided to make a change and it was starting from today onwards. That night, Jessica grabbed her pyjamas and went over to Irene’s room. Irene was sitting on the bed; hugging her pillow tightly.

She watched as her mother moved around her room; Jessica noticed some photos of her stood neatly on her shelves. She has never seen them before; Irene took them without her knowing.

“You took these candid photos?”

“Er, yeah.”

Irene was tongue-tied.  If this Jessica was old Jessica, she might get reprimanded. But not tonight; Irene’s Mommy was being benevolent and gentle.

“You could just ask me.”

“You weren’t around most of the time.”

Jessica bit the bullet. She knew it was her fault. She looked around and saw Irene’s phone on her bed. She took it and then sat next to her daughter.

“Selfie?”

“Huh?”

“Don’t you want to take a selfie with your Mommy?”

“I DO!”

“Then what are you waiting for?”

Jessica laughed when Irene rushed forward and grabbed the phone from her mother. She unlocked the phone immediately and was already on standby. Jessica grinned.

Nevertheless, she smiled and Irene was rooted to her . This was the first time she had seen her Mommy smiling so sincerely. Her lips curled into a wide smile as well. They took their very first selfie and Jessica took a good look at it.

No doubt, Irene is Kim Taeyeon’s daughter. When she smiles, she looks like Taeyeon. The pain came on so quickly but a sudden embrace from her daughter melted her immediately.

Irene was hugging her.

“Why?”

“Thank you, Mommy.”

Jessica looked into her daughter’s eyes tenderly.

“Thank you for giving me life; everything and now this moment.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there much.”

Irene shook her head. Tears were b in her eyes and Jessica caught it. She wiped her daughter’s tears away.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t do much in the past but I promise we’ll get better from today onwards.”

Irene nodded and smiled with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Let’s be best friends, okay?”

“Okay!”

And this time, it was Jessica who embraced her daughter in her arms tightly.

-