Chapter 23

녹 (Rust)

Taeyeon opened her eyes in the middle of the night. She was feeling lethargic and her eyes sprung open. At first, she was confused as her eyes wandered around her surroundings. White ceilings, white fan and white walls – she could probably be in heaven or hospital. She tried to move her hand and came in contact with something soft and silky. She slowly glanced to her side and was taken aback when she realized something.

Jung Soo Yeon. She recognized that long silky brown hair strewn across Taeyeon’s arm. Her love was sleeping with her forehead on the edge of Taeyeon’s bed. Taeyeon suddenly remembered what happened to her earlier on.

She was still alive.

And Soo Yeon remained behind.  Nobody else was around except for Jung Soo Yeon.  Suddenly she remembered Soo Young. She shot up immediately and winced. Soo Yeon felt movements and woke up immediately. She was shocked to find Taeyeon sitting up with her crumbled expression.

“Taeyeon! You’re awake! Are you okay?”

“I think I got up too fast.”

Soo Yeon wrapped her arm around Taeyeon and assisted to rest comfortably on the bed.

“Don’t move. I’ll get the doctor.”

“No, Soo Yeon. Wait!”

Taeyeon grabbed onto Soo Yeon’s arm.  She suddenly recalled Soo Young’s words. Her action scared Soo Yeon.

“Are you still in pain?”

Soo Yeon was concerned but Taeyeon shook her head.

“Where’s Soo Young?”

“Soo Young? She has gone home.”

“Did she tell you anything?”

“Not really, what’s wrong Taeyeon?”

“I’m not sure if I was dreaming or anything but I somehow heard she was telling me she’s leaving.”

Soo Yeon bit her lower lip. She knew Soo Young was in the room earlier on. She left Soo Young with Taeyeon alone so she didn’t hear the conversation.

“Can you check out for me if she’s still in Seoul?”

“I will. I will help you but you have to calm down first, okay? I’ll get Dr Shim.”

Taeyeon was still holding on tightly to Soo Yeon’s arm. She knew she had to let go but she didn’t want to. This was the first time Soo Yeon was treating her nicely and warmly.  And Soo Yeon got the hint. She sat next to Taeyeon and the latter’s arms went around Soo Yeon immediately.

“I’m not leaving you, Taeyeon.”

“I know. I just want to hold you like this for a little bit longer.”

“But you’re in pain.”

“You can stop the pain if you let me hold you like this.”

Soo Yeon relented.

“Okay, scoot further in. I’ll lie down with you.”

Taeyeon nodded and Soo Yeon tucked her neatly under her chin. Taeyeon settled comfortably next to her wife and Soo Yeon cuddled her tightly in her arms. The latter turned slightly and their eyes met.  Taeyeon’s eyes were dreamy and glistening.  Soo Yeon took this opportunity and stared deeply into Taeyeon’s eyes. She wasn’t the only one.

Both took the opportunity to search something from deep within. Taeyeon was searching for Soo Yeon’s heart while Soo Yeon was searching her forgotten love for Taeyeon.  Both knew somehow that their time is over. But yet, the lingering feelings made it harder for both to give up just as yet.

“It’s gone, isn’t it?”

Taeyeon spoke up and Soo Yeon painfully nodded her head.

“I understand. 20 years is just too long.”

“But I still care a lot about you.”

Taeyeon closed her eyes and nodded.

“I know. I’m feeling it now.”

“I don’t want to let you go just as yet. I’m not willing to lose you to death. We have a lot more to do together as a family.”

“You’re willing to have me as your family?”

“Taeyeon, Irene is still your daughter. She’s our responsibility together. And it’s time for you to take part of it, isn’t it?”

Taeyeon’s eyes were watering. She never thought she could still be a part of Soo Yeon’s life. They could still be a family. It was enough for Taeyeon.

“Thank you, Soo Yeon. Thank you for forgiving me. Thank you for taking me back. Although this heart is no longer mine, I’m thankful for its graciousness to forgive a woman like me.”

Taeyeon placed her hand on Soo Yeon’s chest where the heart was beating strongly. Soo Yeon looked on and then wiped Taeyeon’s tears away. A pair of soft lips gently touched Taeyeon’s forehead.

“I just want to do something for Irene; for Sarang.”

Taeyeon nodded profusely.

“Yes, let’s do this for our Sarang. She has been in misery for far too long.”

“So promise me you’ll go for treatment. I’ll take good care of you.”

Taeyeon nodded before Soo Yeon embraced her tightly as both drifted off to sleep in each other’s arms.

-

Yoona made her way to the hospital before heading to office. Jessica insisted to stay by Taeyeon’s side so Yoona promised her that she would bring her breakfast. She quietly made her way to Taeyeon’s ward. She made some kimbap without cucumbers and a flask of milk coffee.

Many thoughts went through her mind and Jessica took 80% of them. She recalled Jessica’s words and she was caught between her loyalty as Erika’s friend and Jessica’s girlfriend. Even Irene seemed to take her side yesterday. She sent the girl home as Tiffany and Yuri headed home earlier.

Flashback

Yoona watched as Irene sighed heavily. She was curious as to why the girl seemed to be in a relief but confused at the same time.

“What’s wrong?”

“Huh?”

“Why are you sighing so heavily since just now?”

Irene sat up immediately and turned to face Yoona fully. She stared for a second and Yoona raised her eyebrows.

“Why? What’s wrong with my face?”

“Are you going to give up on Mommy since Taeyeon Omma is alright now?”

Yoona shrugged her shoulders.

“Are you seriously not going to fight for it?”

“I have no idea, Irene.”

“Didn’t Mommy confess her heart to you earlier on?”

“You overheard?”

“No, I encouraged her to. I mean, I told her to follow her heart.”

“If she chooses me, then what’s going to happen to your Taeyeon Omma?”

“Taeyeon Omma can still be a part of us; a part of the family. I mean, you said it before. No matter how hard I tried to deny it, she’s still going to be my mother for the rest of my life because her blood flows in mine.”

“You finally thought it through?”

“There’s no point denying it. And besides, every adult that I know is urging me to give her a chance.”

“Are you resenting us now?”

“Nah, I just caved in.”

Yoona laughed heartily and Irene stuck her tongue out.

“I’m really proud of you, Irene. I know you’re sensible enough to think things through.”

“I’m sensible but you’re selfless. Professor Choi too.”

“I’m just an outsider, Irene. Your Mommy and Erika had a life together. They are married and then they have you. Besides your Taeyeon Omma owes you half of her life and I want her to make it up to you for the rest of your life. She loves your Mommy for the last 20 years.”

“So did Mommy. Mommy loves her. Mommy was waiting for her but she never returned. Well, she did but it was too late. Mommy has opened her heart up for someone else. And honestly, Taeyeon Omma owes her life to someone else too.”

“You mean Professor Choi?”

Irene nodded and Yoona agreed with that.

“Professor Choi loves her and has been helping her without her knowledge. Well, Taeyeon Omma claimed she knew but I don’t think she realizes the depth of it. I personally feel that she should acknowledge Professor Choi.”

“But what if Erika doesn’t love her the way she loves your Mommy?”

“Even if she does, Mommy’s heart is with you.”

“You’re picking partners for your mothers?”

Irene smiled widely before staring ahead in silence. Yoona knew this girl is more matured than the girls around her age. She went through a lot during her childhood that taught her to think the bigger picture.

“20 years of broken hearts, disappointment, waiting, yearning and feeling afraid – all these just broke one into million pieces. Even if you could put the pieces back together, it wouldn’t be perfect anymore. The cracked lines; the smaller pieces may not fit anymore. Mommy gave up 20 years of her life to wait for Taeyeon Omma. Taeyeon Omma wasted 20 years; pondering, hesitating, contemplating and being cowardice before she could seek for Mommy’s forgiveness. There was just too much pain in between and even if they got together, it would be awkward.”

She paused before continuing.

“I don’t see the sparks between Mommy and Taeyeon Omma. Both were so awkward and even when Taeyeon Omma said she still loves Mommy; she didn’t sound convincing. Mommy was confused when I asked her if she can continue living without you by her side. I don’t want them to regret in the future. I don’t want them to waste their remaining years; wondering what would happen if they give the women who love them more than they love themselves another chance at happiness.”

Yoona listened attentively.

“Give Mommy some time to sort things out with Omma.”

“So you want me to wait for your Mommy?”

“Don’t give up just as yet.  Don’t let her regret and at least you won’t kick yourself when you realize that there’s a chance with Mommy but you refuse to take it up.”

“Geez, Irene. Why do you sound like you’re so much older than all of us?”

“My mothers are confused women – both of them, literally. I should be the brain to help them sort things out.”

Yoona giggled and pulled Irene’s nose gently.

“I’ll listen to you and give your mother some time.”

“Awesome!”

-

Yoona pushed the door open and stopped track of her steps. She looked up to find Jessica and Erika sleeping on the same bed. Jessica was hugging Erika with the latter tucked under her chin. Erika had her arms around Jessica protectively.

Yoona would be lying if the sight didn’t hurt her. It hurt like hell but Yoona put on a brave front and smiled at the thought of Erika’s reunited with her family. She was grateful and thankful to Erika for keeping her promise to keep alive and this is the time for Erika to bond with her family again.

She turned her attention to Jessica. Her posture was just proving a lot to Yoona. Jessica cares a great deal about Erika. Although Irene managed to shake her heart but Yoona believes that with given time, Jessica and Erika would fall in love all over again.

Yoona reckoned that if she wanted to leave, she needed more than just determination. She has grown fonder of Jessica and her love keeps growing over time. She gingerly walked over to Jessica and softly kissed her forehead.

She didn’t bother to wake the women up so she placed the breakfast on the table and left immediately. She couldn’t stand the sight but it would also be better if Yoona should just leave the couple alone. So Yoona left for work instead.

Work was the only thing that could keep Yoona from thinking. She took over Erika’s position and the company was now relying on her. She couldn’t make any stupid decisions because of her personal issues. Yoona took the professional stand when it comes to work.

“Yoong~”

Sunmi was walking past when she spotted Yoona. Yoona waved and gave a wide grin.

“It’s good to see you back. I assumed Erika’s fine?”

“Yeah, she made it through. She’s at the hospital now.”

“Okay, the kids are going to visit her later. Are you joining us?”

“I have an important meeting with the board of directors for lunch.”

“Gee, you’re getting busier since Erika’s not around, huh?”

Yoona shrugged her shoulders.

“Work is work. I’ll visit her after work.”

“Okay, I won’t disturb you. Oh, yeah. The COO and CEO are in the conference room now. I heard they have an announcement to make.”

“Oh, that’s right. I saw the email yesterday. I wonder what they have in mind.”

“A pay raise would be good.”

Yoona laughed. Sunmi stuck her tongue out before leaving Yoona alone. Yoona has taken over Erika’s job for the last 3 months. Erika took a sabbatical leave ever since she was diagnosed with her heart disease. The company allowed her to take leave to settle her issues.

3 months were short but Yoona had a lot to handle. However her CEO was impressed. And Erika kept giving positive feedback about Yoona. They had plans for her.

“Yoona?”

Yoona looked up to find her CEO standing at the front door. She quickly got up and invited him in.

“Good morning, Sir.”

“Morning, can I have a word with you?”

“Sure!”

The CEO walked in first followed by the COO.  Yoona bowed respectfully.

“Yoona, we’re impressed with your performance for the last 3 months. In fact, we have always been impressed with your commitment to the company ever since you joined in. You have been with us for 10 years now.”

“I’m old.”

The CEO laughed.

“Well, you still look gorgeous.”

“Are you flirting with me, Sir?”

“YA~ You still haven’t change!”

Yoona grinned and the COO shook his head.

“I literally watch this girl grew up.”

“God, you’re still calling me “GIRL”?!”

“I know you’re a woman now but when you joined us, you were only 30!”

“But Erika works here longer than me.”

The COO grinned and then jokingly spoke.

“Erika’s basically married to us.”

They laughed at the remark. It was technically true. Erika was working for them for the last 20 years. The company was just a medium sized firm but because of Erika’s hard work, it had become a multi-million company.

“Actually, we have something to discuss with you.”

“Oh? What is it?”

“We’re planning to expand our company in Europe.”

“Europe?!”

“Yeah, there are possible markets for us in Europe. A couple of clients are keen to render our services. Thanks to our firm in Singapore who has been branching out to America and Europe over the years.”

“So, you’re sending a team over?”

“Well, I have chosen the team from Singapore but I need more experienced employees to oversee the running of business in Europe. I was thinking of putting Erika there but unfortunately, she’s ill. The next best choice would be you.”

Yoona looked up; her mind was racing with many thoughts.

“Even the board of directors actually prefer you since you’re younger. The Singapore team are more comfortable with you since you have worked closely with them before. I could send the others but they do not have experience living abroad unlike you and Erika.”

“Wow. You think highly of me.”

“You’re Erika’s right hand woman. And I think you’re ready to venture on your own.”

“Am I given time to think about this?”

The CEO nodded his head.

“Of course you do. We’re only sending the team over next month. You have 3 weeks to give me the answer.”

“Okay, I’ll do that.”

“Great, we won’t be disturbing you further. I’ll see you during lunch time for the BOD meeting.”

Yoona nodded and both men left her office. Yoona slumped against her armchair and looked out of the window. The opportunity to stay away from Jessica and Erika had come. Being in Europe would give them a chance to re-bond their relationship together.

She whispered softly.

“Maybe this is a sign that I should back off from this relationship.”

-

Tiffany had just met her client and was on the way to have her early lunch. She went to the restaurant nearby Yoona’s office. She took a quick glance at her watch and wondered if Yoona was free to meet her. She was about to call her when the latter herself appeared in front of Tiffany.

“SHEESH!”

Tiffany jumped when she came face to face with Yoona. The woman was grinning widely.

“Don’t do that!”

“What did I do?”

“You appeared out of nowhere!”

“I don’t remember you being a weakling.”

“Shut up. I’m an old woman now.”

“Hehe, anyway what are you doing here?”

“I was just around the corner and was about to call you. Do you want to have lunch with me?”

“Yeah, I’m having an early lunch. There’s a meeting later and you should know me. I cannot get hungry.”

“Yeah yeah, pig.”

The two women settled down after Yoona ordered their food. She paid for Tiffany which the woman insisted to go Dutch. But Yoona was persistent.

“Thanks for the food.”

“Why are you so polite with me? It’s nothing.”

“I’m just being grateful, can?”

Yoona grinned and her eyes were fixated on the food. They arrived quickly. The pair ate quietly; Tiffany was watching Yoona’s every moves. She appeared listless.

“Are you tired or something?”

“Hm? Yeah, I’m taking over Erika’s duties.”

“Oh, you’re acting managing director now?”

“Yup, it but I don’t have much choice.”

“That goes to show how capable you are.”

“Yup, I’m so capable that they want me to run the office in Europe.”

Tiffany immediately looked up.

“What?”

“Our business is expanding to Europe now. They want me to oversee the operations there.”

“But they just transferred you back here?”

“They initially wanted Erika to go but since she’s sick, I’m next in line.”

“Wow, and you agreed?”

“I have many reasons to accept this job.”

“What do you mean?”

Yoona sighed and then put her utensils aside. She scrutinized Tiffany’s expressions carefully and then smiled weakly.

“I’m thinking of backing off.”

“You mean your relationship with Jessica?”

Yoona nodded.

“But – but she chose you, right?”

“She did but she’s more worried about Erika.”

“Yoona, what are you talking about now?”

“They are a family – Erika, Jessica and Irene. I don’t want to be the one who’s in the way if this time around; they can put this family back together. Irene needs both of them.  No matter what you said, I’m still the outside. She’s still married to Erika.”

“So you took up this opportunity to move to Europe?”

“It would be easier if we don’t live in the same country.”

Tiffany’s heart ached so badly for Yoona. Yoona’s sacrificing herself so that Jessica and Taeyeon could mend the broken family.

“Yuri’s going to be upset again if you have to leave for another country.”

“Heh! Maybe I’m a nomad.”

“You don’t own cattle.”

“I can own cattle if I have a farm.”

“You’re not going to turn into a philanderer again, right?”

“Why do you think I would do that?”

“Somehow you gave me that impression before.”

“HWANG MI YOUNG, IS THAT HOW YOU PERCEIVE ME?!”

“I CANNOT HELP IT! YOU’RE PRETTY, GORGEOUS AND FUN-LOVING! I NEVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD FALL IN LOVE! YOU CHANGE GIRLFRIENDS LIKE CHANGING CLOTHES!”

“I DO DATES!”

“I KNOW THAT’S WHY I’M SURPRISED YOU’RE IN LOVE WITH JESSICA!”

Yoona paused before giving Tiffany a smile.

“I never regret falling in love with Jessica. But I won’t be a womanizer just because I failed in this relationship!”

Tiffany nodded and then caressed Yoona’s arms gently.

“You know, Jessica has never been smiling so much since you came into her life. I’m not sure how she would react to this.”

“Err..”

“What?”

“About this, can you keep a secret from Jessica?”

“WHAT?! WHY?!”

Yoona bit her lower lip.

“I’m scared that she will break my determination if she tries to stop me.”

Tiffany was perplexed.

-

“Can you do me a favour?”

“You owe me A LOT of favours.”

“Fine, I’ll make it up to you.”

“I was just kidding, stupid.”

“Fine, shut up and listen to me.”

“Feisty.”

“KWON YURI!”

“Okay okay, what is it?”

“Where are you now?”

“I’m at the university. Why? Are you looking for Irene? She has just left. She’s going to the hospital.”

“No, I’m not looking for Irene. She’s here anyway.  It’s actually Taeyeon who needs this favour from you.”

“Taeyeon? Why? What’s wrong?”

“You work with Professor Choi, right?”

“Uh huh.”

“Could you check if she’s around? Taeyeon called her mobile but it didn’t get through. And when we called her home, someone said she’s no longer staying there.”

“What? Serious?”

“Yeah, so could you help Taeyeon with this? She needs to speak with Soo Young.”

“I’ll see what I can do, Jessica.”

“Thanks, Yuri! I’ll see you later.”

“Okay.”

Yuri hung up and then frowned. Come to think of it, she didn’t see Professor Choi today. Her lectures were taken over by a senior professor in school. She turned to her watch and decided to stop for the day. She was packing her stuff when another lecturer walked through their office door.

“Hey, Professor Kwon, you’re still around?”

“Yeah, I’m packing up now. I should be leaving soon.”

“Okay, I just came from the cafeteria. I overheard Professor Choi has quit teaching.”

Yuri was stunned.

“What?”

“She tendered her resignation yesterday and left with immediate effect.”

“Didn’t she have to tender for one month?”

“I heard the university has terminated her contract because she didn’t follow the employment regulations. Everyone was talking about it. We were wondering why she quit in such a haste. Do you know what happened?”

“I don’t, really. She didn’t say much.”

“It’s such a pity. Professor Choi has good records with this university. Her students adore her.”

“Do the students know yet?”

“No, it’s only among the lecturers and professors. Her lectures are taken over by Professor Lee Soo Man. The dean is re-shuffling the lectures for us.”

Yuri was still in a shock. She didn’t get to talk much with Soo Young yesterday. She picked up her phone and called Tiffany.

“Baby, where are you?”

“I’m on the way home.”

“We need to talk. I’ll see you.”

“Okay, I need to talk with you too.”

“What is it?”

“Just hurry. I’ll grab dinner as well.”

It was just chaotic.

-

Taeyeon looked on as Irene scooped porridge from the bowl. She blew onto it to let it cool. Then with a big smile, Irene led the spoon to Taeyeon’s mouth.

“Omma, AHHH!”

Taeyeon happily opened and Irene gently scooped the porridge in. Jessica looked on with a big smile. Taeyeon was happy. Irene was doing her part as what she promised.

“Does it taste good?”

“Yes, it is.”

“Mommy made it.”

Taeyeon jerked to her left and smiled at Jessica.

“Thanks, Soo Yeon.”

“Nah, it’s just a simple porridge. Irene is exaggerating.”

“I got to eat it twice!”

“I’ll cook for you all the time from today onwards.”

“Really, Mommy? Omma, did you hear that? You have to get well soon! Then we can have a proper dinner together.”

Taeyeon nodded eagerly. She never knew this day would come. Her daughter and her wife were by her side. This forgiveness was too easily given.  Irene continued relentlessly; feeding her Omma carefully. Once in awhile, she ate some on her own.

“Irene Jung, that’s for your Omma.”

Irene pouted when Jessica saw what she did.

“But I’m hungrrryyy~”

“You’re hungry?”

Taeyeon was asking this time.

“Yes! I rushed all the way here from school. I didn’t get to eat anything!”

“Why didn’t you tell me? We could share this.”

“Mommy doesn’t allow!”

Irene made face at her Mommy which prompted Jessica to giggle. She then walked over to Irene and flicked her forehead.

“I’ll buy dinner for you after Omma has eaten her porridge.”

“Are you staying over tonight?”

Jessica looked at the watch but Taeyeon knew she had something on with Yoona. She overheard her conversation with Yoona on the phone when the latter called earlier on.

“It’s okay. I’ll be fine alone.”

Jessica turned to Taeyeon. She was still worried.

“Dr Shim said I’m doing fine. In fact, I’m staying in the hospital. I have many people watching over me.”

“I wanted to stay but...”

“It’s fine, Soo Yeon. Don’t make Yoona wait.”

Taeyeon interrupted and assured her that it would be fine.

“Okay, I’ll leave once you’re done eating. But you have to promise me that you’d call if anything crops up.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“And take your medicine on time. If you need to go to the washroom, press for help. The nurses will help you. And keep warm. I leave my shawl with you.”

Irene looked on as her Mommy made a list for her Omma. She smirked at her Taeyeon Omma.

“Mommy is so long-winded huh?”

“I don’t remember her like that.”

“She has been like that lately.”

“YA~~ Are you even listening?!”

Jessica glared at the both of them; the two gave her a cheeky grin.

“Mommy, the whole world can hear you.”

“Jung Irene, are you being sarcastic with me?”

“Noooo~ I’m just answering your question!”

Taeyeon laughed when Jessica knuckled her daughter on her forehead. She was enjoying this too much; she was envious of families who can tease each other; just having fun. She never realized how much she has missed out for the last 20 years.

“Taeyeon? Are you alright? Why are you staring at us like that?”

“Huh?”

“Omma, is everything okay? Are you hurt?”

“No, I’m not. I’m just enjoying this moment so much. I’m so grateful and internally thankful to God for bringing me closer to my family.”

Jessica smiled and Irene hugged Taeyeon.

“We’ll always be a family. You should never doubt it anymore.”

Taeyeon nodded.

-