Chapter 25

녹 (Rust)

Yuri was sitting on Yoona’s bed as she watched her younger cousin manoeuvring from one room to another. She was grabbing her clothes and threw them on the floor. Yoona was packing her bags.

“Are you seriously not going to tell Jessica about this?”

“No.”

“Aren’t you going to regret this?”

“She has Taeyeon.”

“But her heart has you.”

“Don’t discourage me from leaving.”

“I’m not. I’m just reminding you to tell her at least.”

Yoona looked up in exasperated. She was desperately trying not to think about it but her cousin was putting ideas into her brain.

“You’ll regret it.”

“I don’t have a choice.”

“You do have a choice. She has given that choice but you were the one who keep pushing her away without her knowing.”

Yuri raised her voice and Yoona knew she wasn’t really happy about the decision to leave quietly. Yoona sat on the floor and massaged her temples.  

“What if she doesn’t allow me to leave? I have already signed the contract with the company.”

“Let her decide what you two should do next.”

“Are you insane? I’m not going to make her wait for me.”

“What?”

“She has been waiting for Kim Taeyeon for 20 bloody years. That’s really long. I think she has enough of waiting. I’m not going to make her wait for me endlessly.”

“Then what if she wants you? What if she really really cares a lot about you? What if she loves you and not Taeyeon?”

“I know she loves me!”

“Then what are you doing? You’re just doing the same thing as what Taeyeon did to her 20 years ago!”

Yuri stormed out of the room and slammed her bedroom door hard. Yoona was startled for a second before hot tears gushing out from the corner of her eyes. It was difficult for her too. It was never easy for her to do this but she had to.

“I don’t have much choice, Yuri.”

She whispered to herself.

-

Irene wandered around the campus after her lecture. Most of her university mates were already at the cafeteria; famished. She decided to take this opportunity to walk around on her own. Her mind was filled with Professor Choi – why did she leave so abruptly?

She stopped at the nearby koi pond and sat at the bench. She watched as the koi fishes moved around elegantly. She was minding her own business when she accidentally overheard few lecturers talking about Professor Choi.

“She quit on her accord, right?”

“Yes, I heard that she wanted to quit with immediate effect but the university has regulations to abide with. So she allowed them to terminate her contract.”

“Why must she do that? She has been with the university for the longest time. Isn’t it a waste?”

“I heard she did it because of love.”

“What?”

“I heard she’s doing something for her loved one. She wants to do something for her loved one before it’s too late.”

“Wow, she’s sacrificing her future for her boyfriend?”

“Seems like it is.”

“Wow, she’s romantic.”

“Or stupid.”

“How could you say that?”

“Sigh. It’s just woman’s nature to sacrifice something that she has worked for years just because of love.”

“I hope her boyfriend will appreciate what she has just done for him.”

“I hope so.”

“But she’s no longer in Seoul, right?”

“Yeah, I heard she has left the country totally.”

Irene was stumped to hear that.

“Sacrifice something? What is she sacrificing for Taeyeon Omma?”

Irene was confused.

-

Tiffany was in the kitchen when she heard the front door slammed shut. She took a peek and spotted Yuri with a black face. She knew her girlfriend was fuming mad. She recognized that face so much.

“Baby?”

She went out of the kitchen with her spatula and her pink apron. She was making dinner and Yuri slumped against the sofa. She pouted her lips slightly.

“What happened?”

Tiffany was taking the cautious approach. Yuri didn’t seem happy at all.

“Can I slap Yoona?”

“Yoona? What’s wrong? What did she do now?”

“You know she’s leaving right?”

Tiffany nodded.

“Did you encourage her to tell Soo Yeon that she’s leaving?”

“You’re mad because of that?”

“Jessica loves her, Fany ah. She wooed Jessica and made that poor woman fell in love with her. And then she decided to go off without telling Jessica!”

“She’s doing that for Taeyeon.”

“But Jessica loves her!”

“I know. I understand how you feel but Yoona has a point. Jessica has a family with Taeyeon. They have Irene.”

“Fany ah, they could still be a family without being together. They could stay here together for all I care. I’ve just had enough watching Jessica getting her heart broken again and again.”

“I didn’t know you care so much for Jessica.”

“Yoona is stupid. She’s a .”

“Yes she is but what are you going to do about it?”

Yuri stood up and clenched her fists tightly.

“I’m going to make her understand that love doesn’t come knocking on her front door too often. It’s either she try making it happen or let it slip from her fingers forever.”

Yuri’s words made sense somehow. And Tiffany was perplexed.

-

Taeyeon was ecstatic to know that she could be discharged today. But she didn’t inform Jessica or Irene about it. She discharged on her own quietly. Dr Shim was concerned.

“Are you sure you can head home on your own?”

“Don’t worry, Dr Shim. I’ll be fine.”

“You should call your wife or your daughter.”

“They are busy today. I’ll call them when I’m home.”

“What if they come by?”

“Then you let them know I’m home.”

Dr Shim chuckled softly.

“You just don’t want to burden them, right?”

Taeyeon nodded gently.

“They have been staying with me every single night. Irene is schooling and Jessica needs to work. You can call them after an hour. I’m sure I’ll be home by then.”

“Alright, I’ll call them when you’re safe at home. Call me when you reach.”

Taeyeon nodded gratefully. She picked up her bag and Dr Shim accompanied her to the taxi stand.

“So where will you be going from here?”

“I’ll head to Jessica’s home.”

“Oh?”

“She might kill me if I return to my own home. She has been looking after me.”

“That’s great! Okay, hurry! Get home safely.”

Taeyeon giggled softly before getting into the cab. Dr Shim helped with her bag and then waved goodbye as the taxi drove out from the porch.  It didn’t take long before she reached Jessica’s place. She wondered if anyone was home. She didn’t think of that initially. But she didn’t care. She could just wait outside the door.

Taeyeon was at the front door when she heard voices from inside. It was Yuri’s. And she seemed agitated over something.

“Yoona’s leaving without informing Jessica!”

“She wants Jessica to stay by Taeyeon’s side.”

“Jessica loves her, Fany.”

“I know but Taeyeon needs Jessica. And Yoona’s not going to be selfish for that. And Irene has just found her Omma. Besides Yoona’s leaving for Europe. Her company is sending her there for work.”

Taeyeon frowned.

“She can say no.”

“Yes she can. Her company was planning to send Taeyeon at first but the poor woman is sick now.  Yoona offered to go instead.”

“She’s going to be there for 5 years.”

“Yul, if Yoona’s fated with Jessica, they will end up together again no matter what pulls them apart in the first place. Yoona never says she’s going to give up on Jessica. She just wanted to give Jessica a chance with Taeyeon. And if they still fail, Yoona’s always there to welcome Jessica in her arms.”

“That stupid woman.”

“Don’t be so mad. I’m sure Yoona knows what to do.”

“But she hasn’t told Jessica yet!”

“She told me she’s going to write a letter at least. So don’t worry, okay?”

Taeyeon stood outside the door for the longest time. Yoona’s leaving and she wouldn’t let that happen. Jessica chose Yoona. She wants to be with Yoona, not her.

Taeyeon decided to look for Yoona.

-

Jessica was busy in her office. She had a lot of backlogged because she was busy looking after Taeyeon at the hospital. Seohyun called her last night because she needed Jessica to look through some of the documents.

“Seohyun ah, I’m sorry I left you with so much work.”

“It’s okay. I know you’re worried about Miss Kim. Is she alright, by the way?”

“Yes, she’s doing fine now.”

“That’s great to know. But are you sure you can stay in the office today?”

“She should be fine.”

Just then, her mobile phone rang. She answered almost instantly when she realized it was Dr Shim calling.

“Hello? Dr Shim?”

“Ah, Miss Jung, yes this is Dr Shim.”

“Is there anything wrong?”

Jessica seemed worried.

“No, no, Miss Kim’s fine. I’m just calling you to let you know that she has been discharged this morning.”

“What? How come she didn’t inform me?”

“She didn’t want you to worry. Anyway she called me earlier on. She said she’s home.”

“Home? Which home?”

“I think she went back to her own home. She was calling from her house phone earlier on.”

“Oh okay. She’s really fine now?”

“Yes, if not I won’t discharge her. But just ensure that she eats her medicine regularly. And I have given her appointment date. She has to come back to do some blood tests.”

“Okay, I’ll do that. Thank you for calling me, Dr Shim.”

Dr Shim hung up after saying goodbye and Jessica stared at her phone for a little while. Taeyeon didn’t return to her house but instead went back to her own apartment. She decided to call to ensure that she’s safe.

Seohyun has left the office to give her some privacy. Jessica had already gone through many of the documents. She has a few files left but she was worried for Taeyeon.

The phone took four rings before someone picked it up.

“Hello?”

“KIM TAEYEON!”

“Oh, Soo Yeon.”

“What’s this? Why didn’t you tell me anything?”

“I overheard your conversation with Seohyun yesterday. I know you’re busy and you’ve spent too much time with me at the hospital. I’m fine. See, I’m home safely.”

“Dr Shim has to call me. Why didn’t you call me?”

“If I call you, you’d rush to the hospital immediately. I’m fine, Soo Yeon. Just concentrate on your work.”

“Then why didn’t you return back to Tiffany’s place? Tiffany’s at home now. She could have made some food for you.”

“I needed to take some stuff. And I can cook for myself.”

“You’re not staying there.”

“Huh?”

“I’m going to fetch you home later, after I’m done with work.”

“Okay, okay. You can pick me up later. But you have to promise me that you’d finish your work first.”

“Why are you the one laying down the conditions?”

“I know you well. Soo Yeon ah, I’m really fine now. I’m cooking some simple dishes for lunch. And besides, Yoona’s at home too.”

“Yoona?”

“Yeah, I’m surprised to find her at home at this time of the day but yes, she was at home. She was sleeping.”

“I see. I’ll come over later. Is she around?”

“Yeah, she is. She’s cooking actually. Do you want to speak with her?”

Jessica bit her lower lip. She looked at the table and saw the files waiting for her inspection. She knew she had to finish them by today.

“It’s okay. I’ll see her later when I go there.”

“Alright now, just concentrate on your work okay? And remember to have lunch too.”

“I will.”

Jessica sighed.  Her mind was a little flustered when she thinks of Yoona and Taeyeon. She knew she was hurting Yoona but Taeyeon needed her. She was already confused and baffled when she realized that she wasn’t ready to give up on Taeyeon just as yet.

She pushed her thoughts aside as she grabbed the files. She needed to finish quickly. An hour later, Jessica had finally signed all the files on the table. She had gone through meticulously. Well, Seohyun made her job easy. The lady was really good in writing reports.

“Juhyun ah, can you come in?”

She had intercom her secretary.  Seconds later, Seohyun appeared at her front door.

“You called me, Miss Jung?”

“Yeah, I’m done with the files and proposals. The reports are really good. You can go ahead and process those that needed immediate attention.”

“I’ll do that now.”

“Thanks, Juhyun.”

Seohyun nodded and then looked at the time on the wall clock. It was almost lunch.

“Miss Jung, it’s almost lunch. Do you want to grab some food with me?”

“That’ll be great. Do I have any meetings today?”

“You are left with the finance and accounts reports. The auditors are coming next week so you might want to take a look at them.”

“Ah, that’s right. Gosh, I think I might need to grab a quick lunch.”

“We’ll just go nearby.”

Jessica nodded and grabbed her handbag. Seohyun left the room first to settle the files and documents on her table. She then took her wallet as well. The pair left office together and headed to the next building. There was a small eatery at the corner of the building.

Seohyun took the orders while Jessica waited at the table she chose near the exit door. She was looking around when Seohyun returned with a tray of drinks.

“Here’s your lemon tea.”

“Awesome.”

The pair talked for a bit about work before the waiter appeared with the mouth-watering food. Jessica never realized how hungry she was. She had too much hospital food.

“Wow, this pasta is great!”

“Yeah, I love it. I’m sure Miss Jung will like it too.”

“I’ve been eating food at the hospital. Sometimes Miss Kim stuffed hers into my mouth when she didn’t feel like eating.”

Seohyun giggled softly when Jessica rolled her eyes at Taeyeon’s mischievous moments. The pair continued eating when Seohyun glanced at Jessica’s phone. There was a photo of Yoona as her wallpaper. Seohyun smiled.

“Are you and Yoona unnie still together?”

Jessica ceased eating and took her phone. She knew Seohyun was looking at it.

“She seems fine. But we hardly meet nowadays.”

“Oh?”

“I spent too much time at the hospital, looking after Taeyeon.”

“I see.”

Seohyun nodded and then continued eating. She wondered if Jessica knew about Yoona leaving the country.  But Jessica continued talking.

“I really miss Yoona. I know I’m being unfair with her. She has been giving me so much space for me to settle my issues with Taeyeon.”

“So have you settled those issues with Miss Kim?”

Jessica shook her head.

“Do you still love Miss Kim?”

“I’m not sure if I do. But watching her lying down on that hospital bed, looking all frail and vulnerable, I couldn’t help it but feeling sorry and worried for her.”

“You feel pity for her?”

Jessica nodded.

“And Irene has grown closer with Taeyeon. I watch their interaction and I feel good inside. I mean, I feel like we’re a complete family now.”

“So you think you’re obliged to be with Miss Kim because you’re a family?”

“Oblige?”

“Your obligations towards Miss Kim are still there. I mean, technically speaking, you’re still her wife, right?”

“Yes I am.”

Seohyun nodded and then finally understood why Yoona unnie lied to her that day. She must have decided to leave Miss Jung quietly.

“Miss Jung, do you love Yoona?”

“Yes.”

“Wow, you didn’t hesitate.”

“I’m sure of my feelings for her.”

“Okay, so you want to be with Yoona eventually?”

“Yes I do, Juhyun.”

“Okay, then maybe I should let this slip.”

“What is it?”

“I went to Yoona unnie’s office few days ago. She was packing her office. So when I asked her, she said she’s moving office. But as I was leaving the office, I overheard her colleagues were talking about her leaving.”

“Leaving?”

“Yes, apparently she took up the job in Europe. The company is sending her there.”

“What?!”

“And I believe she’s not telling you because of Miss Kim.”

Jessica was stunned.

-

“You cannot do this!”

“How did you know?”

“Yuri was arguing with Tiffany over you.”

“What?”

“And I agree with Yuri. You should inform Soo Yeon that you’re leaving!”

“It will make it harder for me to leave.”

“Trust me, Yoona. Leaving cowardly like this will make you regret for the rest of your life.”

“I’m leaving because I’m giving you a chance to win her back.”

“I’m not taking that chance.”

“Why not?!”

“Because I might die somehow! You know the treatment is just to prolong my life but I’d eventually die if I don’t have a heart replacement!”

Yoona kept quiet.

“I’m contented that she has forgiven me. And I’m over the moon now because Irene has accepted me as her omma. I don’t need Soo Yeon to take me back. We can still be a family because of Irene. None of us can escape that.”

“That’s the reason why I’m giving you the chance to fix that linkage.”

“I don’t need to fix it. I’m meeting my lawyer tomorrow to prepare the divorce proceeding. We will share custody of Irene. I’m perfectly happy even if I cannot attain Soo Yeon’s heart but at least I have Irene as my daughter.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yoona, you must understand that my time with Soo Yeon is over. Yes, 20 years ago she was so in love with me. She was waiting for me but that was a long time ago. She found you. She fell in love with you and she needed you more than anyone in this world.”

“I’ll be away for 5 years, Erika.”

“I know. I called our CEO. He told me everything. But you can still make it work. 5 years is not long, Yoona. I’m sure Soo Yeon will wait for you.”

Yoona was perplexed now.

-

“WHAT?!”

“Miss Jung, are you alright?”

“Er, yes. I’m fine but can I know why she left for Singapore?”

“She said she has some unfinished business to do.”

“What?”

“I’m not sure what her reason for leaving is but she’s in Singapore right now.”

“Okay, thanks a lot, Miss Heo.”

Irene was at her administration office at the university. She wanted to find out more about Professor Choi’s reason for leaving. The clerk could only tell her where Professor Choi went.

She left the building immediately. Maybe Taeyeon Omma might know where Professor Choi would be since both of them had lived in Singapore for a short period of time.

She ran out of the school gate and took out her phone. She saw her mother’s message.

“Taeyeon omma was discharged?”

She was shocked at first but when she read the message further. Her Taeyeon Omma was back at her home. Irene decided to head there instead.

“Professor Choi, what are you doing?”

Irene wondered.

-