Chapter 27

녹 (Rust)

Jessica was holding on to Yoona tightly. She was sending her off at the airport. Yuri, Tiffany, Irene and Taeyeon were there too. Yoona caressed Jessica’s back gently to comfort her.

“I’m going to miss you.”

“I know. I will miss you too.”

“Why do you have to go so quickly?”

“I need to settle down first before I start setting up the new firm.”

“You’ll be too busy to talk to me then.”

Jessica pouted her lips slightly and Yoona leaned forward to kiss her.

“I promise I’ll call you the moment I reach. And we will talk using Skype.”

“You promise?”

“Yes, Jessica. I promise.”

Tiffany and Yuri were rolling their eyes and Irene was grinning away. Taeyeon chuckled softly. She misses this side of Jessica – her sweet aegyeo side.

“Jung Soo Yeon, you’re in your forties.”

“I don’t care what you said, Hwang Miyoung.”

“You have a 20 year old daughter.”

Jessica stuck her tongue out; leaving Tiffany even more infuriated. The rest could only laugh and Yoona hugged Jessica tightly in her arms.

“Whether you’re 40 or 50, you’ll always look pretty to me.”

Jessica blushed immediately and Tiffany smacked Yoona on her back.

“YA! Stop being so lovey dopey!”

“What?!”

“Let them be, Tiffany. They won’t be seeing each other for the next few years.”

Taeyeon suddenly spoke up. Yoona and Jessica looked over their shoulders and noticed Taeyeon smiling at them.

“Taeyeon..”

“Don’t look at me like that. I’m not even upset that Jessica chose you.”

“Hey, don’t say like that.”

“Jessica, I’m just glad that you’re here with me and even letting Irene to stay over at my place over fortnight.”

“She wanted to. She said she wants to spend more time with her Omma.”

Irene smiled sheepishly when her Omma turned to look at her. She then went up to Taeyeon and wrapped her arms around her Omma’s waist.

“Mommy will be busy on Skype with Yoona omma. I’ll be the one who’s going to accompany you.”

Taeyeon smiled widely and kissed her daughter’s forehead. She could never imagine that she could live her life like this. Suddenly someone flicked her daughter’s forehead.

“IRENE JUNG. Are you going to ignore Mommy now?”

“Nooo!”

“Then what makes you think I want to spend the whole time on Skype with your Yoona omma?”

“Yeah, we are living in different time zone. Are you going to abandon your mommy?”

Yoona added on and joined Jessica as the pair glared at her. Irene stared blankly at the two women staring at her. She turned to her Omma but Taeyeon was shrugging her shoulders.

“HEY.”

“Yes?”

“You’re supposed to defend me!”

“You should know your Mommy practically owns you.”

“Omma, you betrayer!”

The group couldn’t stop laughing; leaving Irene bewildered.

-

Yuri and Tiffany made their way home while Irene followed her two mothers for lunch. They were just glad that things worked out well. Yoona has left for Europe and the whole gang sent her off. It was chaotic when Jessica decided to cry her out the moment Yoona pushed her bag to the departure gate. Irene had to console her Mommy.

Tiffany was at the front door while Yuri went to park her car properly. Shortly after, someone knocked on the door. A delivery man was holding onto a package.

“Miss Kwon Yuri?”

“She’s coming up in awhile.”

“Oh, if that’s the case, can you sign this for her?”

“What is this?”

“It’s a package from Singapore.”

“Singapore?”

Tiffany recalled her conversation with Yuri earlier on. Soo Young had left something for Yuri. She quickly endorsed her signature and the package was given to her.

“Thank you.”

“It’s my pleasure.”

The deliveryman left and then shortly after, Yuri appeared at the front door.

“What’s that?”

“A package from Singapore.”

“Oh?”

“I think this is from Soo Young.”

“Have you opened it?”

“I’m waiting for you.”

“Let’s go inside.”

Yuri took the package and Tiffany closed the door behind them. Both settled down in the living room and Yuri started pulling a document file from the package. She saw the front cover of the file.

“LIVE ORGAN DONOR DECLARATION”

Tiffany’s eyes grew larger and Yuri was a little confused. She could only recognize the word “donor”.

“What does this mean?”

“Baby, this is a declaration form.”

“What kind of declaration form?”

“Someone has declared to donate their organ to another person.”

Yuri’s eyes grew larger.

“Which part of the organ?”

Yuri asked again. Just then, both of them saw it.

TYPE OF ORGAN DONATED: HEART

Their hearts fell immediately.

-

Yoona got onto the plane. Jessica had slipped a Polarid photo of them together which Irene just took a while ago at the airport. That would be their very first photo together. Irene took another one and gave it to her Mommy. Both of them had one each for safe-keeping.

She smiled widely.  Her heart felt at ease when Jessica agreed to her suggestion. They decided to go with the flow. Whatever events that were going to be unfold in their future, both of them would take it.

Yoona knew she would be fine with this arrangement. Besides, Jessica had confessed her heart and declared her love for Yoona in front of everyone including Taeyeon. There were no more restrictions and Yoona could easily respond and embrace Jessica in her arms without feeling guilty.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we will be departing in 5 minutes. Please put on your safety belt.”

Yoona could hear the announcement from the flight attendant. Everyone was busy settling down and listening to her instructions. Yoona was already strapped to her safety belt.  She kept the Polarid photo into her front pocket of her pants. She grabbed a book from her bag. It would be a long ride to London.

“We will stop over at Japan for passengers who need to transit to another flight.”

Yoona didn’t pay attention anymore. She was too engrossed with the book Jessica had bought for her at the airport.

She was all smiles.

She was happy.

She knew she would be the most fortunate woman in the world to have Jessica’s love.

-

Taeyeon was busy cooking. Both Jessica and Irene were at her place. Jessica wanted to sleep in Yoona’s room. The poor lady was already missing Yoona.

“Is Mommy going to be like this all the time?”

Irene was staring at the front door of Yoona’s room. Taeyeon smiled and shrugged her shoulders.

“She has finally found the one she really loves.”

“I’m getting jealous.”

“Why do you have to be jealous?”

“I’m Mommy’s girl!”

Taeyeon grinned before pulling her daughter’s nose. She then pulled out a bowl and placed some fruits in it. She put the bowl in front of her daughter.

“Your Mommy will have a lot of aegyo when she’s in love. She’s the sweetest when she falls in love. Her heart is so pure and her smile would spread from ear to ear. She’s the prettiest when she’s in love.”

“You could still remember how she looked like when she was in love with you?”

Irene’s question hit the nail in her heart. Her hands ceased moving.  Irene bit her lower lip; she didn’t mean to rake the past but it came so naturally.

“Sorry Omma.”

“It’s okay.”

“I shouldn’t have reminded you of the past.”

Taeyeon shook her head and smiled.

“It’s not your fault. If I am to regret, it’s solely my fault.  I shouldn’t have left her. I shouldn’t have been a coward and hiding for the last 20 years.”

“You had a reason.”

“You accepted my reason?”

“Mommy accepted it. Anyway, it has all been good now. But maybe it might not be for you since Mommy chose Yoona omma.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“I don’t regret that.”

“Aren’t you belittling yourself?”

“Yoona deserves your mother. Your Mommy should have a second chance to fall in love with someone who can take good care of her, unlike me.”

Irene shook her head and grabbed Taeyeon’s hand. She squeezed it tightly with a cheeky grin.

“Don’t be so hard on yourself. You still have me.”

“I know. I’m grateful for that. Thank you so much for your generous heart, Irene.”

“Tch. My heart is also yours. Okay, maybe not entirely yours but half of you and half of Mommy. I’m what you made me. I guess, blood runs thicker than water. Mommy has a cold aura but she’s warm at heart. You have a quiet demeanour but you have a big heart. You accept this even though you still love Mommy very much.”

Taeyeon was stunned with her daughter’s words. Irene smirked.

“I’m your daughter.”

“You’re too smart.”

“Oh come on, are you going to pretend that you don’t love Mommy anymore?”

“I’ll never stop loving your Mommy, Irene.”

“You did, for a short while.”

“Yes, and that was the dumbest thing I had ever done.  For that stupid short period of time, I lost your Mommy forever.”

That was a strong sense of regret in Taeyeon’s words. Irene understood it greatly. For 20 years, Taeyeon had been running away and she has lost not only her wife, but her daughter too. Well, almost.

“Don’t think of that anymore. We can start anew as a family. Well, I may not have both of you by my side all the time but I’m pretty certain that when I need someone, both of you would rush to my side.”

Taeyeon nodded profusely.

“I promise I would always stay by your side, Irene. You will never be alone anymore. I’ll give you all of my time to make up for that lost 20 years without you by my side.”

Irene nodded.

“You know, Omma. I’m really the most fortunate girl in the world.”

“Why is that so?”

“I have so many people who love me. Mommy, you, Yoona Omma, Mommy Tiffany and Mommy Yuri love me so much. And not forgetting, Auntie Krystal, Grandma and Grandpa too!”

Taeyeon’s heart swelled with more love. She was glad she didn’t give up on Irene. She didn’t give up on this family reunion. Irene was right. She might not have Jessica by her side but she knows Jessica would never give up on her when she needs someone.

-

Unknown to them, Jessica was listening to their conversation. Jessica smiled as she heard her daughter’s words. It has been 20 years since Taeyeon left. And it has been that long that heart was dead because of her painful past. She was so in love. She was so much in love with Kim Taeyeon; only to be broken and torn apart by the same person whom she cared so deeply.

For the last 20 years, she wanted to hate Taeyeon. She wanted to bury Taeyeon deep down in her heart and never to dig her past anymore. But she knew she was running away; she was a coward too. She was a coward towards Irene.

Irene has always been her precious gem in the world. But Jessica was too stuck in Taeyeon’s shadow to allow herself to be caring for Irene. And it was not helping that Irene’s an exact replica of Kim Taeyeon. Many times, Jessica asked herself if she was doing the right thing.  Most of the time she knew she was wrong but she never admitted it.

Jessica watched Irene grew up without her embrace; without her affection and without her love. She regretted those moments when Irene tried to reach out ot her but she pushed her away. She was too stubborn to hold her only daughter because of Kim Taeyeon.

But now, she was thankful. She was grateful to God to return Irene and Taeyeon to her. And she was forever thankful for letting her to meet the one she loves dearly – Im Yoona. Everything seemed to fall in place. She would never give them up until the day she dies.

“Mommy?”

Jessica looked up and Irene was stunned to find tears in her eyes.

“Are you crying?”

“No, I wasn’t. I was just reminiscing about the past.”

“Were you thinking about me?”

Jessica nodded.

“I’m sorry for the way I treated you, baby.”

Irene shook her head.

“No, I’ve never felt like I’m lacking.”

“Yes, but I missed out so much of your childhood.”

“I understand why you did what you did.”

“Irene..”

“Mommy, let’s forget about the past, okay? I’m here. We have this new reunion with Omma. Let’s move on together, okay? And furthermore, Yoona omma has become part of our lives too. We will live happily. I promise.”

“Irene’s right. Let’s move on. We are still a family.”

This time, Taeyeon joined them. They sat together and hugged each other.

“I’m so thankful for this, Taeyeon. I’m really grateful that you have returned to us. Please get well, Taeyeon. Let’s live together for as long as we can.”

Taeyeon nodded and pulled Jessica closer. She hugged the woman she loves and the daughter she has been cherishing with all of her heart.

-

Choi Soo Young sat at the corner of the room. She was plagued with worries and concerns. She stared blankly in space as she waited outside the operating theatre.  People came and went to give her emotional support but Choi Soo Young was still confused.

“Soo Young ah, Kyung Ho has a letter for you.”

Her mother in law placed the letter in her hands. She stared at it; not knowing whether she should read it. She already felt the worst and guilty for not taking care of him all this while.

“I know you married Kyung Ho because he asked you to. I know your heart couldn’t love him despite so many years. You married him so that he could live longer and be happier.”

Her mother in law comforted her.  Soo Young nodded and the old lady left her alone. She knew Soo Young needed a peace of mind.  Soo Young clutched the letter tightly in her hands.

Now she wondered what she should do.

Two important people in her lives needed her.

But she only has one heart.

So who should she give it to?

Choi Soo Young was bewildered.

-

“May day! May day!”

There was a complete chaos. Everyone on the plane was screaming and shouting.

“Everyone, keep calm!”

“We’re going to die!”

The plane suddenly twirled round and round. Everyone on board was thrown around like rag dolls.

“GOD, SAVE US!”

It was a total mayhem.

-