Chapter 29

녹 (Rust)

“Taeyeon ah, wake up.”

Taeyeon was sleeping peacefully on the bed when someone shook her shoulders harshly. She woke up abruptly and sat up; staring at the person.

“Jessica?”

“Hey, I’m sorry to wake you up like this but I think someone is looking for you.”

“Where?”

“The phone. He said he needed to talk to you immediately.”

Taeyeon was still confused and dreamy state but nevertheless she got out from her bed. She dragged her heavy feet to the living room with Jessica behind her. She gave a light yawn before grudgingly picking up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Taeyeon ah!”

“Oppa?”

Taeyeon was surprised. It had been years since her brother last called.

-

“Tiffany, there’s another letter.”

Yuri was receiving the classified documents from the courier man. It was from Singapore and Yuri knew who those documents came from.

“What? From Singapore?”

“Yes, it is from Singapore.”

“Let me read it.”

Tiffany rushed out from her bedroom with just her night lingerie. Yuri was a little stunned to find her y girlfriend with her see-through lingerie and the courier man’s eyes were stuck on Tiffany.

“Excuse me?”

Yuri glared and the courier man was embarrassed. He left immediately and Yuri pinched her girlfriend’s .

“What?”

“Do you have to wear such lingerie?!”

“I’m wearing it at home.”

“But it’s only for me to see.”

Yuri pouted her lips and Tiffany finally understood what happened. She leapt forward and gave her girlfriend a comforting hug and kiss.

“I’m sorry. I will let you punish me in bed later.”

Yuri grinned before lifting her girlfriend up. The latter was still holding on to the letter from Singapore. They then proceeded to sit at the sofa. Tiffany was still reading but her expression was different. She seemed perplexed.

“What is it?”

“It’s the doctor’s letter.”

“What does it say?”

“The doctor in Singapore has approved the organ donation.”

“What?! You mean Soo Young ....”

Yuri and Tiffany were horrified.

-

Jessica was startled to hear Taeyeon’s scream from the living room. She rushed out of her room immediately and was stunned to find Taeyeon slumping against the wall.

“Taeyeon!”

She ran up to Taeyeon and knelt down in front of her. Taeyeon’s eyes were red. She was struggling to breathe; Jessica wrapped her arms around her.

“What happened, Taeyeon? What’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

“She’s gone, Jessica. She’s gone.”

“What? Who’s gone? What are you talking about, Taeyeon?”

“She’s gone. She’s dead!”

Taeyeon collapsed right after that; Jessica was stunned. She immediately called for the ambulance and Taeyeon was rushed to the hospital.

-

“What?!”

“Tiffany, can you hurry? I’m scared! Taeyeon looked so pale and the paramedics said that her life was in danger. I need you, Tiffany. I cannot be alone!”

“Okay, I’ll come with Yuri but where’s Irene?”

“She’s on the way here with Wendy and her family. What’s going on, Tiffany? I’m so scared right now.”

“Just keep calm, okay? I’m on my way out now. I’ll see you there with Yuri.”

Yuri was already waiting inside the car. Once Tiffany got in, Yuri sped off almost instantly.

“What’s going on?”

“Taeyeon fainted. Jessica’s worried and terrified. We have to rush there quickly.”

“Hang on, I’ll speed up.”

“Yuri ah, about Soo Young, will you be telling Taeyeon?”

“I’m not sure. I need to find Soo Young though before she donates her heart. After this, I’ll find my colleagues and see if they know Soo Young’s whereabouts. Maybe I should get her family’s contact from my professor.”

“Yeah, maybe you should. This is urgent. I’ll accompany Jessica.”

Yuri nodded.

-

Jessica waited anxiously. Her hands shook and she was feverish. She never knew that she would be terrified knowing that Taeyeon could have died. She was confused as to why she was feeling this way. Was it because she used to love Taeyeon so much?

Or was it because she still has lingering feelings for Taeyeon? But she loves Yoona. Jessica was confused at the moment but she was relieved when she saw Tiffany rushing up to her. The latter pulled her into her embrace almost immediately.

“Jessica!”

“She’s still inside, Tiffany.”

“What happened? Why did she faint?”

“I have no idea. She had a call from her brother then suddenly she slumped to the floor. I rushed out when I heard her scream. She was crying her heart out.”

“Did something happen?”

“I have no idea, Tiffany. But she was saying something.”

“What did she say?”

“She kept repeating she’s gone.”

“Who’s gone?”

“I have no idea, Tiffany. She fainted after that.”

“Oh dear god, what else did the doctor say?”

“I don’t know. She has been in there ever since.”

“Calm down, Jessica. I’m sure she’s going to be alright.”

Just then, Irene came with Wendy and her family. Sunny and Hyoyeon were running behind the two girls. Irene ran straight to her mother.

“Mommy!”

Irene pounced on her mother and Tiffany looked on with sadness. Things shouldn’t be happening like this. Just then, the doctor stepped out from the operating theatre and both mother and daughter rushed up to him.

“How’s she?”

“She’s stabilized now. She seemed to be in a shock.”

“You mean, she’s going to be fine?”

The doctor smiled sincerely and nodded. He then tapped on Jessica’s shoulder gently. Jessica managed a smile and then thanked him profusely. He just politely shrugged her away.

“Just let her rest more. She should be fine after that.”

“Can we see my omma now?”

Irene asked immediately.

“They will push her to the ward. You can see her then.”

“Okay!”

Kim Taeyeon was going to be alright.

-

“Professor Kwon?”

“Hi, I have something to ask you.”

“You came all the way to my place so I guess this must be urgent.”

“Yes, it’s really important for me.”

“Sure, what is it that you need to know?”

“I need to find Professor Choi Soo Young.”

“Ah, Soo Young-shi, is there anything you need?”

“I need her family’s contact details.”

“I don’t have them but I have her sister’s email.”

“Her sister’s email?”

“Yes, her older sister. We used to study in the same high school. She’s still using that email. Sometimes she sends out invitations for alumni gatherings.”

“That’ll be great!”

“I’ll send it through your email.”

“Thanks Professor.”

-

Taeyeon was sleeping peacefully. Jessica sat by her side. She gently swept Taeyeon’s fringe backwards and kissed her forehead tenderly.  She whispered softly in Taeyeon’s ears.

“Please get well soon, Taeyeon.”

She looked on quietly. Taeyeon’s white porcelain face was still as beautiful as before. She took Taeyeon’s hand and held on tightly. Jessica knew she still cares so much for Taeyeon. They were supposed to get a divorce but it has not been finalized yet.

“I don’t know why, Taeyeon. I have no idea why my heart still cares a lot about you. Knowing that you might die really scares me, Taeyeon. I’m so confused right now.”

Jessica was perplexed.

-