Chapter 30

녹 (Rust)

“Kim Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon squeezed her eyes and stared blankly at the blinding light ahead of her. She tried to figure out who the person calling out to her.

“Taeyeon ah.”

The voice was now softer and gentler. For some reason, Taeyeon recognized that voice really well.

“Soo Young?”

Taeyeon whispered as she struggled to look straight into the light.

“Hey, why are you still sleeping? It’s a good day to be out there.”

“What are you doing? Where am I?”

“You’re in heaven, Taeyeon.”

“Heaven?!”

“Your time is not up yet, Kim Taeyeon. You promised you would work things out with Jessica and take responsibility of Irene. Why are you here?”

“I don’t know what’s going on. I’m very confused.”

“Don’t be. You’ll be safe, Taeyeon. You’ll be fine. Now, it’s time for you to return back. You have been sleeping for far too long. Jessica is getting weary, Taeyeon.”

“Huh?”

“Go now, Taeyeon. Just go.”

Taeyeon could find herself being slowly into an abyss. But before she disappeared, she suddenly screamed out.

“Wait, Choi Soo Young! Why are you in heaven?!”

“You’ll find out soon, Taeyeon.”

“What? Wait!”

Taeyeon’s surroundings turned black out of sudden and she could hear soft whining voice just next to her. She slowly opened her eyes to find Jessica sleeping next to her. Her face was right close to hers. She was stunned at first but a smile crept on her face when she realized how beautiful Jessica is.

She was really regretful leaving Jessica. She felt stupid enough to have fallen out of love with this woman and then lost her in the process. This woman had promised her heart; her love and her world but Taeyeon chose to give them up because she wanted much more than just forever. She didn’t want to commit but yet she dangerously and carelessly promised an empty one; leaving Jessica broken and resulted in Irene losing her chance to have a memorable childhood.

All started with her and Taeyeon knew she didn’t deserve to be with Jessica right now. But yet this woman chose to stay by her side; took care of her when her days were numbered and even gave her an opportunity to be called “Omma” by her daughter, Irene.

Now this woman has fallen in love with another. Taeyeon knew the kind of love Jessica was giving her was just purely sympathy and a sense of responsibility because technically, she was still her wife. Their divorce papers were still in the midst of processing but Jessica didn’t seem to be in haste to sign it.

Sometimes she felt sorry. Sometimes she felt like an idiot. If she could turn back the hands of time, she would never ever let this beautiful woman leave her side at all. But it was just too late now.

Just then, the beautiful woman was slowly waking up. Her eyes opened slowly and they met with Taeyeon’s gentle gaze. Jessica smiled before caressing Taeyeon’s right cheek with the back of her hand.

“Hey, you’re awake. Why didn’t you wake me up?”

“You look so beautiful when you’re sleeping.”

Jessica giggled softly.

“You’re so cheesy.”

Taeyeon smiled.

“Are you feeling better, Tae? You scared me when you collapsed in front of me.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“It’s okay. The doctor said you’re fine now.”

“I know I feel better.”

Taeyeon sat up slowly and Jessica grabbed the pillow as a back support. Just then, Irene arrived and she was smiling widely when she saw her Omma sitting up.

“Omma!”

“Irene!”

“Thank god, you look so much better now!”

“Did I scare you, baby?”

Irene nodded innocently.

“But Mommy was even scared. You fainted right in front of her. And I wasn’t home when you fainted. Mommy carried you on the back before some passerby helped to call ambulance.”

Taeyeon turned to look at Jessica who was already focusing elsewhere.

“I was frightened and I didn’t know what to do. So I carried you and ran all the way down. It never occurred to me that I should call the ambulance. Luckily the neighbour saw me and helped to call instead.”

“You silly woman.”

“I just couldn’t let you go. It’s not easy for me to watch you like this.”

Jessica was sincere with her words and Taeyeon’s heart ached. She pulled Jessica closer and hugged her.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. You’re fine now.”

Jessica patted Taeyeon’s hair like a child.

-

“Hi, This is Tiffany. I need to talk to Dr Edward please?”

Yuri and Tiffany have decided to call the doctor in Singapore. The letter did not state much information. There wasn’t even the name of the donor as well.

“Oh, this is regarding the letter he has sent to Seoul. I’m Miss Kwon Yuri’s girlfriend. Her English isn’t that fluent so I’m here to ask. She’s here next to me.”

“Okay, I’ll put through to Dr Edward.”

There was a pause and then the line was connected again. It was a quick ring before someone answered instantly.

“Dr Edward speaking.”

“Hi, this is Tiffany. I’m Yuri’s girlfriend.”

“Oh, Miss Hwang?”

“Do you know me?”

“Soo Young has spoken about you and your partner, Miss Kwon.”

“Soo Young?”

“Yeah, Professor Choi Soo Young has spoken a lot about you two. That’s why I sent the letter to you.”

“Hang on, you mean Professor Choi referred us to you?”

“Yes, is there anything wrong? Did you get the letter?”

“Ah, yeah. We wanted to know more. Is this letter sent by Soo Young?”

“Yes, it is.”

Tiffany seemed worried and Yuri looked on anxiously.

“She was the one who approved the organ donor form. She has agreed to the terms and conditions. We had already performed the operation on the donor.”

“What?!”

“We would be moving the heart organ soon to Seoul. We will send you the documentation tomorrow. When you accept it, you have to get the intended recipient to the hospital and speak with the doctor in charge in Korea, Dr Shim Chang Min.”

Tiffany and Yuri were stunned.

-

Irene was busy feeding Taeyeon while Jessica looked on happily. Taeyeon was happy too. She played along with her daughter just to keep her smiling. Watching Irene happy, Taeyeon would have died peacefully too if she had to.

Just then, Dr Shim came in. He was all smiles as he stood next to Taeyeon.

“You look good.”

“Thanks, Dr Shim.”

“I have good news for you.”

“Hm?”

Irene and Jessica were already by Taeyeon’s side. They were looking at Dr Shim earnestly.

“You’re up next for a heart transplant. We have found a suitable heart organ for you.”

“What?”

“Is that true?”

Jessica was quick to ask. Dr Shim nodded and smiled sincerely.

“We will be expecting the heart organ really soon. Once everything is ready, we will prep you for the surgery. As for now, try to take good care of yourself.”

Jessica was ecstatic and Irene was congratulating Taeyeon. They were too happy but Taeyeon was a little taken aback.

-

“Wendy ah, can you stop hogging the bathroom!? Mommy needs to use it!”

“Hyoyeon mommy, there’s another bathroom in the house!”

“Your Sunny mommy is using it!”

“Tell her not to hog it then!”

“She’s my wife!”

“Hen-pecked!”

“Hurry up!”

Wendy rolled her eyes and grabbed her bathrobe. She has decided to let her mother use the bathroom first.

“I’m going to let you use it.”

“Thanks, baby!”

“Don’t call me baby!”

“You’ll always be my baby!”

Hyoyeon rushed in and Wendy rolled her eyes at her Mommy. She went back to her room instead and just then, her mobile rang. Irene was calling.

“Irene unnie?”

“Wendy ah!”

“What’s wrong?”

“My mom’s fine now! She’s going to be cured soon!”

“Really? That’s great news!”

“I’m so happy now that I can eat a whale!”

“Seriously? You can? Isn’t that illegal?”

“What?”

“Eating a whale is illegal since culling them would put you to jail.”

“I’m not really going to eat the whale!”

“But you just said it!”

“IT’S A METAPHOR!”

Wendy laughed. She was teasing Irene because Irene was just so naive sometimes. But the real reason was to make Irene forget her unhappy memories. Sometimes Wendy felt the need to protect Irene. She had wanted to do so all the time. She had no idea why.

She stood against the wall as she listened to Irene chatted happily about her mother’s condition. She was unaware that her parents were watching her. Hyoyeon and Sunny were smiling widely.

“Looks like our daughter’s in love.”

“Yeah, you looked exactly like that when I told you I love you.”

“Ya, Kim Hyoyeon!”

“It’s the truth! You would have those shy ministrations each time I came nearer to you.”

“Oh shut up.”

“What? That was the reason why I fell in love you. Your innocence is so cute!”

“YA! SHUT UP!”

Sunny walked away in a huff and Hyoyeon went after her. Wendy was still unaware what happened between her mothers as she was still concentrating on Irene.

“Can we meet up tonight?”

“Oh? What’s the occasion?”

“I feel like having supper with you. Is that okay?”

“Why not? I’ll see you soon.”

“Okay!”

Wendy smiled. Maybe her mothers were right. She might be falling in love with Irene Jung.

-

Jessica was back at her house. She has been staying at the hospital for the last 24 hours. Taeyeon persuaded her to go home and rest. She has threatened to not to eat her medicine if Jessica continued to stay at the hospital.

After ensuring Taeyeon had her dinner, Jessica went home. Sunny and Hyoyeon were there to visit her and her daughter Irene went off with Wendy again. Jessica smiled as she watched Irene and Wendy walked out of the hospital together; hand in hand. She knew Irene might have a certain liking on Wendy and vice versa.

She finally could rest. She had the best news about Taeyeon’s condition and she knew Taeyeon could be fully recovered once she has that heart transplant. She took her phone out and skipped to the inbox message.

It has been days since Yoona last sent her a message. She missed the girl but she has decided not to disturb Yoona. She knew Yoona would be busy with her work as setting up a branch in a foreign country could be a hassle.  But she couldn’t help but missing that woman.

But she was too happy to be upset with Yoona so she just sent a message instead of getting mad at her.

“Yoona ah, I have some bad and good news for you. Taeyeon’s hospitalized when she fainted at home. But she’s fine now. And you know what? She can be cured! Dr Shim has found a donor and she would get a heart transplant really soon! I’m so happy for Taeyeon now. I’m sure you will be too, right? By the way, I miss you. I miss you so much. When are you going to call me? Are you still busy? Call me, okay?”

The message was sent and Jessica went off to take a shower. But for some reason, there was a returned message in Jessica’s inbox.

Her message to Yoona was undelivered. It didn’t get through.

-

Taeyeon was still awake. Sunny and Hyoyeon had gone home. Taeyeon couldn’t sleep. She couldn’t share the joy. She couldn’t stop but feeling weird about the heart donor. Dr Shim wasn’t sharing much either. He said the donor wanted to be anonymous.

Suddenly, she remembered her brother’s phone call. Hayeon had gone missing. Her brother was desperately searching for Hayeon and he was worried that something might happen to her.

Her eyes widened. Did Hayeon found out about her condition?

Then she recalled her dream. Her heart was getting even heavier.

“Why was Soo Young in my dream and why was she in heaven?”

Taeyeon was baffled.

-

 

 

There will be 3 more chapters before I end this story. I'll leave you with this chapter 30. 

The suspense will be ending soon. :)