Chapter 10

녹 (Rust)

It has been a month since Erika discovered her illness.  She was put under medication and had to come for medical appointments to monitor on her condition. She didn’t tell anyone but her personality was slowly changing. Erika was getting a little hot tempered lately. Even Irene was a little afraid of her.

Yoona was puzzled with Erika’s sudden change. They would usually come to office together but lately Erika preferred to go on her own. The excuse was; Yoona has a new girlfriend. So she didn’t need to drive Erika to work anymore.

“Erika Kim, where are you going?”

Yoona managed to catch her at the front door. Erika was ready to leave for work at 7.30am in the morning. Their office opens at 10am.

“I’m going to office.”

“In such early mornings?”

“I can have breakfast.”

“But you just had breakfast here.”

“I can eat twice if I want to. Can you stop asking me so many questions?”

Erika was disgruntled. She threw her temper at the bewildered Yoona. The lady was trying to be nice to her. Lucky for her, Im Yoona’s very patient with her. She has been her only friend for 10 years.

“You know, I’ve known you for 10 years. The only reason why you’re behaving this way is because you’re hiding something from me.”

Yoona knew her well.

“I’m not hiding anything.”

“Then why are you leaving such early mornings? And you’re avoiding me for some reason.”

“I’m not.”

“Don’t lie.”

“I’m not lying. I’m not avoiding anyone.”

“Then tell me where you are going in such early morning?”

“I told you. I’m going to office.”

Erika didn’t wait anymore and just walked out of the door. She slammed the front door hard and Yoona was staring in empty space. She was not convinced that Erika was not hiding anything.

“Damn it, I know you’re hiding something.”

Yoona decided to check on Erika Kim.

-

Irene was preparing for work when Jessica entered her bedroom. The girl was smiling widely the moment her mother popped her head in.

“Mommy~”

“Hey sweetie, are you going to work this morning?”

“Yup, Mommy Yuri’s going to send me.”

“I see. I’m sorry, baby. Mommy has to fly to US later. But I’ll be back in two days’ time.”

“It’s okay, Mommy. I understand. You have to work.”

“But Mommy is going to miss your birthday.”

Irene smiled sweetly. She was just grateful that her mother could still remember her birthday at least. She wrapped her arms around her mother and kissed her nose.

“I’m just glad you still remember my birthday.”

“I remember it all the time.”

“Thanks Mommy, I love you!”

Jessica smiled before sitting on the bed. She then took out something from her pocket. It was a jewellery box and Jessica pulled out a necklace from it. Irene was staring at it intently. She remembered seeing this necklace when she was younger.

“This necklace?”

She remembered seeing it in the photo she saw of her Mommy and her Omma.

“Yes, this necklace was gifted by your mother to me.”

“Oh, you still keep it?”

“This necklace was supposedly given to you. We bought this when you were still in my tummy. She asked me to wear it and then once you are born, I would give it to you.”

Irene nodded. Her mother must have it tough to keep seeing this necklace around her neck.

“I took it out and hide it away. I didn’t think that I would take it out one day.  I even thought I lost it but I saw it in my drawer.”

“It’s beautiful, Mommy.”

Irene saw the locket. It was Sarang written in Hangul. Irene frowned. And Jessica chuckled softly at her daughter’s expression.

“That was the name we picked up for you. We already knew you would be a girl so we wanted to name you ‘Sarang’. But who have known?”

Jessica’s voice trailed off but Irene was quick to embrace her mother.

“I love this name Irene too.”

“I named you Irene because it has a meaning to it. You were born prematurely but despite that, you were so calm and peaceful. You didn’t cry that much. Although I didn’t really hold you in my arms but when I looked at you; I felt peaceful. Irene means peace in Greek.”

“Oh? That’s how my name came about?”

“Yes, I decided to name you Jung Irene.”

Irene grinned widely. So her mother didn’t name her just because she had to. Her name has a meaning; a meaningful reference to how her mother felt about her for the first time she laid eyes on her.

Just then, Jessica put the necklace around Irene’s neck. She wanted to give this to her daughter.

“This is rightfully yours. This is your gift for your birthday.”

“But I thought you hate this necklace?”

“Well, I’m learning to let go. I have to stop holding on to all these things just because I cannot get over your Omma. So, I’ll slowly let it go. And besides, the necklace looks good on you.”

Irene smiled and then kissed her mother.

“Now, quickly get ready and have breakfast. I made you pancakes. Well, your Mommy Fany wants to compete with me to see if you prefer my pancakes or hers.”

Irene laughed. Her mother and her best friend could be quite childish at times but that what made them special to Irene.

“I’ll eat both!”

“We made a lot.”

“Then I’ll bring some to work. I cannot let good food to waste especially Mommy’s!”

Jessica’s smile was reaching her ears.

“That’s my girl.”

The mother-daughter’s relationship just got deeper and stronger.

-

Irene went to work with a huge smile on her face. Her Mommy Yuri has given her a watch for her birthday. That watch was the one she wanted all this while. And her Mommy Fany promised a dinner tonight – just her and Mommy Fany.

But she was surprised when Yoona came in out of nowhere and sang her birthday song together with their colleagues.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO IRENE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!”

Irene was stunned. She didn’t tell her colleagues about her birthday. Then she remembered her mother.

“My mother told you?”

“Yeah, your mom informed me. She said she felt sorry about not able to celebrate birthday with you because of her meeting. So I threw one for you instead at the office!”

Irene was touched. Her birthdays were usually celebrated with her Mommy Fany and Mommy Yuri. This was the first time she celebrated with so many people.

“Yoona informed us about your birthday 3 days ago. So we managed to get you some gifts. Well, Yoona is trying to put an awesome impression.”

“Hey! That was not my intention. I just want to make Irene happy.”

Sunmi stuck her tongue out and Yoona was already pretending to strangle her. But the latter’s face was blushing red and Irene knew Yoona was trying to do her job as her mother’s girlfriend.

“I appreciate Yoona omma’s efforts. I’ve always thought she was nice and sweet. She didn’t prove me wrong.”

Irene gave Yoona a big hug and Yoona returned with a tight embrace. She gave Irene an expensive gift – new iphone 6.

“Wow.”

“Your mother chose it and I paid for it.”

“Ah.”

“She said you love new gadgets especially phones.”

“Yes I do! Thanks Yoona omma!”

They had a short celebration and Yoona spent a lot on the food. Everyone in the office gave Irene birthday presents but one person wasn’t there – Erika Kim. Irene was disappointed when she didn’t see her around. And her room was empty too.

“Miss Kim bought you a gift as well. It’s in her room. I think she went out for an appointment.”

Sunmi offered an explanation for Erika’s disappearance.

“She did wish you happy birthday before she left.”

Yoona added on.

“Oh, okay. So I can just go to her room?”

“Yeah, you can go and pick up the present on her table.”

“Okay, I’ll do that later.”

-

Irene has forgotten about her gift from Erika. She was too busy with her work and it slipped off her mind. Yoona was busy with her clients so she couldn’t remind Irene about it.

Soon it was almost 7 in the evening. Jessica called Irene to say goodbye before her flight. She promised she would call her again when she reach US. Irene pretended to cry on the phone and Jessica was panicking. The girl loves to mother like that.

“YA~”

“Hee, just remember to return home, Mommy.”

“Duh, of course I will! My baby’s at home.”

“Yeah, your baby will wait for you patiently.”

“When are you meeting your Mommy Fany?”

“She’s coming around 7.30. I’ll wait for her at the office.”

“Okay baby. Take good care of yourself ok?”

“I will and do you need me to look after Yoona omma too?”

“She’s old enough.”

“Eee, Mommy’s mean towards her.”

“She’s supposed to look out for you; not the other way around.”

Irene laughed before she talked for a bit more with her Mommy. Most of her colleagues have left including Sunmi. She was alone with Yoona. Irene was thoughtful enough to pass the call to Yoona.

“I think you have a lot of things to tell Mommy.”

She ended up teasing Yoona. But she left her alone after that. She went back to her desk and decided to do some work while waiting for Tiffany.

Just then, the front door was opened and Erika came in; she was slightly drunk. Irene could smell the strong alcohol on her.

“Miss Kim?”

Erika stumbled along the way. She narrowed her eyes; she couldn’t see Irene properly.

“Who’s there?! Are you a thief?”

“No, it’s me. Irene.”

“Irene? Why are you still here?”

“I’m waiting for my god mother to pick me up.”

“Oh.”

“Did you drink?”

“Yeah, a little.”

Erika was swaying from left to right and Irene had to hold on to her tightly.

“I’ll help you to your room.”

Irene held her arm and slowly staggered back to Erika’s room. She saw the gift on the table. She gently placed Erika on the sofa.  Irene didn’t say a word as she went to the pantry to make some hot tea. She even pulled out a clean towel and wet it before rushing back to Erika’s room.

She sat next to Erika and placed the cup of tea on the coffee table. Erika was staring into empty space. Her mind was in a big mess as she recalled the day Soo Yeon stepped into her room and caught her with Clara.

It was a stupid move. Erika knew it was the stupidest thing she had ever done in her entire life. How she got with Clara remained blurry to her. It felt like she was possessed by Clara and she regretted it so much.

“Are you okay?”

Irene’s voice snapped her out of her past nightmares. Erika couldn’t really control her emotions anymore so she let her tears out. Irene was panicking.

“Why are you crying?”

“Irene ah, I’m the most stupid person on this earth.”

Irene looked on; not saying a single word.

“I was married before, Irene. I have a beautiful wife and we were expecting a child together. But I chose to leave her and I’ve lost them.”

Irene frowned but she still didn’t say anything.

“It was my fault; my stupid fault.”

“Well, you can always look for them and ask for their forgiveness.”

“Will you forgive your Omma if she ever came back to you?”

Irene looked down.

“See, you wouldn’t. So why should they?”

“I don’t know my Omma that well but if Mommy wants her back, I guess I’ll try to accept her.”

“But in your heart, you’ll hate her, right?”

“I don’t hate her. I just find it awkward if she ever calls me her daughter.”

“But will you accept her?”

Irene shrugged. And Erika was disappointed.

“But I’m sure your daughter would forgive you. You’re a nice lady.”

“I wish she would because I’ve been thinking of her every day. I’ve been thinking of her mother every single day and I can never put them away.”

Erika cried as she regretted leaving Soo Yeon. And Irene was just like her mother. She has Soo Yeon’s heart – they may look cold on the outside but they have the warmest heart in the world. She leaned forward and hugged Erika in her arms.

“Don’t cry. If you’re really sorry, you should look for them. Even if it takes you years to seek for their forgiveness, you should not give up.”

Erika looked up and stared at Irene’s face. The young girl was sincere enough with her smile and Erika felt a lot better. She wiped her tears away and Irene pulled her into her arms once again. Erika’s face was close to Irene’s neck.  And then she spotted Irene’s necklace.

It was familiar. It was too familiar.

“Where did you get this?”

Erika had to ask. Irene pulled out her necklace and Erika saw the locket. It was the same locket which Erika had got it personally designed for their unborn child.

“Mommy gave it to me.”

Erika’s eyes grew larger.

“She said it was supposed to be mine after I was born but she only gave me today on my birthday.”

“Today’s your birthday?”

“Yes, today’s my birthday. And it’s the same when my Omma walked out from my mother’s life.”

Erika’s heart was crushed.

-

Yoona was in her room; she didn’t notice the commotion outside Erika’s room. She was too engrossed with her work when Irene knocked on her door.

“Irene? Mommy Fany’s here?”

“Err, no but Miss Kim is in her room and she’s drunk.”

“Drunk?”

“Yeah, she’s drunk. And now she’s crying non-stop. I don’t know how to console her.”

“Oh okay, I’ll go look for her.”

“Okay, I have to go now. Mommy Fany just sent me a message that she’s here.”

“Alright, enjoy your remaining hours of your birthday ok? I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Irene left and Yoona went straight to Erika’s room. The woman was crying her heart out; her eyes were completely swollen. Yoona was shocked to see in that state.

“Erika?”

Erika didn’t look up but Yoona knew she was muffling her sobs.

“What happened?”

“Yoona...”

“What’s wrong, Erika?”

“I feel awful and miserable inside.”

“Why?”

“Today is the day I lost my wife and my daughter because of my stupidity.”

Yoona was stunned.

“What?”

“I never told you about my history. I wasn’t a good woman back then. I was a jerk. A to be exact who went around cheating on girls’ hearts.”

Yoona couldn’t think of anything. She just kept her silence as Erika continued her story.

“I found a girl who loves me whole-heartedly. Her tender heart; her beautiful soul – all that were used to be mine but I didn’t appreciate her. And I even had an affair when she was pregnant with my child. She found out about it and left me with my daughter. I lost them, Yoona. I lost them on this faithful day.”

Yoona was dumbfounded. She never knew this story from Erika. It came as a rude shock but seeing Erika in this state – it hurt Yoona terribly a lot. She finally understood why Jessica had a hard time with her last girl.

“I have to look for them, Yoona.”

“Yes, you ought to.”

“I owe them a million apologies, Yoona.”

“Um, and I think it’s much more than that.”

But Erika fell asleep. It was a tough day for her and Yoona started thinking.

“Why is your story so similar with Jessica’s past?”

Yoona wondered.

-

Irene was with her Mommy Fany. They were having a good time at the dinner place and Tiffany gifted her god-daughter with an expensive bag. Irene was thrilled.

“Wow, I’ve wanted this!”

“Yes I know, you wrote it on your notebook.”

“Heh?”

“Mommy Fany saw your notebook lying on the table and you listed things that you wanted to buy.”

Irene then realized something.

“That’s the reason why Mommy Yuri bought me that watch!”

“Yeah, we rather spend on you. You should save up your money for better use.”

Irene grinned as she hugged her prized bag tightly in her arms. Tiffany smiled when she saw the radiance on Irene’s face. She was glad that Jessica had decided to build her relationship with her daughter all over again.

She was scooping her desert when Irene suddenly looked all serious and stared at her. She knew that questioning look on Irene’s face.

“What? Do you have something to ask me?”

“Do you remember how my Mommy looks like?”

Tiffany ceased her scooping and stared at Irene. This was the first time Irene asked questions about her Omma.

“Why did you ask?”

“Mommy Yuri said you hate my Omma that you might murder her if you see her.”

“I won’t go to that extent to murder her but yes, I hate her.”

“Was my Omma that bad?”

“Why did you ask out of sudden?”

Irene bit her lower lip and shrugged her shoulders.

“I was born on the same day Omma left Mommy. No matter how I think about it, I felt annoyed that I was the reason for Mommy’s pain because I was born when Omma’s affair was exposed.”

“It wasn’t your fault, Irene.”

“But I feel like it is my fault. Mommy suffers for 20 years and yet she still loves Omma. I shouldn’t be born then Mommy wouldn’t have to suffer so much.”

Tiffany could see her god-daughter was going teary in her eyes. It was probably the worst feeling Irene could ever felt and over the years, she kept thinking she shouldn’t be born. Tiffany failed to notice that her god-daughter was in a lot of pain.

“Irene Jung, this is not your fault. Your birth has nothing got to do with your parents falling out with each other. They made a mistake but it was never yours. Your Mommy made a mistake for ignoring you for the last 20 years and your Omma was a coward; shrinking her responsibility as your Omma. But all these happened for a reason. And it was never; never ever your fault to begin with.”

“What if Omma decides to return and wants to meet Mommy and me?”

“That would be your mother’s judgement call.”

“You’re going to allow the person you hate the most to meet us?”

“I hate her but I don’t have the right to stop her from meeting you. Your mother has the right to decide whether she’s going to allow that coward to return to her side.”

“Then do I have the right to stop her?”

Tiffany finally understood her god-daughter’s anxiety. She wasn’t ready to meet her Omma. She didn’t even want to do so.

“You don’t wish to meet your Omma?”

“I don’t know what I would do.”

“Your mother will have to decide.”

“Then I hope Mommy will decide to stay with Yoona omma if that happens. Yoona omma cares so much about Mommy; she’s so sweet and caring.”

Tiffany smiled.

“So you approve of Yoona omma?”

“Yes, I’ve never seen Mommy smiles so much.”

Tiffany nodded.

-