Chapter 26

녹 (Rust)

Yoona pulled her luggage to the side of her room. Erika was resting in her room. She seemed tired earlier on so Yoona persuaded her to take a nap. But Erika kept reminding her about Jessica.

“Please, you have to let Jessica know you’re leaving. Please don’t make the same mistakes like I did.”

 Yoona got out of her room and sat on the sofa. The living room was in total darkness so Yoona the side light. It was slightly dimmed so that it wouldn’t be too overwhelming for Yoona’s tired eyes. She grabbed the wine bottle and a glass. She needed to unwind somehow.

She some soft music in the background and Yoona was tempted to sleep because it has been exhausting for her so far.

Should she tell Jessica that she’s leaving?

Or should she just give Jessica up and leave without telling?

Either way was perplexing for her. But Erika seemed to have calm down a lot. Her eyes showed sincerity and there were no signs of regrets when Erika urged her to give Jessica a chance at love. Did Erika just give up so easily? Or was there something more that Erika was hiding from them?

There were just too many questions clouding her mind. They were overbearing and weighed her down. Her shoulders felt so heavy like as though someone hung two boulders on them. She drank incessantly without caring about the hangover tomorrow.

Just then, someone was at her front door. The bell rang and Yoona knew who that someone was. Nevertheless, she got up on her feet and walked over to the door. She sighed before turning the knob. Her intuition was right – Jessica was standing on the other side of the gate. Her eyes were red.

“Sica?”

“Can I come in?”

“Sure.”

Yoona quickly unlocked the gate and ushered Jessica in. The latter bowed slightly before making her way into the living room. Yoona was watching her from her back and her heart ached so badly. She really misses Jessica so much lately.

“Where is Taeyeon?”

“She’s sleeping right now.”

“Oh.”

“Have you eaten dinner?”

Jessica shook her head.

“I made some chicken stew. Would you like to eat?”

“Sure.”

Jessica stood up and Yoona was already in the kitchen. She heated up the chicken stew and scooped a bowl of rice for Jessica. The older lady settled down at the dining table. There was silence from Jessica. She didn’t speak much and Yoona felt a little uncomfortable with the silent treatment. Dinner was served and Jessica thanked her before eating slowly.

Yoona sat across her; watching the lady concentrating on her dinner. Yoona was a little bothered with the way Jessica tried to steal glances of her. She had caught Jessica looking up but when their eyes met; Jessica turned away.

Yoona didn’t like the silence that much.

“Are you here to fetch Erika home?”

“Yes, I’m worried about her.”

“Yeah, you should take her home. She’s still not feeling well.”

Jessica nodded and continued eating.  

“Finish your food. I’ll check on Erika.”

Yoona got up on her feet and was about to walk away when Jessica suddenly spoke up in her cold tone.

“When are you planning to tell me that you’re leaving me behind?”

Yoona rooted to the ground. She didn’t dare to turn around.

“Why are you leaving me behind? Don’t you love me anymore?”

Yoona knew she couldn’t hide anymore. She slowly turned and looked up to find Jessica glaring at her. Her eyes were red and watery. It was obvious to Yoona that her girlfriend was really upset with her right now.

“Why are you treating me like this? Taeyeon did this to me before and now it’s your turn? Why are you hurting me? What did I do wrong to deserve such treatment from you?”

“Jessica..”

“I thought you were different, Yoona. I seriously thought you wouldn’t hurt me the way Taeyeon did. I gave my heart to you. I opened up myself for you. I let you enter and now you’re trashing me away like garbage!”

“No, that’s not true! I’ve never had that intention!”

“But you’re leaving without telling me!”

“Jessica, I..”

“Please don’t tell me you’re planning to give up on me because of Taeyeon.”

Yoona looked down and Jessica knew now.

“You’re giving me to Taeyeon?”

“I cannot be the one to come in between you and Erika.”

“You’re not even the third party.”

“I know but technically speaking, you’re married to her still. No matter how others look at it, I’m still the outsider in this whole mess.”

“You should have talk to me about this!”

“I tried. But you’re constantly worried about Erika when she was hospitalized the last time. You spent most of your time with her. I hardly have time with you anymore.”

This time, Jessica was feeling guilty. She knew this would happen; she knew this would indirectly push Yoona away from her but now that it was slowly coming true; Jessica couldn’t accept it. She couldn’t imagine her life without Yoona.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t think about you. I didn’t care about you. But I cannot let you go, Yoona.”

Jessica stood up abruptly and threw herself at Yoona in desperation. Her heart was aching so badly.  Yoona caught her and instinctively put her arms around her girlfriend. Her heart was torn. Jessica was crying.

“I’m sorry, Jessica.”

“No, please don’t apologize.”

“I’m being selfish. I never thought of you and how you would feel.”

“No, it’s not your fault. It’s mine. Yoona, please.”

“You still care a lot about Erika. And when I look at Irene, I don’t want to be the one ruining her moments with Erika. She needs both of her mothers  - you and Erika.”

“Irene is sensible enough to understand. She urged me to choose the one I really care about. Taeyeon is always her mother.  Taeyeon’s blood is running in Irene’s.”

“Exactly. Irene is Erika’s daughter. If there’s a possibility for Irene to experience a warm family ties, then I shouldn’t be the one who’s ruining it.”

“So you’re going to give up on me?”

Yoona shook her head. She held on to Jessica tightly before leaning on her forehead. She kissed the latter’s nose and then whispered softly.

“I’m not leaving forever. My company is sending me to Europe for 5 years. I thought it was a perfect opportunity for both of us to take a step back especially you. Erika’s sick right now. She needs you more than anyone else. She needs Irene by her side. I know, the three of you can still be family but I’m a selfish person, Jessica. I’m not sure if I could able to accept it – that I’m probably sharing you with Erika.”

“You don’t like me looking after Erika?”

“It’s not that but I’m just afraid that if we continue this, I might grow jealous and we would probably have a difficult time. I don’t wish to add on to your burden.”

“What are you saying now, Yoona?”

Yoona then cupped Jessica’s cheeks with her palms. She wiped Jessica’s tears away with her thumbs and then kissed the lady’s forehead gently.

“I’m not leaving you. Let’s just go along with the flow of events that are happening right now. I’ll be away for 5 years because of work. But I’ll not abandon you. You can still call me if you want. We can still talk over the phone or Skype. Maybe you can come over to visit me or I’ll return twice a year to meet up with you. If this works, then we will continue this relationship. But if it doesn’t work eventually, we can always be friends.”

Jessica stared into Yoona’s eyes. Her younger girlfriend’s smile was really warm and beautiful. It made Jessica feels secured.

“What do you think? Do you feel that this is the best solution right now?”

“I’ll do anything you said just as long as you won’t say you’re leaving me for good.”

Yoona smiled and then hugged Jessica tightly.

“If you fall in love with Erika again, just let me know.”

Jessica stared blankly.

“It’s only fair if you give her a chance when I’m away. I don’t want you to regret this. I’ve been thinking it through for the last few days. It’s fair to me; it’s fair to Erika and it’s fair to you. And of course, it’s fair to Irene.”

Jessica agreed. She nodded and then kissed Yoona on her lips. The lovers didn’t have much choice. But this seems to be the fairest settlement and Jessica hopes for the best.

Unknown to them, Erika was listening into their conversation. She was hiding behind the wall. Her heart ached a little but she was once again amazed at Yoona’s level of maturity. And Erika knew that Yoona would be the one for Jessica.

Suddenly her heart felt a little tight. Erika clutched the hem of her shirt tightly as she leaned forward to ease the painful throbbing of her heart. Perspiration was evident on her forehead.

“Erika?”

Erika turned and Yoona’s face was close to hers. Her arm was already around Erika’s shoulders.

“Taeyeon? Are you alright?”

“My heart hurts..”

“Here, sit down quickly.”

Yoona grabbed Erika and carried her to the sofa. Jessica was right behind her.

“Do you want to go to the hospital?”

“No, it’s okay. Just take my medicine on the table.”

Jessica disappeared into her room and ran out with a bottle of pills. She was nervous and worried. Erika quietly looked on as Jessica ran back into the kitchen and out with a glass of water in her hands. Then Erika turned to Yoona who held her by the arm as a support.

Her mind was filled with many thoughts.

Why did she come in between them?

And she was envious of Yoona because Jessica has, again, refuses to give up on her.

But Erika was really happy that Jessica has found a perfect woman who cares a big deal about her.

And even if Erika dies, she argues silently to herself that Jessica would be in good hands especially when Yoona is the chosen one.

“Erika, can you sit up?”

Erika nodded.

“Here, I’ll hold you. Jessica, pass her the pills.”

Jessica’s concerned eyes made Erika felt guilty. What did she do in her previous life to have such caring wife despite what she had put her through? She really wished she could turn back the hands of time where she could repeat her life all over again.

“Drink slowly, Taeyeon.”

“Thanks, Soo Yeon.”

Erika took a quick gulp and the pain quickly dissipated. Yoona then slowly placed her down on the sofa.

“How are you feeling now?”

Jessica sat next to Erika while Yoona stood up and sat on the other sofa. Both women were worried.

“I’m fine. You don’t have to worry. It’s the normal routine.”

“Why did you get discharged without telling me?”

“I don’t want you to spend so much time on me. You need to work.”

“You’re more important than my job, Taeyeon.”

Erika smiled then turned to look at Yoona. She waved her hand slightly and Yoona sat next to her as well.

“You’re really leaving tomorrow?”

“I have to. The company needs me.”

“What will happen to Jessica?”

Yoona turned to look at Jessica and then took her hand. She squeezed it tightly.

“We have decided to let things flow naturally.”

“So the two of you are still together?”

“I’m not leaving her, Taeyeon.”

Yoona was taken aback but Erika had that soft smile on her face.

“I know, Soo Yeon. I know I’ve lost you since I left you 20 years ago.”

“But that doesn’t mean I’ll not let you return back to me. You’re still a family to me, Taeyeon. Our daughter needs you too. So, please don’t give up on yourself just because I chose to be with Yoona.”

Erika shook her head and smiled.

“It took me 20 years for you to forgive me. I’m just contented that you still care so much about me, Soo Yeon.”

“So promise me you won’t give up on yourself. I’ll hate you if you do.”

Jessica pouted her lips and Erika chuckled softly. She nodded profusely and raised her hands to surrender to Jessica’s nagging. Even Yoona was obliged to giggle.

This could work. Yoona thought. And for Erika, she would hang on for as long as she could. And Jessica suddenly felt blessed to have two women who love and care so much about her by her side.

-

“Where’s Mommy?”

Irene asked Tiffany the moment she got home.

“Your Mommy has gone over to Mommy Yoona’s place to bring your Omma home.”

“Oh.”

“Give her a call later. But now, go and take shower before joining me for dinner.”

“You alone, Mommy Fany?”

“Mommy Yuri went out to run some errands.”

“Okay~ I’ll be your date tonight then!”

Tiffany pulled Irene’s nose gently before ushering her to her room. Tiffany was making pasta so she returned to the kitchen to finish it. But the phone rang instead so the woman turned to the corner of her living room instead.

“Hello?”

“Hi, can I speak to Miss Kwon Yuri?”

“She’s not in. May I know who’s this speaking?”

“I’m calling from Singapore. I need to speak to Miss Kwon.”

Tiffany frowned.

“She’s out at the moment.”

“Okay, I’ll call back again.”

“Do you want to leave a message?”

“No, it’s okay. I have been instructed to only speak to Miss Kwon. Thank you for your time, Miss and goodbye.”

The person hung up immediately and Tiffany was a little annoyed.

“Kwon Yuri, are you seeing someone behind my back?”

Tiffany was fuming mad.

An hour later, Yuri returned with groceries bags. Irene was the first to greet her but she was there to pre-empt her Mommy Yuri about Tiffany. She pulled Yuri to the corner before letting her in. Yuri was dragged with the bags in her hands.

“Ya~ what are you doing?”

“What did you do, Mommy?”

“What?”

“Someone called earlier on looking for you and Mommy Fany was furious about it.”

“Who called?”

Irene shrugged her shoulders.

“She’s pissed?”

“Beyond that.”

“You’re kidding?”

“I deduced it could be a woman who called you.”

Yuri’s eyes grew larger.

“But I don’t know any woman who might want to call me at home!”

“You’re so in deep . Mommy Fany is so mad now.”

“Geez, what the hell is going on?”

“I will help you with the groceries. Mommy Fany is in the living room. I’ll be in the kitchen.”

“Okay.”

Irene disappeared with the grocery bags and Yuri made her way to the living room. True enough, Tiffany’s nose was blaring with invisible hot air. Yuri swore she could literally see a dragon on Tiffany’s face.

Yuri cautiously approached her.

“Baby, why are you sitting there with your arms crossed?”

“You need to be honest with me.”

“I’ve always been.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. And Yuri gulped loudly.

“What did I do wrong?”

“There was a woman from Singapore called and she was looking for you.”

“A woman from Singapore?”

“Are you acting blur now?”

“No, I mean wait. I don’t know anyone from Singapore. I have never been to that country before. Did she leave any message?”

“I asked her but she said she only wants to talk with you.”

There was tint of annoyance in Tiffany’s voice. Yuri stood up and then went over to Tiffany’s side. She sat next to her girlfriend and hugged her.

“Baby, I swear. I don’t know anyone from Singapore. You know my English is horrible, right? How could I even communicate well?”

Tiffany pouted her lips.

“Then why would that woman wanted from you?”

“I don’t know. I’m equally lost and confused now.”

“Are you serious now?”

“Yes, I’m being serious. There’s no way I could have known someone from Singapore.”

“You’re not lying, right?”

“Baby, I only love you. How could I find another when you’re so easily jealous over a phone call?”

“Shut up.”

Yuri grinned before leaning in to kiss her girlfriend. Tiffany was easily satisfied with just a kiss and Yuri always knew how to get around her.

Just then, the phone rang again and this time, Yuri answered.

“Hello?”

“Hi, can I speak to Miss Kwon Yuri?”

Yuri frowned and Tiffany knew who called. She stooped closer to listen in.

“Miss Kwon, this is Nurse Hailey from Singapore General Hospital. I’ve been instructed to call you.”

“Wait, can you speak slower? My English is not that excellent.”

Tiffany was sniggering and Yuri rolled her eyes at her.

“I see. Well, someone you know had asked me to call you.”

“Someone I know?”

Tiffany was staring at her. Yuri maintained her innocence by shaking her head.

“Yes, someone you know by the name of Professor Choi Soo Young.”

Yuri and Tiffany stared at each other.

“You do know her, right?”

“Yes I do. What is this about?”

“I have a letter for you. I’m just informing you that I’d be sending via DHL courier. Professor Choi had asked me to send this to you. You would be receiving it in two days time. Can I confirm your address?”

Yuri confirmed it with the nurse before hanging up. Tiffany was already in confusion and Yuri was still staring at the phone.

“Professor Choi left something for you?”

“I guess so.”

“Where did the person said she was calling from?”

“Singapore General Hospital.”

“Hospital?”

Yuri’s eyes grew larger and then Tiffany stood up immediately.

“No way!”

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking, baby?”

“Please don’t tell me she’s sacrificing herself for Taeyeon.”

Both ladies were stunned.

Well, they were not alone.

Someone else was eavesdropping since just now.

“Professor Choi... what are you thinking of?”

Irene was perplexed.

-