Chapter 28

녹 (Rust)

A year later........

Taeyeon was downed in black blouse and pants. She wore minimal make up with just BB cream on her face. She smiled sadly.

“Are you ready?”

Jessica poked her head into Taeyeon’s room and the latter nodded. Jessica was also dressed in black. Both were planning to head out. Irene was waiting in the car. The couple got into their car and drove off immediately. There was just silence in the car.

“What time is the memorial service starting, Omma?”

Irene finally spoke up after the long silence.

“It starts at 10.”

“Will we be late? I don’t want to be late for the service.”

“No, we won’t be late.”

Irene nodded and Jessica reached out for Taeyeon’s hand. She held on tightly.

“Don’t be sad.”

“I’m alive because of her, Jessica.”

“I know. I’m really sorry for her demise too but we have promised that we would get through this. She made us promise that we would get through this together.”

“I know, Jessica. I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.”

“Don’t be upset anymore. You should live your life fruitfully for her sake.”

Taeyeon nodded with determination.  She knew she had to. She couldn’t waste the sacrifice she had done for her.

-

Tiffany and Yuri were standing around. There were many people at the memorial service. Everyone who attended the funeral a year ago had gathered once more. Everyone remembered her fondly. They sat near the entrance side. They were waiting for Taeyeon and Jessica.

The family arrived and joined the couple on the side. They smiled inwardly before settling down. Taeyeon was in a daze. She was the most badly affected. The death of that one person was too much to bear.

Tiffany patted on her back.

“Take it easy, Taeyeon.”

“It has been a year, Tiffany. And I’m still struggling to come to terms with her death.”

“I understand, Taeyeon. She means a lot to you.”

Jessica pulled Taeyeon into her arms and hugged her tightly. She was there by Taeyeon’s side since her death. The embrace meant a lot to Taeyeon. It gave her the best comfort but it wouldn’t erase the deepest pain that the wound in her heart was still raw.

“I’m sorry. I know I should be healing but it was just so difficult for me. I know I’m wasting your time; trying to help me get over.”

“Don’t say that. I don’t have any complains. I know how difficult it is. She’s someone special to you.”

Tears were b in Taeyeon’s eyes. Irene looked on. She was feeling a little awkward; not knowing what to do.

“Come on, everyone. Let’s not be upset. She’s up there with the angels in heaven. She’s probably smiling on us from above. Don’t let her down.”

Yuri put her arm around Tiffany and Jessica kissed Taeyeon’s forehead.  Taeyeon then pulled Irene closer and hugged her tightly. The ladies tried hard not to cry.

“I’ll never forget you.”

Taeyeon whispered softly.

-

Jessica stared at the photo in front of her. The memorial service was over and Taeyeon wanted some time alone. So Jessica headed home with Irene and her daughter had to leave for her lectures. Jessica was left at home.

Seohyun was helping to cover her at her work place. She took a day off and Seohyun handled the operations in the office. Jessica had promoted her and the latter could act on her behalf. Jessica took out the photo from the frame and sat on the sofa instead.

A tear trickled down her cheek as she recalled her memories with the person in the photo. It was extremely painful living her life without her. It was really torturous not having the privilege to hold the person’s arm and to feel her touches whenever time was hard.

She sighed as she caressed the photo gently with her thumb. It has so long since the person left. Jessica thought she could handle it but after some time, Jessica felt herself missing the person so much; very much that it hurt so badly.

“I miss you so much.”

Jessica whispered.

“I miss you like crazy, Im Yoona.”

Her heart ached so badly.

-

“Irene unnie.”

Irene turned to find Wendy running towards her. She smiled weakly.

“What’s with that smile?”

“What?”

“Can’t you give me a more energetic smile?”

“I just came back from the memorial service.”

“I know. My mom told me but that person wanted you to live happily.”

Irene sighed and nodded. She understood Wendy’s words. But she was still feeling gloomy. Wendy grabbed her arm and hugged her tightly.

“What?”

“I’m giving you a comforting hug.”

“Why?”

“I miss your smile.”

“Stop honeying me with your words.”

“What? I’m being nice!”

Irene rolled her eyes before flicking her finger on Wendy’s forehead. But she was grateful to Wendy for always being there for her during the hard times.

“Let’s go for dinner.”

Wendy’s ears perked up.

“Are you treating?”

“I’m always giving you treats.”

“Okay!”

“Ya! You cheapskate girl!”

“Hey, I lent you my shoulders to cry on all the time!”

The pair bickered as they made their way to the bistro.

-

Tiffany was doing the dishes while Yuri watched television. The pair who had just got home from the memorial service was equally quiet. They were tearing up when the priest was sharing memoirs of her.

Tiffany finished with the dishes and sat next to Yuri. Both were watching a comedy but it was awfully quiet between the pair. Suddenly Tiffany sighed and Yuri turned to look at her.

“Why?”

“I’m thinking of her.”

Yuri nodded. She understood.

“I know.”

“She was too young. She had a whole life ahead of her but why?”

“She made the choice.”

“She made the wrong choice.”

“I know, baby. But there was nothing we could do.”

Yuri turned off the television and sat facing Tiffany.

“We lost the people we care about. It’s still painful for me but we have to move on somehow.”

“I cannot imagine losing you, Yuri. I would die if I do.”

“Don’t think too much, Tiffany. I won’t leave you behind.”

“Death is something we don’t plan. It has been fated to our destinies.”

Yuri smiled widely and pulled Tiffany closer. She hugged and kissed her girlfriend.

“I’ll be there for you. Even if death does us apart, I’ll find my way back to you and we’ll stay together forever.”

“Yuri, please don’t say that.”

“I promise. I won’t let you be alone.”

The couple hugged each other tightly.

-

Taeyeon sat next to the granite slab. It was beautifully decorated and it was lime green. Taeyeon bought the most expensive granite stone. She stared lovingly at the photo in front of her.

“Hi. I’m here again.”

Tears threatened to fall and her voice quivered. Her fingers shakily caressed the tombstone in front of her.

“I’m sorry I haven’t been visiting but I want you to know that I’ve never forgotten about you. I just find it hard to be here because it was really painful when you left us.”

Taeyeon wiped her tears away but maintained a smile on her face.

“I know you wanted me to move on and live happily. I tried. And I’ll never stop trying; just for your sake. Even if it’s painful as I try to move on from this; but trust me. I’ll always love you.”

Tears fell profusely.

“I love you, my dear. I really do. Till we meet again, dear.”

Taeyeon cried for the very last time.

-

Taeyeon reached to darkness. Jessica was sleeping and Irene had informed her that she would be staying over at Wendy’s place tonight. She saw some food in the microwave. Jessica had left her with some meatloaf. She smiled widely.

Jessica. Jung Soo Yeon. She still loves this woman so dearly. Her heart would beat rapidly at the thought of Jung Soo Yeon. They were divorced but Jessica decided to stay with her. After all, Tiffany and Yuri needed some privacy. She has been invading for far too long.

Irene moved in with Jessica and has lived with Taeyeon for the last one year. They had some good times and of course, there were times when Jessica and Taeyeon couldn’t see eye to eye. But it was all good because Taeyeon was quick to apologize.

They were still loving and happy as a family. But Jessica’s heart belongs to someone else. And Jessica loves her so much. Taeyeon was contented having Jessica by her side. She wouldn’t ask for more. She wouldn’t be greedy anymore.

She the microwave to heat up the meatloaf. She poured herself a glass of milk and sat at the dining table. Today wasn’t really a good day but it was meaningful. A death of someone so precious to Taeyeon made her realized that she has to cherish whatever she has at the moment. Her times spent with Irene were carefully noted in her diary. She even took photos to remember each and every single moment she had with Irene.

Irene has been the best thing happened to her; after Soo Yeon. She’s smart, beautiful and has her Mommy’s wit. Taeyeon was thankful once again to God for giving her the chance to stay with her family. Her health improved after the heart donation.

Taeyeon touched her chest and closed her eyes. The heart was beating gently and softly. But each beat of her heart was filled with love and affection. She would cherish this heart for the rest of her life.

“Thank you, God. Thank you for giving me a second chance.”

Taeyeon cried once again.

-