Chapter 12

녹 (Rust)

“You’re Dr Shim Chang Min?”

“Yes, can I help you?”

“My name is Yoona. I need to ask about Erika Kim.”

“Erika Kim?”

“Yes, she’s one of your patients.”

“I don’t have any patient by that name.”

“What? Are you kidding me?”

“Oh wait, are you referring to Erika Kim?”

“Yes?”

“Oh, yes. She’s one of my clients.”

“Wait a second. You mean her name is Kim Taeyeon?”

“Yes, as per identification card. Her birth name is Kim Taeyeon.”

Yoona was stunned when she knew Erika’s full name. Her name is Kim Taeyeon.  Her heart almost stopped when she realized that Erika Kim is her ultimate love rival. She’s Jessica’s wife; the one who ran away without any explanation given to Jessica.

Her mind went blank as she walked away, dejectedly. If Erika’s the woman who had messed up Jessica’s mind but she was the same woman whom Jessica has loved for the last 20 years. She’s still in love with Kim Taeyeon till now.

Yoona’s confidence was shaken. She couldn’t breathe properly. Her heart ached so badly. Tears were already in her eyes.  She couldn’t figure out if her heart is hurting for herself or Taeyeon.

“Kim Taeyeon’s heart is deteriorating. Her condition is said to be in the critical stage. The only way for her to cure completely is getting a new heart.”

“A new heart?”

“Yes, a new heart.”

“Her condition is really bad?”

“Yes, we have asked her to go for treatment but she wanted to rely on medication. Of course, it would help but for temporary relief. It might get worse as she gets older.”

It was bad enough that she might lose Jessica but it would hurt Jessica if Taeyeon just dies like that. She was in a complete mess. Just then, her phone rang. She saw the ID caller. It was Jessica.

“Hey baby.”

Yoona answered with her sweetest voice.

“Hi sweetie, where are you?”

“Oh, I’m on the way back to the office. I just had an appointment.”

“Ah, I’m home.”

“You’ve reached?”

“Yes, and I’m now at home with Irene. I just reached like 5 minutes ago.”

“Okay, then you should rest since it has been a long flight.”

“Yeah, I feel sleepy now and Irene is forcing me to sleep anyway.”

Yoona suddenly had an idea.

“I’ll see you tonight. You get some rest, okay?”

-

Yoona decided to cook for Jessica. But Irene was conquering the kitchen. She was cooking for her mother.

“I wanted to cook for your mother.”

“Oh? What are you cooking?”

“Porridge?”

“That’s the best you can do?”

“I’m only 20. I just learnt how to cook. Mommy Yuri is an awesome cook!”

“I can cook too. She’s not the only one!”

“Oh? You can cook?”

“Duh!”

“Okay, why don’t you cook dinner for Mommy?”

“But you cook porridge?”

“I think it’s time for you to show off your cooking skills.”

Irene smirked and Yoona rolled her eyes at her. Nevertheless, Yoona was about to roll up her sleeves when Irene hugged her out of sudden. Yoona was taken aback.

“Why?”

“I just want to thank you for making Mommy happy.”

“Oh.”

“She has been smiling so much since she has been with you.”

Yoona smiled.

“You’re so cute.”

“You’re really sweet, Yoona omma. I really wish you will stay with Mommy for the rest of your life.”

Yoona’s heart ached. It was a dream to get acknowledged by Irene but after the horrible truth that she has uncovered, she wondered if Irene’s wish could come true.

“I hope so too.”

“I’m sure you will.”

-

Yuri was driving home when Tiffany called her. Her girlfriend sounded angry and Yuri was slightly alarmed.

“Fany?”

“Yuri, come to Yoona’s apartment right now!”

Tiffany hung up immediately and Yuri thought Yoona had gotten into trouble with her girlfriend. But nevertheless, she sped up and soon, she reached Yoona’s apartment. She ran up to the apartment and was surprised to find Tiffany and some other lady inside; not Yoona.

“Tiffany?”

“Oh great, you’re here. Come on in.”

Yuri was frowning as she approached Tiffany. She took a quick glance at the other lady and was surprised to find Irene’s face.

“Wait, is this...?”

Tiffany nodded.

“She’s Kim Taeyeon?!”

“Yes, she’s Kim Taeyeon, that jerk who ditched Jessica.”

“What is she doing here?!”

“She’s Yoona’s boss, Erika Kim.”

Yuri was horrified. Did Yoona know about this?

“Yoona doesn’t know I’m Kim Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon spoke up like as though she knew what’s on Yuri’s mind.

“I changed my name when I left Korea.”

“What the hell.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes.  She was really mad at Taeyeon but she was surprised that she didn’t have the urge to hurl abusive language at her. She was relatively calm but she had to clench her fists together when she saw Taeyeon staring back at her.

“You changed your name and left Korea. You hide in Singapore and never return for the last 20 years. What the hell went through your mind for the times you were there?”

“Tiffany, I regret what I did. I live in regret for the last 20 years.”

“Then why didn’t you return?”

“That was the biggest and stupidest mistake that I’ve ever done. I wish I could undo everything but it has been said and done. I cannot turn back the hands of time anymore.”

“Then why are you back now? Why did you come back only now?”

 Taeyeon kept quiet. She could understand Tiffany’s anger. Yuri was holding on to her tightly; urging her to calm down.

“Soo Yeon went crazy after you left. She ignored; abandoned your daughter because she couldn’t look at her face. That poor baby reminded her of you!”

Taeyeon’s tears fell immediately. She knew this was her biggest mistake. Tiffany was in tears too. She was angry at Taeyeon for leaving; for being a coward.

“I’m sorry, Tiffany.”

“I was the one who raised your daughter, Taeyeon. Every day I wished you would return and apologize to Soo Yeon. I prayed every day that you would come back and take responsible of your wife and your daughter but you never did. I waited and waited but it has been 20 years and there’s nothing from you. Even if you don’t have the pride to face her, you could have dropped a letter at least. But there was nothing from you, Taeyeon!”

Yuri was still keeping her silence. It was too much for Yuri to absorb. Her heart was filled with pain for Yoona. What would happen to her dear cousin?

“How is she now, Tiffany?”

She looked up when she heard Taeyeon asking Tiffany a question. But instead of Tiffany, Yuri was the one who answered.

“She’s fine. She’s seeing someone who loves her; who cares about her.”

Tiffany was surprised at Yuri’s sudden outburst. Yuri was normally the calm one. She would not interfere no matter how annoyed she could get. It must be because of Yoona.

“You’re...?”

“I’m Yuri, Tiffany’s girlfriend and Yoona’s cousin.”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew larger.

“My cousin is seeing your Soo Yeon. Jessica Jung is Jung Soo Yeon and Irene is your daughter.”

Taeyeon was crestfallen.

-

Jessica was really happy that she got to spend time with Yoona alone. Irene was going out to meet Wendy and her friends for a late movie.  Tiffany and Yuri called last minute that they couldn’t be home in time for dinner so Jessica got the whole house to herself.

Yoona was washing the dirty dishes. Jessica joined her. Jessica suddenly felt shy being with Yoona alone. The smile on her face was perfect. Jessica’s heart fluttered.

“Why?”

“Stop smiling like that.”

“What’s wrong?”

“You’re shaking my heart too much.”

Yoona grinned before leaning closer. Her lips were pressed tightly on Jessica’s.

“I miss you.”

Jessica spoke softly.

“Oh?”

“I really miss you so much.”

“I thought you missed Irene more?”

“I do but my heart is missing you too.”

Yoona smiled warmly. Jessica wanted to help but Yoona stopped her.

“You have delicate hands. I’ll do the rest.”

“You’re pampering me too much.”

“It’s okay. I want to pamper you for the rest of your life.”

Jessica was visibly touched. She hugged Yoona from her back. She might be in early forties but Yoona’s love has transported back to her younger days.

“You’re so beautiful and sweet to me. I cannot imagine my life without you.”

Yoona was surprised with Jessica’s revelation.

“Are you in love with me?”

Jessica nodded.

I’m so in love with you now. You make me feel like I can do anything because I know you’ll always be right here with me.”

Yoona smiled widely.

“I never expected this.”

“Why? You don’t trust me?”

“No, I mean you were so adamant that you wouldn’t fall in love with me.”

She shook her head.

“I guess my heart wants to move on from her and start a new life with you.”

Jessica was sincere with her words.

-

Irene went over to Wendy’s place to pick her up. They would be meeting Seulgi and Joy at the cinema. Hyoyeon was busy reading her newspapers when Irene appeared at her doorstep.

“Oh, Irene!”

“Hi Aunt Hyo. I’m supposed to go out with Wendy.”

“Oh yes, but she’s getting ready. It might take 10 minutes. Do you want to come in?”

“Okay, sorry for bothering you.”

“Nah, you’re not. I’m so glad to meet you again.”

Irene bowed slight and waited in the living room. Wendy walked past in just her towel and she jumped when she saw Irene.

“Oh my god! You’re early!”

“It’s okay, you can take your time.”

“I’ll be right back!”

Wendy ran back to her room and Hyoyeon was sniggering away. Irene was tickled with Wendy and her mother. They made a cute pair. Just then, Sunny reached home. She was still upset with her meeting with Taeyeon earlier on.

“Aunt Sunny!”

Sunny looked up to find Irene waving at her. Her heart was broken when she saw how sweet Irene’s smile was. The poor girl had no idea how fate had been playing a fool with her and Taeyeon. Maybe this was God’s test for Taeyeon.

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m waiting for Wendy. We’re going to watch a movie with Seulgi.”

“Ah, okay.”

Sunny took out her purse and pulled out $100. She walked over to Wendy’s place and gave it to her.

“Momo?”

“Here, take this. Pay for the movie.”

“Woooo~”

“You have to take good care of Irene, okay?”

“Oh? Oh okay!”

“Later, send her back home in the cab. I give you more than enough for the taxi fare and everything.”

“Am I her bodyguard now? She’s older than me!”

“She stays further from the cinema. Seulgi can sleep over later.”

“Okay.”

Sunny had a sudden feeling of responsibility towards Irene. Taeyeon was being an idiot once again and she has a medical condition. Her heart was feeling sorry for Irene.

“That’s all I can do for you, Irene. I’m sorry.”

Sunny’s heart was in so much pain.

-

Taeyeon was at her apartment all alone. Tiffany and Yuri left hours ago. Her heart was aching. Her daughter had always been in front of her all the time.

Irene Jung. That’s her daughter with Soo Yeon. She felt like killing herself when she realized the amount of pain she has inflicted on everybody.

Tiffany told her everything from A to Z. She finally understood why Tiffany really hates her so much. And Yuri has never seen Yoona falling head over heels for a woman before. Neither did Taeyeon. Yoona was often seen as a player and she knew this time, Yoona was being serious.

And Irene, she has mentioned before that she doesn’t like her Omma. Her Omma was the cause of her Mommy’s misery. And she saw how close Irene had gotten with Yoona.

Now she’s in dilemma.

Should she find Soo Yeon and reveal herself?

Should she confess to Irene that she’s her Omma?

It was so maddening on her part. She really wished she could turn back the hands of time.

-

 

 

 

I've made up my mind.

And an extra bonus chapter for everyone to ponder.

This episode might be a huge clue for my ending.