Chapter 24

녹 (Rust)

“What?”

“Soo Young has quit and left the country apparently.”

“You can quit with immediate effect?”

“No, the university terminated her.”

“So you’re telling me she had just disappeared into thin air?”

“Yes, if that was even possible.”

“Is she hiding or something?”

“I think it must have something got to do with Taeyeon.”

“Taeyeon?”

“Remember what Irene said? Soo Young likes Taeyeon for the longest time.”

“You mean, she’s leaving because of Taeyeon?”

“I strongly believe that she’s backing off since Taeyeon has reunited with you, Jessica.”

Jessica couldn’t believe it. It was just a few days ago Soo Young had come to visit Taeyeon. Never did she know that would be the last time she would ever meet Soo Young. 

“Soo Yeon?”

Jessica immediately turned when she realized Taeyeon was awake. She smiled and went over to her side. She was still contemplating if she should share the news of Soo Young.

“Did Yuri say anything about Soo Young?”

Taeyeon was determined to meet Soo Young again. She wanted to thank her good friend who has been helping her silently; reuniting her with Irene, her daughter. Jessica stared blankly at Taeyeon’s face. Taeyeon would be crushed if she found out about Soo Young’s disappearance.

“Soo Yeon?”

“Huh?”

“Why are you staring at me like that?”

“Oh, nothing. I was just day dreaming.”

“Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.”

Jessica smiled as she sat next to Taeyeon. The woman kept staring at her; anticipating for Soo Young’s news.

“Did Yuri say anything?”

“Taeyeon, Soo Young is no longer a professor at the school. She has left the university.”

Taeyeon was shocked as her eyes were wide open. Soo Young wasn’t lying when she said she was leaving.

“Yuri doesn’t know where she is?”

Jessica shook her head.  Taeyeon was crestfallen.

“Tae, do you know where she lives besides the address you gave to me?”

“I don’t have any idea. She doesn’t really talk much about her family.”

“I’m sorry, Tae. We have no idea Soo Young is right now.”

Taeyeon was feeling remorseful. She recalled those memories she shared with Soo Young. She could never forget the first day Soo Young came up to her with a packet of food. Taeyeon had never felt so eternally grateful and Soo Young was her gratitude.

“She had given me a new lease of life, Soo Yeon. Without her, I’m not sure if I could still be alive now.”

“I understand how you feel, Tae.”

Taeyeon then turned to cup her hands on Jessica’s cheeks. She gently caressed the latter’s cheeks with both of her thumbs and smiled widely. Jessica just looked on.

“I never told you about Soo Young.”

Jessica nodded.

“Soo Young had not only saved my life but she has given me the reason to carry on living. She gave me the courage to face difficulties in life and urged me to move on from adversities. I thought I could die when I came to Singapore, penniless and homeless. I lingered from place to place; begged for food and even criticized when I got near those people. I wondered why I tried to run away when I could just face you and start all over again. But when Soo Young took me home, she didn’t say a single word. She gave me new set of clothes and then gave me a shelter under my head. She shared a room with her flatmate, Hyomin. They were studying and working at the same time.”

Taeyeon paused while Jessica gently nudged her. She was urging her to continue.

“I could barely walk or even stand on my own. Soo Young was the one who brought me to the doctor and I was advised not to sleep on hard floors. My back bone was a little crooked because of lack of nutrition. Soo Young gave up her bed for me. She slept on the mattress on the floor. Her flatmate, Hyomin was equally nice as Soo Young. She gave me her old clothes for me to wear and then both of them got me a job at a restaurant.”

Taeyeon’s eyes were watery as she spoke of her past.

“The first few years were difficult but Soo Young helped me to pull through. When she realized I was a business graduate, she got her lecturer to recommend a job at a marketing company. In the end, both of us got in together and I started as an assistant accountant. The owner of the company recognized me because of my father. But I begged him not to mention anything and I promised him that I will work hard from bottom.”

“And you became the CEO of the firm eventually.”

Taeyeon nodded and Jessica smiled widely.

“You have changed, Tae.”

“Yes I did but I couldn’t make it without Soo Young.”

Jessica nodded and then bit her lower lip. She was aware of Soo Young’s affections for Taeyeon.  She needed to know.

“Tae, can I ask something?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you aware of Soo Young’s feelings for you?”

“I am.”

“Then why didn’t you...?”

“I’m completely hung up on you, Soo Yeon.”

Jessica looked away. Her heart was aching when she learnt that Taeyeon had never given up on her either for all these years.

“But Soo Young has always been there.”

“I’m just realizing it now, Soo Yeon.”

“You mean...?”

Taeyeon smiled before she sat up and crawled over to Soo Yeon’s side. The latter was sitting on the edge of her hospital bed. She took Soo Yeon’s hands and held on tightly.

“I won’t deny that I still have feelings for you. But after much consideration, I think it’d be better if I take the back seat this time.”

“What do you mean, Taeyeon?”

“I could see how much you mean to Yoona. She’s like Soo Young; giving her best ; putting us back together despite her heart hurting so badly. I have never seen her being so serious towards any woman except you. Im Yoona is a carefree woman; she used to claim she’s a free elf. No woman or man could tie her down and she has never believed in true love. But you changed her perception. She fell for you; that one woman she actually cares a big deal about. I mean, who wouldn’t fall for you, Soo Yeon? You’re beautiful and charming. I was too blind to see it back then.”

Jessica placed her index finger on Taeyeon’s lips.

“Let’s not talk about the past anymore.”

“But I’m serious now, Soo Yeon. I’m just glad that you took me back; you were forgiving and even bridged the link between me and Irene. I’m really grateful to God for letting me this opportunity to spend time with you and Irene; just like how we did for the past few days. But I don’t think we should be together just because we were supposed to. I’d want you to find your happiness; not with me but with the one whom you really care about – someone like Im Yoona.”

“Taeyeon..”

“I’d feel better if you would think about your future first. I mean, we’re already having that special link through Irene but I want you to find your true happiness and grab it if it’s not with me but with someone else.”

Jessica immediately pulled Taeyeon closer and hugged her tightly. She was feeling troubled about this issue for the longest time. She had the hardest time – whether she should stay with Taeyeon or start a new life with Yoona. But Taeyeon seemed to be able to understand her heart better than she did.

“But what will you do if I choose Yoona?”

“I’ll be happy.”

“You’re not going to back off from the treatment, right?”

Taeyeon chuckled softly.

“With you by my side every single day at the hospital, do you think I have the opportunity to run away in the first place? If you’re not around, our daughter would watch me with her hawk eyes.”

Jessica laughed softly. Taeyeon was right. Irene could really nag; it was worse than Jessica’s.

-

Irene walked around the school compound. She was appalled to learn Professor Choi has left the university. And nobody seems to know where she was right now.

“What the hell please don’t tell me she’s running away?”

Irene had that suspicion when Professor Choi urged her to look after her mother. That was the very last time she has seen Professor Choi.

“So did you manage to confess to Omma?”

Professor Choi nodded.

“Wait, you confessed when she’s sleeping?”

“She could hear. You may never know.”

“Yeah, and hopefully she would wake up and remember it.”

“If she doesn’t, it’s fine by me.”

“I’ll tell her!”

Professor Choi was taken aback at how determined Irene was trying to put her Taeyeon omma with Soo Young.

“Why are you doing this?”

“What am I doing?”

“You’re trying to match make me with your Omma.”

“I want the best for both of my mothers.”

“What do you mean?”

“I told you before. 20 years is too long to rekindle a relationship that was already broken into pieces. No doubt, things could be mended but I believe my mothers’ relationship is already torn and broken.  And besides Mommy has feelings for Yoona Omma.”

“You prefer Yoona, don’t you?”

“I still have a long way but I’m sure I can rebuild my relationship with my Omma over time. Mommy is not getting any younger. And you’re not either. Why aren’t you giving yourself a chance at happiness?”

“Your Omma loves your Mommy Jessica.”

“You didn’t give it a try and yet you admit defeat.”

“I guess I’m not strong enough. But promise me something, Irene.”

“Hm?”

“Whatever happens in the future, you have to promise me that you’d look after your Taeyeon Omma. She needs you. She loves you, Irene. She has never stopped talking about you. I know she has tremendous guilt deep down in her heart. Allow her to love you; a chance to be a good mother to you, Irene.”

Irene smiled widely and nodded.

“I will. I promise you.”

-

Meanwhile Yoona was preparing to leave for Europe. She had agreed to take over the business operations unit in Europe. She was putting Sunmi in charge while she was away.

“Are you going to stay there forever?”

“No, I’ll be back once the business operation runs smoothly.”

“Will Erika be back?”

“I’m sure she will. I’ll be away for 5 years.”

“You’re not running away, right?”

“Running away?”

“I’m aware of certain things. I know you’re stuck in between Erika and her wife.”

Yoona smiled but it was a sad smile.

“I’m giving Erika a chance to redeem herself. She owes her wife a lot especially with their daughter too.”

“So you’re giving way to Erika?”

“They are a family, Sunmi.”

Sunmi sighed and shrugged her shoulders. That woman is a strong believer in love.

“For me, if love is no longer apparent, I’d not stay anymore. I mean yes, I have a daughter with that person but I’d not stay with that person because of that.”

“You think the wife feels the same?”

“I’m not sure. But if she’s in love with you, you know you’ll make the biggest regret of your lifetime.”

Yoona smiled.

“My biggest regret is to tear a family apart without giving them a chance to mend it back together.”

“You’re too romantic and sweet. Damn it, I wished I wasn’t married.”

“Then what?”

“I’d date you!”

“Sunmi, you’re full of nonsense.”

Sunmi stuck her tongue out and left Yoona alone. Well, the latter was right. Yoona took this as an escapade for the relationship mess. It would be easier to walk away than to be stuck between love and friendship.

Just then, someone appeared at her front door.  It was Seohyun.

“Seohyun?”

“Good afternoon, Miss Im.”

“Call me Yoona.”

“I’ll call you Unnie.”

“Fine with me. But what are you doing here? “

“I was nearby so I thought I would come and visit. Anyway, Miss Jung asked me to check on you.”

“Jessica?”

“Yes, she’s worried about you.”

Yoona smiled and nodded.

“I’m fine.”

Seohyun nodded but her eyes wandered around Yoona’s room. She was packing up and the latter frowned.

“Are you leaving the company?”

“Uh, no. I was just packing up.”

“Why would you do that?”

Yoona wasn’t too sure if she should let Seohyun know.  She decided not to.

“I’m moving to another bigger room.”

“Oh? You’re promoted?”

“Yeah, kinda.”

“I see. Congratulations!”

“Thanks, Seohyun.”

The lady talked for awhile more before she was asked to be excused.

“I have to head back to the office.”

“Sure, I won’t see you off. I’m still busy packing my stuff.”

“I understand. Please carry on with your work. I can make my way out myself.”

“Thanks, Seohyun.”

Seohyun bowed and left her office. She was making her way out to the exit when she overheard the employees chatting among themselves.

“I heard Miss Im is leaving for Europe for the next 5 years.”

“Aw man! She’s the best employer!”

“Ya! Miss Kim is a good employer too!”

“Yes I know but Miss Im is more laidback.”

“Sigh, that’s right. She’s leaving in two days time. Do you think we should throw a farewell party for her?”

“I’ll discuss with Sunmi.”

Seohyun was frowning away. Yoona was preparing to leave the country. She wondered if Yoona has spoken to Miss Jung about it. Nevertheless, she left the office immediately.

-

Jessica drove home when she realized she was around Yoona’s neighbourhood. It has been awhile since she last saw her girlfriend and she misses Yoona terribly. She took out her phone and dialled Yoona’s number. It took her few seconds before she answered.

“Sica?”

Jessica misses that voice a lot.

“Yoona, are you home?”

“Yeah, I had just made dinner for myself. Is everything alright?”

“I’m fine.”

“Is it Taeyeon?”

“No, sweetie. She’s fine. She’s at the hospital. I’m actually nearby your place now.”

“You’re not staying at the hospital?”

“Irene’s there. I was supposed to head home but I miss you.”

Jessica could hear Yoona sighing.

“Why did you sigh, Yoona?”

“Nothing, I was just listening.”

“Tell me. I know you’re feeling weary. You’re tired of us, right?”

“No, Jessica. Don’t be silly. I’m seriously fine.”

“Can I spend the night with you?”

“You’re not going home?”

“I miss you so much, Yoona.”

“Okay, why don’t you come up? I’ll prepare some dinner for you too.”

Jessica was delighted. She parked her car and quickly went up to Yoona’s apartment. The girlfriend was already waiting at the doorway. Jessica smiled immediately.

Yoona immediately put her arms around Jessica and kissed her forehead. Her heart ached when Jessica whispered “i love you” in her ears.

“Why are you losing weight?”

Yoona spoke up as she caressed Jessica’s arms gently.

“I didn’t eat much. I was busy taking care of Taeyeon.”

“Still, you have to eat properly.”

“You’re so worried for me.”

“I’ve always been, Jessica.”

Jessica smiled as she nestled her face into Yoona’s neck. 

“Let me feed you tonight.”

Jessica nodded eagerly. She changed into a child whenever she was with Yoona. Yoona made her feel her loved. She suddenly thought of Taeyeon’s words and realized that one person who makes her happy has always been Yoona.

She stared lovingly at Yoona’s back as the latter headed to the kitchen to prepare for dinner. Yoona made her sit at the dining table and quickly moved the plates of spaghetti in front of Jessica. The woman was smiling widely.

“Wow, this looks good.”

“It’s your favourite, right?”

Jessica nodded as she forked in immediately. She took the first bite and the spaghetti melted in .  Yoona looked with a smile on her face. She was relieved Jessica’s appetite was back. She must have been really tired watching over Taeyeon at the hospital.

She sat down in front of Jessica and started eating hers.

“How’s Taeyeon?”

“She’s doing fine. She’s reacting well to the treatment.”

“So Irene’s there?”

“Yeah, she’s there with her Omma.”

Jessica seemed relieved about it.

“You’re happier than before, right?”

“I’m just glad Irene has decided to bury the hatchet with her mother. They are like sisters now.”

The radiance on Jessica’s face was evident to Yoona that she did the right thing. She took the back seat and now the family has grown closer. She nodded and continued eating.  She wasn’t aware that Jessica was staring at her.

Jessica, on the other hand, noted something was different with Yoona. She wasn’t that lively and happy anymore. She knew Yoona was slowly distancing herself away from her. Her smile wasn’t there anymore.

After dinner, Jessica was ushered into the living room and Yoona cut some fruits as desert.  The other was still watching her intently.  Minutes later, Yoona appeared with a plate of fruits.

“Baby, can you sit with me?”

“Sure.”

Yoona sat next to her and Jessica cuddled her immediately. Yoona was taken aback.

“What’s wrong?”

“I miss being in your embrace.”

“Oh.”

“Is that it?”

“Huh?”

“You cannot seem to answer me in full sentences anymore.  You’re a little cold towards me lately.”

Yoona bit her lower lip; how could Jessica know?

“Baby, I could feel it. I’m in love with you. It tears me apart whenever I think of you.  It feels like you’re giving up on me. No matter how I tried to mend my broken heart with Taeyeon, it doesn’t seem to feel right anymore. Do you want to know why?”

“Why?”

“Because you’re the rightful owner of my heart now.”

“Jessica, you said before. You loved Taeyeon for the last 20 years. And did you remember the very first time I asked you out? You told me your heart is closed and nobody could enter again. You admitted to me before that you could never love another person again except for Taeyeon.”

Jessica’s heart sank. Her intuition was right. Yoona was slowly giving up on them.

“That was because I thought you could never touch my heart the same way as she did. You gave up so much for me and Taeyeon and that made me fell in love with you. You took good care of me; you made effort to make Irene happy. Yuri was surprised at your change. And Taeyeon seemed to agree with her. She has never seen you being so happy with someone before. This was the first time.”

“I touched your heart? We have only been together for 5 months.”

“That’s enough to make me fall head over heels for you.”

Yoona was perplexed. Her heart was halved yet again.

“Please, Yoona. Please don’t give up on us. I just need some time to settle things with Taeyeon and then I’d return to you. Taeyeon has agreed to share responsibility of Irene. She’s still part of my life as a family; nothing more than that.”

Yoona kept silent.

-

Irene was with Taeyeon. Her Omma was sitting up with her back resting against the bed rest. Irene was sitting next to her; on the bed. Irene seemed to be troubled.

“Why are you looking so perplexed?”

 “Huh? Nothing, Omma. It’s just about school.”

“School? Is there any problem?”

“I’m just tired. There are too many assignments to be completed lately.”

“Do you need my help?”

“You can help?”

“I’m a managing director in the company. I think if it’s about business, I might be able to help.”

Irene suddenly beamed. Her smile was wide and happy. Taeyeon was marvelled at how much her daughter resembles her so much.

“Omma, can we take a selfie?”

“Oh?”

“I’ve taken with Mommy before. Let me show you!”

Irene took out her phone and showed Taeyeon the first ever selfie she took with Jessica. Both Mommy and daughter were smiling widely.

“You seemed nervous.”

“Yeah, I was. That was the first time Mommy initiated to take a selfie together.”

“Oh.”

Taeyeon’s guilt came quickly. She was the reason why Soo Yeon had a hard time accepting Irene as her daughter.

“I’m sorry.”

“Huh? Why are you apologizing to me?”

“I was the reason for your tinted childhood years. You grew up without your Mommy.”

Irene ceased her movements and then stared at her Omma. She hated this woman at one point but when she noticed some vague wrinkles on Taeyeon’s forehead, she knew it was time for her to bury the hatchet. Her Omma has suffered a lot too.

“It’s over, Omma.  We’re fine now.  Let’s move on together, okay?”

“You don’t mind having me as your Omma?”

“What are you talking about? You’re my Omma, what.”

Taeyeon smiled sheepishly. Her heart felt warmth with her daughter’s words.

“I love you, Irene. I promise I’ll make it up to you for the rest of my life. But I don’t think I’ll return back to your Mommy.”

“Huh?”

“I think she’s better off with Yoona.”

Irene’s eyes grew larger.

“What do you mean? You’re giving up on Mommy?”

“It’s not that I’m giving up on your Mommy but I heard what you said when I was in coma. You were right. It’s difficult for the two of us to build our relationship over. It had been 20 years and I did nothing to make her feel that I’m still worth her love.”

“She still cares for you.”

“Yes, but she loves Yoona.”

Irene nodded.

“I know. I could see it in Mommy’s eyes each time Yoona omma is with her.”

“But Mommy wants me to stay with her as a family.”

“Of course, you should! You can stay in the same room with me!”

“But I think we’ll not be staying with Mommy Fany and Mommy Yuri anymore.”

Irene’s mouth was wide open. Taeyeon was amused at her daughter’s comical reaction.

“What’s with the big mouth?”

“We’re not staying with them? But why?!”

“We need a place of our own. We will probably need a bigger place so that Yoona Omma can stay with us too.”

“Oh.”

Irene didn’t think of that. She kept pondering with her slightly crooked eyebrow and her index finger her chin. Taeyeon giggled softly. Her daughter was acting cute again.

“What?”

“You’re acting cute.”

“No, I’m not!”

Irene protested.

“Your actions are cute.”

“Mommy said my actions are similar like yours.”

Taeyeon frowned.

“So you’re saying your cute actions are inherited from me?”

Irene nodded cutely. Taeyeon couldn’t decide if she should be offended or tickled but Irene was quick to embrace and cuddle next to her.

“I have your DNA. I even look like you which I don’t mind at all. Many of my friends have commented how pretty I am. I used to think otherwise but after seeing you, I’m glad that I look a lot like you.”

“You meant what you said?”

“Yes Omma. I meant every single word I’ve said. I’m proud to be your daughter. I’m Kim Taeyeon’s daughter. I’d shout it out the world if I have to prove it to you.”

Taeyeon’s heartstrings pulled in many different levels. Irene evoked every bit of her affections and Taeyeon couldn’t thank God enough for reuniting her family together. Suddenly it felt alright if Soo Yeon chose Yoona over her; just as long as she has Irene with her.

“Omma, can I ask you a question?”

“Yes?”

“What do you think of Professor Choi?”

“Hm?”

“She has seen you through thick and thin and stuck by your side throughout these years. She has given nothing but her greatest efforts to help you in any possible ways. Don’t you think you can open your heart for someone else, other than Mommy?”

“What are you suggesting, Irene?”

Taeyeon was staring intently at her daughter.  Irene remained undaunted and then gently placed her hand above Taeyeon’s chest.  She smiled wistfully.

“I want you to be happy, Omma. I know you still love Mommy so much but you can sense that Mommy’s heart is slowly falling for someone else, right?  If you can give Professor Choi a chance, perhaps you’d be happier than you had ever been with Mommy.”

“You’re matchmaking me with your professor?”

“Give it a thought, Omma.”

Taeyeon put her daughter’s words to heart. She nodded.

“I will.”

-

Meanwhile Dr Shim was on the phone with someone.  He looked serious.

“Yes, she’s reacting well to the treatment and medication. Miss Jung and her daughter have been taking turns to look after Erika.”

“That’s great to know. But will she recover fully?”

“The treatment is aided to prolong her livelihood. To be fully recovered, she needs a good heart replacement.”

“So you’re saying she has to be under medication and treatment for the rest of her life?”

“Yes, Ma’am, that’s right.”

“But how can she find a new heart?”

“She’s on the list but there are several other people waiting too. But honestly, for this organ, it’s difficult to get a new replacement.”

There was a pause on the other line. It lasted for a few minutes before the person spoke up again.

“Can I give her my heart?”

Dr Shim was taken aback by the suggestion.

“You’re going to give your heart? That means you have to .........”

“Yes, I’ll die.”

“Are you sure about this? This is a matter of life and death. Is it really worth it?”

“She has finally reunited with her family. I don’t want this happiness to be short-lived for her. She has more reasons to live now.”

“But...”

“Don’t let her know. Just keep it anonymous. I’ll settle everything from here.”

“Are you serious about this? You need acknowledgement from your family members before we can precede this.”

“I understand.”

“Okay but I hope you do think about this again. This is a serious issue. Please, Professor Choi; give it a thorough thought.”

Dr Shim was serious with her words.

-

 

 

 

As spoken, this is the TaengSic story as a compensation.

 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/927283/1

 

hope you enjoy it.